Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• turbodelsolb16turbodelsolb16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Del Sol si that the motor has been fully built and turbo'ed. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best place for me to try and sell my car. I am being moved for work and i need the money for a down payment on a house. By the way it has shaved door handles, full body kit, chrome 17's stage 3 clutch(4 puck) lots of mods. Any suggestions anyone could give me would be greatly spprciated. thank-you
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    This is from the other board, but then I get no response, so I am trying it here:
    Car_man posted there:
    I would be happy to estimate what your lease payment should be like on this car if you let me know what its full MSRP (including the destination charge) and selling price are.

---------- See, Car_man, but I did it backwards. I didn't first negotiate the selling price of the car (before turning to the leasing option), nor am I interested in it's price now.... My bottom line is my MONTHLY PAYMENT.

I simply turned to 3 local dealers (and 2 leasing companies), gave them the same info:

Civic LX AT
    36 month lease
    12K miles/year
    No money down (except first payment and license)
    My credit score is 780 (yes, it's very high)

---- And asked for a monthly payment, out the door.

The offers I got from 2 dealerships were both "in the low $300s". The best I got from the third dealership was $289, promising to get the car with the color I want "in a week or two". Not bad.

....Then, on Friday, one leasing company (recommended by a friend who's been leasing cars from them for years) offered the car for $249, but with a late January delivery (which is ok with me). They did not ask for any money down, nor any signed agreement on my part...

I think the latest offer is really a great offer, seems legit, and I am taking it.

...Do you think I wrong, Car_man?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Those mods will eliminate/scare away most buyers.

Still, there are people like yourself who will buy it. I would try one of the mags that show a photo of the car.

Be aware, a car like this will attract a lot of "non-buyers".
  • bamafamilybamafamily Member Posts: 12
    Galaxy Gray Civic EX
    Price - $18964.65
    doc fee - $349.50
    TTL - $499.35

OTD - $19813.50

According to Edmunds, it seems ok..
    thx
    bama
    $349 doc fee???

What's this thing with "doc fee"??? Any dealership can decide how much they charge for "doc fee"? One charges $50 te other charges $400?

Why, what prevents them from charging $1,000?

Isn't there a LIMITATION on this charge?
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    Here in central Florida the doc fee is like $500.

It was the same at every dealer that I spoke to in the area. And I spoke to about 5 - 6 different dealers.
  • warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    Galaxy Gray Civic EX
    Price - $18964.65
    doc fee - $349.50
    TTL - $499.35

OTD - $19813.50

According to Edmunds, it seems ok..
    thx
    bama

Bama, I think you got a similar deal to me for the most part (assuming you got the 5-speed automatic trans). I got the same car, and same COLOR. I got a little over $1,000 off MSRP. Mine broke down like this:

$18,950 (including the protection package - retail is $365)

$53.32 Doc fee

$497.25 Sales Tax

$15 County Tax

$80 License and Title Fee

$19,595 OTD price
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    A 400-500 dollar doc / dealer fee is pretty much standard here in central Florida. Sometimes they'll wave it on a slow selling vehicle, but usually not. Florida is the worst state I've seen for this.
    Well, Warner, who lives in (or around) Chicago has paid $53.32 Doc fee!

So did I, few months ago, buying my Accord. I paid $55.

That's $55 compared to $400 to 500...............?!?!?

$500 for DOCUMENTATION FEES?!
    Are dealers in Florida having a hard time typing up documents? Don't they use calculators to put numbers together? Are they Suffering from dyslexia?

Or they're just MILKING customers for more money...

...Makes you wondering...
    Wow...we charge 35.00 and nobody complains except for the real grinders. It's never waived. I pay it too.

This ***helps*** pay for some of the admin costs we have.

If someone is charging 500.00, it's mostly profit.
    " This ***helps*** pay for some of the admin costs we have. "

Oh, I just love the arguments the local salesmen here give that "it helps pay some of our admin costs, lights, etc". And I say "It's all additional revenue that goes to paying business related expense. Anything left over is profit."
  • keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    I have been told that the MAX doc fee you can spend is supposed to be regulated by the state. I was told to contact my DMV to find out what the Maximum amount is.

Toyota charged me 269. I just incorporated into my offer.
    So what is wrong about that? At least we clearly state what the 35.00 is for!

You are probably one of the few who would whine about it!
    I believe you misunderstood my post, so let me clarify. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for doc fees or any fee for that matter. In fact, that's how many businesses get additional revenue. Ever read your phone bill or sold something on Fee-bay?

It's just that I get a chuckle listening to some 2-bit salesman who clearly has never taken an accounting course tell me about expenses, revenue, and profit.

