Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Just curious - what is it about this deal that allowed you to achieve about 2600 below invoice when most everybody else is getting around 13-1500 below? Please let the forum know how you were able to negotiate this. Also, clean deal or was a trade involved?

Bill G
    Pretty good deal - about 1300 below invoice when the 599 doc fee is factored in.

Enjoy your new Civic!

Bill G
  • Bought my last CIVIC in 1990 and need to get back into the market. Have enjoyed reading the posts and had a question, how does one get started in gathering quotes from a group search of dealerships?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    So, purchase price was really $17,100 to be honest here as that $599 was still part of the price even though they call it a different name. I hate these fees that's why we always do an OTD price and I let them fill in the numbers anyway they like as long as we have the same OTD. Had this issue back in '06 when I bought my Civic and I thought I got a super super deal when it turned out to be a just o k deal because they tried to confuse with these two figures and two different salesmen. Once i got them to stop the nonsense and be straight with me, I got the truth and though I did buy the car, I learned a valuable lesson and since then, if I feel ambushed or the slightest bit confused, I just get up and walk out. They have always come after me and given me what I wanted since I do not like to play games and always try to give an honest price where they make something and I feel like I got a good deal because the store has to make a certain profit to stay in business and I as the consumer need to know that I got a good deal on the vehicle. When both sides are happy is it a win/win for all.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• muki1muki1 Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    It was a clean deal. No trade, no down. Just signed the papers and walked away with 0.9% Honda Financing.

I tried to work with an honest dealer. Tried not to be picky about any particular color. Tried not to be rushed. I told my final price based on my shopping around and it took them about 2/3 weeks before then can find a car with that price.

Only met the salesman once during the signing. All the negotiation was done either by phone or email. Stay away from the dealership, they will confuse you with magics.

Also I don't pay much attention to the Invoice price. Legally they are not bound to share their business's bottom lines. They can try to convince you that what you are looking is an invoice price but unless you are an insider, you are being lied on.

Followed this forum and tried to find out what people are paying before Tax, Title, Registration and Dealers Fee and figured out the percentage amount discounted from MSRP.

If you can pay 80% of the MSRP as the base price (Including Destination Charge)and then add the Registration/Tax/Title/Dealer Fees then you would probably drive home happy.
  • Hey, I am from western oregon and am shopping for a 2013 Honda Civic LX Automatic Sedan. I requested quotes from 5 local dealers through edmunds and am disappointed after reading the prices in this forum.

The best quote I received is 17,899 including destination fees after $500 incentive cash. And this doesn't include dealer fees. I thought a TrueCar certificate might help but it says target price is $18,934. I feel like I don't have a good starting point to negotiate from. Any advice for starting negotiations?

Thanks
    Alex
    Well your patience paid off big time - that's one of the best, if not the best deal I've seen on a 2013 Civic. Thanks for sharing your technique - its sure to help us all out.

Congrats and enjoy your new Civic!

Bill
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    My thought is you will always get the best deal in person, not thru internet. Offer what you want to pay, if they say no, bump up a couple hundred or go to the next dealer.
  • muki1muki1 Posts: 5
    Take the MSRP from the window sticker including the Destination Charge and multiple it by 0.8.

Dont pay attention to dealer's addendum for the window sticker price. I seen some dealer would add some accessories and try to add a heavily marked up price for that right next to the window sticker. Find a car that has nothing installed from the dealer. If you would like to add any accessories then tell them after the negotiation is done. They typically have a 200% markup on those installation.

