Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " What do you think. Good or Bad deal "

IMO no as you're paying $599 over MSRP including the dealer fee, but that's only me as the Si doesn't turn me on. The other figures you listed go to the state. Some will say that's an excellent price at this time since they're so hot with so many buyers.

The Si is one hot vehicle. And yours will be even hotter since it's black and in Miami. Good luck and let us know if you pull the trigger.
  • Options
    kisadc06kisadc06 Member Posts: 6
    Correct..... though dealer I just bought from said $250....

here's a super site for car buying tips!!... I found it after I bought but luckily I didn't find any mistakes I made

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    A fool (or sucker) is born every minute. Those who pay above sticker have more disposable income than intelligence. NO car is worth paying more than sticker price. And, I would certainly never patronize a dealer that plays that game.

This is, unfortunately, a somehwat "typical" problem with some Honda dealers. They've never experienced slow sales due to Honda's generally excellent products, so they choose to gouge inexperienced buyers. It's most unfortunate.
  • Options
    elpablo123elpablo123 Member Posts: 14
    >I have about 40 Pilots and Ody's total. I dont care if >someone drives those because I may have multiples of the >vehicle.

>I HAVE ONE SI AND EVERYONE WANTS IT!!

>Correction.....it just sold. I had two customers bidding >on it and it sold for 3995 above MSRP.

Please do not pay attention to this kind of messages. I bought an Acura TL on 2004 one month after the model became available. This is when this model was re-designed. It was an extremely hot car! (it still is). I went to a couple of dealers and they were telling the same stories. That buyers were bidding for the cars and they were being sold for 3000-4000 above MSRP. After visiting several dealers I ended up buying a TL for $1000 BELOW MSRP.

Don't let anybody treat you as a naive or fool.
  • Options
    ajcsajcs Member Posts: 2
    You are right.

I did not mention that the window sticker was $24,919 and fifteen minutes after I arrived to handle the check there were four people bidding on the Si.

Only time will tell.
  • Options
    " Honda has been briliant (or notorious) "

Well said.....
  • Options
    coolchidcoolchid Member Posts: 33
    I'm trying to locate an 06 Civic EX Sedan w/Auto & NaviLink in Atomic Blue. I've been told they are rarer than hen's teeth.
    Does anybody have any experience with finding this particular combination? Any tips? Pricing?
    Thanks very much.
    BTW - I'm in the Phoenix, AZ metro area.

Still searching for this rare beast, but think I MIGHT have located one in California.
    Does anybody have experience in buying a car from out of state that could give me some pointers, please? ie - who does the "dealer prep" if it is shipped in via car carrier? Or would I be better off to go to CA to get it? etc. What about taxes & registration if I am driving it back to AZ?? How will driving the first 400 miles @ constant speed will affect the "break-in process".
  • Options
    slinovaslinova Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I would first like to say thanks to all the posters that your comment helps a lot.

I just got my Civic SI :D , and if anyone cares, it's at MSRP. The purchasing proces went pretty smooth, I know sales will probably not going to lower the price under MSRP, so I tried started with MSRP and asking little stuff here and there. Only able to got some really cheap items, but that's what I expected for the SI. Tax is a killer, too bad we have to live with it.

Cheers
  • Options
    travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    I don't think anyone wants to be a "Ford Want-a-be."
  • Options
    Your civic will be dealer-prepped before they ship it. A 30-day tag will be on it when it arrives. Taxes will be paid when you go to buy plates. you'll have to check with your licensing bureau to find out how much.

If you find one be ready to pay no less than MSRP plus document fees. They are very rare. Have you found one yet? Have you found one yet?
  • Options
    I agree that you should be able to drive an unsold SI if you're over 21. I'd go with you, however, to be sure it's not just a joy ride. Most people who aren't serious will decline a test drive if they know you're going with them.

