Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Future Models

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Okay. How many 89 Sis did they sell? How many Civic Wagons did they sell?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    The thing is a civic wagon would offer equel fuel mileage and ride handling etc. to the sedan with almost the space of the element (more passenger less cargo).

The element on the other hand uses 50% more fuel, has worse handling ride etc. Is it worth the trade? Just today they were talking about gas near $3.oo per gallon in the not too distant future.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Toyota doesnt seem to have much trouble selling Matrices. That vehicle is more of the ilk of the Civic Wagon, dont you think?

~alpha
  • turboshadowturboshadow Posts: 349
    Okay. How many 89 Sis did they sell? How many Civic Wagons did they sell?
    -------------------------------------

Hmmm...I don't know. Must have been a bunch of them. I knew plenty of people back then who had Civic Sis, Civic Wagons, (even knew of a couple of AWDs, which were kinda silly in south Georgia, IMO), and a tons of CRX Sis, which was another great small hatch.

The late eighties was sorta the heyday of the hatch, though. (sniff)

Turboshadow
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Honda sells 3-5K Elements each month. How many Civic hatches do they sell?

First year, 2002, Honda imported 15,000 Si's, they did not sell well. 2003, 2004, 2005 were all close 7,500-8,000/year.

By the way, Si i snot overpriced if you haggle at the right time. I got my 2002 Si in January of 2003 with 8 miles on the odo for $14,500 and 1.9% APR. I actually came in to test drive the Element, but the fact that 5 spd was not available and the one I drove felt top heavy drove me away from it. The sales man suggested I drive the Si. I did and fell in love. I was actually cross shopping Matrix/Vibe and Element, and ended up with Civic Si, Matrix Coupe as I call it. If you put Si and Matrix side by side, they are very similar except the 2 doors missing from the Civic. But, the price was right on the Civic.

Now that Honda finally has the 5 spd Element with painted panels from factory, I have been looking at it again. It is still top heavy, but I guess I can slow down a bit, maybe. Maybe not, and just get a TSX.
    By the way, Si i snot overpriced if you haggle at the right time. I got my 2002 Si in January of 2003 with 8 miles on the odo for $14,500 and 1.9% APR.
    -----------------------------------------
    I agree completely with that statement.

However...

When it first came out, MSRP was around 20K and dealers were putting 3K ADM on them. I think this PO'd a number of buyers (I was in the market) who decided they would NEVER buy one after that. I think that hurt Si sales more than anything.

I think the ADM practice has created a backlash against a number of new cars.

Turboshadow
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Unfortunatley, if someone is "not smart enough" to realize that ADM will go away if they stay away from buying the car deserve all they get for falling for that. I though that even at MSRP the Si was on the high edge of pricing. Who in their right mind would pay $20K for a Civic. This is what I say to people who scream about the Type R not being available here. Are they willing to pay $25K for a Civic with no air conditioner, no radio, and no sunroof?

If I were to buy a $25K car, I would look into TSX or IS300.

Honda dealers are not as bad as some Ford, and GM dealers.
    Ford Thunderbird had a $10K ADM (in one case there was a $20K ADM), and now it is being discontinued for not selling.
    Chevy SSR had a $6000 ADM.
    Honda dealers are not as bad as some Ford, and GM dealers.
    Ford Thunderbird had a $10K ADM (in one case there was a $20K ADM), and now it is being discontinued for not selling.
    Chevy SSR had a $6000 ADM.
    ---------------------------------------

Those were the two in particular that I was thinking about. I believe there is a backlash happening in such practices.

You're right about the Type R Civic as well. If you really, truly wanted one, its easy to build your own. In retrospect, I should have done something similar when the engine started going in my old Si. Hindsight....

Turboshadow
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    I'm really pleased with the Civic overall, but I'm curious as to why Honda doesn't offer the 2 door coupe in a performance model? I don't care for the looks of the Si model, and there's really no reason Honda couldn't make a high performance version of the 2 door coupe. Could you imagine how much fun this car would be to drive with the RSX's 200 hp 2 liter engine? They can't honestly think this car wouldn't sell, unless they priced it too high. I could see this car selling like hot cakes at around the $16K-$17K price range. 127 hp just isn't enough for performance minded drivers.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    i hate to advertise toyota in a honda forum, but if you're looking for a small hatchback that is realtively cheap, why dont you look at the new Toyota Yaris. I test-drove it and i absolutely cant wait to buy it

~allcarsrcool
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    hate to advertise toyota in a honda forum,

Three good reasons to buy a Civic over the Yaris.
    Civic is much roomier.
    Civic gets better mileage on the highway. Much better city & highway if you buy the hybrid.
    And the Yaris is UGLY.....
    You should really go drive the Civic before you buy the Yaris. It is an entry level vehicle that may not last till you are done making the payments. If you are paying cash no big deal.

PS
    Welcome to the forum!!!
    for me, i am a relatively tall person, but my legs are very long, i've test driven both but i can only fit behind the wheel of the yaris
    PS

how did u know i was new to the forum?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    Your profile tells me when you joined and the last few threads you posted in. I have not sat in a Yaris. I did sit in the Xb Scion and was impressed with the headroom in front and back. You are right the headroom in both the Civic and Accord is marginal. My head touches in the Accords I have sat in. That is unacceptable.
    my torso is proportionally shorter than my legs... i just have trouble fitting my knees behind the steering wheel... i was very happy that i could actually fit behind the steering wheel of the yaris! :)
    Is it even plausible that honda may design a new de sol... based off the civic coupe or sedan? Someone please speak their mind on this one...
  • magoosh1magoosh1 Posts: 13
    Now that Honda will be making Civics in Indiana, do you think they will make the Civic Hybrid there? How about some other kind of Civics--like a 4 door hatch--to go up against the Mazda 3 (I like that car) and Toyota Matrix?

And, with upcoming space in Ohio where Civics were made (once the IN plant comes online), what will be built there?

Chris from MI who LOVES his 06 LX Civic and his wife's 06 Subie Forester
  • gpkgpk Posts: 38
    I would really be happy if honda decided to offer a diesel engine for the civic. The gas mileage would be excellent. Better yet offer the diesel with a hybrid combo.
  • alicebaliceb Posts: 7
    Has anyone heard if a 2-door Civic Hybrid is in the works?