Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am a huge fan of tinting car windows. Just had our new Civic sedan tinted with top of the line tint and lifetime replacement warranty for under $200. It is so hot and bright in Florida that it helps. I always get tint as dark as the law will allow and have never had a problem with the police or night vision. Tint businesses are liable if they tint darker than law allows. No tint on windows makes me feel like I am in a fish bowl.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,695
    Windows have tint from the factory.

Maybe if I lived in a hot climate I would want tint but not here. If wqe take in a used car with tint we remove it (not easy). They just don't sell with tint. I'm sure in hot parts of the country this isn't the case.

And tint definatly reduces night vision! How can it not?
  • I can understand that. Here in the south tinted windows are desirable. I didn't say that tinted windows do not darken vision at night; I just stated that I have never had a problem with it. But it does not create a safety issue with visibility or it would not be permitted and limos most definitely would not be permitted to have near black out tint. The limitations on how dark window tint is allowed is for police safety so they can see inside when approaching a car.
  • What was the the total price of the accessories you mention,mud flaps rear spoiler etc? on 2010 EX-L
  • Thanks for the replies. I want tinting cause here in Oklahoma, the sun can be really hot and bright. I don't really want too dark though.

Well, the dealer got back to me and he couldn't do my $18 000 offer. But he said he can do $18250 (he said i'm really lucky to get this quote). This price will include the car, all fees, taxes, and accessories. Good price?
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Yes - and that is why in California, if you tint windows, the driver's side window has to have a lighter film. There is a specific rule on that in CHiP's manual, based on DMV regulations.
    Different States have different regulations with regards to window tinting.
    Tint removal is fairly simple, if you have it done by professionals (same people, that put it on originally). All you have to do is heat window with hair dryer and then it peels off easily. Then you remove remaining glue residue with cigarette lighter fluid.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,666
    Have had it on all my cars including my current Civic. The lightest tint, which I have, does not affect night vision at all no matter what some insist in here...how much plainer can I say this.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Of course it affects night vision. Maybe not much but it does reduce it.

I can't believe you can't accept this!

And a guy like me needs all of the night vision he can get!
  • Middleclass, Go to honda.com and you can "build" whichever honda you want. It will show you all available options and prices of each option. It will also allow you to see what they look like on your vehicle as you "build" it. The accessories are the hardest part to figure price on when figuring a negotiating price with a dealer. This is what I used. I took the final price of the vehicle, added in tax, and got the title fees, etc. from my county tax office. After totaling these numbers, I then had a base price from which to negotiate. It's much easier this way than to try and negotiate down from sticker. I also compared the price from that site with edmunds price and they were both in agreement. The only issue left is finding a dealer willing to give a good price.
  • Florida has a similar tint law. The rear windows can be fairly dark but the two front windows must be a lighter tint. Also, the windshield can only have an "eyebrow" of tint. This allows enough light through the vehicle that a police officer can see in the automobile for safety.
    Correction (with due respect).
    If you are out of State where tinting is allowed, cops cannot do anything to you - I refer to certain law suit that was brought up by an Arizona driver (in that jurisdiction you can have driver's side dark tinted as well), who was pulled over by Calif. CHP (for driver's side window being too dark) , went to Court and his attorney successfully argued that case. The judge threw that case out because Calif CHP (similar to WA State Trooper) has no jurisdiction over vehicles from out of State that conform to those State's laws.
    If you are really interested, any attorney can research that issue and confirm the above.
    This was also confirmed to me by a CHP officer in L.A. (my neighbor).
    I'm from California and I remember the CHP guys quite well.

I didn't say they couldn't do anything to you, I just said that cops hate tint and it wouldn't get you started out on the right foot with them.

If I were a cop I suppose I would hate it too when I couldn't see into a suspecious car.
    You've got that right!
  • Hi pcvsmac,

The internet price itself they quoted me was 17,091 and top of that they gave me $500 off for a coupon they sent me for Halloween. So the total comming down to $16,591 + Taxes.

Thanks
  • There are a couple of things you can do to get comfortable with your price.

FIRST, just use Edmunds to get the dealer's invoice price for the car, without any of the added accessories (fog lights, tint, etc.) -- just the invoice for the Civic LX. Edmunds also has the destination charge, which apparently varies by region. So you end up with an approximation of what the dealers pay (but not really!!)

