Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Best Service Facilities

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
edited April 10 in Subaru
Share the best, or your favorite, place to have your Subaru serviced.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    I've had both our Subarus serviced at Russell Subaru in Catonsville Maryland. I've been going there since 1996, and haven't had any problems.

Now... as to their sales staff—they've got at least one real bozo that I know of, for sure.

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Two excellent body shops in the Ottawa area.

European Auto Care Bentley Ave. Nepean.
    Hunt Club Collision Leitrim Road gloucester.

Excellent Mechanic Hunt Club Auto Service.
    1434 Hunt Club Road Ottawa.
    Cheers Pat.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I've tried four others in Central NJ. They have a very knowledgable technical staff, helpful service advisors and reasonable prices. They have customers from NYC and PA.

Last time I was there I met a lady from my town. She also chooses to make the 35-40 minute drive because it's worth it. Went to the showroom on my last visit and thought I was talking to the sales manager. Turned out he was the President of the Dealership.
    Dennis
  • cin4cin4 Posts: 30
    Karen,
    Thanks for setting this site up! As a new Subaru owner, it will be good to see what others have to say about dealer service in my area (Austin, TX.)

To anyone whose Subaru is no longer under warranty, I highly recommend Import Auto Center in Austin for service. I took my Mazda to them for years, and they did great work - always right the first time. Once I'm no longer covered by warranty, I'll be going back to them.
    Cin
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    But isn't this what "Dealers and pricing" is for? I will post all comments on the subject there instead of here, too redundent.

-mike
    I was thinking the same thing. Although your favorite service facility doesn't have to necessarily be a Dealer.
    Dennis
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'd rather see it all in dealers and pricing than have a separate topic, otherwise it will get outta control the # of topics we have in here...

-mike
    Like the i-club? :-)
    Dennis
  • kwelsskwelss Posts: 21
    I've got the world's best mechanic (tm)-- honest, efficient, frighteningly competent-- who does Japanese cars as well as European.

He's been taking care of my Honda Civic for years, and I'll be taking my Subie there for service in the future.

Anil Shah
    Fremont European
    (510) 226-9010
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    I think, negative references should be posted.

For repair, I definitely do NOT recommend Bay Fair Auto Repair shop in San Leandro. Their owner (Mahoni) is kind of ok, but nowdays almost all the work is done by his underlings, and they screw up all the time.

For a body work, stay away from B&S Hacienda shops in Livermore and Pleasanton. Just read about my 3+ months ordeal with getting rear-ended Forester fixed ( in the Meet the Members thread) and you'll see what I mean.
  • bert14bert14 Posts: 8
    I'm considering buying my first Subaru (after years with Toyota wagons), and for me service is one of the most important factors in deciding on a dealer. What can anyone tell me of the dealership and service departments west of Boston and in southern New Hampshire? Reliability, warranty use, loaners, reasonable prices, loyalty to customers, parts availability, etc.? The nearest dealer to me is in Concord, Mass. They're about to open another showroom and shop in Acton, Mass. I'm willing to travel further, if necessary.
  • texsubarutexsubaru Posts: 242
    Since someone specifically asked: So far, had all my service performed at Gillman Hyundai Subaru on South I-35. Absolutely no complaints so far, but it did bother me that there was a lengthy period last year when they seemed to be having hefty turnover in service advisers -- every time I called or came by, had to deal with someone different.

Haven't had anything done at the other Subaru dealership in town -- Austin Subaru, near Highland Mall -- because when I've called for quotes on parts or services, their prices been consistently and notably higher. (They share their service dept. with adjacent Austin Infiniti, and I guess the Infiniti pricing rubs off on their Subaru service.) To be fair, they've certainly seemed helpful and responsive every time I've talked with them -- just not at all inexpensive.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    Import Motors, Morse Ave. in Schaumburg is great. The guy who owns it used to be the senior tech at the local Subaru dealer till they dropped the line (they were Audi too and Audi got fed up with people buying Subarus instead of A4s and gave them an ultimatum). A lot of the (now non existent)Subaru dealer customers went to this guy and when a new dealership started a year later they refused to sell him parts as they said he was taking "their" business. Then when the new mechanics at this new dealership realized that John knew more than any of them combined and his brain was better than their parts computer they started selling him parts again but not telling the boss as he gives them advice over the phone when they have trouble or can't locate things!
  • Glad to hear there's someone in the Schaumburg area who's good. I drive 22 miles from my home to have my LL Bean and my wife's '97 Impreza serviced at Liberty Subaru in Libertyville. Two super technicians work on Subarus, Elisha and Axel. Both know the marque and really do like the product. These guys are knowledgeable. Best of all, Liberty Subaru offers free washes to its customers! The dealership sells about 40 Subarus monthly are are anxious to continue their strong growth. Service after the sale is understood by management!

