Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sircaralotsircaralot Member Posts: 10
    Please tell me what you think about this price.

$17,100 for a Honda Civic 2006 EX Coupe Automatic from a private seller no tax or anything. The car is own for 1 year, and it has 3,000 miles on it. Good or bad deal?
  • automationautomation Member Posts: 2
    Out the door (OTD) price means the total money out of your wallet right? So it's not really an OTD price if you exclude TT&L. I always make sure to ask for this quote so there are no surprises when it comes time to write that check.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Out-the-door to me means the check I write at the dealership, which in my area does not include TT&L (paid later to the county treasurer's office). I see no point in comparing pricing including TT&L on a web forum because TT&L varies so much by area and is beyond the control of the dealership.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    OTD means "out the door"...total for the car. That's what probaly 90% of people think of when the hear "OTD" on any purchase. And some folks like all the information and then they can use what part or parts they want.

The Sandman :)
  • patil1388patil1388 Member Posts: 6
    Bought the 2007 Honda Civic EX Auto w/o nagivation Atomic Blue color for $20000 OTD (inclusive of Invoice+accesories+TTL+all fees)in the DFW area. Accessories added were
    1) Mud guards
    2) Wheel locks
    3)Cargo tray
    4)Pin Strip
    5)Tinted Window
    6)Door Mouldings
    7)Paint Protection with 5 year warranty
    Here is the price breakup :

Invoice plus acessories = $18613.25
    Sales Tax = $1163.33
    license,document and other fees = $223.42
    Total = $20000 OTD

I went the internet route and emailed all the Honda dealers in the DFW area. Most of the dealers returned with Invoice prices but i emailed them back and asked OTD prices becos even if they give u a good invoice price, when u go to the dealership they will slap u with a number of fictitious
    fees. Best thing is to ask for the OTD price.Even when u bargain at the dealership bargain with the OTD price.
    Received some good OTD prices from some dealership and
    then i went to dealership with lowest OTD price and bargained further to get the price of $20000.

Also got GAP insurance from the dealer for $236 + tax
    and got the Honda Care extended warranty for 6 yrs or 80000 miles warranty for $800.

Think i got a good deal and the EX is awesome with electronic odometer and moonroof and mp3 and 6 cd player. Test drove the LX auto also but had lot of road noise. EX is much quiter then the LX.

Sales person and finance manager and everybody at the dealership were polite and helpful. Great customer service.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Giving information about an "OTD" price that includes TT&L is just fine IF you break out the irrelevant TT&L information separately so everyone can compare apples to apples on the part of the deal that can actually be negotiated.
  • sircaralotsircaralot Member Posts: 10
    Is this a coupe or sedan? What is the price of the car without the additional accessories? The price of the car + destination charge. thanks
    It is a 4dr Sedan. At the dealership i bargained with the accessories. I knew that invoice price at Kbb was $18549.

i checked the Buyers order which has
    Price of car and accessories = $18613.25

basically they have not given me a clear invoice price on the buyers order and i never asked for it bcos i always had the kbb invoice price in my mind ($18549)and i had already calculated the TTL which in Texas would be around $1300 so when they finally offered me $20000 OTD i grabbed it.
  • ct07ct07 Member Posts: 5
    Why is everyone talking about total price? I always negotiate the monthly price. Are you guys talking about financing only? If so then thats ok.

I just signed a 36 mth lease for $239, $2000 at signing. 12k miles. LX Sedan. Is that a good deal???

I was paying $153/mth for my new 2003 Civic. Big difference now.
  • sthavornsthavorn Member Posts: 31
    Where did you buy your Civic EX Auto w/o Nav?
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    First these boards are helpful, thanks, but some things or deals just can not be pried loose!
    My Honda Dealership is very professional, enjoy all the salesman, no pressure, no bad mouthing other car makers, I indicated I was looking at Scion TC and they had no negative comments, actually no comment. All the salesman help each other and one has the sense they are a working team when your salesman is gone. The atmosphere is very welcoming so I felt comfortable stopping by and test driving the two models I was interested several times.