And before you fall off your chair, I don't feel you or any of the folks in the biz here are in the same boat as the 2-bit salesmen I mentioned.

Yes I am one of the MAJORITY that whine about being fee'ed to death, not just doc fees. I was talking about a $500 fee that doesn't show up until I see the contract and YOU'RE talking about a $35 doc fee that's disclosed up front.
    What's wrong, very wrong, is that one dealership charges $35 as Doc Fee, another charges $55 as Doc Fee, and then yet another has the guts to charge $500 and has the nerve to call it "Doc Fee"... AND YOU CAN'T NEGOTIATE IT.

And what's sickening is, if you happen to live in Florida (and several other states, I guess), you're screwed, because the dealers there have apparently formed a CARTEL and miracleously all are charging $400-$500 as Doc Fee... As if in Florida you need a PHD to type up a sales contract.

This is called MAFIA-STYLE CORRUPTION.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    1) Ask about document fees before negotiating price.

2) Consider any document fee part of the price of the car.

3) Adjust your offer accordingly.

Just because Florida dealers charge $500 for a document fee, and California dealers charge $55, doesn't mean that Florida buyers are paying more for their cars...

I"m also pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Mafia... If you don't like the price, just say no...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Unfortunately, all of these excessive fees, whatever they are called have to be considered as a part of the overall transaction and cost of buying the vehicles. One of the bad things about Florida is that the state has figured out also how to get a ? little ? extra in charges too. So it seems as though everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Everyone that is except the poor buyer who has to pay everybody involved. Oh yes, all the more reason for "buyer beware", or aware.
    What's wrong, very wrong, is that one dealership charges $35 as Doc Fee, another charges $55 as Doc Fee, and then yet another has the guts to charge $500 and has the nerve to call it "Doc Fee"... AND YOU CAN'T NEGOTIATE IT.

And what's sickening is, if you happen to live in Florida (and several other states, I guess), you're screwed, because the dealers there have apparently formed a CARTEL and miracleously all are charging $400-$500 as Doc Fee... As if in Florida you need a PHD to type up a sales contract.

This is called MAFIA-STYLE CORRUPTION.

Of course.....they have to use those hurricane-proof documents down there!

Warner
  • bamafamilybamafamily Member Posts: 12
    It all boils down to OTD price...
    If you and they agree on an OTD price, I really don't care how they arrive at it...Charge me $1000 for a DOC fee if you want...(but rest assured that I will be asking for an extra $850 off the price of the car.. ;)
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    That is correct....I live in Tampa and the dealer fees are real high....$399.00-$499.00 for the average car dealerships.
    Luxury dealerships charge $599.00 or more... figure the odds!
    Bottom line for us that live in Florida is.... just take that money figure out from the price of the car. It all works out in the end, if you know what you are doing!
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    They are really a "Southern" thing.
    I live in NY and bought a high end used car in FL that I found via the web. Since we don't have these $500.00 fees in NY, it was almost a deal killer. The dealer ended up lowering the price of the car by that amount, rather than just remove the doc. fee.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Folks:

It took 6 months of riding on a bus to and from from work, sometimes it took up to 2 hours (including the walking and the waiting time) before I took my Honda Civic 06 home. The saga of my buying experience is well recorded in these forums. And of course all of your help is appreciated.

I spend so much time in my car going to work and play and doing personal errands, that the car feels like a mistress to me. You guys would not take a mistress unless you fall in love, right? Remember how hard it is to solicit love? It is an emotional thing. Now I have a romance with the car.

I had an open mind when I started looking for a new car. Since my last car, the Saturn 92 SL died.(That car earned the highest recommendation by Consumer Report in its class that year. And I had to wait two months for it.) And my romance with her lasted 13 years. But I decided not to revive her because it would spoil my memory of her in the flower of her youth.

After that I looked at all the cars in the Dealer's Alley, one by one, in 10th Avenue in Manhattan, New York City.

I looked at cars that were high born and from aristocratic familes as well as farmers' daughters. The only dealer I did not go to was the Rolls Royce Dealer.(It is located on the Swanky East Side.)

The Honda 06 Civic was the only car that I fell in love with. Boy, the courtship was hard and long. But my baby is with me now.

When it comes to romance. An open mind helps, but one must follow his heart.

