Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does gas at $4 and higher impact you?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    I hope Ford did a better job of stop start technology than GM. My 2005 GMC engine would stop when I went around a corner. Then the pause before restarting would cause wheel spin if you had the accelerator partially depressed. I hated it. Would have disabled if possible on that POC GMC Hybrid. They could save a lot more gas by getting rid of Ethanol in our fuel.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I agree. I'm leery of all these techie ideas, be it stop/start or cylinder deactivation. Seems to me that a slight computer blip and presto - a big dollar repair. As for ethanol, E-85; who asked for it, maybe ADM? Now we've got EPA wanting to cram it down our throat. Congress has already screwed up our light bulbs, now they want to control other aspects of our lives and decisions...and it seems to be both parties to boot.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    Interesting blurb in the WSJ today about the isolated California gas market.

"California is a closed system," adds John Demopoulos, an energy analyst at Argus Media. "The whole thing functions perfectly well when everything's going to plan. But when something unexpected happens, there's no external buffer."

Investigation into previous gasoline price spikes in California didn't find an errant hand.

Instead, it found the proverbial invisible hand—the ordering principle of supply and demand. And given the quirks of the California market, that law appears to be working just as you would expect it to."

California's Gas Price: Is There a Villain?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Gasoline prices were falling before Sandy struck, and nationally, at least, they’ve continued to drop in the storm’s aftermath.

That a storm of Sandy’s size and destruction would have such a muted impact might come as a surprise, especially given the big price spikes associated with past storms, including the 45-cent-a-gallon increase that followed Hurricane Isaac earlier this year. But several factors are working in drivers’ favor this time around.

First and most significantly, the East Coast simply isn’t that important as a gasoline supplier. The refineries in Sandy’s path make up about 8% of U.S. refining capacity. Isaac, by contrast, idled nearly half of U.S. capacity when it hit the refinery-rich Gulf Coast.

Damage also appears to have been minor."

Sandy Won’t Cause Pain at the Pump (WSJ)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

So we should direct all future Hurricanes to the East Coast and protect the refineries and offshore oil platforms in the Gulf. :shades:
    edited October 2012
    Exactly; meanwhile letting the mangrove swamps retake the Louisiana/Texas coastlines again would help dissipate a lot of the storm energy before it hits places like Port Arthur. Chevron has been working to restore a bunch of wetlands there.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Well, that's a relief! Considering that the refinery in my back yard raises prices for any excuse conceivable, despite the fact that exactly zero of them have any impact on prices here (Alaska does not export refined petroleum products), I'm glad to hear that the news media will not support an increase in fuel prices... maybe, just maybe, that means the local prices won't go up again. :sick:
    That is pretty crazy. You got all the oil and a refinery, with very little gas tax and Alaska still has high priced gas. Whatsupwithat???
    Monopoly in a closed market. They can charge whatever price they want up to the point where it would be profitable for another company to import refined fuel from outside, and the only backlash is people jacking their jaws.
    Seems like every time I've pulled off on the NJ Turnpike for a rest stop I've seen a cop car or three sitting there.

Funny pic for Fox to choose to accompany the story - kids in line, people yakking and smiling. Where are the storm troopers?

And how many days warning did these people have of Sandy anyway? They had plenty of time to top up their cars and their gas cans before the storm hit.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Like we told people that waited till the last minute to get a phone installed. Poor planning on your part, Does not constitute an emergency on ours. Wait your turn.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,045
    edited November 2012
    I thought all the problems in NJ and NY had been solved by the flyover of the Obama with Christie yesterday? While people in NY and Jersey suffer with shortages, our gas prices are dropping rapidly from the $3.45 to which they had jumped in antipation of the storm's effects on refineries--now at $3.27-$3.22. They had been at $3.02 in part of the area.

Some stations had jumped to $3.79 instead of $3.45 last week. The local gas/fast market manager told me the prices were dropping because the supply disruption from the Eastern refineries didn't occur. The oversupply and slow economy in Midwest has the prices dropping here according to her company's pricing guru.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    RUG has dropped to $3.389/gallon at my local station here in Colorado. Down over a dime in the past 10-14 days.
    I sure wish that was reflected here! We're still at ~$4.10... as though it weren't expensive enough living in the subarctic. :mad:
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    With the exception of two stations across the street from each other none of the gas prices here 20 miles from where Sandy made landfall has budged an inch. No lines, either!
    My son and family moved from Wasilla to Southwest Indiana. They are having sticker shock on everything. Bought a 3 bedroom house for $40k. Filled their Yukon for $3.25 per gallon. Eggs for 19 cents a dozen and a gallon of milk for 99 cents. 3 big bags of fresh veggies at the farm stand for 8 bucks. One mile to cross the river into Kentucky and it is even cheaper.
    The problem for recent ex-pats from Alaska is that they see a head of lettuce for 39 cents. So they buy three of them. :)

Milk here is higher than gas now, although you can find it for $2.99 at one place. If you buy gas, lol.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    RUG has dropped to $3.389/gallon at my local station here in Colorado. Down over a dime in the past 10-14 days.

I filled up yesterday afternoon at $3.389 (plus I saved $.20/gallon with grocery discounts, so I paid $3.189).

Last night I noticed the same station had dropped their price of RUG to $3.359.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    19 cents for eggs, milk 99 cents - did they also get a time machine and go back to 1975? Seriously...

I am in a place where fuel is over $7/gallon - things seem to be ok. No poser trucks, oversized fake SUVs, cardboard 'n plywood mcmansions etc though, and the public transit ranges from workable to amazing.