Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stardy1stardy1 Posts: 2
    Hi embeedee, did you get 16,700 from Criswell Honda, MD? They gave me a quote for $18,294 + $100 processing + T/T. Please advise how you get yours. Thanks!
  • civilguy9civilguy9 Posts: 1
    I have a quote for $20,500 OTD. Is that a good price? Or do you think I can do better? The location is Southern AZ.
  • embeedeeembeedee Posts: 5
    Hello, stardy1

Yes, I got $16,700 OTD along with 0.9% financing but that was on March 31. I recently inquired about the same car for my sister and was given a quote more than $2000 higher now.

Literally, I drove 4 hours to make the deal that night as the person with whom I was dealing told me that incentives were changing on April 1. I thought he might be bluffing, but he was not. With the quake and high demand, things have deteriorated rapidly for us buyers - not just from Honda but it seems from all of them - even Kia and Hyundai who were not directly affected by the quake.

Unfortunately, I now have to replace another car but will be limping along until the fall or later.
  • stardy1stardy1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response embeedee. Were you able to quote for $18,700 for your sister's car at Criswell? I'm trying to negotiate with different dealers in NJ and it seems impossible for them to get down to less than $19,000 at this point.
  • embeedeeembeedee Posts: 5
    stardy1,

The unofficial quote they gave me for a potential car for my sister was $17.2K before destination fees. I think destination fees are about $700 now, so that takes it to $17.9. With TTL, you are probably looking at a bit more than $19K at this point, probably similar to what you are being quoted.

I think Criswell was a high volume dealer that may have gotten more dealer cash than some other dealers and they were willing to pass that on. - that's purely speculation but it seemed to make sense to me. With everything going on now in Japan, they are probably no longer getting that dealer cash.

What is aggravating is that many other manufacturers, even those not directly impacted by the quake and tsunami, are falling in line and cranking up prices.
  • Hello,

I just had a few questions regarding your post. If they are still building 2011's, how do I search for a specific model? I want a manual transmission LX-S. So far, I have been searching on Cars.com and the manual LXS is very very limited (I got 6 cars total when I searched the whole database).

Second, are you saying that is is good to buy a 2011 LX during/after memorial day?
  • Hello,

WOW that's an amazing deal you got. I am in the same boat, and am looking for a 2011 LXS. There are two in the entire San Francisco Bay area that match by criteria (color, transmission). What do you recommend? Or, how did you approach the situation? The reason I am asking is because the LXS models themselves are limited. And where did you find this model? Lastly what was your total, OTD out of the door price with everything?

Thanks
  • iwemeadaiwemeada Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Is it a good deal, OTD $18500, it's less than 30000 mile, one owner. :surprise:

2010 Honda Civic LX Sedan 4dr - Automatic
  • wbr99wbr99 Posts: 51
    That price is too high for a car with that much milage. If the car was actually built in 2009, then we're talking about 30k miles for a less than two year old car. I wouldn't pay that much.

On the last day of April I paid, 16.8K OTD from Criswell Honda for a new '11 LX sedan. The starting price was 15.5k which was what Zag and Truecar quoted as the starting price. I don't think you should pay more than 12-13k for a car with that much mileage, but that's just me.
  • iwemeadaiwemeada Posts: 3
    12-13K? OTD price? i'm at WA. 9.5% tax rate.
    I found someone is selling a salvage titled car called $14.5K, i guess if it is not a salvage titled, he will sell it more, so you mean i can try to offer 12-13K for this better car, it is clean title.
    Thank you for the response. :blush:
  • photog4funphotog4fun Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Today I paid $18,800 for a 2012 auto 4d Civic Lx plus California tax. They gave me the best deal by $400 compared to other local dealers that quoted internet prices. Poway Honda near San Diego is a wonderful dealership to work with. This is the second new car that I have bought from their internet sales in the past 5 yrs. I feel that I got a fair deal on my 2007 CRV trade-in.
  • newcar45newcar45 Posts: 14
    edited May 2011
    LA Times article on what a bad time it is to buy a car right now.

Held off buying a new car for a few years. I'm currently driving a 2002 VW Jetta.

Shopped around for a bit and it was a toss-up between Ford and Honda. Visited two dealerships recently and I'm pretty set on getting 2011 Honda Civic Coupe. The salesman told me due to the earthquake/tsunami that supply had gone done considerably and that they could only take off a small amount of MSRP.

