Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Just bought a new civic from McMinnvile Honda. The salesman was very reluctant to budge on the price but I was able to negotiate the value of our trade up a little. To us, the trade-in vehicle was absolutely worthless. He offered $400 but I talked him up to $750

Vehicle: $18399
    DMV fees: +348
    Flex Cash Incentive: -500
    Competitor Incentive: -500

Total Price: $17747
    After Trade OTD $16997
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Congrats on your new Civic - you guys are so lucky not to have sales tax!

Bill G
  • Moved from the Accord thread to the Civic since this one is at least 5k cheaper. I was offered $19,112 before TTL in SoCal. It will be way over $21k OTD. Is this a decent deal? I told the salesman that I'm not willing to pay over $20k and asked him to take depreciation value into consideration and offer me a better price. He said it's already below $1,500 and it's the best time to buy right now and that there won't be any discount on the 2014 until this time again next year and by then the 2015 will be available already (seems like he implied that I'll never be able to make a purchase if I keep thinking that way - which is somewhat true :( I don't intend to waste their time but they keep on checking back with me if I'm still interested even though I've given them my target price. What to do...
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Price difference between base Accord and Civic is about $3.5k.

Dealership feels your insecurity on whether to buy or not. They'll go down or they wouldn't keep calling. Tell them what you'll pay in a firm confident manner, if they can't give you that price, say you understand, and will search elsewhere. Don't worry about wasting their time. Your a serious buyer.
    2 - invoice on a 2013 Civic EX Sdn is about 20,150 so they are quoting you about 1000 under. Don't know what that 1500 in your post means. If you offer 18,600, which is 1500 below, you're at around 20,600 out the door. I'm not sure you can get to 20,000 - our sales tax is pretty steep. If you haven't already, touch base with Spreen Honda, Loma Linda Internet Dept - they usually have aggressive pricing. Watch for unwanted add ons though.

Bill G
  • That's why I wanted the salesman to lower his price of $19,112 but he's claiming it's a big discount of $1,500 (perhaps from MSRP?) I didn't mean $20k as in 20,000 flat but as in under 21k. I thought they'd be willing to sell since they have a lot of 2013 left but surprisingly no one's willing to go under $19k...whyyyyyyy?
    I think we talked about this before, but are you getting quotes from multiple dealers? There are a lot of Honda dealers in SoCal - you should be able to get this vehicle for around 1500 under invoice. Spreen and Cerritos are a couple that usually have aggressive pricing. Keep at it - you will get there.

Bill
  • Just received their quotes this morning. Honda Civic Sedan EX is $18,601 before TTL. I asked for OTD price but the salesman gave me the equation of "price quote + tax + license + registration (10%). Not sure how to calculate it correctly. Is tax before Doc and License fee or after?

Sale price = $18,601
    Doc = $80
    Lic = $273.75
    Total taxable: $18,954.75
    9% TAX = $1,706
    OTD = $20,660.75 ??

Need to confirm with you guys before I agree to drive all the way there to make the purchase. Thankss
  • Received an OTD price of $19,646 for the 2013 EX after $500 Flex and $500 Loyalty program. I was so happy that I booked an appointment to buy it tonight! Then an hour later, I received another call saying it's a price mistake. The final OTD would be $20,646 instead. I was disappointed that in the end he couldn't even offer $20,500 OTD like he promised. After that, I didn't want to leave work an hour early and jump over all these hurdles to make it in time before the manager leaves. I was told the offer is only good for tonight but it's such a short notice for me to get all the required documents. I canceled the appointment and now he said I could come any time tonight instead of 7:30pm. I feel cheated... Am I over thinking it? Should I try to negotiate? Should I just move on to the next dealership?
    Where does it stand now? If you are at 20,600 out the door, that's about 1500 below invoice selling price - not a bad deal. Where did they come up with those incentives? Did they explain how the mistake was made?
  • Personally, I'd walk.

The disclaimer here is that I am stubborn (perhaps unreasonably so) and tend to act out of principle. In that situation, it's not about the numbers; it's about them screwing with me. I'd walk and find the same deal somewhere else.
    Yes - its always suspicious when a dealer offers up some great incentives and then says oh oh, we messed up. That's why I am curious as to how exactly did the so called mistake happen. But if the quote of 1500 below invoice is legit, it's a pretty good price.

Bill G
  • I agree, Bill. $1500 below invoice is a pretty good price. And the bottom line probably should be the bottom line. If the buyer is headed out the door with a price he/she feels good about, perhaps it shouldn't matter what happened to get to that point.

