Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Vibration

trip1trip1 Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Nissan
message: I have a 1999.5 PF and have a vibration b/t 60-75 mph. It has
been there from day one and I currently have 33,000 miles on it. The
dealer has tried everything. A new 2001 today did the same thing.

What can I do? Who can I contact?

Thanks in advance. I’m at a loss in this.

My e-mail is trip@uab.edu

Trip Farmer

Comments

• This is a common problem on many SUV's, including my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. The problem is in one of three places:

1.) The wheels/tires are NOT properly balanced. Around 60/75 mph, a common range for the steering/vehicle vibration (shimmy, as they say in the biz) to begin, the wheels will vibrate in unison causing the full body vibration -- it SHOULD stop vibrating once you gain more speed .. say around.. 80 mph+.

2.) Check the alignment (including toe-in/caster positioning) on the front wheels.
    3.) The TYPE of tire is crucial. I experienced this problem from day one with my 1998 Rodeo, until I installed Yokohama Tires -- then it went away completely! The tires I had before were Goodyear SUV tires (i'm not quite sure of the type, but i can look it up for you). Now, I have 50K miles on the car and just got a brand new set of Firestone Firehawk SS20 tires, and no problems! The key is to install either a passenger tire (as opposed to a "big-toothed" light-truck tire (i.e. with non-passenger tire tread)) and this will eliminate most of your problems in city/highway driving scenarios. I doubt you do much offroading, as this will be the only thing limited by the passenger tire set.

Lemme know how it goes!

Pete
This discussion has been closed.
Pathfinder Vibration - Car Forums at Edmunds.com