Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does gas at $4 and higher impact you?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    I remember the Bob Newhart show in the 1970s with Suzanne Pleshette. That was pretty good. Don't think I ever saw the second show he had.

With the price of gas more people should just stay home and watch videos, rather than wasting gas going to the theater. Not to mention the horrible price for movie tickets and lousy popcorn. My wife still uses the trusty crank popcorn popper. We buy the 8lbs of Orville's best at Costco. And only use real butter on our popcorn. Got to keep the omega6 intake down. Then settle back for a good episode of Poirot, Foyle's war or Morse from our video collection.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,946
    That's what we need to do around here - make a reality show and show average people "beating" the dealer (or the gas pumps).

Well, there is this coming up:

Edmunds.com to Hire Six New Compact Car Shoppers; Fun Work Intended to Turn Consumers into Experts
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    There was one episode where they showed an early 80's Cutlass Ciera, and it was brown, perhaps in an attempt to keep some continuity with the "On Golden Pond" B-roll footage of the '73 Delta that was used in the opening credits. And, there was one episode where George Utley was serving on the volunteer fire department, and dropped the keys to the fire engine down in a storm drain, and there was an emergency call. Kirk, the guy who owned the Minuteman Café before Larry and the Darryls took over, suggested they load up the ladder in Dick's car and he responded something like "We are not going to fight a fire in an Oldsmobile!"

So even though that '73 Delta was never shown outside of the credits, they did at least try to keep a bit of an Olds continuity.

There was also an episode where either Tom Utley, or that guy who was always losing jobs, got a job as a used car salesman, and I think there was a thinly-disguised Cavalier in the showroom. Other than that, the only cars they'd show were in stock-footage exterior location shots. For instance, sometimes you can see an Omni/Rizon or perhaps a Rabbit drive past the Stratford. And there were a few exterior small-town shots that would show cars parked at the curb, driving past, etc.

As for the 70's "Bob Newhart Show", I don't think they ever showed his car, although they've made references to both Bob and Emily having their own cars. I thought I heard someone say there was a Monte Carlo in one episode, but I never saw it. And I seem to remember an episode or two where they'd mention renting a car to go out of town, so the writers weren't always consistent. There were plenty of exterior street shots though, around the Chicago area, where you'd see plenty of local traffic. There was an episode where Jerry the Orthodontist rented a conversion van to take some orphans camping, and they ended up in a parking lot in a bad neighborhood because all the campgrounds were booked up.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    >with the "On Golden Pond" B-roll footage of the '73 Delta that was used in the opening credits.

Thanks. Now I remember that from someone talking about it elsewhere.

This message has been approved.

On the subject of blasts from the past, I caught an episode of "Maude", where the characters were discussing the energy crisis, so that would put this around 1974. They were talking about cars, and Walter, Maude's husband, says to his friend Arthur (Conrad Bain), "If you're such a patriot, then why are you still driving that big 8-cylinder job?", to which he replies, "It's part of my image. Would you trust a surgeon who drove a Volkswagen?!"

And he followed that up with "And what about that car you're driving, Walter. It's foreign! That's one of the reasons General Motors is going broke!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same, I guess. Here it is, nearly 40 years later, and we're still discussing energy issues, General Motors' financial issues, etc.

Kinda funny to think that Mr. Drummond from "Diff'rent Strokes" would predict GM's bankruptcy...albeit about 35 years ahead of time!
    edited November 2013
    "Earlier this month, according to AAA Mid-Atlantic, the station sold the first sub-$3 gallon of gas in the District in five years.

AAA spokesman John B. Townsend II said the new station’s prices have consistently been 30 cents below the average for regular gas in the District, where prices are generally at least 5 percent higher than in Maryland and Virginia.

A gallon of Costco’s premium gas is cheaper than the average gallon of regular gas sold in the District, Townsend said: “That is amazing.”

The guy with the gas distribution "monopoly" in DC is naturally crying foul.

Costco-linked gas cheap but controversial (washingtonpost.com)
    Are those Blue laws from years gone by? Would they rather someone buys booze, takes a hit and drives across town to get gas. Most of those laws make no sense. Must be politically motivated by special interest.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    A monopoly? Nothing wrong with that, it's just a product of free markets, capitalism, other fairytales. I am sure he built his business himself, and deserves the spoils earned from all of the hard work he's invested. A real Horatio Alger, no doubt.

I bought Costco gas on my trip, but I don't here - the stations are zoos, people drive like recipients of botched lobotomies to begin with,and get worse when queuing up.

Gasoline has collapsed way below $4 even in this high tax state, but diesel is still usually within 20 cents of it.
    Hey, I know that Costco! I drive by it every time I go into DC. It's about as far out as you can be and still be in DC. Throw a cigarette butt out the back door, and you're practically over the Maryland line, into Fort Lincoln Cemetery.

