Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ellusionz21ellusionz21 Member Posts: 59
    And I have a few questions...
    1) Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) any local or nearby dealerships?

2) I'm kind of confused about the C4C pricings people have been putting out, I may do a trade in (3 year old car) or sell it at Carmax (whoever offers closet to whats owed). Exactly what kind of OTD prices have people been getting? At carbuyingtips.com I've read some people haggling down to almost 17k!

3) When y'all say OTD price, is that the final price or will they include TTT or something else at the end?

4) Are there any holdbacks, incentives, etc. I should know about when working the price on my purchase?

5) Anything else you wanna throw out there for me would help, thanks! This is my second car purchase; I do know most of the basics of not running the credit, not saying how I'm paying or that I'm doing trade ins, making them fight each other for the chance to sell me a car... ;)
  • Options
    moyboysmoyboys Member Posts: 3
    i just brought my ex from deland honda...paid 18,000.00. need to add ttl and dealer fee. hope this helps
  • Options
    I was thinking of asking for an OTD price of 17.5k or 18k. Figure I'm not in a rush and can wait them out til someone really wants that sell.. think that will work out?

moyboys: if you don't mind me asking, how much was the dealer fee and ttl? Just wondering what to expect from honda... I know purchasing my first new car was a few hundred for the registration stuff, but just transferring shouldn't be as much right?
  • Options
    nhydanhyda Member Posts: 2
    I was quote $18500 OTD for LX at Tallahassee, fighting for $18,000, probably get $18,250. Is this a good deal I should take or I just wait for the price drop.

I read from some online forum that October will have big discount on old 09 models.
  • Options
    mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Hi Ellusion,
    Your never gonna find an OTD price of 17.5k or 18k for a 09 Civic EX. You can easily find a price like that for just the car, but then ur gonna have to add taxes, tag, and title to it. Your prices are more like an LX than an EX. I bought an 09 EX back in May for about $19,4xx if that helps.
  • Options
    $18500 is way too much for an LX. If it was an LX-S then maybe, but not for an LX. You should be looking anywhere between $17400-$18000(max).
  • Options
    joem854joem854 Member Posts: 11
    Good luck with that! Usually when it's time to put up or shut up with what people claim they paid for a car, there's a whole lot of shuttin' up going on!

You got that right. I was originally in the market for a Civic before I realized that even with the clunkers program it was out of my price range with the options I wanted. I went in for a Hyundai Elantra instead. On the Hyundai forum too, you hear about deals that sound too good to be true (and are in fact unlikely to be true, from what I've observed).

I thought to myself, why in the world would someone lie about the deal they got on their car? First off, it hurts other people who are looking for legitimate information because it gives them false expectations. Also, who in their right mind would lie on an internet post to make their deal sound better than it was? What's the motivation? The admiration of anonymous strangers who are impressed by your fictitious deal?

Then I remembered that people are frickin ridiculous and out of their minds, and will make up stuff at the drop of a hat for no good reason. Unfortunate, but true.

You kind of have to take the average of the prices people claimed to have gotten, while eliminating the ones that sound too absurdly good to be true.
  • Options
    redrover1redrover1 Member Posts: 16
    One thing to keep in mind is that dealers in different areas are likely to quote different prices for various reasons. Also, keep in mind when they bought. My daughter bought her car the first day of the C4C program (she did not use that) and got a price for an LX of $15,600. This is not out the door but the price of the car and includes destination. Sales taxes, dealer fees, etc may be much different where you or others live than where we live so an OTD price is hard to measure against. Once dealers saw that everyone and his mother wanted to buy a civic the prices went up drastically. From what I read on this thread if she waited one more week to buy she probably would have paid at least $2000 more. So please keep this in mind when you find it hard to believe that people paid less. They DID but not now.
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Just a brief look at the "wayback" machine-- posts from june-july in 09 and 07 and before (possibly not 08-- $4.50 gas made the new civic way popular) shows posts of about $15800 for an lx and the mid 17's for the ex autos. The c4c program from july 24 drove up lots of prices, for clunker and non clunker buyers alike. Some dealers are continuing to exploit the increase in floor traffic, and higher prices for some may be the result for a while.

This was essentially a cash for **dealers** program, uninformed buyers storming showrooms for a "free" $4000 in cash. Obviously in a (temporary-- with a deadline) seller's market the lx that sat unsold at $16200 suddenly has a price of $18500 (msrp) + $1000 for fabric & protection pkg. The gov't money replacing the manufacturer and dealer incentives for a month. If the "clunker"was worth $1500 or so many probably made off worse than they would have a month before.