Even when Odysseys and Pilots were hot our dealer kept one in stock just for test drives. Also, an Odyssey or a Pilot customer isn't the joy ride type. Have you ever seen anyone doing spin outs in an Odyssey? There is a major difference.
  • Options
    coolchidcoolchid Member Posts: 33
    Well, I thought I had found one yesterday, but was just informed by the dealer that it was sold on the 18th. :cry: So the search continues . . .
  • Options
    fazkhan05fazkhan05 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new civic today, 4 Dr LX, no frills, royal blue. Thanks to the leads I got on this page I got myself a bunch of internet quotes and went to the dealership with those. Got the car for $16,746+tax/license/doc fees/etc (about 10%). It MSRPS for 17,860.

I had a great experience at this dealership (Power Honda), if anyone is in Costa Mesa/Orange Coutny/CA feel free to drop me an e-mail and I can give you the sales reps name if you want.

Thanks again for your advice:)
  • Options
    jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    Hi All: May I get some advice here? I am in need of reliable, safe transportation for a new driver who does not have enough experience to enjoy better cars yet. Here in FL, I see a basic new 2005 Civic with automatic transmission and AC...perfect for learning to drive and suits my needs well if I can get additional warranties. MSRP sticker is $15,175 from a Honda dealer. How would an experienced car buyer negotiate for this car as demand ought to be pretty low for it? Thanks, Jeff
  • Options
    It's not a bad deal for an SI, but what is a $599 dealer fee?

Never heard of it. You actually paid for all those "free" goodies in the dealer fee.
  • Options
    Over MSRP pricing isn't just a Honda thing. Years ago (in the 80's) the Corvette went for $10,000 over when first introduce with the Z package. The PT Cruiser and VW Bug also went for over sticker, and both still had a waiting list.

If a dealer didn't follow suite, other dealers would send hired buyers in to purchase them at sticker and still resell them for the $10,000 over. It was kind of a matter of defending your inventory.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    "but what is a $599 dealer fee? "

It's a made-up name for "additional dealer markup".

I had a salesman explain it to me thusly: "It's the price you pay for the privilege of buying a car at this dealership".

:mad:
  • Options
    dcreagerdcreager Member Posts: 2
    Just signed for my silver Civic last night!! I have to wait until the end of May for delivery though. Final out the door price was $20208.46. The break down was as follows
    $ 18,941 includes dest.
    $ 1,136.46 Tax
    $ 131.00 Fees
    :D
  • Options
    WOW...I sure wish I could get away with that. Most people would laugh in the face of any dealer trying that stuff.

It's simply a markup. If they charge that on every car deal I'm amazed they're in business.

It doesn't mean you got a bad deal. As rare as the SI is you did OK, but don't fall for that line next time....please.
  • Options
    Dealers don't make anyone do anything that customers won't do, people. If the car is so good, and so popular, that it cannot be produced in enough quantity to make huge numbers of cars sit around on dealers lots, then it's a sign that the price is right, or actually low!! Anytime value exceeds price, folks, the item is sold! Anytime price exceeds value, it sits!! Like GM, Ford Dodge, etc. Look at what rebates it takes to make those cars leave the lot. Never blame a guy for buying a Civic Si, when NOTHING in the price range runs as reliably, as fast, or resells for more. If no one wanted that car, it would be stacking up in great numbers at dealerships. And you people in the public sector vote on what's good/bad every day, when you buy something, not when you talk about it. Your purchase is recorded, and statistics are created, from facts, not fiction. Bottom line, HONDA rules!
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Yeah, I was rather shocked at his brazeness. There was some "issue" about the so-called "dealer fee" here in Florida, and IIRC, the botton line is that a dealer can chose to charge this so-called "fee", or not, but if they do so, they have to charge the same amount to everyone. I guess it's really a moot point, since you could just force them to take that amount off the number you would normally consider "fair", and let the add it back in the "fee".

And they wonder why car dealers have such bad reputations, in general. Sheesh.
  • Options
    lookhonda06lookhonda06 Member Posts: 1
    All,

I got a quote (via email) from a dealer for $16,976 + tax and licensing. He said everything is inclusive in the $16,976. Is this a good deal?

- I called couple of other dealers to see whether they will beat this price. Both dealers said they will match it.

One dealer offered to match the price and give additional 2 years of power train warranty? Is this a good thing?

the second dealer says he will match and include their complimentary VIP services(car wash and annual safety inspection).

