Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Care and Maintenance

Comments

• rowaxerowaxe Posts: 12
    I have recently acquired a "free" '85 Honda CRX that has cost about $2000 so far. I am trying to service whatever I can myself. I'm down to a last few details and I cannot find any resources on the internet. I need to find out how to assemble the steering wheel onto the steering column. Someone took it apart without remembering how to reassemble it. I found one piece of blue plastic type material in a roughly square shape looking like it fits onto the screws that hold the springs for the horn. The problem is, there's only one and it's ripped off. I tried to re-assemble it but I can't figure how. I've replaced the plastic squares with flexible soft plastic bits of similar size and shape. Is there someplace I can look for help. i'm stuck in New Zealand and the Hayes manuals are OUTRAGEOUS here. it's like $75 to get one. I also need to find a photo of an original dashboard so I can see which parts have been torn out of that as I have gaping holes where some parts were.
  • flynfl01flynfl01 Posts: 13
    Hello all. My car is a 2004 Civic LX coupe. Since I do not have a garage, I'm wondering if I should apply some kind of protection to my dash and plastic on the doors before the hot summer months. I've seen several cars where the dashes have started to fade and would like to preserve mine as long as possible. I've heard Armor All and Turtle Wax both make good products for protecting interior trim. Anyone had experience with these on their Civics? Do they work well? I'm concerned that applying these to the dash may cause unwanted glare, but I don't want to leave the dash unprotected, even though I do use a sunshade. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks very much.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I have recently acquired a "free" '85 Honda CRX that has cost about $2000 so far. I am trying to service whatever I can myself. I'm down to a last few details and I cannot find any resources on the internet. I need to find out how to assemble the steering wheel onto the steering column. Someone took it apart without remembering how to reassemble it. I found one piece of blue plastic type material in a roughly square shape looking like it fits onto the screws that hold the springs for the horn. The problem is, there's only one and it's ripped off. I tried to re-assemble it but I can't figure how. I've replaced the plastic squares with flexible soft plastic bits of similar size and shape. Is there someplace I can look for help. i'm stuck in New Zealand and the Hayes manuals are OUTRAGEOUS here. it's like $75 to get one. I also need to find a photo of an original dashboard so I can see which parts have been torn out of that as I have gaping holes where some parts were.

That is about the price for HELMS manual. Hayes is not worth it. Check out ebay for a used Helms manual. Also, if you find a CRX enthusiast website, there may be people who will give you Helms in .PDF format for free or a $1.
    Hello all. My car is a 2004 Civic LX coupe. Since I do not have a garage, I'm wondering if I should apply some kind of protection to my dash and plastic on the doors before the hot summer months. I've seen several cars where the dashes have started to fade and would like to preserve mine as long as possible. I've heard Armor All and Turtle Wax both make good products for protecting interior trim. Anyone had experience with these on their Civics? Do they work well? I'm concerned that applying these to the dash may cause unwanted glare, but I don't want to leave the dash unprotected, even though I do use a sunshade. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks very much.

Your dealer should carry Honda vinyl and leather protectant. It is a low gloss/Matte formulation, and is the only one that will not void your warranty if your plastic cracks. I belive the owner's manual mentions it in the "care" section.

You should clean the surfaces with mild soapy solution, as per manual. I use Armor all cleaning wipes, and then apply the Honda Vinyl and leather protectant to a microfiber cloth and wipe on. It is better than Armor all because it does not attract dust, and it does not blind you on a sunny day.

Also, I use one of those round shades in the windshield. I think it is called Miracle shade, it folds onto itself into a small flat circle for storage, but when unfolded, there are 2 pieces that cover the whole windshield.
  • asg2307asg2307 Posts: 8
    I have been searching the Internet but can not find a good source for used parts. Specifically looking for the strip on hatch on bottom of rear window, and windshield wiper switch.
    I have been searching the Internet but can not find a good source for used parts. Specifically looking for the strip on hatch on bottom of rear window, and windshield wiper switch.

