Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Care and Maintenance

Comments

• rangers_frangers_f Posts: 7
    Hey
    If you go to the Honda web page, you can put in your VIN number of your Honda and it will tell you whether your specific car has a recall on it or not. When I first bought my car, the dealer gave me this service booklet that I "should" follow. The booklet is following the severe driving conditions servicing. At first I went by the thing, until I looked at the owners manual. I am almost at my 22,500 service and the dealers booklet tells me to have the mechanics check out all this BS and the only real service being done is an Oil Change and Tire Rotated. Check this check that. Like they are really checking that crap. So unless you guys are in "severe driving conditions" watch out to the dealers BS servicing. The dealers mechanics are the same crooks as anyone else. They just hide behind the "honesty" of the Honda dealers name. What a joke.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    Hello
    thinking of buying a 2002 LX auto w/a/c.

I'm a musician and will be transporting roughly 300 - 400lbs of cargo in the trunk and some in the back seat -- -- on a regular basis.

No, I don't want a truck or van.

Question: can the Civic 1.7 liter engine handle carrying this weight, or will it be constantly straining and thus could wear out fast?

I guess the weight is about the same as transporting 3 adult passengers in addition to the adult male driver, all the time.

Anybody have any experience to share?
    thanks!!
  • bbpalumbobbpalumbo Posts: 9
    Can anyone recommend a particular brand they are happy with, for my 99 Civic LX? I live in the Northeast, so rain and snow are issues.

Thanks!
  • kermit66kermit66 Posts: 3
    I have had service "machine discs" on my brakes 2 times and will be going in for a 3 time soon. Is this acceptable???

I realize that a rotar should only be machined once, but when I took it in the dealer they said this would solve my pulsing foot pedal problem.

I drive a little hard at times but all in all I would say I'm a average driver.

Has anyone else had problems with the discs waring out quickly.

Thanks for the reply,
    Kermit
  • mixturemixture Posts: 1
    First off, let me start off by saying my 2002 is a piece of crap and will never buy Honda again.
    Within the first week, a weird noise kept going off, sounded like manual steering pump was broken. The dealership replaced. Next week, the noise appeared again, took it back ( Spent 18 hours driving back and fourth to teh dealership and 500 miles...) This time they replaced entirely difefrent part (forgot what). Last month, my seat broke...it keeps sliding. I have to take it back.

This bring me to the LEMON LAW. It is so vague it sucks... it states you get a new car or whatever if a reasonable number of attempts is made on the car. Who decides what is reasonable? This will the third item I fix and i have only had the car since Feb. I am so upset.

I just got my 2nd oil change today at Jiffy Lube. Crooks! (i had 8,000+ miles) I didn't know about the 10,000 thing, the dealership never mentioned it. Jiffy charged me $35 and put in 5w20. Is this the best oil for the 2002? Anyone? And does anyone know if my experiences qualify me for the lemon law?
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    mixture:

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with your 2002 EX. I am just curious do you know what's the first letter of your VIN? Does it start with J or 2 or 4 or...?

How far away is your dealer ship? Do you have a closer Honda dealership to take your car to? You could take your car to any Honda dealer to get warranty repair done. Instead of driving 18 hours and 500 miles, that's lot of time wasted it. Sometime you may want to change to another dealer is the first one is incompetent.

For 2002 Honda recommends to use 5W-20 oil. Jiffy Lube is putting the right oil for your Civic. But for $35 price is a little higher. Our local Honda dealer charges $22-24 for an express oil and filter change. Some dealer ever has very low price to free oil change for first time customer. Check your dealer's website they may have some service coupon on their website.

2002 Civic Owner's Manual says to change oil @ 10,000 miles for normal driving and 5,000 miles for sever driving condition. You need to read the owner's manual maintenance portion. You could change your oil more often to give better protection to your car's engine.

I think Lemon law depends on the state you live in. Typical they are talking about 3 attempts to fix the same "major" problem. You may want to check with your lawyer to see if Lemon law will apply to your case.

Good luck,

bjk
  • aat44aat44 Posts: 1
    i have just purchased a 1993 civic ex coupe. i have read the manual and have found the oil pan and drain plug. however, i cannot physically locate the oil filter. can anyone help.
    thank you
  • bostontbostont Posts: 37
    bjk, why did you want to know mixture's VIN numbers and letters? Mine starts with 1H.
    bostont:

I am curious where was his Civic assembled? 1st letter or digit will tell which Honda plant assembled the car. Wondering if my Civic came from the same plant or not?

