Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does gas at $4 and higher impact you?

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,929
    Seems like every time I've pulled off on the NJ Turnpike for a rest stop I've seen a cop car or three sitting there.

Funny pic for Fox to choose to accompany the story - kids in line, people yakking and smiling. Where are the storm troopers?

And how many days warning did these people have of Sandy anyway? They had plenty of time to top up their cars and their gas cans before the storm hit.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,166
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Like we told people that waited till the last minute to get a phone installed. Poor planning on your part, Does not constitute an emergency on ours. Wait your turn.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    edited November 2012
    I thought all the problems in NJ and NY had been solved by the flyover of the Obama with Christie yesterday? While people in NY and Jersey suffer with shortages, our gas prices are dropping rapidly from the $3.45 to which they had jumped in antipation of the storm's effects on refineries--now at $3.27-$3.22. They had been at $3.02 in part of the area.

Some stations had jumped to $3.79 instead of $3.45 last week. The local gas/fast market manager told me the prices were dropping because the supply disruption from the Eastern refineries didn't occur. The oversupply and slow economy in Midwest has the prices dropping here according to her company's pricing guru.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    RUG has dropped to $3.389/gallon at my local station here in Colorado. Down over a dime in the past 10-14 days.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,679
    I sure wish that was reflected here! We're still at ~$4.10... as though it weren't expensive enough living in the subarctic. :mad:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    With the exception of two stations across the street from each other none of the gas prices here 20 miles from where Sandy made landfall has budged an inch. No lines, either!
    My son and family moved from Wasilla to Southwest Indiana. They are having sticker shock on everything. Bought a 3 bedroom house for $40k. Filled their Yukon for $3.25 per gallon. Eggs for 19 cents a dozen and a gallon of milk for 99 cents. 3 big bags of fresh veggies at the farm stand for 8 bucks. One mile to cross the river into Kentucky and it is even cheaper.
    The problem for recent ex-pats from Alaska is that they see a head of lettuce for 39 cents. So they buy three of them. :)

Milk here is higher than gas now, although you can find it for $2.99 at one place. If you buy gas, lol.

RUG has dropped to $3.389/gallon at my local station here in Colorado. Down over a dime in the past 10-14 days.

I filled up yesterday afternoon at $3.389 (plus I saved $.20/gallon with grocery discounts, so I paid $3.189).

Last night I noticed the same station had dropped their price of RUG to $3.359.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,305
    19 cents for eggs, milk 99 cents - did they also get a time machine and go back to 1975? Seriously...

I am in a place where fuel is over $7/gallon - things seem to be ok. No poser trucks, oversized fake SUVs, cardboard 'n plywood mcmansions etc though, and the public transit ranges from workable to amazing.
    I have been getting Organic Valley 2% milk for my wife lately. $4.29 for 1/2 gallon. Cheap generic brand milk here is from $2.79 -$2.99 1/2 gallon. CA has protection laws for dairy farmers. Too bad they don't protect the consumers on gas or milk.

We are within a 100 miles of the nations salad bowl. And rarely get a head of lettuce under a buck. It is fresh year round. Still cheap enough to not grow our own.

I filled at Costco yesterday. Down to $3.79.
    edited November 2012
    That 2% is about as expensive as the flax milk my wife tried. She liked but it didn't agree with her any better than cow's milk. So back to the rice milk at $3.40 a half gallon at Walmart or over $6 if she runs out and buys it locally. (Can't handle soy either). The non-rBST stuff I get out of Marquette usually runs $3.99 a gallon.

Doing a rice milk run is okay since gas at WallyWorld is usually twenty or more cents lower than around here, so it's easy to justify a drive. Plus you just have to get out of Dodge now and then. :shades:

I switched to Organic Valley Milk, because it comes from contented cows fed on natural pasture grass here in CA. That and my wife really likes the taste better than generic brand milk like Alta Dena or Swiss Maid.

I have to drive 13 miles to a yuppie grocery to get it. And gas is not cheap anywhere in So CA.

I don't drink milk of any kind. Butter and Cheese are my two dairy weaknesses. Tillamook Sharp Cheddar and Real Butter.
    Better keep tabs on your vitamin D levels then. We get good "local" sharp stuff nearby; lots of good cheeseheads next door. :)

Hahahahaha! Leave it to you ex-Alaskans to put things in perspective!

Actually, my wife and I are in the process (hopefully) of buying a little old place in Venango, Pennsylvania. Not to move there (at least that's not my intent), but it will provide a welcome respite for my wife for a couple months a year. She has many family & friends nearby, so it is something she has wanted to do for a long while.

As for milk, we tend to buy almond milk quite a bit. It is approximately double the cost of your basic store brand dairy milk (~$3 for 64oz vs. 128oz), but is darn tasty (and healthy) too, so I don't mind. The end result is that it is used far more conservatively, with the replacement fluid being water. Can't beat that!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    I'll have to try almond milk. What will they think of next? I did buy some egg nog the other day that has agave in it. Seems like a waste of agave to me.

