Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smadnysmadny Posts: 7
    Why Can't I get a quote like that? The best I got for an 2009 LX is a quote 16250 (w/destination charge) Do you still bargain with dealers on the day of the purchase? to knock the price down? What are the secrets of some of you?

Thanks!

-Mark
  • bostonbenbostonben Posts: 65
    Depends on the time of month. The 15.5 price was at the end of last month. Could also depend on location (not sure where you are). Boston is a very competitive market with some of the top Honda dealers in sales in the country (most famously, Boch).
  • boston84boston84 Posts: 10
    Curios bostonben, did you end up buying from Boch? Did 15.5 include doc fee?
  • jukordsjukords Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

It is my first time to buy a car and this is my first post to the forum.

I am planning to buy 09 Civic LX auto and already contacted several dealers here in Maryland tru internet.

Best BASE quote I have so far is $15660 from Honda Pohanka.

I Just want to ask..

Do dealers change and increase base cost/offers if you have not so good credit rating or will they just give you higher APR?

Please help..

:confuse:
    Hi mmcm,

Just curious on what dealership you got coz I am also residing here in MD.

I am planning to buy Civic LX Auto.

Can you share the OTD and breakdown of the fees they charged?

Thanks
    Well, if you go into a dealer and negotiate telling them you need financing, you can get jerked around. Always negotiate (preferably via email so you have it in writing) as if you're going to come in that day and pay cash. Then worry about financing. Check with your local bank/credit union to see if you can be pre-approved for some financing (might not be as easy if you have bad credit). If you're a recent college grad, most mfgs have financing programs that specifically apply. Hope that helps.
  • mllewellynmllewellyn Posts: 25
    Hey guys,
    Does anybody know if Honda is going to offer some incentives later in the month?
    I have seen really high rebates and cash back for other's such as Toyotas and Mazdas but nothing for Honda.
    Also, does anyone know if there will be a huge sale for Memorial Day Weekend?
    Thanks
  • pdrbruinpdrbruin Posts: 1
    Hi I am looking for an 09 civic coupe ex. The lowest quote I'm getting is $17870 (including destination) but not including the T,T,&L, this is after multiple dealership contacts. Is this a good deal for now, or should I wait until the end of the month? In California the Vehicle License fee is almost doubling next week, so I do not know will the savings be enough to offset the license fee, if I wait?
  • wolfensteinwolfenstein Posts: 11
    If this is an automatic, then it sounds like a pretty good deal. I paid $17287 (includes dest.) for an 09 4dr Civic sedan AT one month ago in NC. I believe the EX coupe and 4dr are priced the same.

See message #8208 for the details.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Seems ok if taxes tag and title in your state is about $300. If closer to $1000+ getting into excellent category.

$18,000 OTD for a 2009 Civic EX (4dr, auto) no accessories....

Good deal / bad deal?
    jfritsch,
    You've been offered $18,000 for a 2009 civic EX (4dr, auto) right now?
    I think thats real good considering Honda is not offering any rebates.
    Thats just my opinion.
    What dealership did you get if from?
    Thanks for the advice bostonben.

One more thing,
    Do I really need to buy extended warranty for this car or is it very reliable not to get one? If so what coverage should I get? Any price range?

Hondas are very reliable, but an extended warranty may be a good idea if you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time or just want that protection. Do not buy the extended warranty from the dealer. There are several online dealers who sell genuine Honda warranties at significant discounts. For example: http://www.bernardiwarranty.com/ You can google for others.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Extended Warranties are VERY rarely worth the extra cost! Consumer Reports and other consumer-advice websites say they're a waste of money and a huge source of dealer profit. Extended Warranties/Service Contracts are the highest profit margin item that most dealers sell.

If you decide to get one anyway, make sure it's one backed by the manufacturer (extends the regular warranty) and NOT from a 3rd party. The 3rd party warranties that they sell are often not worth the paper they're printed on. According to one CR report, the payout rate on 3rd warranties is less than 2% (of their total income). Often, they only cover powertrain components, too.

You minimize your chance of having mechanical troubles by choosing a car with a solid reliability record (Honda Civic is a tthe top of that list). The Honda warranty covers 3-years/36-months Bumper-To-Bumper and 5-years/60-months Powertrain.

I've owned nine Hondas (seven Hondas, two Acuras) and I've only had trouble with one of them. It was a '96 Accord, the camshaft seal failed 2k before the warranty expired, they replaced it. Then it happened again at 78k miles, because of the preivous failure, they covered it out of warranty. That was a fluke...I have a '93 Accord as a spare with 290k on the original engine (transmission replaced at 270k).

Save you money. Put $50 in a savings account instead of buying an extended warranty. In three years, you'll have $1800 plus interest. Enough to cover unlikely repairs and you get to keep the cash if nothing goes wrong! :)

You might even take a look at an '07 or '08 Certified Used Civic! They have a powertrain warranty from Honda for 7-years/100k miles from original in-service date...standard! Just a thought.
    Hey guys,
    With what Honda is offering right now (not much), is $19,500 OTD for a 2009 honda civic EX 4dr automatic good or should it be lower?
    Thanks
    No. Still looking. A relative just got a lx-p 2dr with mats for $16400, and several people have posted around the mid 17's for the EX. Based my opinion on the $18000 otd # EX auto on that.

