Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
edited March 9 in Honda
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Civic!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know any additional discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Posts: 128
    My name is Russ and I own a 2001 Civic EX Sedan with automatic and side-air bags.
    I took ownership on January 25 so I'm not sure if some of the minor problems people have been experiencing will apply to my car.
    I look forward to hearing from other owners and their experiences.
  • Hopefully this won't sound too support-groupish. My name's Steven. I have an Eternal Blue '01 EX 5-sp sedan, no options, and no side-airbags. $16,325 back on 11/29. Right now it's got almost 3900 miles on it, and going semi-strong. The airdam needs replacing (ripped it off!), the seatback doesn't work, the gas gauge is messed up (my light doesn't come on at all), the seatback release doesn't work, & there's a creak and buzz in the dash. Gas mileage has only dipped under 30 once in 70% city driving. My stereo has coded only 4 times. I love the car, though. It's roomy, practical, and more fun than a lot of things. I'd borderline recommend it over a Malibu or Altima.
  • cwosignscwosigns Posts: 13
    My name is Chris. I own a 1997 EX Coupe. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Prior to that I had an Accord that finally died w/187,000 on the odometer.

Even though I've only had it two weeks, I'm very satisfied. I drive a lot for work (I'm a sign language interpreter) and am hoping that my Civic serves me well.
  • msmclemsmcle Posts: 1
    I'm Michael. I have a 2001 Civic EX coupe 5M with about 1000 miles on her. My trunk release didn't work when I got it but thats been the only problem so far.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    I'm Raymond. I own a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT coupe with 37,000 miles driven.

The only thing I need right now is a new set of tires in the 185/65R14 size--suggestions are very welcome.
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    I would recomend getting a set of Dunlop D60's. The hold up well in the rain and snow and the dry grip is great.I scraped the stock fiestones at 33K on my 98 Civic EX. They were horrible in anythting other than dry weather. I also went from 185-65-14 to 195-60-14. Its not that great of a step and my ride has not suffered at all. Teh handling over the stock tires is much better. Also I got the tires from tirerack.com adn spent about the same for the Dunlops in 195/60/14 as tires in the185/65/14 size cost. It was about 45.00 per tire plus shipping. No tire store could match thier price even with shipping. Good luck with wahtever you may choose.
  • topgun01topgun01 Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I just bought a 2001 Civic LX Sedan Auto w/side air bags, 2 days back in the Milwaukee area. After an hour of negotiations, I finally got a deal for $15265 (including dest. charges, keyless entry, all season floor mats, door edge guards and an arm rest). Just wanted to know if this was a fair deal? Already put 200 miles in 2 days and really love this car.

Thanks for your comments.
  • ejonavinejonavin Posts: 36
    Hi, I have an Acura 1.7EL Premium in Satin Silver Metalic and black leather interior. Think of it as an EX sedan with heated seats, alloy wheels, 4 disc brakes/4-channel ABS, Acura styling and emblems, ... amongst other things.

I have about 3,500 miles and haven't really had any problems except the 40/60 split rear seat doesn't seem to be locking properly.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    Hi, I am Dave, and i have owned my 1999 Civic EX coupe, 5 spd for 2 years now. and it is what i have expected from honda. I have owned honda's before, a 1985 civic dx hatch when I sold it, it had 250,000 miles on the odo, it is still running, i also have owned an 87 honda accord LXi, 1983 chevy celebrity (the only american car i have ever owned, and it turned me away from american for life) 1991 VW jetta GL. i bought the 1999 civic after jetta started to give me hard time at 120, 000 miles.
    I wish honda sold acura EL in the US, i like the styling (slightly diffrent from civic) and of course the amenitites
  • rkanrkan Posts: 11
    Hi my name is Bob. I picked up my Civic 5spd w/ side air bags last saturday. I am mentally walking on eggshells waiting for all the problems reported on the Honda Civic 3 pages to show up on mine. Have not had to get gas yet so I dont know if my gauge is screwy. 200 miles and no problems. woohoo.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    The Edmunds.com Drivers' Opinion Panel has just launched. This initiative will further establish Edmunds.com as the voice of the consumer by becoming a key source for automotive market research. Through this initiative Edmunds.com will send traffic to the Opinion Panel promotion and registration area. Members of the panel will participate in key market research studies for Automotive OEMs and related companies on-line as opposed to more traditional market research methods.