So here is my break out of otd price.

Selling price 18,100.00
    Document fee 100.00
    Tax 1092.00
    Title 28.00
    Lean fee VT 7.00

Total 19387.00

4.9% for 60 months with 3500.00 down Payment $299.00 a month

I have done the math many ways. Would have tried to get them down to 17720.00, but if they will not budge on doc fee, well!

I love the car, I'm 42 and have driven many cars & Trucks. I own a 2006 GTO and have the pleasure of owning the Honda Ridgeline. Quality! Quality! you get what you pay for folks and I'm pretty happy with the EX civic. I test drove the scion tc after the Honda and it was a no brainer the second I sat in the TC Scion that I was going with the Honda.
    Hope this helps!
  • outbackvandyoutbackvandy Member Posts: 8
    Hey, guys, I got a price quote for 2007 Honda Civic LX Sedan AT price quote in royal blue pearl color. What do you guys think? good deal or not?

Selling Price: $16,855.67
    Customer Service Fee: $289.50
    Business Tax: $51.44
    License, Title, Recording: $70.00
    State Tax: $1203.76
    Local Tax: $84.00
    Total: $18,554.37
    I always buy our cars outright and never have ever thought about a lease. Guess it just wouldn't work for our lifestyle. We prefer to pay everything off and be done with it. My salesman really tried to get me to finance my '06 LX. He made some convincing arguements but he wanted $ down and I wouldn't budge on that point.
    I guess more people lease than I thought.

wow. what state are you in?
    I got the price in this post from a dealer in Clarksville, TN
    outbackvandy, "Honda Civic: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #4966, 15 Mar 2007 3:06 pm

Is this a good price?
    I got an offer in DFW for $17800 OTD for 2007 Honda Civic LX Sedan AT. When i went to dealer he told me he didnt have any other color except white. I wanted a blue color and he said the next blue civic was coming in April. I couldnt wait that long. Bought an EX instead(my wife liked the EX). I also got $18200 OTD quotes for the LX from a couple of other dealers. Hope that helps.
    wow, you got a great deal.
    Do you know how much is the invoice price for that quote? How much is the car price (without TTL) below the invoice?
    Thanks
  • nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering what dealership you went through for your honda? We're located in southern VT, and haven't heard good/bad/ otherwise in regards to any particular dealership around here! Would you mind posting it?
    Thanks!
  • ct07ct07 Member Posts: 5
    What a moronic board! You people are asking questions to every post meanwhile I told you I got a $229/mth lease. I guess nobody wants to know.

See ya.
  • rikrakrikrak Member Posts: 31
    :confuse: Well no reason to be nasty. It's true alot of people here don't seem to read anything past the first page they light up. How many times can you explain "Invoice" price. I feel the whole OTD price is silly and skews results, as the only consistent thing in sales is the cost of the car and dealer fees, however, seems it's popular to some. To your post, some of us feel what one pays monthly means very little. That is how sales people get you. "I can get you a car for $99 a month" might make a huge difference to you if you have only an extra $100 a month but if the car cost $15,000 well that's what it costs, this is really NOT the place where people come to hear about a Lease, if that's your choice, fine. I know lots of people who lease because for all intent they can get more car then they could afford. I have tended to keep my cars for a long time and a great lease means nothing to me. There ARE times when a Lease could make more sense but not always, for everyone it depends on the situation. Hey I got a shiny new LX Coupe and MY payments are $141 a month for 48 months!!! :shades: (I'm not mentioning I had like $9,000 cash ;) ). It would be nice, I'm sure some people do read back through comments, however, when I came to this site a few months back to look up what other's were paying it seemed like a brag fest with the dealers just paying you to take the cars. Look they sell lots of Hondas, deals can be made but it's a good car and people really do pay for them, if dealers don't make money they are gone. Congradulation on your lease, however, this is a forum on how to BUY a Civic :shades: (from what I read here) forum members have gotten the best deals in the whole world, well not me I was lucky to only score about $600 under the national average according to Edmunds and Kelly's would have been WAY up there though because in Missouri OTD price does not include TTL that is paid at a "State" office. :sick:
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    ..."got a $229/mth lease"...

