Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Future Models

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "IMO, Honda has lost it's way in the design field--The day it happened? The day they dropped the CRX for the Del Sol...thee person responsible should have not only been fired but also be forced to publically apologize for their moronic call."

No Honda lost its way in the design field with the 03 Accord Sedan in my opinion. It looked like they were trying to appeal to a different buyer with the current generation of accord than of Accord buyers past which they should have never done. In my opinion Honda misjudged the market in terms of exterior styling with the new Accord. If you look at newer Acura's Honda looks like they haven't lost their exterior styling touch.

"The day they dropped the CRX for the Del Sol...thee person responsible should have not only been fired but also be forced to publically apologize for their moronic call."

As far as Honda dropping the Del Sol and CRX they did that because big SUV's were on the rise in the 90's and sports car trend of the late 80/early 90's were on the downslope. You can't blame Honda for dropping the CRX and Del Sol when they did.

"The reason toyota is gaining market share??? Honda's design team is giving it to them..."

In my opinion Toyota is not that much better off than Honda is in styling right now. The main cars that Honda is losing market share too are the Nissan Altima, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra and Sonata and also the Toyota Corolla to a ceratin extent. With the 2002 Altima Nissan made inroads against Honda's 03 Accord.

"IF american's truly hate hatchbacks let's see...um the cooper, the Xa, The P5, the 3 series, the celica, the IS 300, and a ton of other cars (who are eating Honda's Lunch) wouldn't sell one car, let alone be as hot as they are..."

With the exception of the Cruiser I mean no hatchbacks have really penetrated the market. The P5 maybe you have a case there to a certain extent. When do you ever see a 3 Series hatch or IS 300 hatch? Hardly ever. On the 3 Series I see more 3 Series convertibles than I do the hatch model. The Celica is on the axe after 05. The XA I really don't see them a whole lot of them where I live. If Honda could make money on a hatchback I;m sure they would bring it back.

As far as the new Civic is concerned it looks like the 04 TL on the front and the Audi convertible in the back. I don't take too much stock in those drawings. You know how secretive Honda is when the release new models. You think Honda is going to put a big huge spoiler on a Civic like what was shown in the spy photo's? I doubt it. I do think if Honda laxes on the exterior styling like they did with the current Civic they will continue to lose sales from the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla. I think Honda will step up with the best product possible with the 06 Civic. One more thing can Honda please use a higher quality of interior plastics with the newer Civic than they did with the current Civic? I was also hoping for the return of the double wishbone suspension back with the 06 Civic. From one of the postings I saw here it looks like that is not happening.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    Am looking for a low cost, reliable vehicle that offers both ABS and stability control. The '05 Odysseys have this on the entire line. Any word on the Civic or Accord having these features?
  • Have to check on Stab. availablility.

DrFill
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Concept pictures of the Civic 5-door

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,428
    That looks like the 3-door. Did the 5-door pics not come through?
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    They changed them. Sorry... www.vtec.net has copies of the ones I originally posted though.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I hate to break it to you, but this is the current Si. Which is avialable at your local Honda dealer.
    Am looking for a low cost, reliable vehicle that offers both ABS and stability control. The '05 Odysseys have this on the entire line. Any word on the Civic or Accord having these features?

2005 Honda CR-V has them both too. Oddysey is close to $30K, and CR-V EX and SE are close to $25K. Do you want one on the Civic too? If yes, are you willing to pay for it? The only Civic that has come close to having stability control is the Si, which comes with electronic brake force distribution on top of ABS. There is not free lunch, if Honda offers them as a $1000 - $1500 option on the LX will you pay for it?

Would you mow my lawn for free just because I want it? Or re-paint my house for free just because I want you to? I think you know the answer, and if it is yes, my e-mail is public on Edmunds, we can make arraingments.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,271
    when are the '06s supposed to show up at the dealers? Spring, or fall?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    But, based on looks alone, that thing isnt something I'd buy. The lights going all the way across the front calls to mind the early 90s Grand Prix and Sable models. Ewh. And what's up with the RX-8 knock off exhaust!

~alpha
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    I've read somewhere that stability control adds around $300.00 to the price of the car these days.
    Sheet metal looks great, but the headlights and taillights are a little too much. Sure we won't get it here though. 4 door hatchbacks are just too practical. Unfortunately wastefull/ impractical cars get more attention stateside.
    I've read somewhere that stability control adds around $300.00 to the price of the car these days.

