Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does gas at $4 and higher impact you?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I'll have to remember to fill north of the city and we won't be driving much once we get to town so hopefully I can avoid getting gas there period.

Don't get killed while in Chicago. No one has enough money to get me to drive through Chicago, Detroit, NYC etc etc etc etc. I would drive 200 miles to avoid a big city. My son in law that lives in Indiana refuses to drive anywhere in Illinois. Says they have the most corrupt cops in the USA. And no CCW. Nothing there worth the risk including the pizza.
    But I consider the term "Faux News" to be offensive because it's so far from the truth.

I don't watch any TV news but do agree. The Left has pulled the wool over the eyes of the sheep on what is honest and what is not in the Media.

I must admit I have become addicted to one TV show. Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. The Food Network is on the basic channels that are included with our Cable Internet. I watched a couple times and was hooked. Guy cracks me up and he hits the wildest eateries in the USA. NOTHING else on TV is worth my time.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Bah, there you go again. I have Chicago, Seattle and Anchorage down for the planned trip and then NYC the next month and hopefully LA sometime this summer. Still trying to figure out how to work in Mexico City this year and not go completely broke. :shades:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,682
    >Chicago, Seattle and Anchorage ... NYC...LA ...Mexico City

Well, it sure sounds like $4.xx gas is NOT going to affect Steve's traveling. That's a lot of miles. :blush:

This message has been approved.

>refuses to drive anywhere in Illinois. Says they have the most corrupt cops in the USA.

That was true back in my undergrad days at BSU: when visiting lady friends from college in "The Region" of NW Indiana, they said to tuck a $20 bill behind my driver license to hand it to the cop with the bill underneath if I got stopped in that area.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Lol, that would apply to lake county!
    >lake county!

The advice was primarily for Illinois and Cook Cty, but included NW Indiana.

Anchorage is hardly a large city, except for Alaskans. I can honestly say if I never go back to Alaska I will not miss it. Seattle may have the worst traffic in the USA, or at least tied with Los Angeles. Life is too short to spend time fighting traffic in big cities. Not to mention they are all cesspools of inhumanity. Gas is too expensive to waste it caught in a traffic jam. I will always take the roads less traveled, and avoid the interstate highways. Small towns and back country highways are very appealing to me. I have mapped out our trip to Ohio and Indiana this Spring. We will try to avoid all major cities. We may go through Dallas to visit family. I think we can avoid all the other cities over a million people. My wife loves to look through thrift shops in small towns. I cannot imagine myself in Mexico City. You are a brute for punishment.
    they said to tuck a $20 bill behind my driver license to hand it to the cop with the bill underneath if I got stopped in that area.

That sounds like Mexico 20 years ago. Only $10 was plenty there. I have had traveling friends say to avoid Louisiana as the state troopers are out to get tourists on the Interstates. I rarely see any cops on the secondary highways.
    edited March 2013
    I love 'em all (and I love the free air miles - this next trip will wipe 'em all out for good though, dropped the airline affinity card a while back).

If the van dies and we get a 40 mpg rig, I suspect we'll spend the same on gas, but just go more (assuming the in-laws stay healthy). The law of unintended consequences lives on.

I updated my spreadsheets over the weekend. Since getting the '99 van, we've spent ~$21,000 on gas for it (182k @ 21.5 mpg, assuming $2.50 gas on average). Spent another $6k on gas for the Subaru since '03.

Really should go to one vehicle getting 40mpg and save $10k plus insurance and fees over the next decade. Maybe we will once we move closer to a bigger city that has dealerships and mechanics. ;)
    I can see you in the GLK250 Bluetec. EZ 40 MPG highway. No problem driving to Mexico City. Not sure how MB diesel would do with non ULSD.
  • berriberri Posts: 3,996
    Heck, the far right and far left are both pulling the wool over people's eyes and Fox is a propaganda outlet for the the tea party while MSNBC is one for the left wingers.
    If you fly into Mexico City, just be careful of independent taxi's that can be waiting to get you mugged. The weather there is often quite nice because of the higher altitude.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    The advice was primarily for Illinois and Cook Cty, but included NW Indiana.

Yes, I was referring to Lake County Indiana, which is on the NW Indiana border with Illinois.
    The buses are so good there the only place I've driven is northern Baja. I think we've hit over 20 of the Mexican states, and never had to wait even an hour for a connection.
    >propaganda outlet for the the tea party

Guess you must have missed the "robust, fair, and balanced" in
    Pew's report.

"While Fox's opinion programming clearly slants to the right (albeit with no shortage of left-leaning guests), much of its news programming is robust, fair and balanced. Not so at MSNBC. According to a new nonpartisan analysis by the respected Pew Research Center, MSNBC barely boasts any news coverage at all:"

edited March 2013
    I was eavesdropping at breakfast at the local cafe yesterday and three guys were talking about the mills closing around here and how the fix was in and how the union guys all got shafted while the bosses got golden parachutes.

One guy then complained that the liberal media was trying to make all the unions look bad.

I managed not to do a spit-take with my coffee. :shades:

Perception is everything. Back to the topic?
    If you fly into Mexico City, just be careful

If I were to fly into Mexico City it would only be an airport transfer point to some place nice. Like Costa Rica or San Miguel de Allende. I may be forced to visit Belize, my little brother is building a retirement home there.

http://www.eco-futures.com/discoverbelize.html
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,575
    I have had traveling friends say to avoid Louisiana as the state troopers are out to get tourists on the Interstates. I rarely see any cops on the secondary highways.

Back in 2001 I got busted by the cops outside of Jennings, Louisiana. I forget how fast I was going, but it was flow of traffic. Of course, that doesn't matter. Ticket was something like $180.

In 2002, I was coming through Louisiana again, and made sure to do the speed limit. I remember though, once we got near the Mississippi state line, the cops were out, swarming like flies on crap. They were speeding, cutting drivers off, having a lot of near-misses, all in the name of catching an out-of-stater before they hit the state line. Essentially, saying that in their mind, giving someone a $200 ticket is worth risking lives and property. And the police wonder why they get such a bad rap.
    I think the south has a reputation for being notorious for ripping off out of state drivers. Although I don't know if that is as true today as years back. I remember being stationed in Georgia back in the 70's. Between rip off gas stations and police speed traps, the governor actually went on TV to warn people about it.