Can I negotiate further or is this a good price? This is in the seattle area.

Thanks
    lookhonda06 :confuse:
  • Options
    hondachef2006hondachef2006 Member Posts: 15
    I got a quote from a dealer in the Metro Milwaukee Area for $17,425.00 (Including Dealer Service Fee of $119.00) plus tax , title and fees. for a 2006 Honda Civic EX 4-dr. Auto.

Should I buy it or wait for proices to fall even more?
  • Options
    I'm also in the Civic LX AT market in FL. Dealer invoice on this car with no additional options is $16,375 from a $17,860 MSRP. I've seen a couple postings of deals below invoice this month but I've not found them yet here. My feeling is, not knowing Seattle's market, that the dealers there should be able to get it to 16,500 - 16,600 for you minimum and possibly even better as the end of the month approaches. Just my opinion. Good luck!
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I bought an 05 manual trans Civic in March of last year for my 16yo son. The list was 14,800 and I paid 12,800 for it. That was during the 05 model year. He totaled it a week and a half ago one year to the day. Walked out without a scratch. Amazing car! Honda must surely be giving incentives to dealers who have left-over '05s.
  • Options
    I live in Tennessee. I bought an '06 Civic in Alabama last week. By choice, I picked up the car myself. Many states have reciprocal agreements with each other. In my case, Alabama only allows 2% tax to be charged on a vehicle that is going out of state. Tennessee then charged me the additional tax which is 7% in our state. They charged 5% for the difference. It really was simple. We drove the car its first 125 miles back. I never worry about the break-in other than not ramming the accelerator. You will be fine driving it yourself. If you feel better about it, vary the constant speed. It is a Honda and you are not going to hurt it. Let me know if I can help further.
  • Options
    Buy it now. Prices are not going to fall in the immediate. I was at a dealer today for an oil change. They are charging $1000 over and moving them before they arrive.
  • Options
    mrsmariahcmrsmariahc Member Posts: 7
    I'm picking mine up tonight. My out the door price is $19,548.70. Breakdown as shown on my bill of sale (faxed to me yesterday) is:

Price of Car: $18,851.00
    Processing Fee: $89.00
    Dealers Business license tax $18.37
    Purchaser's online systems filing fee(?) $10.00
    Title fee: $10.00
    License Fee:$2.00
    VA Sales Tax (3%) $568.20.

I checked the MSRP online of exact vehicle I am getting and it was $20,052.00 (not including tax, title, etc.) This includes wheel locks, splash guards and the trunk tray. I was not able to get the cost of those removed, but my man charged $180 for all three versus the $242 retail price. I've read several posts that say absolutely do not pay for these if they say they are already installed, etc. But in this case, I did not want to lose the car over this $180. It was hard for me to find this car in the color I wanted (black) and we ended up going to a friend who doesn't even sell Hondas to get this for me.

My husband went to school with this guy who manages the used cars department of Sadler Auto in Emporia, VA. He was telling him about us trying to get this car, yada yada and he said to give him a chance. I called him up, told him the exact car I wanted, how much I wanted for my trade and how much I wanted to finance and for how long (which was a little under my target figure). He worked it out for me in about a week. Sadler has a Honda dealer in South Hill, VA and he worked with them on trading out with another dealer.

I traded in a 2000 Expedition with 98K miles. He gave us $7000.00,which was $150 less than I asked for. Using KBB and Edmunds trade-in figures, that figure seems okay. Not too bad, but maybe could have gotten a tad bit more elsewhere. Of course I could be totally stupid and getting raked on that, too. When we were looking at Ford's they offered us $7250 and the other Honda dealer offered $6500.

So, my guy said he found the car and gave me the price. I got 5.75 % financing at my credit union, and did give him a chance to beat it, but they couldn't. I handled the whole thing over the phone and it went very smoothly for the most part.

The only thing that ticked me off was those 3 extra's I mentioned. My guy gave me a price of $18,671 at first, then when he found the car, said it already had the stuff on it. I told him I didn't want it on there and asked if they couldn't just remove them. He said basically, I had to take it like that or he could not get the car. But......I didn't get charged full MSRP for those items either. I am still at the target figure I was going for.