..."To your post, some of us feel what one pays monthly means very little."...

I would feel the same way about leasing. It is much worse if not for business. :) There are also pretty stiff penalties, if one happens to go over the allotted mileage.
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    rickrak--

Great points. There are far too many folks who drop in for a second or two and hope to get the same deal as someone else "claimed" they got across country, at a different time of month and who failed to state that the deal hinged on a low offer for a trade-in. Leases are even more opaque, hence the large number of questions on that forum.

Others suffer from post-sale regret because some yahoo claimed they paid "X" amount less or stated that the buyer was fleeced instead of enjoying their car. It seems that almost no one considers "VALUE", which, obviously, varies from one individual to the next. Gee, if I'm only looking at cost why not buy a US manufactured car with $3500 off and a 0.9% interest rate? Could it be that I don't perceive that car as a value? But then, that's just me.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on an SI Sedan or EX w/5 speed to replace my current 94 Civic (bought new in 94). My Civic has provided tremendous value since I haven't had to pay on it in almost 9 years except for a few minor parts. Instead of trading in every 36 months and having no down payment the intelligent folks on this board should consider putting 50% or more down, getting a short-term loan (2-3 years), and hanging onto the car for 7-8 years. Using that formula no one will have to cry over the fact that they paid $500 or $1000 more than some other forum member --especially with the strong reliability and excellent resale of the Civic. Plus, in my region there is 2.9% financing available on new civics until the end of March. I wonder how many of the buyers proclaiming their great deal put zero money down and have 9%, 10% or 12% loans for 60/72/84 months?

What is useful on this board is:

Region/State/Dealer_____________
    Price of car including destination ($595)_________
    Fees________
    Dealer installed or customer requested options (i.e. mud flaps, etc)____

Total cost of above__________

Taxes and tag (if listed at all) should be a separate line. Here in OK they are paid at the tag agency and tax is 3% of sale price, not MSRP. Tag is also based on purchase price. Any trade-in makes all the above figures nebulous and, in my opinion, pretty useless, especially since so many buyers now carry negative equity into their new car deals.

Gogiboy
    Excellent point. As you suggested, I'll be the one to follow your formula to post the total price I paid for the car this morning. Thanks for all the others who posted your deal, I was able to get the car at invoice price

Car Purchased:2007 HONDA CIVIC LX SEDAN (color: Atomic Blue)

Region/State/Dealer_____________________________ Clarksville/TN/Jenkins&Wynne
    Price of car including destination ($595)___________$16944.47 + $50(ad fee)
    Fees________ ____________________________________$ 0.00
    Dealer installed or customer requested options___ Free mud guard installed (asked for $106, the sales person got rid of it after bargainning)

Business/State/Local/Title________________________$ 1370.98
    Total cost of above___________________________$18365.45

Other surcharges:
    Gap Insurance____________________________________$ 600.00
    Finance Rate______________________________________$ 2.9% for 36months

I will repay the loan quickly using 0% balance transfer and using the high interest saving account (5.05%APY right now) to pay that credit card monthly. So the gap insurance will be gone in a month and I will receive the refund for most of the $600.

My current GEICO insurance charges $720 for 6 months and deductible is $1000.

Again, thanks for everyone for your wonderful posts and suggestions. If I got a good deal, hope it helps others. If not, please also let me know so that I could learn from my mistakes and do better on my next purchase. If you want to know more about my transaction, feel free to email me at vandyjay AT gmail DOT com. Thanks.
  • tellohtelloh Member Posts: 4
    Hi outback, I'm a Vanderbilt alum too.