The vast majority of posts are legitimate. There's no reason to believe otherswise. Some confuse their trade in the deal, others forget taxes can vary from $200-$2000 depending on state, making otd rather relative, and you have to do a little interpolating.

If the traditional August price breaks were ruined for many buyers by this dopey gov't program thats that. If inventories of some models are still rather high, deals may be found there.

The Civic, Corolla and Ford Focus were the most popular C4C vehicles, which made up about 600,000 of the (record)1,000,000 vehicles sold this month. We'll probably be back to 500,000 /mo sales soon.

Good luck
    --jjf

One thing to keep in mind is that dealers in different areas are likely to quote different prices for various reasons. Also, keep in mind when they bought. My daughter bought her car the first day of the C4C program (she did not use that) and got a price for an LX of $15,600. This is not out the door but the price of the car and includes destination. Sales taxes, dealer fees, etc may be much different where you or others live than where we live so an OTD price is hard to measure against. Once dealers saw that everyone and his mother wanted to buy a civic the prices went up drastically. From what I read on this thread if she waited one more week to buy she probably would have paid at least $2000 more. So please keep this in mind when you find it hard to believe that people paid less. They DID but not now.

Then I remembered that people are frickin ridiculous and out of their minds, and will make up stuff at the drop of a hat for no good reason. Unfortunate, but true.

You kind of have to take the average of the prices people claimed to have gotten, while eliminating the ones that sound too absurdly good to be true.
  • Options
    $600.00 in dealer fees, $107 in license fees. taxes will be based on if u have a trade in or not.if there is no trade in then taxes will be on $18,000. Igf u are looking out the door of 17.5k then it might be for a lx. btw i used c4c.
  • Options
    rootbeer2009rootbeer2009 Member Posts: 3
    is a drive out price $18700 honda civic coupe 09 automatic with life time warranty a good deal...(life time warranty include engine, transmission , and power train...). please help...
  • Options
    I have never heard of lifetime warranty on a car before, but the price is pretty good. If this includes ttl and dealer fees. extended warranties can run from $800 to $2000 depending on the coverage type. Dealers are trying to get rid of the 09's, but because of c4c there is low inventory.
  • Options
    rootbeer2009rootbeer2009 Member Posts: 3
    thanks moyboys.
  • Options
    warrenbfetwarrenbfet Member Posts: 2
    I have been given an OTD quote for a 2009 LX Sedan Automatic for 17800. I also have an OTD quote for a 2009 EX Sedan Automatic for 19700. THey both include everything....sales tax, title, license fees etc...Are either of these good deals or not and if so, which is the better deal? Honda has incentive program ending on September 8th. Is it better to wait things out? Still seem like prices are high even after clunkers ended. Thanks
  • Options
    car1shopcar1shop Member Posts: 8
    In June/July before the C4C program, it seems 2009 Civic sedan LX w/AT could be had for $15.7K to $16K. Now no dealer will go lower than $16.9 excluding destination, taxes, doc, etc. I think they are operating on pure greed. I would like to buy in September, but I can certainly want until a better time. I've searched in 3 states (GA- 2, SC-1 & AZ-5). I don't care whether it's 2 or 4 door, not particular about the color and can wait until January 2010 if necessary. I would buy 2009 or 2010 model of the Civic LX. What month might be the best time to try to get back to the lower prices?
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    It looks like Honda has decided to make all Civic EX Navi, EX-L and EX-L Navi Coupes & Sedans A/T (Automatic Transmission)-only! In 2009, all Civic trim levels (except Hybrid and GX) could be had with Manual or Automatic Transmission. But for 2010, you can't combine a manual-shifter with leather on any Civic! With the exception of Civic Si models, Navigation is no longer offered on manual-shift Civic models either!

It's a sad day...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Several Accord models are also mandatory-A/T for 2010, as is the 2010 Fit Sport Navi!?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    warrenbfetwarrenbfet Member Posts: 2
    Can someone help me with this question....
    Is 17800 for a 2009 LX Sedan Automatic a good OTD price?
    Is 19700 for a 2009 EX Sedan Automatic a good OTD price?

Which is the better deal if so?