My problem is that, for me, it does matter. I place a high premium on honesty. If I walked out with that deal, my satisfaction would be tempered by the thought that perhaps I was lied to. I wouldn't recommend that dealership to friends/family, and I wouldn't return there for service.
  • What I'm going to say is probably going to make you guys pull your hairs out. I decided to get the car anyway, $20,495 OTD as promised ($500 flex, $500 loyalty) 0.9% for 36 months. I knew I didn't want Gap insurance or the extended warranty. And then I was introduced to this car alarm system (Karr). Long story short, I believed that my car would get broken into and stolen, assumed that the new car doesn't come with alarm, so I got it. $30 extra to my monthly payment, a total of $900. I asked him to lower it and he said he can't; he's a single dad raising a lil girl and he has to make a living and showed me her pictures..so I backed off. Overall, I didn't get any free add-on and overpaid for this blue flashing light in my car. I know it would've been a decent deal if I had rejected everything the finance guy offered but I was mislead - my fault. If anyone is having buyer's remorse like me or feeling upset, just think of it like a donation to make up all the losses they might have had with the below invoices transaction s...I'm going to tell myself that so I can find peace. I don't want stress! WARNING! DO NOT GET KARR SECURITY SYSTEM!
    Hey - don't beat yourself up over this. You got a great car at a pretty good price. Tuck the car alarm info away in your knowledge base and remember it the next time. Read your manual to become familiar with how the maintenance minder system works. In addition to regular oil changes, I recommend doing a drain and refill on the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles - its only about 60 bucks (20 if you do it yourself) - this will make sure you always have fresh fluid - don't do flushes. Learn how to change your cabin filter and engine air filter yourself - you can get them for about 10-12 bucks - the dealer will try to charge you 60-70 bucks each. Change out your brake and power steering fluid every couple years.

You did good - enjoy your new civic!

Bill
  • Hey, it happens to even the most seasoned buyers. I've never made a major purchase that I didn't second guess after the fact. Turn the negatives into lessons learned, then forget about it and enjoy the car! You'll make other major purchases and be a better buyer with each one.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,709
    Exactly - the exhilaration of the new car should last long after any pain from the purchase process has passed.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am looking to buy a Civic LX Sedan, automatic. Sticker is $19,755, what should I be shooting for as a purchase price? I do qualify for Conquest. Is there additional Flex Cash for financing with Honda? Invoice looks to be $18,423. In Missouri, TTL is paid later at the DMV, so my OTD price will be strictly the vehicle price plus doc fee. Thanks for your help.
  • rrrmarrrma Posts: 2
    All,

Just bought the 2013 Civic LX Sedan yesterday with OTD 18,300. Is this a good price?

Thanks,
  • 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan
    Vehicle Price: $20,251
    Doc Fee: $249
    OTD: $20,500

I realize I could have probably gotten the price a bit lower. This was my first car purchase but, I did not take any extras from the dealer.
    What was your purchase price before TTL (tax, title, license)?
    Have you completed this purchase yet? These cars are currently going for 12-1500 below invoice. Invoice is around 20,200.

Bill G
  • Hello all, the following is an internet quote I received after inquiring online in the Houston area. How does this deal look?

Civic EX Sedan MSRP $21,605.00
    Internet Price**$17,835.00 
    Destination and Handling$790.00
    Honda Protection Package (wheel locks, splash guards and cargo tray)  $339.00
    State Sales Tax 6.25%  $1,185.25
    Vehicle Inventory Tax  $39.88
    License Fee  $64.25
    Inspection & Title Fee $61.75
    Documentary Fee $125.00
    Drive-Out $20,440.13
  • Yes, I bought the car for that price. Again, I realize I may have been able to get the price lower, but I am fine with the price I paid.
    Congrats - enjoy your new Civic EX - they are super cars!

Bill G
  • Thanks, Bill! Even my better half is enjoying it despite that it is an automatic - haha!
  • Pulled the trigger on a Civic today. MSRP was $19,755 and I paid $16,950 including doc fee, plus TTL. That includes getting the color combo I want brought in from another dealer. Should be able to pick it up the next day or two. Will make a fantastic first car for my son.
    Great job burbdriver - good price - enjoy the new LX!

Bill G
  • I am planning to buy 2013 Honda Civic EXL with Navi with some add on like floor mats and trunk mat. Dealer is quoting $25,550 OTD. Can you please advise a good price on this.