Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Hi Mario - welcome to Town Hall! The best place to ask this question is in the Civic Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion. Also, you might want to turn off the ALL CAPS as members tend to think you are yelling at them.

Enjoy!
  • bd21bd21 Posts: 437
    You are at the mercy of your negotiating skills, because they have the over a barrel with your leather requirement. If it was a regular LX you could take $500 off of invoice as a starting point. Good luck!
  • BD21, is that $500 off of invoice for the 2004? And what if we bought the leather after market, is that possible? And negotiate it separately?

Thanks....to anyone who can help give me a target price...
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    In terms of Corolla CE vs. Civic DX VP, I'd go with the Corolla, no question. The Corolla offers a significantly stronger engine AND THE SAME MPG, 15 inch tires, and front and rear stabilizer bars (the DX VP lacks a rear stabilizer bar, and therefore, gives up the handling edge that the Civic LX/EX has over the Corolla line). The Corolla CE also has a few extra smaller items, like a tachometer, rear cupholders, body color pull style door handles, and the availability of choosing from 9 colors, as opposed to 4. For what its worth, Toyota's powertrain warranty is also longer.

If you were talking Civic LX, it might be a different story. I think the Civic DX VP is still pretty basic, and imparts a cheap feeling. Have you driven both the Corolla CE and Civic DX VP?

Not to offend you- but I think $13,900 is a terrible price for a Civic DX VP. I posted yesterday the price I was quoted for an LX- I was also quoted a price for a DX VP (but my aunt chose against that model)... in Central Jersey, figure on $12,800. I dont know where you could be that would justify a price $1100 higher.

~alpha
    Honda is giving their dealers an additional holdback thru 1 Mar 04 of $400 to $1000 based on volume for 04 Civic. Find a high volume dealer, they are getting $500 or potentially up to $1000 to turn over Civics. Use that to your advantage. Retail for the leather option is $1200, so the cost is under a $1000 to the dealer. Try offering $600 under invoice after you have added the $1,200 for the leather for an 04 Civic. You should be able to come close. Follow the advice I gave on post 828 too. Also, call an upholstery shop and find out how much it will cost to recover the cloth seats in leather, if you are not getting side airbags. You need to do some research on your own to decide what is best for you. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    .....the Civic DX/VP is it's too option void even for me. I'm afraid the lowest trim level I'd be able to go with on the Civic would be the LX. I actually received some price quotes in the $12.8K range last fall on new '03's when some of the dealers were trying to make room for the '04's coming in. That was the best prices I've seen on the Civics as of yet.
  • sroccsrocc Posts: 1
    I just purchased the Civic VP sedan for $13,168 plus tax and tags. Morehead Honda of Newburgh NY was the dealership.
  • Thanks, one last question: These incentives are on the 2004, I assume, $600 under invoice. Should I try and get the 2003, is there that much difference in price? I couldn't find the current 2003 invoice price...Thanks again for your help...am looking this weekend.
  • BD21 and everyone: I got an offer for the LX 2004 coupe automatic WITH leather OUT THE DOOR for $16,700 from the fleet manager (it seems like there are no 2003 available). They are charging $900 for the leather and $300 incentive. Is this a good offer? I can probably take this out the door offer to another dealer. Any suggestions appreciated! P.S. they are also offering 2.9 financing for 60 months.
  • I believe the deal should be between $14,300 to $14,700. Your $16,700 minus $900 and $300 is 15,500. In this board, I would tell you to try to get a better deal. Low APR is everywhere right now, remember not to let them to charge any bank fee or ad fee, etc.
    Not really. Invoice on an 04 LX Civic coupe with automatic is $14,589 and destination is $490 and leather is $900 for a grand total of $15,979. Because there is anywhere from $400 to $1000 additional holdback incentive to dealers, you should easily be able to buy your car for under $16,000 including all dealer fees, excluding your state sales tax. Your target price should be $15,600 or less excluding state sales tax. Call another dealer and tell him you already have 15,900 out the door excluding sales tax, if they can beat that price, tell them you will buy the car from them. Use all dealers within 2 hours of you. Start at the one farthest away and work yourself back into town. Good luck!
  • Thank you for your help, I now have a better idea what to expect when negotiating. My last question: I was able to find a 2003 LX, is it worth it to buy the 2003? Should I take another 1,000 off your target prices if I go with the 2003. Oh, they said there is 1.9 percent on the 2003's....
  • I am looking at buying the following:

2004 Civic
    Value Package 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

MSRP (Edmunds & Carsdirect): $14,150
    Invoice (Edmunds & Carsdirect): $12,981
    Edmunds TMV: $13,267
    Carsdirect: $12,630
    These prices inc. destination fee ($490).

What should I be looking for as a reasonable price to pay based on this info?
  • Thank you for your help, I now have a better idea what to expect when negotiating. My last question: I was able to find a 2003 LX, is it worth it to buy the 2003? Should I take another 1,000 off your target prices if I go with the 2003. Oh, they said there is 1.9 percent on the 2003's....
    Mike I already told you Honda has 1.9% financing for 36 months on 04s too. The 04 has a totally different front end and rear tail lights, standard remote locks, larger wheels, better speakers and additional insolation in the floor for a quieter ride. It's your money, so you need to compare and make the call. Personally I like my 04 better, but if you can get the 03 for around $14,000 with leather excluding state tax, it may be worth considering, if you are going to keep the car for a long time. Remember the additional holdback and low APR end 1 Mar. If you wait much longer, you will be paying sticker or above. Good luck!
  • Thanks, BD21, you helped a lot, will be buying Monday! Will let you know what happens.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    Sorry, but you are giving out incorrect information.

It's 2.9 % financing up to 60 months on Civics.

There is currently 400.00 incentive money which belongs to the DEALER. That 400.00 may enable someone to get a better deal.

It has nothing to do with holdback either.
    Well IS I just bought a Civic and my Honda dealer confirmed what is listed on Edmunds dealer incentive page, which is what I have listed below. There is a $400 to $1000 dollar additional dealer incentive on all Civics through 1 Mar, plus they have 3.9% financing for 60 months or even less for 48 (2.9%) and 36 (1.9%) months. Call the incentive whatever you like, but it will help the customer get a better deal, because the dealer gets more money from Honda. I used the word holdback, because the dealer gets it, not the customer. I got my car for several hundred dollars below invoice with 1.9%APR 2 weeks ago.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    And I don't think it is, your information is wrong. they just changed the program a few days ago. They dropped the stepped rate program and went to a straight 2.9% rate regardless of term up to 60 months.

People here can get confused by well intentioned but incorrect information.

The factory to dealer incentive is currently 400.00 and not from 400 to 1000.00
    IS, you are killing me here! If it will make you feel better, you can call the six dealers in Alabama and Northern Florida that I personally dealt with to get my deal. They all verified exactly what I printed, and yes I specifically asked them about the incentive and APR. The $500 to $1000 will only make it to high volume dealers who make their targets. Some of dealers I dealt with expected to get it and some of them said they would only make the $400. I'll give you the dealers names and phone numbers if you would like to call them. I picked my car up on 28 of Feb. Now something may have just changed, but everything was supposed to be available as I stated until 1 Mar 04. As an Officer in the Air Force, it's amusing to be called a liar by a car salesman. Also, don't forget to contact Edmunds, since their available incentive page states exactly what I did and verifies the deal I actually got. I'm sure they will appreciate you telling them they are all wrong, as much as I do.