To get your best deal, just deal for the car, and then either buy the accessories after you've reached a price or buy them online (for a savings) later. Keep them out of the equation, though, because the dealer can make it very complicated for you to know what you are paying for the car vs. the accessories.

You should end up knowing that your plain vanilla Civic LX is selling for more than or less than the dealer invoice and destination fee.

Then, decide if you think that is fair. Keep in mind that the dealers don't actually PAY what their invoice says they pay. They get reimbursed later on for buying the cars, along with other deals between Honda and the dealer.

SECOND: Just call around. Tell a dealer that you are looking for the best price (DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT ANOTHER DEALER IS OFFERING). Be firm. Evenutally, they should tell you what their invoice is. If it isn't within a dollar or two of what you have found on Edmunds, tell them you are confused, because invoice should be $X. At that point, you know they are trying to pull a stunt, so be very wary about proceeding.

After three or four phone calls, you should be able to weed out the ones that don't consistently refer to the same invoice and destination fees. After that, they should all be pretty close. A Civic right now should actually move for less than invoice, because dealers need to sell cars even when the economy is crummy. Somebody out there will promise to beat everyone else's deal, so hold them to it. And don't bargain with the accessories as a part of the negotiation. Hold them out until the end, and consider buying them for less on line.

Good luck. Buying a new car is not really that much fun, but stay firm, and understand that you need to be in charge.
  • Wife just got an LX-S in Lynnwood, WA.

OTD = $20,250

Price B4 TTL was like $18,230ish.

aBoVe1
  • Truecar.com(http://truecar.com/index.html) has inventory/price sold for each area as reference. If it's up to date, it is a very good reference for folks who is trying to figure out what they should pay.

I just look it up, what I paid for a 2010 LX Auto ($17399 + tax + doc. fee + dmv) is on lower end. (but not the lowest) Just wonder who got it below 17K...not many though.

Good luck on your car hunting.
    Great website - thanks!
  • Hi Covina,

Can you tell me the dealership name? I am in southern CA and looking for a car

thanks in advance
  • Hi there,

The dealership is Spreen Honda. I am in the market for a Civic LX and talked with him couple pages back. Let me know how's purchase goes.
  • Did you guys try

http://www.realcartips.com/2009-Honda-Civic-Prices

It has price paid for civic from different places, do you think it is authentic? I plan to call some dealers to see if it is true.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,666
    Don't think this varies by region...every buyer pays the same destination charge which goes to the manufacturer, not to the individual dealership. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Doc fees vary by states but we all pay the same destination charges.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,719
    The destination charge is the same everywhere in the lower 48 states... But, it is just part of the car, along with the base price... It makes the car look cheaper somehow, being broken out, but you pay whatever price you negotiate.... and all that money goes to your dealer..

Your dealer buys the car from the manufacturer...then, sells it to you.. All the rest is just marketing..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Local dealer is offering an 09 Civic EX for $18,600. (plus fees, etc.)
    Haven't negotiated at all - looking for input on how far I can/should push the price.
    Trying to buy fast - help!
    Thanks.
  • jbomsjboms Posts: 1
    Hi I was wondering if this is a good out the door price for the car?

$21,600

I can't seem to get them to lower the car.. initial was $21,200 but he mentioned that the car came with some pre-installed options... wheel lock, etc etc. Can those be remove to maintain the $21,200? I forgot to ask him to see if that was viable.

2010 Civic Coupe EX AT

Thanks!
  • zoranzoran Posts: 68
    car man, can u please help us with 3 years/30k miles lease rates and what is the best price for this car, and what others are paying.

We are debating if heavily discounted get 2010, or wait for summer 2011 releases?

Please advise?
    Thanks
  • One can actually buy an OTD price for 2010 Honda Civic Lx for $18,400 here in MD.

We bought the car on Nov 27th. Let me know if one is interested in knowing the dealerships...

Good luck on your car hunting.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is looking to speak to a consumer who purchased on Honda because of its strong resale value (or ability to hold on to its value). Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 2, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Can you please the break up of the cost please? like

Vehicle Price (include destination)
    Doc Fees
    Tax
    TTL
  • rocky, we bought a civic 4dr ex from vip honda memorial day weekend....19,600 otd ....financed 10,000 for 3 years at 2.9% probably could have gotten it for 200-300 less if i went through the whole haggle , wait, lets go, no plz sit down type of [non-permissible content removed] car buying dance that...well you get the picture. Anyhow i think you could prob get same type deal now...no junker program for them to raise the price and get about half of the junker credit value!