Steve,
    I live in So CA where the vitamin D is Free... :shades:
    edited November 2012
    Almond milk is good but a bit sweet. Good point about SoCal. My buddy in Seward got rain 26 days in September (he measured 32" in his bucket all month, lol). Not only does he not drink milk, he doesn't like salmon, another good D source. He just had blood work done and the D was ~15, when 30 was the minimum healthy range. :-)

Ran out of 2% so grabbed a half gallon for $4.19 at the gas station where regular is holding at $3.51 a gallon.

Wonder how much of that $4.19 is made up of diesel fuel?

edited November 2012
    The Pontiac Aztek.

When the gas light comes on you can go another 62 miles. That's good 16 miles further than you'd get in an Accord.

How far can you go after the gas light in your car comes on? (tankonempty.com)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,332
    This is the first positive comment I've heard about the Aztek (GM's Pacer, or Edsel?) since that car was introduced. Why had we not heard about this great feature before? It makes me want to run out and buy an Aztek - while supplies last - as insurance for the next natural disaster. As with insurance, you buy it hoping that you'll never need it.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    I switched to Organic Valley Milk, because it comes from contented cows fed on natural pasture grass here in CA. That and my wife really likes the taste better than generic brand milk like Alta Dena or Swiss Maid.

I have to drive 13 miles to a yuppie grocery to get it.

Here's a little tip to perhaps save a few pennies on milk. Right around the expiration date on the jug is a code. That's the dairy the milk came from. Around here, Hood and Garelick Farms are the two big brand names. But they supply all the milk for the store brands. Compare the codes between brand name and store brand. Same milk, cheaper price.
    I can't believe that many fools let their vehicles run out of gas. The only time I pushed a vehicle past the empty light in the last 30 years was that new VW Passat TDI. We went 55 miles after the light came on, and I was sweating it. I wanted to get to an ARCO in CA that had ULSD. That was April of 2005. Oregon was still selling high sulfur Diesel. The first tank of dirty diesel, put in by the dealer, was the only time in the 13 months I owned it that it did not get ULSD. That was the only time I pushed it past the light coming on. I generally fuel up when the tank gets close to a quarter full. I ran out of gas out fishing in Alaska back in the early 1970s. Had to walk 16 miles to Soldotna. I vowed never again to let that happen.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,142
    I think the last time I ran out of gas was back in 1998, in my Mom's old '86 Monte Carlo while delivering pizzas. Fortunately I had run out right across the street from a gas station!

While I have nobody to blame but myself, I think the reason it happened was that I had gotten accustomed to cars that had fuel warning lights. I was used to old cars not having warning lights, but my '79 Newport and '82 Cutlass Supreme both had them, so it didn't even dawn on me, until it ran out of gas, that the '86 Monte wouldn't have one. :blush:

My 2000 Intrepid's fuel light would usually come on when it had burned about 13 gallons of fuel, leaving about 4 left. So, depending on my driving habits and whether it was local or on a trip, I might only have 70-80 miles left, or as much as 110-120.

My 2000 Park Ave's low fuel light will start to come on once it's burned about 13 gallons as well, but I think it has an 18.5 gallon tank, so I have a bit more range.
    edited November 2012
    16 miles? LOL, that would do it.

I often let the light come on before I refuel but if I'm on the road, I just watch the trip odometer and go by it. It gets reset every fill-up. I figure I get my best mpg when I'm not hauling the extra gas weight around.

The last time I ran out of gas was in the Quest in Anchorage when it was pretty new. I stuck a gallon of gas in the back and intentionally ran it dry. Would up dying less than a block from the house. Poured the gallon in and went to the station.

Cars these days probably would burn up the fuel pump in two minutes, and wouldn't restart unless you primed all the injectors or worse.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    I'm the opposite. I've never run out of gas. I trace this to when my older brother and I shared a car with a dead gauge. He always assumed there was gas in it and I was constantly bailing him out. I started always assuming there was no gas in it.

Made for a couple fifty cent fill ups but worth the while.
    edited November 2012
    "Thirteen cents of every retail dollar is spent at gas stations, but that level has stagnated in recent years amid weaker demand.

Gas sales have been subdued amid continued weak demand in the U.S. Gasoline use posted its weakest October since 2000 last month. A modest economic recovery and continued high unemployment, as well as higher fuel-economy standards, have reduced demand.

The more goods people can get online, the less time they need to spend in the car traveling to brick-and-mortar retailers."

13 Cents of Every Retail Dollar Spent at Gas Stations (Wall St. Journal)

edited December 2012
    "AAA Michigan says gasoline prices have fallen roughly 12 cents during the past week to a statewide average of about $3.45 per gallon.

The auto club said today the average is about 15 cents per gallon more than last year at this time."

Michigan gas prices down 12 cents from last week (Detroit Free Press)

I'm ready for another road trip but my wife is balking. A three week break from the last one isn't long enough for her this go round.

With my $.10 grocery discount, I paid $3.259 at Shell for 91 premium today.

Still cost $53 to fill up, however.

RUG is now down to $3.039 at the local grocery store.
    I could live with that! I think we're down to about $3.60 now, which is the lowest I've seen around here in a good long time (well over a year). I had stopped paying attention to the fuel prices for the longest time, but the other day when I filled my five-gallon container for my plow truck and the total was under $20, well, that sure caught my eye! :sick:
    Any idea how much home heating oil is going for these days?