Interesting, about those laws that gas stations can't sell booze. In Maryland they can, although in my county, you can't sell hard liquor on Sundays, only beer and wine. So, most of the liquor stores close up shop, and I think our local gas station halts sales of all booze, for whatever reason.

In DC, there's practically a liquor store on every corner, or at least a corner store that sells booze. So not letting the gas stations sell booze isn't doing a thing to stop drunk driving. Never has, never will. It's all political maneuvering, under the auspices of a greater good.

And, in that vein, to save on time and fuel, I usually combine my bi-weekly beer run with a fill-up. I leave the county to do so, as gas is usually bit cheaper up in Anne Arundel, and there's a station about a quarter mile from the discount liquor store. Of course, I'm not buying it and then drinking it on the way back!!

BTW, "bi-" does mean "every other", right? As in, "every other week", rather than "twice per week?". 'Cuz that's what I meant...every other week. Don't want to portray myself as a lush, now! :)
    The largest floating vessel in the world has taken to the water for the first time in South Korea.

At a length of 1,601 feet, the Prelude, which is owned by Shell, is 150 feet longer than the Empire State Building is high.

It is a floating liquefied natural gas facility which will allow Shell to produce natural gas at sea and then liquify it by chilling it to -260 degrees F so it can be transported around the world.

The Prelude is expected to produce 3.6 million tonnes of liquefied natural gas per year and its storage tanks have a capacity equivalent to approximately 175 Olympic swimming pools.

The facility will be connected to wells on the seabed by a series of pipes to extract gas from under the ocean.

The Prelude is expected to launch in 2017 and will then operate in a remote part of Western Australia for the next 25 years, however Shell hopes that it will help to unlock vital energy resources around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10496977/Worlds-larges- t-ship-bigger-than-Empire-State-Building-launches.html
    I would say most of the gas is wasted cruising around the Wally World parking lots looking for an empty space. We did not shop on Black Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We stayed off the road on Cyber Monday. We needed to get some groceries on Terrible Tuesday. It is obvious everyone is unemployed. They are on the roads and shopping malls. Thankfully we only have 9% unemployment. We would not be able to get out of our driveway if anymore people were on the roads.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    I wonder where this writer got this analysis from as the opposite has been happening here. Prices around here aren't the lowest in 3 years, prices haven't fallen but have risen...

One of my many questions is, with the increase in buying more fuel-efficient vehicles, driving less / shorter distances, using less fuel and so forth, when are oil/gas companies are going to use the "well, we have to increase prices b/c no one is buying enough" excuse to raise prices more. I mean, they've used every other excuse for high prices and such...
    edited December 2013
    We did not shop on Black Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

The local gym ran a BF special so we walked down and signed up.

Jae5, maybe the Energy Information Administration needs to double-check with AAA or GasBuddy.
    I agree with you. November 2010 I paid $2.81 for RUG at Costco. Last week two days before Thanksgiving at the same Costco I paid $3.45. Furthermore on 11/20/09 I paid $2.69 at Costco and on 11/21/08 the price was $1.95. So Yahoo is full of you know what. Gas is more than double what I paid on 12/10/08 when RUG dropped to $1.57&9/10ths. These are all at the same Costco store.

Not sure what Yahoo is trying to spin, but they do not have their facts straight.
    And in late summer 08, say 5 years and 3 months ago, it was about $1/gallon more than now. Today's price is not much higher than a 2006 peak either.

Interesting to watch the delta between gas vs diesel - gas has fallen quite a bit, while at one local station, diesel has been 3.99 for what seems like maybe 4 months now.
    Diesel has been $3.99 forever here. RUG has been hanging around $3.39 for a few weeks now.
    Diesel has been high because you and I bought diesel vehicles. Don't forget summer of 08 oil hit $150 barrel. It has not been close to that price since. That was purely market manipulation by guys like Soros that made about $2 billion shorting oil, after enticing the market high.

May of 2006 we hit $3.31. Stayed mostly in the mid $2s. May of 07 we hit $3.29. July of 2008 was the peak here at $4.25. I filled once at Shell in June 08 and paid $4.59. Within 5 months it was below 2 bucks. Then in January 09 it headed back over $2 and has not been below since.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    I think diesel is high because of all the demand overseas that allows it to be exported out of our refineries. I believe it also shares some similarities to heating oil and jet fuel in the refining process.
    I think that might be part of it. There's still a slight mpg vs price advantage for diesel vs PUG for vehicles that require it (being a foolish cheapskate and running RUG in a new MB doesn't count), but it's certainly less than 9 months ago. Some of the self-titled capitalists who managed that run up should have been strung up on some kind of economic terrorism laws, but god forbid anyone is held accountable for financial crimes, some entitled middle agers don't like the thought.

From what I can see in the gasbuddy national historic charts, a peak in 06 was only maybe 25-30 cents less than now. Many things have risen a lot more than that, since. But yeah, since 2010 or so, it's been a steady climb.