Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi redhawk7, thanks for the compliment. Keep on trying. If you can wait and they know you are out there as a serious buyer, you'll have a very good shot at getting the price YOU want. Maybe put a bug in their ear towards the end of the month as they might just need that one extra sale to hit some goal or get their bonus. Better yet they might be calling you and then you're really in the driver's seat. Good luck!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Appreciate your kind words very much carbguy - and today is the Marine Corps' 238th birthday so happy birthday to all Marines, past and present.

Best wishes and thanks to all the other veterans out there - especially the brave men and women currently serving on active duty.

Thanks again carbguy - take care

Bill
  • Buyers should also be aware of the Stair-Step incentives dealers often receive. These incentives, usually based on sales volume, can further reduce dealer cost by several percent. It is truly possible for a dealer to sell well below invoice.
  • Hey all, so I'm looking to buy a new Civic LX. First time car buyer so I'm not entirely sure what a good price is, but I've been searching around and done some math... (I'm in Canada so it's hard to find a comparable on here...)

$18181 Invoice
    $1495 Freight/PDI
    -$1500 Honda Incentive CASH only
    + $500 (~2.5-3% profit for them)

= $18,676 pre-tax

= $21,104 on the road

Did I do the math right? Right now I have a dealer offering me $21,600 and I feel like I should be able to get an offer better than that.

Also, with things like stair step incentives, what would a reasonable canadian price be? below 21 even?
  • Just pulled the trigger on a new 2013 Civic EX-L. $20,621.56 OTD.

Very happy with this deal. Went out to just browse 2013 Honda's on a Sunday with little intent to buy that day, just researching what we wanted. Dealership was 20 plus miles away very busy; we also had a couple dealers closer but they were closed on Sunday.

Our salesman, who was great, was all over the place and could only spend a few minutes with us at a time. We drove a 2013 Crosstour, Accord, and then a Civic. it took us a while to get thru this as we had to wait for the salesman to get freed up.

Da wife was smitten with the Civic and it reminded her of the first car she ever had, 1982 Honda Prelude. We were in the show room waiting to discuss a price when I said to da wife "It's time to leave; we've been here long enough waiting and were missing the Ravens". Nothing mean, hated to do this as I really liked the car and the salesman but it was getting late.

We walked up to the manager's perch and told him that we were sorry and really needed to leave, we walked out and just as we got to the car out runs our salesman begging for a few more minutes. We did but politely explained that we needed his best price quickly or we might be back next weekend on appointment. My thinking was that the car we were looking at would not be there in a week.

The salesman was sure and the manager realized that the chances we would be back were not very good. Had nothing to do with the dealership or the salesman, just that we lived closer to his competitors. Gave us what I thought was a great deal based on the research we were able to do while waiting.

Never did get to see the Ravens lose, but not a bad day after all. We did close the place down thou.....
  • Hi,
    a dealer in NC quoted me $17,604.63 for a new car as mentioned in the subject. Another dealer told me that this is too low and the car could have some hail/flood damage that is not reported and which will come to bite me when I sell/trade the car later on. He also said this damage may or may not have been reported. Could this be true? How can I confirm? I have the VIN with me.
    Another question: the dealer installed options on this car (mud guards, trunk tray, wheel locks) are quoted at $599. I know this is one of the ways to earn a profit for the dealer, but can this be negotiated or would the dealer rather lose my business than negotiate it? I found online that price for these items together is ~$160. Even with $40 labor charges, the dealer is making 200% profit on it. I was wondering if I can get him to lower the price by $200.
  • The price I mentioned is OTD, with tax, TTL, doc fee and dealer added options.
  • I'd say the guy mentioning hail/flood damage is trying to scare you, especially if the $17,604 quote came from a Honda dealership. My advice would be to deal with someone else. He doesn't want to help you; he wants to sell you a car.

The add-ons are certainly negotiable. If they won't negotiate on cost, I'd tell them to take them off. Wheel locks and trunk tray will take two minutes to remove. Mud guards a bit longer.
  • Thank you so much for your informative reply. It's taken a big load off my mind!
    Nice advice on dealer added options too. Didn't know it's so easy to get them off.