Was gap insurance required for some reason? With a 36 month loan you will quickly be in the black, so I don't think it's necessary.

That's a good price for an LX, though.
    I'm working with Automaster South Burlington, but I know Shearer Honda in Rutland had the car I wanted too, thier price was 180.00 cheaper when all the tax title & registration was added up. That just wasn't enough for me to get off my loyalty to our Honda dealership and our regular salesman just 5 mins away.It didn't do anything to my payment. I will warn all who read this get the break out on paper, have them email or fax the math break out and what charge is what and then you add up thier numbers. You would not believe how many times I have caught bad math during a car transaction,wheather intentional or not, check it!Do yourself a favor and get qoutes from all dealers before talking to anyone, I told all three dealers on the request free qouate app not to call and no one did they just submitted thier numbers. Take out intereacting with them as much as possible. You can buy the car over the phone and fax.

So here we are again snowbound in VT in March huh?
    ok ct07
    didn't reply cause lease and what you obtained doesn't apply to my needs, but hey you did good, nice payment, wish I could lease, but I run my vehicles to the point they gather high miles fast.

So what was your break out and were are you from? Anyone in VT or small northern state, we have few dealerships. Less competition! frustrating not exactly willing to nagotiate!
    NR37 hey I would wait, well if you could not sure what combo you are looking for, but the Shearer Dealership were decent folks, I said near the end of March (when 4.9% ends) call me if you can let the Honda go for 17600. Anyway try to wait til the end of march. I must agree what was said here that some of these deals people brag about are false. Try hard to get what you can, no shame in that and just go for it cause when the math is all done what really is 25.00 bucks? I service my vehicle at automaster and they are a pleasure, I would never buy a scion or toyota from local dealership, because they screw people and I have been through thier bad qoutes and math already with a FJ Cruiser. I had thought I sealed a deal and went in the next day to finalize the paperwork and they baited & switched, and anticipated I would just go along with it :( , well I told them to f :mad: the fj and good bye! that stuff happens, plus they screwed my sister- inlaw too. :mad:
    good luck!
    Hey, Telloh. Go Dores!
    Gap insurance is not required and it states that in the contract. I just want to get the car back to Nashville first with all guarantee and I can cancel the GAP insurance as soon as all the balance is transfered to a 0% APR credit card.
    You are right. I probably don't need it. :)
    I try to get them lower price more and it's a no-go.

The comment below mentioned your final price is lower than I got, that's definitely possible. TN's state tax is 7%. If your STATE tax is 6%, that will lower the price by $170. So math wise, it's definitely correct.
    i always asked for quotes with otd prices. so i dont know what was the exact invoice price was. But if just minus the approximate TTL which is about $1200 - $1300 for the LX in Texas then the invoice price would be $16700. That was a very good price but they didnt have the color i wanted and my wife liked the EX so i bought an EX with add ons for $20000 OTD.
    Hope this helps.
  • 989er989er Member Posts: 2
    2007 Honda Civic LX Auto 4dr.

car price: $17091.13
    sales tax: $1546.19
    dealer documentation fee: $35
    title and licensing: $214
    -----------------------------
    total= $18886 OTD

dealer advertised civics and accord @ invoice weekend sale via email. quoted price of $18735 OTD by internet sales dept. before I went. got there and they said I had to pay $160 more for the dealer installed mudguards. but other than that, nothing was hidden.
  • mlm1mlm1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, who is the dealer in Seattle? Thanks
  • loki74loki74 Member Posts: 28
    Hi -

I've seen a couple references to the Civic financing deal in recent posts. At least one post said it ended at the end of March. Edmunds and MSN seem to indicate it ends at the end of APRIL for my area. Does anyone know which is correct? I live in the Baltimore, MD area, and I'm looking to take advantage of the good APR, since loan prices are jumping UP.

Also, any other advice for someone in my area? I'm going to get an LX Manual, no add-ons, not too picky about the color (just not the tan or light blue:).