Each time I'm at the shop (weekly, for a free wash and some chit chat) I'm amazed at the number of Subarus being serviced that sport license plate frames from competing dealers. Not a bad testimonial!

By the way, other than routine maintenance, our Subarus continue to run without problems!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Avoid them. Sloppy work on my other car. They're in Gaithersburg, MD.

They should be called Auto Body Dimentia!

-juice
  • cin4cin4 Posts: 30
    Thanks texsubaru for the feedback here and on the main Forester area on Gillman & Austin Subaru. I'll be up for my first oil change in a few weeks, and will also need to have a couple of minor things tweaked. I think I'll give Gillman a try, since I won't have to take time off from work to bring my car to them. Besides, it's a longer drive to Gillman for me, so I get to do a little more cruising with the moonroof open!
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I'm curious about the kind of service folks in the Portland area have gotten at both dealers and independent shops. Any recommendations? Places to stay away from?

I've had good pretty good luck with Wentworth Subaru. Carr Subaru totally screwed up my last Subaru by not re-installing a transmission housing bolt.

The best place I've found is Jay's Garage on SE 7th and Morrison. He specializes in Subarus and Hondas. (He figured out solutions to problems that none of the dealers could or wanted too.)

Since we're on the topic of auto body shops, I'd stay away from Mackin's Hollywood Auto Body. It took me a day off work to force them to do the job right. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the job they did. Has anybody found a good auto body shop in Portland?
    Glad to hear their shop is good. Must be better than their bodyshop. My wife had a little altercation with the front fender and a Maxima. As the car was only 6 months old I insisted that it be done at a shop associated with a dealership. The Schaumburg guys had just closed down so Libertyvile was were it went. They didn't do a very good job to say the least and left out some parts! They were very good about it but its a long way to drive to have them put back on little non functional things and while I could understand why they and the insurance company may be willing to accept a creased body panel in the engine compartment wall, you'd think they could at least respray it so it wouldn't rust as it had bent enough to expose bare metal!
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    I would not be accepting any creased panels anywhere after an accident, this is just evidence of a piss poor repair as well it will signifidently reduce the resale on your vehicle believe me once any body see,s an unrepaired inner panel it makes the damage look much worse than it actually was, I for one if I was evaluating your car for a potential purchase would take one look at the creased panel and walk only you know if the damage was minor or major anybody else will immediately assume the worst so In your case I would be at the insurance demanding the damage be repaired properly.
    Cheers Pat.
    You are probably right I should have gotten it fixed but the hassle factor to have them replace everything was too great.I'd already spent too many hours making my insurance company use totally new OEM parts and not "salvaged" ones.Good thing I didn't have an OB, they were waiting 4 months for front fenders and bumpers for those! I intend on keeping the car till it rusts into the ground so resale value is not a big deal right now anyway. Maybe when my itching for a WRX becomes too great it will be!!
    Unless you are a real nosey so and so like me and really crawl around under the car and look, you can't see the problem, not without major difficulty.The parts missing - its like a splash gurad for the engine compartment -were missed by two other dealers when they did the 15 and 30K services.At least they said nothing. When it was finally out of warranty and I took it to Import Motors they noticed it the first time they had it up! John whom I trust unreservedly said there were no major structural parts damaged and its run like a dream for 40K since the accident. In fact , first time my wife took it back to Libertyville for them to touch up the paint on those creased panels, they had to call and find out what I was complaining about! They couldn't see it even though I had pointed out the general area to her to show them! Maybe thats why they didn't fix it first time! They need glasses or brighter lights in their shop!
This discussion has been closed.