Honda has never had factory to customer rebates and probably never will. The rebate is yours regardless. How much the dealer incentive he wishes to share depends on his sales #'s in the area. Honda has always worked with dealer incentives (disclosed and undisclosed)

Good luck
    --jjf
    jfritsch,
    You've been offered $18,000 for a 2009 civic EX (4dr, auto) right now?
    I think thats real good considering Honda is not offering any rebates.
    Thats just my opinion.
    What dealership did you get if from?
    myhondawarranty.com has been selling honda factory warranties online for years (saccucci honda), as well a the one mentioned by the other guy. Regardless of what nameplate, extended warranties are only a deal if you don't get taken for them in the finance office for $2000 or so.

About $800 or so is what you want for an average sedan for a 7yr/100kmi bumper to bumper extension. (for a car with 3/36 and 6/60000 mi powertrain warranty std.

About $1200 or so for a 4wd or vehicle loaded with navi,pwr sliding doors, etc... something in the 24000 range.

Good luck
    -jim

Thanks for the advice bostonben.

One more thing,
    Do I really need to buy extended warranty for this car or is it very reliable not to get one? If so what coverage should I get? Any price range?

Thanks
  • smadnysmadny Posts: 7
    Did the pricing go up for the Civics in May overall? I am feeling that i am not getting any good quotes in May, i am not in a hurry to buy, but do want to get best possible deal. I would like to find out what People out there nationally are paying for the 2009 Sedan EX automatic (please include destination in your purchase price) no (OTD) Out The Door pricing since Tax Title and Licensing varies so much by the state. Thank You!
    Prices went away because end of month incentives in April went away in May.

I'm guessing there will be more incentives towards the end of the month (Memorial Day).
  • I live in Minneapolis and would like to buy a new 2009 Civic Ex Sedan. The lowest price quote I have received from the 10 or so dealers within a 150-mile radius is about $18,450 PLUS tax and license (our tax is 6.5%).

I was thinking about offering around $18,300 for total cost of the car (including tax and license).

From reading advice here and in other places, would I be wise to wait until the weekend after this one for any memorial day sales/leverage since it will also be toward the end of the month??

One other thought from a friend of mine is that gas costs will probably continue to rise, making the Civic even more popular again....

Any advice you have about timing/price of my offer would be much appreciated! Also, if any of you have experience with this in Twin Cities, which dealer did you use?

Thanks much!
  • newbie33newbie33 Posts: 1
    Your post is very helpful, especially for a first time car buyer like myself. Do you mind telling me which dealer you worked with to get that deal ($17,750 OTD)? Not sure what other info I would need to negotiate with the Serramonte dealership. Thanks so much.
  • wmtnwmtn Posts: 2
    In the Philadelphia area here, I just got pricing for the automatic lx coupe at 16,199, up from 15,914 last month.
  • pg9pg9 Posts: 2
    I bought this car May 15th, and paid $18,670 OTD (living in VA with 3.2% tax). Did I pay too much??
  • pg9pg9 Posts: 2
    I bought a 2009 Automatic Civic EX coupe on May 15th, for $18,670 OTD (living in VA with 3.2% tax). Did I pay too much??
    Seeing that there is no eye-catching incentives that Honda is offering, should I wait a little while longer for some to come out?
    At the end of April was some real nice incentives and I'm hoping for something like that again. Do you guys think its too late in the month for Honda to offer anything or is there always still time?
    Thanks
  • opianoopiano Posts: 1
    hi, I have a dealer offer for a new EX-L 2009 for $20,132 (all taxes/fees included), but I also found an EX-L 2008 (w/nav, 22k miles) for $17,400 (all taxes and fees included). The nav is not important to me at all. I'm having a hard time deciding. the used one is far from my home (6hr drive, each way) so that makes it harder too!

I've never bought a new car in my life, always thought it wasn't worth the extra cost. I could try to negotiate the used one down a bit but we're already $600 below sticker price.

Any advice? I'm currently driving a Civic DX 91 and it's still running great, but it's time for something newer...
  • yyz4yyz4 Posts: 2
    I am being offered $17,417 out door price for 09 Civic Coupe LX. Is it a good deal?
    What was offered in April that was so great?

They currently have $1000 Marketing Support on Coupes, $750 on EX-up Sedans and $500 on DX/LX/LX-S Sedans. Was it higher in April?

They still have 3.9% APR for 60-months (if qualified). That has been offered since 3/18/09 and expires on 7/6/09.

The Marketing Support is in effect from 5/5/08 to 7/6/09, so I wouldn't expect it to change before 7/6/09.
    Out the door as in Tax & Tag/Title Fees, everything included? Manual or automatic transmission?

Edmunds shows the Invoice for the LX Coupe 5MT as $17,305. Subtract the $1000 Marketing Support and it's $16,305, which is close to their TMV of $16,497. Then you have to add the fees/taxes...so it sounds like it a pretty good deal to me.
  • barkley2barkley2 Posts: 2
    Hi,

I was just wondering what the actual dealerships you went to and what sales person you worked with? Im considering the drive to Sacramento for that price. I had the worst experience at El Cerrito Honda. They will lie and do anything to get you there, even if it means putting a quote in writing and then telling you once your there they cant honor the price...they would be losing to much money! I was willing to negotiate but we weren't talking about a slight "misquote" they had the audacity to ask for a 1K difference!