Thanks
  • Options
    I would have the say the LX deal. I got my EX for about 19,4xx, but again that also depends on various things like where you live and the specific dealership. It pretty much depends which trim you like better. Pick one and try to negotiate down with different dealerships. If you can get OTD of 17,500 for the LX, that wouldnt be a bad deal.
  • Options
    cnkirincnkirin Member Posts: 3
    nhyda, what is the final price you get? I am in FL and also looking for a LX.
    I found most Florida dealers charge $600 dealer fees. Is that typical for Florida dealers?
  • Options
    The LX is a better deal.
  • Options
    nhydanhyda Member Posts: 2
    I didn't buy it. Figure that I probably wait for another month to see whether their stock will be filled up, then, maybe I can get it under $18k.
    I figure I can drive one out at $18.5k. I was told that the dealer fee is $299. but it may show different on the paper work.
    FYI, I also quote for a corolla LE, and the dealer fee is $499. $600 seems high for me.
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I just got the 2009 Civic LX sedan auto from Mahwah Honda NJ for $16,510 plus NY taxes, $199 doc fee and $5 temp license fee and financed it for 5.99% for 60 months. I'm very happy! Dealership is awesome. After doing research here just a few hours before I went down to the dealership, I was really surprised the dealer's first and only offer would even beat my own price in mind. Everybody wins. Hehe.
  • Options
    nefti1nefti1 Member Posts: 4
    it seems like mid 1900's is the lowest i can get.. maybe i am just a bad negotiator but i don't get any lower offers for an automatic 09 lx... I am in orange county in CA... I am about to give up on honda's and buy something else... should I just hang in there?
  • Options
    bullish1bullish1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an '09 Civic LX at a dealership in Philly Burbs for $16488 before taxes and ttl. Apparently they were offering a $1000 dealer rebate until 9/8; and are still offering a $750 rebate now. Nobody seems to be talking about this rebate here, but it is out there! The price was first quoted to me over the net, and took no negotiation to get.
  • Options
    leadtongueleadtongue Member Posts: 13
    otd means all costs included....state or local sales tax ...all dmv charges...document charges...destination charge...tire tax...yes nj taxes everything!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! Would love to hear what people are paying are saving on the '09's when the '10's come out. Plus more detail on this "dealer cash."
  • Options
    samilpzsamilpz Member Posts: 4
    im 18 my mom bought her first car and i negotiated everything and i have no experience at all. We live in LA county but bought a 2009 honda civic lx automatic sedan in OC county. Try Hardin Honda we got it for just under 19000 everyone else was mid 19000's. The name of the place is HARDIN HONDA its in anaheim u should try there. I started off by negotiating online basically all i did was google all hondas in my area and send an email for a quote and i kept going back and fourth to see who would lower it the most. We also got 4.5% financing for 60 months. Best thing to do is say you want an OTD(out the door price) which for us was 18900 with 9.75% tax. Since you live in the OC the tax i think is under 9% which means you will probly be able to get it for about 18600-18700. With financing the total cost was about 21000 but we added extra things that made it come out to 22400. If you need any help let me know. Also buy a car on the weekends or the end of the month because they will go lower because they need to sell a certain amount of cars especially now that people arent buying as many because cash for clunkers is over.
  • Options
    cgtenniscgtennis Member Posts: 2
    Could you let me know the name of the dealer? I also live in Philly Burbs and would like to go there to buy my first Civic. Thanks!
  • Options
    bullish1bullish1 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer in Philly Burbs was Sussman Honda in Willow Grove area. You may have to pay $250 more than I did because dealer incentives changed on 9/9, but it was still a great price versus other quotes I got from dealers in my area, and they had a number of '09 Civics in their lot.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    I live in OC and i got a quote of"

"your price is 16,946 plus tax and fees. otd is 18,779.00"

for a new 09 civix LX automatic.. tyring to get that number down.
  • Options
    lucky,
    plz email me at jules.walker@gmail.com
  • Options
    these honda dealers act like they don't want to sell cars... wow.
  • Options
    krouskikrouski Member Posts: 1
    Have anybody got this price recently? 16350 is the price without doc/title/tax.

I just get this price from the dealer near MA.

Is a good deal or bad deal to go ahead ?