To become a member of the panel, please visit

Drivers' Opinion Panel

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    with 125k mi. on the odo today and going strong! No problems to mention of except for a bad speed sensor that was covered under warranty. Can't beat that. The brakes on Civics are mediocre and rotors warp easily. The trick is to not step on the brakes while you 're stopped at the light and coast slowly to a stop, hit your brakes early on and let them cool off properly before coming to a stop..
    BTW, get some decent tires on your Civics. I have Dunlop D60 HR 195-60 on 14x6" Borbet Type-T alloys. Handles great! have fun and always properly maintain your Civic. It will last a long time trouble free.
  • alexjsalexjs Posts: 4
    Hi. I'm Alex and I drive a dark green '99 EX coupe. I picked it up used about 6 months ago. The paint leads me to believe it's previous owner was stalking a sand truck so a trip to the paint shop is in order.

My last set of wheels was an '85 Accord which started leaking like a sieve - oil pan, rack and pinion, struts, A/C, iffy main seal - after 168k miles of minimal maintenance. Needless to say, the trade-in was kinda thin. ;^)
  • gibnutgibnut Posts: 4
    Greetings,
    Purchased the 01-EX about three weeks ago. Pleased so far! Thinking about the CR-V for my wife!
    Anyhow, I look forward to conversing through these forums.

Gibnut :-)
  • Hi, I own a 99 Civic EX coupe. I've owned my car for 2 years now (just hit 25K miles on the odo), and It's doing great. I've never had any mechanical problems (knock-on-wood) with my car, so Honda give yourself a pat on the back. On the other hand, Honda sold me a car that had flaws in the paint. The clearcoat is spotted from some sort of fallout. Honda said it wasn't covered under warranty because it was on the surface of the paint, not under it so it's not a manufacturing defect. The spots look like water drops and they cover the entire surface of the car. I noticed the spots, but it had rained earlier on the day I picked up my car, so I simply thought they were waterspots. I got screwed in this situation, and to add insult to injury the customer service were very rude. No pats on the back for Honda's customer service, I'd rather kick them in the a$$!
  • That sounds like an awesome car- I don't think it would sell in the US, but it sounds like an intriguing variation of the Civic. How much did you pay for your car (yes, I know, it'll be in Canadian dollars)? According to the website, the cost of a Acura 1.7EL top trim (whatever it is) is approximately the same as a Civic EX here once the currency has been converted. True?
  • ejonavinejonavin Posts: 36
    It's hard to compare Canadian car prices with US ones just by converting the exchange rate. Most vehicles are cheaper in Canada if you only use that comparison.

In Canada for about the same price as the top trim Acura 1.7EL-Premium, you can get one of:
    - Honda Accord LX with ABS package
    - Nissan Altima GXE with ABS package
    - Toyota Camry lowest trim (no options)
    - VW Jetta GLS 2.0 (no options)

All the other compacts are obviously cheaper. So, it's your choice: fully loaded compact sedan with leather, etc... or lowest trim mid-sized sedan.
    To avenge you I will wipe the road with a Kia whatever with my Civic EX for you.
  • Tezereli - While you're wiping the road with those "Kia whatevers," would you save a little for the "Hyundia whatever" that wiped the road with my Civic EX yesterday?! Oh, and the Suzuki Swift too? How humiliating.
    I hope yours doesnt have and auto. If so that might be your problem. A little tuner work may help too.
  • tazereli - I have the 99' 5-speed Civic EX coupe. I learned from my last car (91 Toyota Celica GT automatic) that if you have less than 6 cylinders, get the manual tranny!
  • kwelsskwelss Posts: 21
    Hi, I'm Karin from California and I own a 1991 Honda Civic sedan.

It's been the most reliable and fuel-efficient car I've ever owned-- I'm at 144,000 miles and still using my original clutch. I recently had my very first breakdown at 11 years and 143,600 miles.

I have a five-speed manual transmission and get about 34mpg city/36-40 highway (depends whether my air conditioner is running). If you live in the SF Bay Area, you may have seen me-- I'm the one with the white Civic with big blue and green paint splat decals all over it. *g*

I finally bought a new car last month-- I very badly wanted to fall in love with the CR-V, but after test-driving a CR-V, a RAV4, and a Forester, I found myself seduced by a red Subaru Forester S+.

It was a difficult decision-- I've been so happy with my Civic and believe in Honda as a quality carmaker. But Subarus also have wonderful reputations for reliability and economy, so it really came down to how the CR-V "felt" (power and ergonomics) versus the Forester. And I really didn't like the CR-V's swing-out rear gate design.

I'm still driving my Civic every workday as a commuter, and plan to do so until it falls apart... probably at about 260,000 miles or so. *g*

Pleased to meet y'all.
    Karin
  • My 1992 Honda Civic CX has 107,900 miles, I am the original owner, it has 5-sp manual, change oil every 2500-miles/3 months, and use regular unleaded (87 octane) gas.