Mine starts with "J", assembled in Japan. I saw some Civic Si assembled in England.

Regards,

bjk
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Hi guys,

I have had my Civic for about one month now. It did not really meet my expectations. Although the car itself runs ok, the rest is far from satisfactory. The rattles are of the most annoying part. Whenever the road is not perfectly smooth, there are quite some rattles from the doors, backseats and especially from the area that is in front of the driver. I heard there are some bad stories about the illegal imports from Canada. Though I bought mine brand new, it was made in Canada. So if anyone knows that these kinda problems are manufacture-specific. If you happen to have a US made Civic, do you encount such problems, or else? Thanks
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Posts: 142
    Mine was made in Ohio and I haven't had any rattles as to date. I would call your dealer and see if they can locate and fix the rattles.

Good luck,

Carrie
    Hi all civic owners,

My new civic was made in Canada, but I have seen the exact models around here that were made in US or Japan. Does anyone acknowledge the difference, in terms of the build quality, among them?

Once a salesman told me that the reason I got a good deal was because the car I bought was made in Canada. But I did not expect there should be any manufacture-specific problems. As time goes by, I am starting to understand why he said those things. In the future, I will only buy a "made-in-Japan" Civic or I am going for the Elantra GT. To my own experience, the Northern American made Civics are no better than the Korean ones. I am planning to trade-in my civic for a Elantra GT after its warranty ends.

Any opinions are welcome.
    I heard a friend told me the same story when they tried to get a made in Japan Toyota Camry and sales wouldn't sell them @ newspaper ad price, sales said for made is Japan car they have to pay more. So when I went to purchase my Civic, I paid extra attention to try to get a Japan made EX. When I checked all the Civic Ex at the dealer stock that day they were all made in Japan. I thought all the Civic Ex were made in Japan. So, a few weeks later I went back to dealer's web site to check their inventory they show some EX made in US and Canada.

I think your sales is lying. My Civic EX auto 4 dr was made in Japan, and I paid $14,988 ($1,700 below invoice)+ lic + doc+ total $16,400 out the door.
    I paid $1,200 less than yours, but what I got is a made-in-Canada Civic LX sedan Auto. I was quite happy at first, but not now. All these rattles make me think if American Honda is really "HONDA". I should have asked for Japan made civics, :(
  • barleyboybarleyboy Posts: 2
    In my '91 Civic Hatchback, I have carried 1000 lbs. of passengers and cargo without problems. However, be cautious of stopping distances, since it takes a long time to slow all that weight down.
  • davidw6davidw6 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just found there is a very small dent ( diameter around 1.5mm ) in my shield window. Do you guys know how to handle this?

Thanks,
    David
  • mogasmogas Posts: 8
    My '97 EX is pretty much just run around town car.

I wash it weekly, wax monthly and use Meguires car care products (best on the market but a tad bit spendy). I only use regular Chevron gas. Oil (Penzoil Synthetic) change between 3000 to 4000 miles along with oil filter (K&N). Air filter (K&N) every six months along with wiper blades. I get a full tune-up every February (plugs, tranny fluid, timing, coolant flush, new brake fluid, etc.) since it only runs me about $150 buck from my mechanic. I use the fuel injector cleaner crap every oil change but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money using it. I rotate the tires every six months to a year depending on the miles I have driven and the brakes are inspected during the annual tune-up.

I have only 53,000 miles on it and the only problem I have ever had is with the power windows- the window shelf bracket broke and cost about $100.00 to repair.

I also inspect my car weekly- fluids, belts, hoses, tires and all lights. No, I'm not obsessive compulsive, I just like to take care of my investments.
  • 06mike06mike Posts: 13
    Looking at purchasing a 98 HX Coupe. Car is well appointed, clean and drives well. One concern is I believe it has a CVT transmission. Does anyone have any history with this tranny? Does Honda still make it?
  • mgrmgr Posts: 40
    Saw further up someone asked about cleaning products. I use Zaino products. I am very pleased. I have the black with blue metal flake factory paint and it looks wonderful when its cleaned and waxed. Havent had to clay it yet, but probably will soon.
  • mjawtmjawt Posts: 1
    When I bought my '02 Civic LX, the dealer gave me a complimentary book of scheduled repairs. In it is a schedule of what needs to be done at certain times (be it mileage or years/months). Some of them are also discounts and coupons for free maintenance (minor stuff like oil changes and checkups are free). Also included are coupons for free car washes and when it's time to trade/sell the car, a discount for more savings on getting another Honda. It's been very useful for me because I don't have to keep track of maintenance. It just tells me when the next time to do something to my car is and I do it.

