Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2005 and earlier

Comments

• I'm trying to buy a car from a junkyard to get parts for my eclipse...does the body parts of the gs model fit the body of a gs-t? specificly the door, fender, and rear panel...when they say that the gs-t has a mold cladding, what's mold cladding? If any body can reply to and give me any info..please do, thanx
  • lngtonge18

Meant to get back on sooner and let you know how it turned out with my eclipse. After i took you up on your suggestion i haven't had that same problem since. It was pretty dirty in there. It was hard to get it cleaned out very well because the opening was so small. I didn't want the wipe to get stuck in there (which it almost did) My car has come close to doign in once or twice in the last week but that is probably also a product of the cold and i probably need to go back in and find a way to clean it out a little more. thanks again. you probably saved me a good bit of dough from taking it to the shop.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Glad to know I could help! You are very welcome :)
  • i'm a longtime celica owner but it looks like i can't get a new one in my area. thinking of the eclipse as the syling is great, but is the car reliable as Toyota? Want reliable, easy to fix (rarely needed) , car similar to celica. seems from what i read on the board that there's alot of lemons from mitsubishi. experiences? thanks.
    The 95-99 Eclipses equipped with the Dodge Neon engine has had its fair share of problems. But the 2000-05 models are 100% Mitsubishi and very reliable. No major or common problems with these cars. It does have a different personality compared to the Celica though. The Celica is more of a light tossable car with a high winding low torque engine. The Eclipse is not quite as agile, has a heavier feel to it, and uses strong low end torque four cylinder and V6 engines. If you need an automatic, either Eclipse will be a more satisfying daily performer then the anemic Celica.
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    daoes anybody know what kind of Autotrans fluid is For use with 2004 Mitsubishi's? Manual says Diamond SPIII fluid, but parts store does not carry any such thing, but they say ATF+3 is for use in "most" mitsubishi's, it is chrysler's specs for use with mitsu also,

The reason I ask is My trans fluid dipstick was taken out and mis-placed for over 6,000 miles thru snow rain, dirt roads, puddles etc...And My friend and I can change it but I don;t want to put in the wrong fluid...Is Mercon/dexron III or ATF+III both ok? Any ideas , Thanks, Sean
  • im in the market looking at an 02 gs white with 30k and everything stock for 10300 is that a good deal what kind of problems should i be expecting out of it it was a repo from wells fargo bank and the girl is a friend claiming to be getting me the "hookup" but she has no other info other than the options it has and mileage so im wondering if anyof u guys could help on whether i should go for it and if i do should i expect to haveta start replacing parts soon... thanks for any help

Chris
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    Chris, during my search for my new Mitsu the 2.4L they have used for years seems like a solid proven engine, Be careful with a repo, you stated wells-fargo, my guess is it would have been a Mitsubishi Credit repo, not an independent bank, considering the millions of dollars Mitsu swallowed for bad loans, seems like a fair price thats what the '02 Galants are going for here, and Eclipses generally sold for about 1,000 more than the same year galant here anyways, By all means spend $100 to get It looked over, if nothing more than piece of mind,not to sound paranoid but just be carefull with especially a repo unit, my friend knew he was going to get his truck repoed a a couple weeks in advance and drove the hell outa it, besides a hard impact on the underside, im sure the motor aged quickly those couple weeks. Deffinetly Run a Carfax on it for $15.00 very cheap re assurance, I'm sure the bank has a certain Level of care when re-selling a repo unit, but who knows..Have fun, good luck mitsus are fun :)
  • i got the car checked out on carfax and it had 11 things on there few accidents a broken windshield and such so naturally i declind the car and so thats that ill prolly just take some time and save up for a new car or a more reputable seller who will be upfront about problems with it so again thanks for the idea about carfax
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Anyone care to guess as to how low the i4 and V6 versions of the Eclipse will go? I see that the TMV price is around $22K now as listed on Edmunds. The new Mustang V6 sells for less than that as listed price. Before the new 2006 Eclipse hits the sales floor, will we see $4000 off on those instock? I can see $18k for a v6 and maybe as high as $17k for an i4 with some options, but over $20k for a front wheel drive and a company so near to going bust, I can not believe those prices will hold. If the all new ones start under $20k, then just maybe a year older design, with consideration of the resale value is worth around $16K ? Anyone out there getting super deals yet???

