Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Future Models

Anyone know if we get the 3 door or 5 door Civic hatchbacks in USA?

Honda of USA does not have email.

CX

Comments

• oops13oops13 Posts: 16
    I belive it is in 2002 the 3 dr hatchback will be back, but only in the SI model. The new CAR & DRIVER has an article on it.
  • Thanks oops13!

Based on the three-door Civic Type R body style shown at the 2001 Geneva Motor Show, the Civic Si Hatchback will arrive in U.S. showrooms early next year. It will be the only three-door Civic sold in this country.

A new 160-horsepower, 2.0-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine, called the i-VTEC, produces 130 pounds-feet of torque.

A close-ratio five-speed-manual transmission has the shifter mounted high, rally style, on the center of the dash. Elliott said the Si will have a 0-to-60-mph time in the mid-7-second range and will be more driver friendly at the same time.

Three-door Civic models all will be built at the Honda of UK plant in Swindon, England

I'm buying it! damn, it looks like my '92.

CX
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Hi Everyone- Want to discuss the new 2002 Honda Civic Si? Please join us in our new Hatchbacks Message Board discussion: Honda Civic Si (2002).

image Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Board

• Scheduled to go on-sale November 15.

new 2.4-liter, 16-valve, dual overhead cam 4-cylinder i-VTEC engine to produce 160-horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque.

estimated 22/26 mph city/hwy.

http://www.hondabeat.com/news/crv02.cfm
  • ingo2ingo2 Posts: 1
    Anyone know when the Honda Civic Hybrid (50 mpg...) will hit dealerships?
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    I believe it will be at the dealerships in April or May
  • YUP THERE HERE..........LOL OLD POSTS
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    Apparently Honda is mulling over creating a youth brand a la Scion. What they really need is new product. They need an entry level model to slot in below the Civic and compete with Scion (US) and the Echo hatchback (Canada) as well as the various Hyundais/Kias etc. The Jazz/Fit (please call it the Jazz here) would do incredibly well. Don't even think about bringing over the sedan(City?) version......the 5 door hatch is all we need. Next up, augment the Civic line with the 5 door hatch in Si(SiR) trim with some decent wheels/rubber (16" min) and price it to compete with the P5, Matrix, Vibe etc. Replace the slow selling 3 door Si(SiR) with the Civic Type R (200 hp, 17" wheels 'n tires).....the one you should have brought us in the first place. Next up, a sport crossover van/wagon to slot in between the Civic 5 door hatch and the Odyssey mini(maxi)van.
    A redesigned Stream (whatever happened to the Latitude) which reportedly is being based on the Jazz platform) would do nicely for those of us who need occasional multi-passenger capability (6- passengers......4 adults, 2 kids) and a flexible interior for whom the 4 seater Element is too limiting but for whom the porky Odyssey is too excessive. I don't think much is wrong with the upper end of Honda's lineup, although the CR-V would be better served with larger wheels and tires and a tailgate arrangement similar to the Element.
  • Do you suppose there are any lurkers from Honda who read these messages for cheap market research?

Here and elsewhere, I've seen ideas I generally agree with from consumers on the Edmunds site. I don't think we're some island of peculiar observations and outlying tastes.

Why _doesn't_ Honda sell the Latitude in the U.S.? Why don't they market a 5 door Civic hatch? What nutball focus group told them a 4-seater Element was a good idea? Why, oh why do they market a 2 door HX, but not a 4 door?