So....MSRP of a Honda Civic Coupe LX is $19k, at best they can lower it to $18.5k it seemed, and OTD of ???? $20-21k?

Anyone else getting the same response from Honda dealers in Socal?
  • sportflyer1sportflyer1 Posts: 13
    They treated me just like that at Moss Honda in Moreno Valley, saying you are lucky to be paying MSRP on a 2012 Civic LX auto, and your trade is worth only a few hundred bucks, KBB is only a guide he says. DHC Honda in Temecula was more reasonable close to KBB for the trade a couple Hundred of MSRP. Honda sales think it is the energy crisis of 1973 and that the Civic is the only game in town. That really soured me on Hondas and we own a Pilot EXL 4WD. Use to own a 1992 VW GTI 15 years ago and avoided VW's during the unreliable years which consumer reports says lasted up to 2006? I noticed that the newer VW's have much simpler drivetrains now especially the I-5 2.5L. Test drove a 2011 Golf 4 door and decided this would be our second car. I got it at $100 over invoice and 2.9% for 60 months, plus close to KBB for the trade. So we got a shark blue metallic Golf 4 door last week. The Honda Pilot is our last Honda, thanks to their salesmen.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,346
    Hopefully the salesperson wasn't rude to you but don't be down on him if he was simply explaining the current supply situation. I can assure you, the salespeople aren't happy either since they have little inventory.

And, KBB isn't gospel. It's true that it is a "guide". Some cars are worth less and some will bring more. You won't get more than a dealer can buy the same car for at a local auction.

There is also a possibility that your trade was a car they didn't want for a number of reasons.

Again, no excuse for a salesperson to be rude and no doubt the current market situations have been very frustrating for both sides!

Good luck with your VW. Hopefully they have a grip on their quality problems. I guess time will tell.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    Have you held off on a car purchase because you're waiting for a better deal? Or did you go ahead and buy because you assume car prices could just rise even further this summer? An Associated Press reporter would like to talk with you. Please send your contact information to Aaron Lewis at pr@edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The salesman at DHC Honda was actually quite nice and professional. The other one at the other dealer was the stereotype salesman. The new car playing field has been leveled with all these complex requirements NHTSA and the EPA has imposed on manufacturers. Quality between Japanese, U.S. and some European cars have narrowed with BMW and MBZ at the bottom. Even the civic is not immune with engine block problems etc. Now they have lockup torque converters on the lower gears, the honda pilot is known for weak auto trans, so I treat ours like a station wagon , not an SUV. Everybody I know are upset at Hondas marketing , and ended buying Ford , GM or other brands, and it will continue this way ,not a great way for market share.
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea how you figure the NHTSA and the EPA have anything to do with leveling a playing field but the competition certainly is intense and getting worse!

The engine block problems on Civics were VERY limited and Pilots are not known for weak transmissions. You are probably thinking of earlier Odysseys that had far greater transmission troubles than Honda had ever seen in the past. I wouldn't worry about your Pilot. Just maintain it!

"Everybody I know are upset at Hondas marketing"

Really? Everybody you know?

Why is that, seriously, I'm curious!
    My Pilot has been reliable and was built after 3-2004. So it did not participate in the recall involving the install of bypass lines to cool the tranny to prevent overheated and chipping gears. I don't tow anything with it to play it safe, the problem other owners had is that they think it is like Ford or GM SUV and tried to tow something heavy. Honda redesigned their Global truck platform trans. I think after 2006? to address the weak transmissions. I am happy with my Mercedes, Ford truck and new VW Golf.
    And happy too, of the Honda Pilot, competition just made me refuse to be a lay down. I actually happily paid $1,000 more on the VW Golf compared to civic. Also I noticed that I got upset at Hondas marketing just like other people I know, I didn't expect it to happen to me too, to answer your curiosity.
    But...why? What did Honda's marketing department do to anger you?

I don't understand.
  • chivasgeochivasgeo Posts: 1
    I'm up here in No.Cal and there is one Dealer in El Cerrito that will let a new 2012 Civic LX A/T (no extra warranties, no accessories, or packages) for $20,000 OTD. That is if he "can find" one w/out accessories...I'd say if there are accessories, take them off and sell it to me, LOL...

Most other dealer in the SF Bay Area will do MSRP $19405 plus tax and fees, others will go as low as $19,000 plus tax and fees.

We shall see if the dealer is for real soon enough :)