Loren
  • Hi guys and gals,

I purchased a 2004 RS model last September. In less than 4 months the condenser had a leak. Dealer service dept. claimed that a piece of rock or metal might have got in and damaged the condenser during driving. I had to pay 800 to repair the condenser of a brand new car. Really upset. Anyone had the same piece of bad luck or it is just me? Any advise? Thanks.
    It happens. Stroke of bad luck on your part, but I have heard this complaint once before on this board. Large grill openings increase the chance flying objects can damage the condenser and radiator. The Eclipse has a pretty big opening. I would suggest buying some metal mesh from your local hardware store and install it behind the bumper cover so that it covers the large center opening. This should keep it from occuring again.
    Ah, yes, the no grill problem. A Miata does not have a grill, but there are aftermarket inexpensive ones to be have for say $20. I added one to my car. Sorry to hear of the damage done to your car. There must be a way to put a protective grill in the opening. Better luck ahead to ya!

Loren
  • erlindaerlinda Posts: 8
    Hi,

I'm working with my son on his '91 Eclipse, 1.8l, manual trans, non-turbo. The darn thing just won't start. He has replaced the TPS, the ECM (it was bad), plugs, wires, throttle control relay (it tested bad), and tested many more components than have been replaced, including the IATC & motor. The engine cranks but won't start. The distributor is putting out just over 12 volts. The fuel pump is putting fuel to the injector rails, the injectors have been cleaned and checked. The #3 plug is not sparking as strongly as the others, could this be a distributor problem? We're stumped. Has anyone else had this problem and how did it get resolved.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Go over to the "Maintenance" section of this website, and post this question int the "Got a Quick Techinical Question" Forum. There are some pretty astute mechanics over there that can probably help you.
  • hebbianxhebbianx Posts: 1
    I just got a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the hood seems to be stuck. It woeked fine yesterday, then it stoped working. The hood popper doesn't seem to work anymore so it won't release the hood. I've tried looking underneath the car, but I can't seem to find the release mechanism. Any ideas how to get the bottom of this problems? Thanks.
  • saravsarav Posts: 4
    Hi,

I'm looking at a white 2000 GT with 62K miles on it for a price of 11300. Is that a good deal? What kind of problems can I expect from it? Will the car touch 120K miles without any major problems? How reliable is the V6 engine? I will be glad if this car works for another 3 to 4 years without too much maintenance charge (ie only regular stuff like oil change, brakes, etc). What is the actual mpg the 2000 GT gives? I will be driving it in San Diego, CA (to and from work).

Thanks,
    Sarav
    Since you can buy a new 2005, after discounts, for $16,500, I would say a 2000 GT is overpriced. The 3.0 engine is OK, though I have seen some puffing a bit of blue smoke as they age. Overall it has been a good workhorse engine powering a lot of cars Mitsu. and DamlierChrysler products. It takes a bit more gas than the i4 engine, and it requires premium, so I would recommend the i4, which has generous horse power anyway. If you want a V6, for around $12k+ you could buy a Mustang in years 2003 or 2004. If you get an Eclipse, I would shoot for around the same price in the i4 cyl. engine - same years and give or take a thousand. If you want as close to 100% reliability, go with a Corolla or Civic which start around $14k with a stick, on up. You may look at Hyundai Elantra too. I like the looks of the Eclipse, so I can see why you are interested in that car. They are pretty good GT cars in that they are a more relaxed ride than previous model of the Eclipse, or a Celica. So for commuting and some fun driving it is an OK mix. I do like the Mustang for safety, as you are in lots of traffic, and they are 5 star rated. Rear wheel drive cars in the long run may cost less to maintain, and resale remains somewhere in the avg, to better than avg. range. The Eclipse may prove worse than average for resale, so you need to buy new at a discount and hold, or buy used for a low price, like you are thinking about, though that deal seems a bit high. And V6 in Eclipse is premium gas, vs. Mustang regular gas. Gas this Summer could be $3 or more and next year, who knows, maybe $3.50 or more, if you can get it??? We are close to $2.50 right now for regular at the discount stations - ouch!!!
    Loren
  • markcmarkc Posts: 5
    Does anyone has problems with the emission of their Eclispe? I own a 98' GS with under 75K miles and it fail emission with HC being too high. Any help is appreciated.