THANKS

Loki
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    loki--

You can go to www.automobiles.honda.com and click on "current offers". They list all the national offers, but also have a box where you can enter your local zip code to get "regional offers". My region (OK) only listed the low financing through March, but I haven't checked recently. It wouldn't surprise me if the offers ended soon since spring/summer tends to bring out all the hibernating buyers. I would trust Honda over third party websites although Edmunds is usually pretty good with up-to-the-minute information.

Gogiboy
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Stay out of these boards.

Peiople come here AFTER they have bought. They state the price they paid and ALWAYS, someone will come along and tell them how they paid too much!

I will never understand this.

Then there are the "prices paid" that never happened. I think some of this is just one-upmanship or else they really don't know what they paid in the end.

Then there are the psople who are scared to death that just maybe, somehow, somewhere, someone else just MIGHT have paid a few dollars laess than they did.

Life is short folks, enjoy!

BTW sales tax in the Seattle area is a whopping 9.1% on all cars. New or used. They keep reminding us how we have no state income tax but we are taxed to death on everything else. no free lunch!
    The time to come to this forum is before one purchases to get information about how to proceed with their pricing strategy, not after. And most folks seem to forget a key variable in the car buying process...the value. Everyone has a different value quotent I suppose. Some people value their time and don't want to spend weeks of e-mail, faxes & phone calls to get their best price. Others truly enjoy the quest and love it. Still others have a target price in mind and if they get to that point, no matter how much lower they could go, find their value then.
    I love cars but don't love the negotiation part. Edmunds has helped to make me a better and more informed car negotiator, but I'm no shark in these things as many are. Did I pay more than others on this board...yes. But at the time I purchased, I had hit my target price and felt I got good value for the price I paid. Also, I bought towards the end of the model year which didn't have deals as good as now. But timing is everything in life and am happy with my Civic. i got the value that I had hoped and enjoy the car more day after day. End of story.

• tellohtelloh Member Posts: 4
    I agree, sandman. Time absolutely has a value and some people love bargaining, which *gives* them value. The concept of a "good deal" is nebulous, and certainly can't be reduced to a number.

Like you, I'm happy with my Civic. It is the best car I've ever owned.
  • 989er989er Member Posts: 2
    mlm1: renton
  • brw115brw115 Member Posts: 13
    For Charlotte-Hickory NC Area. Just had a delightful buying experience at Hickory Honda dealership located about 45 miles outside of Charlotte- got 2007 4 dr A/T EX Sedan, Atomic Blue for $19,600 out the door- with all fees, taxes, etc. included. This included mud guards, pinstripes and wheel locks. Very easy dealership to deal with.
  • hondafan11hondafan11 Member Posts: 1
    We got the following deal yesterday at Sloan Honda in Philadelphia:

$17,001.00 LX Sedan with Automatic (incl.destination)
    +$1,020.06 6% sales tax
    + $178.94 Tag/Doc fees
    ----------
    $18,200.00 Out-the-door

The invoice on the car works out to:
    $16,944.00
    +$1,016.64 6% tax
    + $178.94 Tags & Doc fees
    ---------
    $18,139.58

I think this is a reasonable deal especially given the fact that we spent all of 20 mins "negotiating", an activity I am not a big fan of.

Hope this helps others.
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    Hello all:

My last purchase was a 2000 Mazda MPV. At that time, what I did after deciding on the vehicle was email every Mazda sales manager within 100 miles stating what I was looking for. I eventually made a deal with a Mazda dealer about 80 miles away. The manager sent me a faxed offer with everything included. I accepted and arranged an appointment to pick it up. I arrived with a certified check for the exact amount quoted and drove away with a new vehicle. Everything worked smoothly and I avoided all the interaction with sales people.

Do you posters think I can do the same thing with Honda? I'm looking for a Civic EX. I would prefer to buy locally, and if the local dealer is within a couple hundred dollars that's what I'll do. But I've never bought from a local dealer because the out of towners always offer a much lower price.