Thanks.
  • Options
    It is a nice deal. Go for it.
  • Options
    hooopshooops Member Posts: 64
    Purchased the civic in NJ on 9/8. Cost with destination was just south of $16K with OTD (car+tax+reg+doc) price just under $17.6K. Deal included the $1000 incentive that was available at the time.
  • Options
    car1shopcar1shop Member Posts: 8
    What is the name of the dealer in NJ that quotes a price ~ $16K? And is this for a Civic LX w/AT? The dealers in AZ act like $17K is a deal!! If that's the best they can do, then I'll wait until January 2010 or shop for a Toyota or Nisson. So...very interested to know which dealers are around the $16K mark for a Civic LX?
  • Options
    lucky21lucky21 Member Posts: 2
    for Calif customers in LA or Orange County: Sav More $$$: Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, CA was worth the drive from Sherman Oaks!
    My 2009 AT 4-dr silver Civic Sedan was 15,417.xx incl. dest. only, on July 6th. LA county tax & lic + doc fee = $17,177.xx OTD.
    My salesperson honored the internet price quote & gave me early, the weekend special price available at that time which was 100 dollars LESS than quoted [no dealer adds either] !! Finance was a breeze, extras were offered, but no hard sell. Their Service dept. was great too!! FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY. in/out 1-1.5 hr. you can go fast or slow/ your choice.
    CAUTION: due to C4C program+ higher demand/ less stock, current prices are likely higher; but I still think SPREEN HONDA's your best bet for 2009 LX/EX civics!! In July, EX was approx 1400.xx > the LX price without extras=navi, leather/ T or Lic, etc. GOOD LUCK ALL
  • Options
    ekrekr Member Posts: 1
    Yes...I am having the same problem...dealers in Raleigh, NC...3 so far...are acting like the economy is BOOMING and they can't keep enough cars on the lot, despite the fact that we have never seen so many cars on a lot in our life. Full to capacity.

Looking for **2009** Civic LX 4 dr. sedan...lot was FULL of them...offered $16,100 - $16,200 + fees paid by us and they are all laughing at us. Won't budge below $16,800 + fees bringing OTD to $17,700.

Purchased both of our previous Honda's - in a GOOD economy - in California for $300 over invoice about 10 yrs. ago...but how can they be tripling this profit in such a sour economy. Husband works in investments and calculated that the increase should have brought the amount over invoice in today's dollars to about $450 (?) vs. $300...but not up to $1,000.

I can only imagine that they are trying to make up for this horrible year, but this seems absurd. Are they really telling their sales guys and managers to hold on. However...we are also hanging on by our fingernails financially and are only buying this car because we absolutely have to, so we can't take that hit either.

At a loss here...
  • Options
    Hi its me again! Ok so its that end of a year time. I decided to definitely go with the LX to keep those payments low as possible. Civic lx coupe auto that is. Now I've figured dealer cost is about 16.5 and they have that dealer incentive of 750, so thought to offer 17k OTD (TTL included) for an '09. I figure since its an '09 and they trying to make way for the '10's they would be more likely to accept my offer? What about if I asked for an '10 at the same price. I mean other than year its the exact same model, except down the road difference in resell value is about 1k. Not that I'm planning to get rid of another new vehicle so soon but if I can get it, why not? Thanks again for all your fabulous advice :)
  • Options
    golden_beargolden_bear Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking at an ad for '07 Honda Civic EX sedan. It has a sunroof, cloth seats, and 55,000 miles and it is listed for $13,995
    Couple things I'm worried about is the relatively high mileage and that the dealer is not a Honda dealership (Infiniti dealer). I'll have to send my mechanic to check the car out for problems but does this look like a fair deal?
    Any inputs will be appreciated-
  • Options
    hollywoodfla1hollywoodfla1 Member Posts: 1
    First time here. I own a 2006 Honda Civic w/ 56K miles. Long story short- smelled like my car was overheating..hours later checked hoses, water etc..no apparent issues.
    Towed it to my mechanic- He states that once they did a pressure test that a stream of water pissed out of the ENGINE BLOCK? He said in his 40 yrs working on hondas he has never seen anything like it.
    Took it to the dealer and they seemed to know what exactly was going on- The dude has a diagram of the engine and where these leaks would appear from. They are looking the entire engine over to see if any damaged was caused internally- either way I am getting a brand new bottom half of the engine block- it'll take two weeks and they spotted me a loner for that time- There were 10 civics backed up in this bay. he stated, once I pressed him- that this will happen to all 2006-2008 civics-
    Ya'll be on your toes. I'll give updates once this moves along.
    Be aware!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Hi hollywoodfla1! Welcome to the forums..