Thanks,

Manny
  • billyocean1billyocean1 Member Posts: 2
    What could i possibly gain from lying to someone on an Edmonds message board? Despite what people think all car salespeople are not scumbags. I sign on to do research to give my customers the most information possible when i sell them a car. Check the TMV of an 06 Civic with NAV you will see that is is MSRP
  • ledwardledward Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading this forum for while.. and finally I took the courage to deal with a dealer and buy a civic. So here is the deal I got:

Civic LX auto – Blue

16900.00 ( car + dealer fees + delivery)

tax was around 700.00

That’s all. And Thank you all for the info that help me to make my deal. By the way.. I’m very happy with the car
  • ledwardledward Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading this forum for while.. and finally I took the courage to deal with a dealer and buy a civic. So here is the deal I got:

Civic LX auto – Blue

16900.00 ( car + dealer fees + delivery)

tax was around 700.00

That’s all. And Thank you all for the info that help me to make my deal. By the way.. I’m very happy with the car
    " Bottom line for us that live in Florida is.... just take that money figure out from the price of the car. It all works out in the end, if you know what you are doing! "

Bingo!!! Just ask up front before the negotiations begin what the dealer or doc. fees are and adjust your offer accordingly.
    " Bottom line for us that live in Florida is.... just take that money figure out from the price of the car. It all works out in the end, if you know what you are doing! "

Not exactly the solution...

A. Car makers don't sell their cars cheaper to FL dealers, so if a certain car's real invoice is $xx,xxx, and if theoratically a consumer can negotiate the price to that price (the dealer makes no money on the car itself), he STILL ends up paying HUNDREDS of Dollars more in Florida...

B. the AVERAGE consumer is educated to accept Doc Fee as a non-negotiable, a given, just as taxes are a given and can not be negotiated.

So when the average consumer buys a car in FL, he has no reason to suspect that what's called Doc Fee is really nothing but another TRICK to make the dealer richer.

The bottom line is, CARS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE IN FLORIDA. And maybe other states too (South Carolina?)...
    In your theoretical example, you can bargain to $500 under invoice in Florida, because the dealer is going to add the $500 document fee...

Cars don't cost more in Florida... Or Texas, or California... or anywhere else...

The price of the car is the price you negotiate, including all fees... You can negotiate the same price in Florida, that you negotiate everywhere else.. including the fee...

There are plenty of posts here on Edmunds, from people in other states, that traveled to Florida to buy their cars, because they got better deals there..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well, if ALL AMERICANS had been visiting these forums on a regular basis, then yes, they would realize that EVERYTHING is negotiable.

But since MOST do not, and MOST regard Doc Fee as one more kind of regulated TAX, MOST buyers are not aware of the truth.

Besides, when the average American negotiates the price of a car, he DOES NOT negotiate any of the add-ons. Neither the tax, nor the destination charge... and not the Doc Fee.

So in reality, people are being screwed in Florida. If I pay $55 in Illinois, and for the same exact car you pay $500 in Florida -- you're screwed.

Why do people travel to Florida to buy cars? If that is true, then I have to admit -- I don't know. They certainly have no reason to, unless their dealers (in Alabama? Georgia? South Carolina?) are charging them $1,000 Doc Fee.

Maybe they should all travel to Chicago instead?
    Why do people travel to Florida to buy cars? If that is true, then I have to admit -- I don't know. They certainly have no reason to, unless their dealers (in Alabama? Georgia? South Carolina?) are charging them $1,000 Doc Fee.

Maybe they should all travel to Chicago instead?

And while they're here, they can hone up on their snow driving skills, right mamamia? :) I'm glad we missed most of it today!

Warner
    It is also very expensive...

So, while you think that the majority of Americans are, on average, uninformed and poor negotiators.. they remain blissfully happy (as do the dealers that take advantage of them).

For the rest of us.. We pay the price that we negotiate.. I've never been "screwed" on a car deal.. I've always paid exactly the price that I've agreed to.. High or low, it was my choice... No one else to blame.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So, while you think that the majority of Americans are, on average, uninformed and poor negotiators..

Well, you must agree that MOST Americans do not come here to discuss what they should be paying for their next car.

Most Americans are NOT aware that add-ons like Destination Charge and Doc Fee are NOT regulated and set in stone, like sales tax is. When the average American negotiates the price of a car (and MANY actually DO NOT do that), they take the add-ons as a given, like additional taxes.

I've never been "screwed" on a car deal.. I've always paid exactly the price that I've agreed to. ...And then a week later you meet a guy who bought the same exact car, at the same time, but from another dealer (or even worse, from the SAME dealer...), who paid $1,000 less... Does that make you a happy guy?

Negotiating a price of a car is one thing. Adding frivolous fees ($500 for typing up couple documents) as if they were "taxes" -- is another.
    Destination charges are what they are. We pay them and we pass them along.
    Destination charges are what they are. We pay them and we pass them along.

I believe they were talking about the excessive "doc" fees that people in Florida are being asked to pay.