Will post details here if this deal goes through. Thanks once again.
  • No problem. As many others have advised here: If the deal doesn't feel "right" to you, walk away. Your instincts are your best friend in this process. Your gut won't lie to you. Some car salesmen will.

Good luck!
  • Went to the dealer who quoted me $17,604.63. Test-drove 3 Civic cars, and found a distinct stalling in all of them when they were going from 40mph to 50mph. This stalling was different from the one we feel when a gear automatically shifts.

The dealer told me that this was a problem in Civic 2012 which was addressed in 2013, but I could still feel that problem in 2013.

Has anybody else found a similar problem in Civic 2013 sedan auto?
  • Just got a pretty good deal at Performance Honda in Cincinnati Ohio (October)
    $17,000 + 283. (dealer and doc fees) - 1000 rebate if we finance = $16,283.

We didn't need to finance, but we did just enough to get the rebate. I see that some others are getting 1500 rebate, but we did this in late October and I think they are offering more money now. No destination charges or other stuff.

In ohio we pay 6.75 % sales tax in addition but that is not really part of the price as this is out of their control.

We also had a very old trade in, but we negotiated price without the trade in. We had shopped around at other dealers too so we knew the range of trade in value. Might have been able to get another 500 trade in somewhere else, but the rest here was pretty good.

I did it all over the internet (with Jennifer Gladwell) and they had the car ready so we didn't have to wait around. Superior Honda in Cincinnati had about the same deal but we have worked with Performance before so went with them.
    Highly recommend them.
  • You can tell the dealer you don't want the things and just take them off. It's just way for them to make some more money off of you.

Here is our purchase story in Cincinnati. By the way, we also shopped in Raleigh NC and found the sales people there to be total "slimers". We told them the quote we had from Cincy and they basically said the dealers in Cincy were liars. My husband was so upset with the NC dealers that we left and drove to Cincy to buy the car.

In the end, we feel we got a pretty good deal at Performance Honda in Cincinnati Ohio (late October)
    $17,000 + 283. (dealer and doc fees) - 1000 rebate if we finance = $16,283.

We didn't need to finance, but we did just enough to get the rebate. I see that some others are getting 1500 rebate, but we did this in late October and I think they are offering more money now. No destination charges or other stuff.

In ohio we pay 6.75 % sales tax in addition but that is not really part of the price.

We also had a very old trade in, but we negotiated price without the trade in. We had shopped around at other dealers too so we knew the range of trade in value. Might have been able to get another 500 trade in somewhere else, but the rest here was pretty good.

I did it all over the internet (with Jennifer Gladwell) and they had the car ready so we didn't have to wait around. Superior Honda had about the same deal but we have worked with Performance before so went with them.
    Highly recommend them. Our total price including Ohio taxes and one small option we asked them to add was $17, 458 out the door including everything.
  • Got the car out of the lot yesterday. Price was 18500 OTD.
    I was not eligible for the College Grad and Military incentives so I think this deal is not bad at all :)
  • Hi Khanhle, I just want to clarify, was that price for an EX or LX? It seems extremely low for an EX, as stated in your title.
  • The 16,283, does that include the following fees?

Online Registration: +$14.55
    State Tire Tax: +$5.00
    State Encumberance fee: +$5.00
    Title fee: +$22.50
    New Plate Fee: +$10.00

I am just very confused about how people are getting such low prices. I live in Pittsburgh, and have contacted 8 dealerships, and they all say they are out of my mind when I try to negociate and offer the prices that people are getting on here. (I don't qualify for military or grad). The best quote I got out the door is as follows:

MSRP: $19,755
    Invoice Price: $18,422.80
    Our Selling Price: $17,880
    Sales tax @ 7%: $1,251.60

Subtotal before fees after tax: $19,131.60
    - $500 (conquest cash)
    $18,631.60

Documentation fee: +$131.00
    Online Registration: +$14.55
    State Tire Tax: +$5.00
    State Encumberance fee: +$5.00
    Title fee: +$22.50
    New Plate Fee: +$10.00

Out the door price: $18,855.65 (-or- $18,355.65 if we receive a new supply of flex cash after November 4th)

And so, when I here people say OTD or X amount plus Doc fees, are you guys including new plate fee, registration, title fee, state tire tax, online registration, etc.
  • It was EX :). They held me back with that price as I was about to walk out of the dealer. I got the deal of 18800 at another dealer, but they didn't let me walk away that easy.
  • Oh, and btw, when I mean OTD it literally means OTD ( Freight charge, dealer processing fee, tax, tags included) :)
    What is the actual selling price including destination fee and dealer doc fee? An out the door price doesn't help folks who aren't buying a car where you are - the mandated TTL fees differ by location.