Did anyone else get this maintenance booklet?

mjawt
  • mgrmgr Posts: 40
    Yes, I received one. Pretty good marketing. However, I go by the owners manual.
    mjawt:

What free maintenance coupon? I want free oil change too.

bjk
  • redly_oneredly_one Posts: 122
    I just rolled 10,000 miles and the maintanance required light on my dash is on (friendly reminder that it's time to get my 10,000 mile screw job $90 oil change and tire rotation)

Anyway, how do you get this light to shut off?

Also, anyone in the Indianapolis area interested in an 01 Civic EX sedan, gold/tan, auto 10,500 miles?

thanks
    redly_one:

Procedure should be in your Owner's manual. Page 65 of 2002 Civic Owner Manual:
    1. Turn off the engine
    2. Press and hold the select/reset button in the instrument panel, turn the ignition switch ON.
    3. Hold the button until the indicator resets (~ 10 seconds).

bjk
  • rupprruppr Posts: 3
    Recently bought the above at a estate sale. Has been used as a 'toad' behind an RV. Milage says 97,000 but since the speedometer turns when being towed, who knows what it really is but it is a creampuff.

Anyway, I'm missing the point, the car does not have a owners manual. What is the correct weight oil for this model? Also what weight is used in the manaul transmission?

Many thanks for the help,

ruppr
  • rayrockrayrock Posts: 14
    wow! these town halls are informative. after years of reading how great civics are and how the '01 is new and improved. i got one. its had rattles and squeaks since the first day. just checked and you guessed it its canadian. this on top of finding out the '02 civic has new steering and suspension to fix the '01 missengineered tendacy to float and wander on the highway. i'm pretty pissed but from now on i'm checking edmund's posts, points of origin, and especially other makes. you can't buy on brand name alone
  • bloop22bloop22 Posts: 2
    I own a 92 civic and the manual calls for 3.5 qt. of 5W30 engine oil and 1.9qt of 10W40 oil for the 5 speed transmission. Both service and owners manuals are available from helminc.com. I purchased the service manual for my car and it was the best money I have spent.
  • rupprruppr Posts: 3
    Bloop22,
    Many thanks for the feedback! I'll contact them.

ruppr
  • after seeing a whole lot of other people are having the same, or even worse, problems on their 2k2 civics, i should have had a peaceful mind by now, i wish. i just could not think it over that if canada and usa can make the last generation civic top the notch, how could they make this "namely the worst generation of all" civic so bad? i would rather think it is a design problem, but the cold fact tells me that the point of origin does play a big role. before i bought mine, i did not even know that there are still decent civics imported from japan. lately, i cruised around the online forum of hyundai elantra/santa fe, toyota corolla/camry/celia, mazda protege/626, as well as honda civic/accord. as you may know, corolla and camry sold in usa are almost 100% made in North America. if you have not heard anything bad about corolla, it is because it is made from the best plant in the states. in contrast, the new camry got tons of complains, which is worse than our civics, not mentioning the worst of all altima that is imported from mexico. the celica is still 100% made in japan, i could not find any bad thing except complains about its weak a/c. if you happen to know recent hyundai cars, they are no worse than u.s. hondas, if not better (but remember they are way cheaper). the most obvious example is protege/626. i did not even consider mazda before since it is under ford. but to date, protege is next car if it will be still imported from japan like it is now. look at their forums, 626's is so quiet because no one is buying it and the few problems are about problems. then the protege's, thousands of praises except the typical engine rattle (which goes away after engine gets normal temperature) on the current model. the feedback is almost perfect. how can i not think that protege is simply a better car than the civic i am having. if ONLY the build quality is on par, honda civic should be still one of the advanced and best small cars on the world. i am from asia, all my friends there are buying civics and corollas. they dont even know too well about the mazda 323 (the protege here). if honda japan can product top quality car, why not american honda?
  • rayrockrayrock Posts: 14
    the '02 civic (not '01) is well designed for point a to point b travel but its lost its sports car on the cheap image. the old civics,integras and the new protege rule on the sports car club races. i believed the magazine hype and bought the '01. i won't buy a first year production of any car and wait for the forums of actual buyers to reveal the truly great cars.