You will add Tax/Title/Registration/Dealers Fee on top of that.
  • charles_guycharles_guy Posts: 55
    edited October 2013
    My thought is you will always get the best deal in person, not thru internet. Offer what you want to pay, if they say no, bump up a couple hundred or go to the next dealer

big big agree. last two leases after all the research, thanks to youall here on edmunds and car_man and ridewithg and sum other sites, was onestop shopping
  • Just bought a new civic from McMinnvile Honda. The salesman was very reluctant to budge on the price but I was able to negotiate the value of our trade up a little. To us, the trade-in vehicle was absolutely worthless. He offered $400 but I talked him up to $750

Vehicle: $18399
    DMV fees: +348
    Flex Cash Incentive: -500
    Competitor Incentive: -500

Total Price: $17747
    After Trade OTD $16997
    Congrats on your new Civic - you guys are so lucky not to have sales tax!

Bill G
  • Moved from the Accord thread to the Civic since this one is at least 5k cheaper. I was offered $19,112 before TTL in SoCal. It will be way over $21k OTD. Is this a decent deal? I told the salesman that I'm not willing to pay over $20k and asked him to take depreciation value into consideration and offer me a better price. He said it's already below $1,500 and it's the best time to buy right now and that there won't be any discount on the 2014 until this time again next year and by then the 2015 will be available already (seems like he implied that I'll never be able to make a purchase if I keep thinking that way - which is somewhat true :( I don't intend to waste their time but they keep on checking back with me if I'm still interested even though I've given them my target price. What to do...
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Price difference between base Accord and Civic is about $3.5k.

Dealership feels your insecurity on whether to buy or not. They'll go down or they wouldn't keep calling. Tell them what you'll pay in a firm confident manner, if they can't give you that price, say you understand, and will search elsewhere. Don't worry about wasting their time. Your a serious buyer.
    2 - invoice on a 2013 Civic EX Sdn is about 20,150 so they are quoting you about 1000 under. Don't know what that 1500 in your post means. If you offer 18,600, which is 1500 below, you're at around 20,600 out the door. I'm not sure you can get to 20,000 - our sales tax is pretty steep. If you haven't already, touch base with Spreen Honda, Loma Linda Internet Dept - they usually have aggressive pricing. Watch for unwanted add ons though.

Bill G
  • That's why I wanted the salesman to lower his price of $19,112 but he's claiming it's a big discount of $1,500 (perhaps from MSRP?) I didn't mean $20k as in 20,000 flat but as in under 21k. I thought they'd be willing to sell since they have a lot of 2013 left but surprisingly no one's willing to go under $19k...whyyyyyyy?
    I think we talked about this before, but are you getting quotes from multiple dealers? There are a lot of Honda dealers in SoCal - you should be able to get this vehicle for around 1500 under invoice. Spreen and Cerritos are a couple that usually have aggressive pricing. Keep at it - you will get there.

Bill
  • Just received their quotes this morning. Honda Civic Sedan EX is $18,601 before TTL. I asked for OTD price but the salesman gave me the equation of "price quote + tax + license + registration (10%). Not sure how to calculate it correctly. Is tax before Doc and License fee or after?

Sale price = $18,601
    Doc = $80
    Lic = $273.75
    Total taxable: $18,954.75
    9% TAX = $1,706
    OTD = $20,660.75 ??

Need to confirm with you guys before I agree to drive all the way there to make the purchase. Thankss
  • Received an OTD price of $19,646 for the 2013 EX after $500 Flex and $500 Loyalty program. I was so happy that I booked an appointment to buy it tonight! Then an hour later, I received another call saying it's a price mistake. The final OTD would be $20,646 instead. I was disappointed that in the end he couldn't even offer $20,500 OTD like he promised. After that, I didn't want to leave work an hour early and jump over all these hurdles to make it in time before the manager leaves. I was told the offer is only good for tonight but it's such a short notice for me to get all the required documents. I canceled the appointment and now he said I could come any time tonight instead of 7:30pm. I feel cheated... Am I over thinking it? Should I try to negotiate? Should I just move on to the next dealership?
    Where does it stand now? If you are at 20,600 out the door, that's about 1500 below invoice selling price - not a bad deal. Where did they come up with those incentives? Did they explain how the mistake was made?