Warner
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Since I live in Florida I know what I am talking about...
    The cost of these cars to all dealers are the same ...period! It doesn't matter if your in Florida or California.....some states regulate on how much doc fee can be charged....Florida is just not one of them.....I use to live in Chicago for 3 years and have bought multiple cars there as well as here....the solution is so simple.....do your homework....in the end it all works out....But I will tell you this.....if you visit the many different forums on this website, for all of the make and models, you will see people are flocking to Florida to buy cars....especially Luxury line cars.....if you don't believe me take at look at the Lexus and Acura forums....and if the people that are coming here to buy cars didn't think it was worth it....then why are they coming.....it's easy....PRICE! Many people are buying cars down here....buying a $49 dollar airline ticket on Southwest airlines.....and driving home in their new cars....there must be a reason for this? The two other parts of this country people flock to when buying a car is California and NJ.....why? Price....it's not rocket science....is it really worth the travel to save xxxx amount of dollars....and to some the answer is yes.....to prove my point....stroll over to the Lexus IS350 forum....someone who lives in Bellvue, Washington purchase a car from a Sarasota, FLorida dealer and is having it shipped to Washington....even with the additional shipping costs...he is still saving $1500 bucks! Is it worth it? It is to him....bottom line....different strokes for different folks!
  • vf154vf154 Member Posts: 12
    I have been watching these Honda forums for a while now and am now ready to deal on an LX 4dr AT in Sunnyvale CA. The lowest offer I have had so far is $17000, incl dest charge. I am currently waiting on Pricegrabber.com's New auto quotes online. Has anyone had any experience with them? They claim to get you lowest quotes from all dealers within a certain radius. I'll wait and see.
  • mynewcivic06mynewcivic06 Member Posts: 4
    Took About a month of internet searches and negotiating but was able to get my LX at 15,992! The sticker price was 17660 with destination charge included and invoice was around 16192. :P
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter from a large national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who just recently purchased a new vehicle in the past six months. If you have a story to share, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence, and the make/model(s) that you bought no later than December 22, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nkhan1nkhan1 Member Posts: 8
    What dealer did you buy this car from? I too am looking and am not getting anythign below 17000(including Destination) anywhere. Your help will be appreciated :blush:
  • nkhan1nkhan1 Member Posts: 8
    May we know what dealer you got this price from? Thanks!
  • chennwuchennwu Member Posts: 1
    I gave quote requests to a few dealers for DX 2dr/AT coupe. I got quotes for LX or EX back instead. I found it virtually non-existant in inventories and forums here. Is it very limited in production? I'm a relatively poor college student trying to save as much as possible on a new car. Any help or advice?
    Hmmmm, Classic Honda huh? They're in Orlando and you're in Ohio. I know Classic Honda and there's a nice fat $500 dealer fee added on.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm skeptical. No one is posting deals below invoice and you say you got yours for $200 below invoice? Was there a trade? Any other fees besides tax tag & title?
  • yoga_subyoga_sub Member Posts: 10
    The best quote i got was $16800 plus TTL. This car has a pro package (mud guards, cargo tray, door guards). No one else in the Dallas area could beat his price. DOC fee is $50.00. I agree with the idea that all dealers pay the same for the cars from Honda. It is just how much they want to make on it. The 2006 Civic being totally new and with all the accolades, dealers are asking close to MSRP and not willing to sell at invoice. I bet things will be different in 6 months.
    I find the KBB (New Car Blue Book Price) and Edmunds (TMV) prices are way off. I realize that many of us use these guides as a tool (myself included) in our negotiations but I think we should start below invoice and hopefully we end up paying a little above invoice.
    check out my post #2628
  • mynewcivic06mynewcivic06 Member Posts: 4
    Well considering I live in Ohio and the classic honda im talking about is ALSO in OHIO, I'll let you be skeptical...and I'll also let you e-mail me and I will forward ANYONE that wants to see the quote of 16392... Dealer fee is like 25$ NO trade in...OTD it was like 17300.
    Yeah...I bit my tongue too.

I mean, WHY? We can't keep these in stock!
  • christine7christine7 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased late November, atomic blue, dealer floor mats and wheel locks included. Purchase price $18900 out-the-door (before trade-in) in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

May have been able to do better if I waited but needed a safe, reliable car for my daily 50 mile round trip commute. My lowest quote before I took this one was about $20100 OTD with "dealer-installed options" like pinstriping that I did not want.

Very happy with it in the month that I've had it!
    I see there's also a Classic Honda in Streetsboro Ohio. Why mess with email, just post ALL the numbers from your purchase invoice here?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

That includes pasting in portions of emails that you have received which include the salespersons contact info (name, email, phone, etc.)