By the way, Wheelz4 - I'm not a big-wheel fetishist, but otherwise, you're right on.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Probably the same group that told Nissan to market a 4-seater version of the Maxima. And to add insult to injury, they also told Nissan to stick in a full-length rear console to prevent rear passengers from going from one side to the other. Can't you just see the stupidity of that idea? People buy a 4-door sedan for practicality and utility. So Nissan goes and makes a version that forces one passenger to enter/exit into traffic!
  • Honda did a great job with the Element! I have a Civic, but am going to add the Element to the garage. If the Element had been available when I bought my Civic, I would not even be here reading these posts. Don't get me wrong, I like my Civic. But the 4 seat Element is exactly what I need. Apparently it's meeting a lot of others needs too since they are going to easily beat the first year sales projections. Honda did misjudge who would be buying it, but I'm glad they designed it for the youth. The stereo is great! 270 watts with a sub-woofer. Why can't Honda offer better stereos in the Civic? That is one of my disappointments with my Civic. Might seem minor to some, but when you spend nearly 1 1/2 hours in a car a day, tunes are important.
  • BigKahunafl -

The Element IS a cool ride, I don't dispute it. Would adding a middle seat in the 2nd row ruin your appreciation for the vehicle? I have two kids, but with friends, or mother-in-laws, or what have you, I have a fifth person in the car every single week. An Element is 4" wider than the Civic, so it seems the middle passenger could theoretically be more comfortable than the poor sap in a Civic. Instead, the fifth person is in the cargo hold, the roof rack, or someone's lap.

I couldn't agree with you more about stereos. What demographic group doesn't want a decent stereo? C'mon - even a fifty year old grew up in the rockin' 60's. (Flame bait warning:) If anything, an oldster would NEED a louder stereo, what with the hearing loss and all.

I will rate the presence of an MP3 playing stereo and decent sound quality highly in my next car purchase. My d[arn] Civic can't even play burned .wav CDs without fluttering and sounding like junk.

Regarding the Maxima - if you are willing to go without the possibility of a 5th person, I think that central console isn't too bad. If you had teenagers, maybe. In any case, the rear console is an option, so if you want a 5 passenger Maxima, or a slide-your-butt-to-the-passenger-door Maxima, you can have one.

To raise again a nagging question - why the blazes doesn't Honda sell a 4-door HX? Families don't want better gas mileage?

Now I'm all bent out of shape. Have a good weekend, and whack an auto exec upside the head for me if you see one.

SanFranDan
  • needs to look beyond the Buick crowd/generation currently snapping up the Accords in dealerships across NA. A very competent car is ok but what's to come after? There's a compelling demand out there for the Mazda3/Lancer/Sentra size with adequate engine response. Why must we always have to pay for space which we only use occasionally?
  • Honda should offer a station wagon in their Civic line of vehicles.
  • snarkssnarks Posts: 207
    Doesn't a CRV with FWD fit the role of a station wagon vehicle in Honda's Civic line? It also has a dual role of small SUV with AWD.
  • Bring back the CRX! Great little cars.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    The new Si drives just like, if not better than the 89 CRX I remember. Very peppy, roomy, and comfortable. It is larger than CRX was, but it is still small enough to fit into many parking spots.

When the Insight first came out, my first impression was that this what CRX would looked like had Honda continued making it. I still think that Hatchback is a better design (volume wise) that fast back that CRX was.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I tend to agree that CR-V is a civic station wagon. It shares so many components with the Civic. Although, HR-V is probably closer to being a Civic Wagon, it is not sold here just like real Civic wagon. Did anyone catch a glimpse of Euro accord wagon at geneva auto show? Do you think we will ever get TSX wagon?
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    It is too "high" to be a station wagon. A lower to the ground station wagon will handle better, be more aerodynamic and therefore get much better fuel economy.
    A lowered CR-V will not get significantly better gas mileage. So, is Civic Wagon with jacked suspension an SUV? Follow the logic you present that CR-V is not Civic station wagon because it is high off the ground. That would mean that Civic Wagon (4WD or FWD) with a lift kit i snot a wagon anymore.

The CR-V shares about 80% of components with the Civic. So, if anyone is looking for a Civic Wagon, get FWD CR-V and lower it.
    A SUV differs from a station wagon in two ways: Body height and ground clearance. The body of a CR-V is taller than a potential Civic wagon. This is the space from the floor of the CR-V to the ceiling.