Since this is a pricing discussion, you might try posting your problem in the Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues
    discussion, and see if anyone else has had your problem, and what sort of result they had.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Finally got my car :) Wasn't able to get it as low as I had hoped but its doable. Final numbers:
    OTD - 18.7k
    Car itself - 16.9k
    Trade in - 9500 (and sales tax savings about 500)

So after researching on edmunds, carbuyingtips and truecar I was hoping for an OTD price closer to 17k. But calling around to all the local dealerships (up to an hour away) I found very few '09 Honda Civic LX coupes (auto) available. Most wanted around 19k but found two (one local, one about an hour away) that would come near 18.5k. So made arrangements to come in the next day to try to purchase it (at the local one). Salesman said he was coming in on his day off for me but when I arrived a lil early he was helping another customer already. He introduced to a different sales person who took me out to see the car. Insisted I had to ride in the car with him or he would get in trouble so circled around the lot and parked up front to go back into the office.

Inside the office it began. Some silly offer of 19k or more... no I was told 18.5. Original sales person arrives and agrees to that price. Then tries to stick in another 200 for some 1300 of accessories (all I saw was pin stripe and floor mats). Told him what he added on wasn't my problem, he quoted me 18.5 on the only 2009 he had in stock and its options already right?

Anyways while talking about that I was reading over the other numbers which confused me. Yes I was doing a trade in, but I was paying the difference owed so in my calculations it had no bearing (of course they put the trade in up top tho to confuse me, prefer doing two separate calculations). If I'm getting about 500 in tax savings and the OTD price is 18.5, shouldn't the final price be 18? After a few minutes he said he didn't think he would be able to explain it to me with an answer I'd be satisfied in he agreed to make it work so I'd the 18.2 after the 500 tax savings. Was out in less than four hours after all the paperwork, negotiating the final price took a lil over an hour.

Not too much pressure on agreeing on their price, very willing to work with me so great service in that aspect. Disliked having to work it down from the 19k after an agreed upon price and the silly accessories (I still have no idea what they are other than the mats and pin stripes since nothing is said about dealer addon's on contract or window tag).

Was working to get payments as low as possible so went for the 72 months at 5.99apr (304/month). Could have gotten the 2.9 at 60, but would have been paying as much as on my old car (340/month). Average price I figure since most are showing 16.5 to 17.5 for just the car.

Thanks for all your help and advice thru out the boards. My friends will be here during their experiences, they wanna know all my resources. Prolly won't talk too much more til my next car purchase, so see you then! :shades:
  • Options
    vegashomesvegashomes Member Posts: 24
    2010 Civics are here in Las Vegas, does anyone know how they differ from last years model?
  • Options
    th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    There are no changes for 2010 on either the coupe or the sedan.
  • Options
    How stupid. I just got an email from my bank that the dealership charged part of what I was paying to the wrong account and they overcharged it. I better not get a freaking overdraft fee or I'm going to be pissed. :mad:
  • Options
    pavanapavana Member Posts: 1
    I am planing to buy Honda civic coupe EX 2009. What is the best OTD price to sign the deal.
  • Options
    blerner2blerner2 Member Posts: 47
    I'm not really in the market for a new vehicle until December, but was hoping to take advantage of the '09 special financing rate (2.9% for 60 mos.), rather than buying a '10 model in December.

I am interested in a leftover '09 EX Auto w/Navi and there are a couple of dealers in my city that have a few of these left over.

Edmunds Invoice price for this vehicle is $21,060. Any suggestions on what a reasonable OTD (excluding tax, tag, title), I should be shooting for?

I figured $500 below invoice as a target. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    soupandcheesesoupandcheese Member Posts: 2
    I have some question guys. I can prolly get a Civic LX 2009 Auto for 18.5K OTD in California where MSRP is : $18,155, invoice price: $16,727.. My question is, should i buy now or wait until next month or so when they will maybe have more inventory which will even lower the price a little more to say 18K. Also, OTD includes everything right? taxes, license, etc? Furthermore, there is a special 2.9%APR until 11/2. Can i get a better APR than that? or is that the max APR i can get?. Also, is there any catch to the 2.9%APR because i heard that you have to pay 750 bux more for the car.

Bottom line: Buy now for 18.5K? or wait later for it to drop