I’ve replaced:
    two batteries (no headlight buzzer reminder)
    one CV joint boot band
    One exhaust muffler (rust)

I’d buy another Honda Civic although the 3-door hatchback model has been discontinued for 2001 in USA. It is a great freeway commuter that is reliable, gets good gas mileage, cheap to insure, runs on cheap gas, easy to work on, and has good resale value.

On my 92 Civic I drove 900 miles in a day driving from Susanville east of Mt. Shasta to Eureka then back to LA. I took it out on a road trip to Grand Canyon-Meteorite Crater-Clovis-Carlsbad Caverns-Durango-Moab-Sedona-back to LA all during summer. The car never overheated once, from Mojave Desert (gateway to Death Valley) to Molas Pass (elevation over 10,800 feet) north of Durango.

The 92 Civic CX has 10-gallon gas tank and I got 34-41 mpg during my trip.

I’ve also owned a 1985 Civic S (bought new) and 1989 Prelude Si (2 years old used), both fun and reliable cars.

I used to post on messageboard on Yahoo!

CX
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• oops13oops13 Posts: 16
    I've had mine since December 2000. I have already put 6500 problem free miles on it. I'm getting 38 mpg with a 90/10 hwy/cty mix. I refuse to follow the dealers recomedation of 3750 miles for the oil changes. I will follow the manual recomended 10,000 mile interval. I won't be going 20,000 miles between oil filter changes though. I have not been affected by any of the complaints or TSB's yet. I replaced the OEM tires with GOODYEAR AQUATREAD 3's at 500 miles and am much happier with the ride, wet traction and cornering ability now. Those factory Firestones really hold the car back from it's potential. This was my 2nd new car purchase (many used vehicles)in the 12 years that I have been driving, and it is the first Honda product. I'm hooked. The quality compared to the Saturn that it replaced isn't even in the same ballpark. I love the car and look forward to the day that Honda sells a full size truck.
  • elownerelowner Posts: 1
    I got an Aura 1.7 EL with green metallic color.
    It is a good value for the money.
    I have 1000 kilo on it. No problem.
    Before going for an Acura EL, I was looking into Ford Focus, Honda Civic and VW Jetta.
    Acura's/Honda's reliability is proven.
    In Canada, We don't get Honda Civic Ex in sedan style.
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• dash400mdash400m Posts: 55
    This wagon is in excellent condition with 243,000 miles. I purchased the car new in May, 1985 from Wilde Honda in Waukesha, WI. The only options ordered with the car were AM radio, AC unit and floor mats. Total price was ~$8900.

Maintenance Summary:

* Replaced carburetor floats @55,000 miles.
    * Replaced automatic transmission @130,000.
    * Replaced alternator (Bosch) @140,000.
    * Replaced front axle assembly @175,000.
    * Replaced ball joints/radius arms @210,000.
    * Replaced front and rear struts (KYB) @210,000.
    * Replaced 1.5L engine with Jasper re-man
    @235,000. (The engine was running fine until
    the camshaft popped.)
    * Miscellaneous -- I've gone through four sets of
    CV boots, two starters and the clutch assembly
    on the AC unit. To date, I haven't replaced the
    AC compressor.

What else can be said? The car as no acceleration with its rated 75 H.P. The car has its original carburetor, burns 87 octane (Shell), and averages ~35 mpg. The AM radio is analog, has excellent audio, and has very little interference from engine noise. 1985 was the last year that Honda offered an "AM-only" radio. This car looks almost as good as it did when it arrived in Milwaukee from Japan. It also has ample cargo space. Enough said...

j.w.
    Spotsylvania, VA
  • numufflernumuffler Posts: 1
    Hello folks! I have a 2000 Civic EX coupe for about a year. Started with 10 miles on the odometer, it now has experienced 9,000 of well-cared-for miles. I have questions in the following areas:

1- windows: the powered windows to be a bit slow on the up run. Is this 'normal'?
    2- the car tends to hesitate a bit in the second gear. I had thought it was the fuel injection problem but my thought was dismissed by Honda service people. They didn't know what it was and didn't seem to care. I wonder if other owners experience the same behavior?
    3- My Civic was made in Ohio. I noticed several poor workmanship in the exterior and interior of the car. None seems to be of serious nature but it's a bit annoying to see have a sloppy rubber trimming of the headlights on my car. Why is it that the American can't seem to have the quality standard in workmanship like the Japanese??
This discussion has been closed.