This taller body is also higher off the ground than a potential Civic wagon.

Both of these items result in decreased aerodynamic efficiency, therefore decreased fuel economy. The fwd CR-V gets 26 mpg highway, compared to 38 for the Civic. A squared-off Civic would get similar mileage as a sedan. Compare MPG figures for the Jetta Sedan/Wagon - The Jetta wagon actually gets better fuel economy than the sedan - 32 vs. 31.

I want a Honda wagon that gets mileage in the high 30's.

You can't "lower" a CR-V and have it keep its comfortable ride and handling.
    Before the was a CR-V, there was a 4 WD Civic Wagon, that had a high ceiling to roof distance and was slightly higher off the ground. In fact, CR-V's AWD system was lifted from "Civic Wagon 4WD" and placed in a modified body to make a CR-V. Civic Wagon 4WD was CR-V's grandfather.

The reason CR-V gets worse MPG's than Civic is not only because it is high off the ground, but mainly because it is heavier and has a much larger engine. The 7th generation civic has 1.7 liter, while USDM 2nd generation CR-V has 2.4, and the rest of the world enjoys a CR-V with a 2.0 similar to Civic Si, which gets about 30 mpg in the Civic Si.
    - 1.8 and 2.0L i-Vtec motors (130hp & 150hp)
    - 5 speed automatic transmission
    - 6 speed manual transmission (with 6th gear being a really tall overdrive gear, so you're turning about 3,000 rpm at 80mph, instead of the current 3,800 rpm at 80mph)
    - One more inch of headroom and rear seat legroom.
    - Increased sound deadening
    - Sedan, Coupe and Matrix-like 4 dr hatch/wagon, with an awd option.
    Are you willing to pay for all those? It will sureley bring the sticker price of a Civic EX 4 dr to about $20K if not more.
  • markg4markg4 Posts: 44
    the only things i've heard are it will be a coupe and have 180hp. as far as pricing, it will have to compete with the mazda 3 and the new toyota corolla xrs and scion so it has to come in under $20k. i know my next vehicle will be a toss up between these 3-4 options.
    - The cost moving from a 1.7 to a 1.8/2.0 motor would be negligible. Same parts, just a little bigger.

- 5 speed auto trans / 6 speed manual would add some cost - maybe a couple hundred dollars. But I like to think that Honda buyers are smarter than most, and could see that there would be a payoff with increased fuel economy. Honda Thailand offers a Civic with this exact combination (2.0L/5spd AT). I believe they are using the Accord auto trans, so it might be no more expensive to have a shared transmission between Accord & Civic than to make two different ones. Cost comes down when quantity goes up.

- Increased headroom - again negligible cost increase.

- Sound deadening - this might actually cost something - like a under hood mat, firewall mat, wheel well insulating, thicker glass. This could add a few hundred dollars.

Honda is already selling more Civics than any than any other small car, with minimum incentives. People have shown a willingness to pay extra for quality and refinement. I think Honda would do well to build upon the levels of refinement that already exist, to keep it at the top of the small car heap.

I believe that Honda could add the above mentioned features for no more than a $500 increase over the current model.
  • Why is it that America only gets the sedan and the coupe versions of the Civic? (with the exception of the Si)

In other parts of the world, Honda does have the 3-door and the 5-door hatch versions of the Civic. Especially with the recent revival of hatch/wagon demand in the US, why haven't the execs of Honda USA introduced the already existing versions of Civic in the US to compete with the likes of Mazda3, VW Golf, and Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe twins?
  • Umm, sorry but I already created a discussion on that called «2006 Acura EL/Honda Civic»
    Probably because the Si hatchback is not selling as fast as they would have liked.
    Although there is a resurgance of hatchbacks, it is a drop in the bucket compared to SUV and sedan sales. It will cost Honda more money to certify all those variations that they possibly stand a chance to sell.