Your best bet would be to drive into the "not so good" part of town and find a junk yard. Looks like new one from Honda is $137
    Part number 9 in the picture.
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civi- - c&catcgry2=1985&catcgry3=WGN+**+4WD&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=STEERING+WHEEL+SWITCH

• theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    Also, if you find a CRX enthusiast website, there may be people who will give you Helms in .PDF format for free or a $1.

Of course in the US this would be a violation of US Copyright Laws.

(use your imagination to insert a non-car smiley here)
  • I am taking my car in tomorrow because it doesn't seem to be shifting into overdrive correctly. When I drive the car it will take a little bit for it to shift the first time and when it does it goes all the way up to 3 RPM's and then it won't shift again until it gets between 4 and 5 RPM's. Does anybody know what's wrong with it?

Thanks,

ColdwellKT
    I am taking my car in tomorrow because it doesn't seem to be shifting into overdrive correctly. When I drive the car it will take a little bit for it to shift the first time and when it does it goes all the way up to 3 RPM's and then it won't shift again until it gets between 4 and 5 RPM's. Does anybody know what's wrong with it?

Thanks,

ColdwellKT

Year, model, trim, options, miles?

At what RPM was it shifting before? What RPM's would you like for it to shift at?

P.S. 3 RPM = 3000 RPM, 4 RPM = 4000 RPM and so on.
  • ddecker5ddecker5 Posts: 20
    I have a 97 Honda Civic with 130K miles. What is the best oil to use for it, and do I need a special tool to change the oil filter?

Thanks
    it should say on the oil filler cap what weight to use. you should be able to remove the filter by hand, if the previous oil chnager did everything by the book. You will need to buy some crush washers from Honda, they are a must when changing oil.
    The engine was working fine I thought, now it just rained and at idle speed, the engine keeps reving high and then dropping and almost sputtering out then back high and back low, over and over. I just got the car, so I don't know how long it's been doing this. Any suggestions? It doesn't do it when I first start the car, just when I drive it for a few minutes.
    Checked it today and it's still doing it. It's not raining now, but I'm not sure if it's still damp inside the engine. We drove it for half an hour and it's still doing it.
  • port_48port_48 Posts: 27
    My 02 DX Sedan was making a similar noise. I took it to the dealer before the 3 yr warranty ran out. They installed a new clutch master cylinder and the problem is fixed! They said there is a service bulletin out on the problem.
  • I just bought a new Honda Civic LX silver and I have a couple of questions for everyone.
    1). How long should I wait before I wax my car? I have heard that you should wait 3 months before waxing a brand new car.
    2.) What wax or car care products should I use (do you recomend)?
    3.) Does anyone have a link to a website with a wealth of informaiton about care and maitenence for new cars?

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,477
    1. Wax immediately, if not sooner! The new car paints comes fully cured from the factory. If a car is repainted on the so called "after market" is the appropriate time to ask: how long to wait before re waxing.

2. I would say what are your goals? Mine for example is a very high base line and a 10-14 year time horizon.

3. I have a few favorites but do a search for car care and car care products and some will pop up.
  • ray12ray12 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Civic was just diagnosed with a crack in the exhaust manifold. I have 70,000 miles. Is this a common problem? Does $800 sound about right for parts & labor to repair?

What are the common causes for the cracked manifold?

Thanks for your help.
  • plaueplaue Posts: 8
    Hi Ya'll. A few weeks ago I had my timing belt / water pump replaced on my 98 Civic at the dealer. I noticed that the coolant in the reservoir is now blue in color, with a part number/description OL999-9011 Coolant TYP2 Blue).

Anyone know if/when Honda changed their Type 2 coolant? I know Honda coolant used to be green in color. Or was some other fluid substituted in?

Thanks!
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 19
    The same thing happened to me on my 2000 Accord. They told me it was the long life coolant.
  • contrailcontrail Posts: 1
    I just bought a 97 Honda Civic. Both outer CV boots are torn open. Not sure how long they have been torn. First, about how much to replace and repack the boots if
    the CV joints are not worn out. Second, about how much would one expect to pay
    to have the CV joints replaced altogether?