It probably cost manufacturer that much to buy the equipment, who is going to pay to install it, and design the new brake system around it? Even if the option costs $500 are you willing to pay for it? This will bring the LX sticker close to $16,000.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Posts: 349
    I, for one, would definitely buy the five doior hatch if it comes here.

Please, Honda,. Pretty please.

Turboshadow
  • chidorochidoro Posts: 125
    Is that a Pacer?

I can't see this one coming stateside, not that it would matter to me much as I would never get something that looked like that. Door handles, wheels and exhaust ar the only things that are appealing.

I really just wat to see the dang sedan.
  • I saw one a car carrier in Maryland last week and was nuts for it. Currently drive an old Toyota hatch wagon and have been in market for new Honda.

Have called all the local Honda shops - they don't sell it, and when I looked it up on net, appear that they only sell it in Europe, or otherwise outside the states. One dealer suggested that the car I saw was en route to a magazine/reviewer/car show, etc...

Is it possible to buy the 5 door hatchback in US?
    VW, Mazda, and Toyota all have 5 door hatchbacks, but Honda has abandoned that market in the U.S.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Element.

More of a small van, really. But it fits the profile.
    Element is an SUV that lacks the nimble size of a car, and it uses more fuel than a V-6 Accord much less a Civic. It also only seats 4.

As far as I am concerned it is closer to a Suburban than it is to a Civic. Unfortunately Honda and others have abandoned wagons and hatches because more people agree with varmint. The feeling seems to be that a vehicle has to be ponderous and inefficient to have utility.

The SUV acronym is truely genius as it gave features to a class of vehicles that was neither sporty or utilitarian (for their size and weight). Fortunately the tide is turning and there are more wagons coming out. Honda will just take a while - they are slow to adapt. VW had fuel injection in all their vehicles 10 years before Honda.
    VTEC
    Hybrids
    Cross-overs
    Magic seat
    The in-bed trunk
    The CVCC
    SH-AWD
    120 hp/liter
    Nav systems

Yeah... Honda is way behind.

As for the Element, I think it's simply a matter of people recognizing what they actually do with their vehicles. What good is a wagon with nimble handling when you creep along in traffic all the time.

With a vehicle like the Element, xB, or PT Cruiser, you can enjoy the car for its trick features, styling, or functionality. And you can see where you're going.
    Is it possible to buy the 5 door hatchback in US?

Both Element and CR-V are based on the Civic. They both use the same 2.4 liter found in Accord, and offer AWD.

As much as I would like a 5 door hatch, if I were faced with buying a $20,000 Civic 5 door, or $20,000 Element, I would probably go for the Element. Although, I did not like the way it drove, dollar for dollar, Element, offers more.
    As much as I would like a 5 door hatch, if I were faced with buying a $20,000 Civic 5 door, or $20,000 Element, I would probably go for the Element. Although, I did not like the way it drove, dollar for dollar, Element, offers more.

-----------------------------------------------
    Ugh. Element would offer poorer performance, worse mileage and worse handling than a Civic 5 door. I'd take the 5 door every time. I like to stop, go, and turn too much to spend money on high, tippy vehicles. been there, done that, I'll never do it again.

Plus, and this is just my opinion, the Element is the ugliest thing on the road since the Aztek is gone. xB give it a good run for the money in the ugly department.

Turboshadow
    It can be lowered

Plastic can be painted
    Or both
    You can stick a candle in a cow pie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.

Turboshadow
    It is not all about size. Just because the element is larger does not mean it is better. In fact it is worse at just about everything, except cargo space. It only seats 4 for goodness sakes.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Nothing like taking a car that already looks silly, and making it even more so...oh well....
    Honda sells 3-5K Elements each month. How many Civic hatches do they sell?
    Well, how many hatches do they offer besides the overpriced Si? And before everybody gets all upset, I had an 89 Si that I loved, but the current Si is an overpriced, underwhelming vehicle.

If Honda offered a decently priced 5-door Civic, I would be first in line to get one. Right now, Honda offers nothing I'm interested in. I've felt this way (sadly) since 1998, when I traded in my beloved Si. I owned Civics from 86-98, and if they offered something I liked, I'd get it.

But they don't.

Turboshadow