Thanks, Bill G
  • Sale Price: 16400
    Destination: 790
    Processing fee: 485
    4% Virginia Sale Tax: 707
    +fees etc....

=18500 :)

I didn't care much about the selling price. I dealt straight up with the dealer for an OTD price :).
    I think this time of the year you can strike a lot of good deals.
    That's about 2400 below invoice - killer deal - what dealer?
  • @khanhle --- Can you please tell me the dealer and the sales rep you dealt with ? Thats a darn good price for an EX....
  • When I bought my Civic, the finance manager told me I'd have to buy new, not used like I had planned, because I had less than perfect credit. His reasoning was the banks view used cars as a bigger risk because they are worth less. So I got an LX sedan, new.

On one hand this seems counter intuitive, but on the other I can kind of see the point. Is this true re new cars and credit? Or did I get hustled? Thanks.
  • That's Bill Page Honda in Falls Church, VA. Koons Honda gave me a good deal too, it was 16700, but I went with the lowest one.. :D
  • I bought the Honda Civic 2013 LX out the door price is 17047.00. I had to take the Honda finance to get this price. I opted for Auto Dimming Mirror which brought me to 17340.00. Dealer name is Honda Tysons Corner, Mclean, VA.

15033 (Base Price)
    790 (Destination Charges)
    351 (Auto Dimmer)
    + Virginia Sales Tax + Processing Fees (499) + Tags and Title cost = 17340.00.

There are lot of dealers who don't give you this price as they show that they are loosing money on this deal. But this is 2013 model not the 2014. Denied all the options what dealer provided. Not sure its the best price. I had to call 12 dealers around the location one dealer gave the buyers order form. I used that to negotiate again with all the dealers. Nobody agreed to give this price except Honda Tysons.
  • vmsivmsi Posts: 5

HI bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi -4DR Sedan OTD: Price of $22,000.00

@shrini said: Went to the dealer who quoted me $17,604.63. Test-drove 3 Civic cars, and found a distinct stalling in all of them when they were going from 40mph to 50mph. This stalling was different from the one we feel when a gear automatically shifts.

The dealer told me that this was a problem in Civic 2012 which was addressed in 2013, but I could still feel that problem in 2013.

HI bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

Do think it is Good deal ?

Hi bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

Do you think it is a Good price ?

@shrini said: Went to the dealer who quoted me $17,604.63. Test-drove 3 Civic cars, and found a distinct stalling in all of them when they were going from 40mph to 50mph. This stalling was different from the one we feel when a gear automatically shifts.

• I live near Youngstown, OH. I've been scouring the tri-state area for a deal such as this and I've had absolutely ZERO luck. I've tried just about every dealership and they won't budge from a selling price of $18,200. Tax and other fees aren't even included. We're nearly in 2014! I know when you buy Honda you buy a name but this is kind of ridiculous. Any input or tips someone can shoot my way?

@ohiogals said: Just got a pretty good deal at Performance Honda in Cincinnati Ohio (October) $17,000 + 283. (dealer and doc fees) - 1000 rebate if we finance = $16,283.

In ohio we pay 6.75 % sales tax in addition but that is not really part of the price as this is out of their control.

I did it all over the internet (with Jennifer Gladwell) and they had the car ready so we didn't have to wait around. Superior Honda in Cincinnati had about the same deal but we have worked with Performance before so went with them. Highly recommend them.

• Hey guys,

Dealer here in Southern California is trying to sell me an alarm for Civic EX for $700. What is the difference between the "Security System with Remote Entry" and an alarm. I looked up Honda.com and "Security System with Remote Entry" is standard on EX. The Security System and alarm is the same to me. Not what is the difference and if the dealer is pulling my chains. Any help is appreciated.