Anything wrong with this strategy?

Thanks.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I don't see why not. But I am a bit old fashioned; I like to buy locally, in other words give locally a shot, first or last. For any number of cars, I was able to buy locally at the best prices, after doing the homework and the factors actually worked in favor of local.
  • oxman2oxman2 Member Posts: 3
    I browsed the forum and took advice as offered.
    I appreciate input from the group members - it helped a lot!

Our Negotiating Results of about 1/2 hour:

2007 Civic LX Auto 4 Door - Royal Blue/Gray Interior
    Fresh on the Lot - been there a day or two.

Edmunds TMV: 18,112 :surprise:

Invoice w/ Dest Charge: 16,291 + 595 = 16,856
    MSRP w/ Dest Charge: 17,760 + 595 = 18,355 :P

Our Offer: 17,250.
    Their Offer: 17,500.
    Add on: Rear Wing Spoiler, DLR installed for 654.
    Selling Price: 18,154
    Deduct 1000 for trade in.
    Add 190 for dealer admin fee.
    KS sales tax: 7.525% = 1305
    Total amount due: 18,649

Transferred over old tags. Will need to pay registration separately.

We had bought an 06 Odyssey, EX - Leather, with the same dealer and salesman with an offer below MSPR, below Edmunds TMV and they accepted.

Really like the dealership. Good people, not a hard sale - but you have to offer low.

How many people are buying at MSRP???

Great Forum. Hope my numbers help some folks out.

I love the new Civic body style. With the wing - it looks even more like a BMW 325. Way to go HONDA!
  • brw115brw115 Member Posts: 13
    My strategy exactly- and it worked well. I went from being offered $20,600 as the best deal on an EX to $19,600 after shopping six dealers. It takes a few hours of time but it's worth it. What region are you in?
  • chrisp81chrisp81 Member Posts: 19
    I agree. People get so hung up on buying a price, that it takes away from the customer service aspect of our industry.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Well... this is the Prices Paid forum..

What were you expecting? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chrisp81chrisp81 Member Posts: 19
    lol! where is the great customer service forum.... I'm lost! ;)
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    I'm out here in Iowa. Land of ethanol plants and biodiesel. They say that's the future, but I need a new car now.
    Talking about your industry's service... I don't see a direct relationship between lower price and lower customer service.

The fact of the matter is that your industry marks up car price so much and deliberately make the car buying process difficult for everyday buyer to decipher. The customer service and consumer experience for this process won't satisfy anyone. Due to lack of a transparent car buying process, the price is the only thing that's worth to look at. Thank God for the Internet!
    My Region - Midwest, Overland Park, KS.

I decided not to shop the other 3 dealers who would price over email. I had considered it, but thought - if I went back to the same salesman will they "pay" me back for the repeat business? If internet sales is only going to re quote MSRP - what's the point?

Based on responses in the forum, it does sound like some internet sales does get positive results.

I have not bought many cars, but consider Honda a fair dealer. Other "American" dealers have tactics which drive me crazy. I loved reading through the undercover salesman blog on Edmunds. In the end I want to feel like I'm not being taken for a ride. I want a good deal. Now I know MSRP is a bunch of hooey and will always undershoot the price.

Obviously most people fear the negotiations. With these forums people can at least know what the dealer/salesman is willing to take.

I don't get to haggle many other prices. A load of bread costs me what they sell it for. I don't get to barter for that. Though, the price of vegetables is about double here right now - guess what - we don't buy the high priced food either. :)
    Second day in the Civic and it's a blast!
    I could see a payback in customer service through the maintenance and repair shop process.

If I bought a car at a dealer and continue to take it there for service, will I get a discount on the repeat business for the service?

If I didn't buy the car from the dealer, but rather the dealer a few blocks away - will they still give me the same quality of service if I had bought from the dealer?

Give me a break on the scheduled service price - being a repeat and loyal customer - and then I'll feel like I'm getting served.