I feel like I did okay in this transaction. From reading the recent posts about the price and how fast the cars are going, I am happy. If I include the $200 increase that just took effect, my math says that I got about $1200.00 off of MSRP.

It's not as good as the quote I got from the dealer in Maryland, but I really did not want to have to drive that far only to find I was in for a bait & switch.

One thing I'm curious about, is the VA title/reg. charge is $49.50 and I don't see that on my invoice. The way it's broken down is confusing.
  • Options
    " Honda must surely be giving incentives to dealers who have left-over '05s. "

I doubt there are any left. I bought an 05 LX SE Auto last Sept and those were few and far between. Good luck though, and glad to hear your son made it through w/o a scratch.
  • Options
    markmaliepaardmarkmaliepaard Member Posts: 1
    Yes please send me the details.Did your LX have automatic transmission? Did they have it silver? Thanks!-mm
  • Options
    jbossmjpkjbossmjpk Member Posts: 2
    I got an "Invitation Sale Only" offer on a Honda Civic LX 4 DR 5AT for $16,691. I got this through an email from a local dealer..so don't know the full details. I believe the car is a Royal Blue. Is this a good deal? Can I bargain with the dealer to get a lower price? Or should I just take the deal?
  • Options
    njdevil1njdevil1 Member Posts: 45
    i think you are going to have trouble getting a left-over 05 civic. I am glad to hear your son is o.k. since your son is a fairly new driver wouldn't it be better to get him an older car. when my daughter first got her license she got a l992 mercury topaz. (1999)when she saved up enough money she bought a 2002 hyundai elantra. two years later she totaled it and walked away.she was driving to fast and failed to negotiate a turn hitting a big tree head on. I did co-sign the loan for her because she did not have enough credit. I did not have to co-sign the new loan because she was able to get a low rate on her own.
  • Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    You can find some great Certified 05's right now. Alot of people are trading out of them for 06's. May only save a few hundred bucks over new b/c of the warranty though.
  • Options
    njdevil1njdevil1 Member Posts: 45
    we already own a 2005 civic ex se, manual transmission, bought new 12/31/04, that has almost 27,000 miles. i personally like that car better than the 06 so no trade for me.
  • Options
    ttchaottchao Member Posts: 1
    $16976 for a 06 LX/AT 4 dr is not bad, but there's still room for some negotiation. I got mine last week for $16875, and look at post #3300 who got it for $16746. So I say you can potentially knock off another $200.

All the figures above include destination charge, before tax and license fee.
  • Options
    irislin23irislin23 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my Civic LX Sedan AT last week at Illinois.
    (16700+tax+license=18030)
    please ref Msg#3259

I think the out of door price is the most important.
    I have bad experience about lower car price.
    One dealer gave me a lower car price as 16400.
    But after he sum up all strange fee
    the total price is 18700.
    So I went to the previous dealer who gave me
    18030 OTD.

Good luck
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't think you understand.

Cars like Civic SI's are "stroke magnets". They attract joyriders who have no intension (or financial ability)to buy the car.

And these guys scare us. Even when we keep a tight leash on them they will often drive in a reckless manner.

And the people who buy these cars are usually VERY sensitive to the number of miles they have on them.

So, yeah, it's a business decision and sometimes we are wrong. It's not our intension to drive away business but we do have to protect our best interests too.
  • Options
    It's a decent deal, if you want to know how this number was calculated, let me know. Jeff
  • Options
    nannydnannyd Member Posts: 1
    We just brought home an Atomic Blue "Metallic" 2006 EX with AT, leather wrapped steering wheel (free bonus for buying our 3rd civic for 3rd daughter in 10 years)and Remote Start:
    $18,772 + $395 (remote start incl. install) + 8.6% tax+title/reg,etc= $20,917 OTD. Probably not the best price but we like to pay top dollar here in NY (LI to boot!)LOL
    We were hoping the price of the civic would go down and lo & behold, a $250 price increase this month!!
    Anyway, daughter LOVES the car and the NY license plates blend so nicely with the Atomic Blue!
  • Options
    Hi All: I'm in the market for a Civic LX AT here in north FL, I'm still negotiating and I've learned many things that I can share.

The new "hot" car is not the 2006 Civic, it's the 2007 Toyota Camry (thanks Toyota for bringing your car out early) and in 6 more months it'll be something else. Honda responded by making fewer Civics to keep demand high, don't fall for this half truth in your negotiating for a Civic LX, EX or DX. The hybrid and Si are the least discounted Civics not because of huge demand as the dealers are saying, it's because of the lower production by Honda limiting supply by design.

The March 15 price increase effects Civics made after March 15, not before. The floorplan price per car the dealer pays until sold is set at the price when the car was manufactured.

Since Honda dealers install options, negotiate the INSTALLED price of the option.

Good luck and let's all keep the information flowing here the last week of the month.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They ARE selling very well right now and are outstripping what they can build. Even more so in the models that are more specialized such as the MT/NAV, SI and Hybrids. They've sold almost 50,000 of them in the last couple of months so they have to be building something. They even outsold the Accord in January. It makes more sense that that the demand is outstripping the supply than to think that Honda is limiting production. If 30,000 a month is limiting production, that's quite a high limit.
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Demand really isn't outstripping supply. When a new model hits the market, the dealers have Zero inventory. They then try and build some inventory, so they have something to show people and to actually sell. And they do sell some as they build inventory.

That is basically the state of inventory we're in. But there are cars out there if you believe Autotrader and the dealer's inventory websites.

If the weather was better today, I was going to check out the Si the local dealer has.

Also, I was curious if anyone has tried to buy an Si thru Costco or Sam's Club.
  • Options
    Your advice is well taken. We had the same thoughts as to whether to buy him a new one or not. He is our only son and we could have been visiting the cemetery right now versus seeing him come through the door at home. We got him the new one for safety sake. It has the surrounding head airbags in addition to the other airbags that his other Civic had. My concern with an older car is whether or not the airbags have deteriorated, etc. When buying a used older car, you just don't know how it has been maintained. I looked at older Hondas and the resale is unbelievably high. It just makes sense to go safety and a new vehicle. Thanks for your observation and you may be right.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    But not any of the "special" ones that some people really want. You can get great deals on 4 door automatics. But the supply of 5 speed EX coupes is very tight. We've checked the entire Southeast region. And if you want a 5 speed NAV coupe or sedan you might as well be looking for a unicorn. I'm gonna wait til around Christmas before I start looking again.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Your information is SO wrong!

Honda got totally blindsided by the demand for the new Civics. They had no idea Motor Trend would vote the new Civics Car of the Year etc..

Why would a company want to limit sales by restricting production? Yeah, right!

And you are correct, the price increase applies to Civics made after March 15th. Pretty doubtful you will find too many unsold ones built befoe that date sitting around.

You're "still negotiating"? You may be for some time.
  • Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    The release of the 2007 Camry has NOTHING to do with the Honda Civic.

They are not in the same class.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Just curious. Does anybody know what the projected annual sales are for the 2006 Civic? What is Honda saying? How does this compare to 2005? Will they outsell the Accord?, the Corolla?
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I stopped by Clinton Honda the other day and there were about 20 Civics on the lot. Their website shows 28. This compares with about 4 two months ago. This must say something about demand right now. Not sure how they are with price.
  • Options
    Yes, the vast majority of cars built today are automatics; usually manuals are left to the sports cars.

So I can see where you'd have a hardtime getting a manual with the exception of those base-models whhich dealers use to promote "Civics starting from $11,999". Having a NAV system raises the price of a car substantially so it's not a good mix with the entry-level price.
  • Options
    isell: Why would a company want to limit sales by restricting production? Yeah, right!

me: They don't; but many car launches occur this way. There is a large surge of demand at the beginning, which coincides with not much having been built. Think PT CRuiser, Mustang, and Solstice to name a few. This similar phenomena occurs every few ears when a new Playstation or Xbox is launched.

The only "affordable" car that I know of which there is more demand than supply on a longterm basis (year after ear) is the Corvette. they have the 1 factory in Bowling Green and run that 100%, and that's it.