Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

1111213141517»

Comments

• kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    it's a used JDM engine that has to be replaced due to laws in japan (and other Asian countries). They aren't always a good deal nor always from japan. Since they have to be replaced at 30k, they are very often trashed by the original owner. Since they are used in commercial applications (many come from small delivery trucks), the internals are very often slightly different and some aren't designed to last much past 30k. More often than not they are pulled and stored for years in terrible conditions, no inspections, without oil fill and simply rust internally. you'll find them still with wires attached, just cut with a dull axe. Ugggglllllyyyy....

We pulled 3 apart to find one that was useable. It lasted 500 miles beyond the 12000 mile warranty.....

imho, a rebuilt is more often more reliable since someone has at least taken it apart and rebuilt it, and has a better warranty sometimes. Pulling one from a domestic junk yard is a good choice, at least you know the internals are the same.

unfortunately the labor to install a junkyard engine or a rebuilt or 30k is the same. It's better not to skimp.
  • The Honda Civic EX 2009 has a 60/40 split rear seat, but even 40% is too large to waste on the rear seat.

That civic also has a rear arm-rest/cup holder than can be lowered. In previous cars, I've seen that they have a flap-door in the rear, which if opened, allows for long items to be stowed in the trunk and have them stick out into the rear seat. This allows the seat-back to be kept upright, and just have skis stick out through the hole in the center.

I was wondering if I can cut open a flap in that rear-armrest backing, and get access to trunk that way! Can use velcro to make the flap be close-able.

Any reasons why this would not work?
  • very tru it always iffy i would recomend useing one if you in tend on overhauling it befor you put it in your car. the recsonbing is that a lot of the the parts they use are a bit more high performance and most parts that need replacing would be parts you would replce anyway. the motors are a bit diferent thow with any motor it all relies on the metal and how it can hold out. im not sure how much of the motor is built with strong metals but i do know that the demand on there motors are way more than are motors they belive the small engines can produce the power if built superior!
  • Does anybody have recent experience with the dealer installing an XM radio in an "XM Ready" Civic? I have a 2005 Accord and the XM was factory installed in the audio system and has been fabulous.
    When the dealer installs it, do all the same audio controls and knobs work the XM? Does the digital display show the artist, title, etc?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    When the dealer installs it, do all the same audio controls and knobs work the XM? Does the digital display show the artist, title, etc?

Yes, it is controlled by the same audio controls. And yes, you will see the title and artist info displayed. However, the display is only one line so you'll have to wait for the info to scroll across. Nonetheless, it will work in that manner.
  • shhessyshhessy Posts: 14
    I bought a Civic VP that comes without the center console, but it has a good storage compartment behind the center cupholders. I wonder if there is a cover (OEM or factory) that I can buy to close the storage compartment to rest my elbow when I am driving. Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confuse:
  • tjchintjchin Posts: 12
    Hello: Just bought a car and am wondering if anyone has any comments on LoJack. I didn't buy it the same day as the car, because I wanted to do some research and see what other people paid for it, etc., and then go back to the dealer and negotiate.

Any feedback on best price paid for lojack, is it worth it?? I am just looking for base installation that sells for $695.00. Any maintenance costs, etc?

Thanks
  • I purchased a used 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol, and it has a custom stereo system installed in it. The dealer told us the Keyless Entry remote needed a new battery/didn't work. I heard from my uncle, who had a '96 Civic that when HE installed a custom stereo into his car, the factory keyless entry didn't work for him either. He said that he was told the keyless entry was built into the radio through the car's antenna. Is this the same case here? And if it is, is there anyway around it?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    I heard from my uncle, who had a '96 Civic that when HE installed a custom stereo into his car, the factory keyless entry didn't work for him either. He said that he was told the keyless entry was built into the radio through the car's antenna. Is this the same case here? And if it is, is there anyway around it?

Yes, this is the case. It was a stupid idea, but true. The way around it back in the 90's was to keep the factory stereo in the vehicle, but bury it out of sight in the car. That way it could still operate the door locks and you could still have a custom stereo in the dashboard.

Since it sounds like the factory stereo is already gone, there may be an aftermarket electronic part that you could find that would do the same thing as the factory stereo did.
  • isher1992isher1992 Posts: 2
    I appreciate the reply!

But, it hit me about two days later that the car didn't even have power locks, and I compared the remote with my uncle's 2003 Civic remote and it didn't even look right. It was an after market remote. So, I clicked all the buttons and then the center button unveiled a useless feature: remote start. Whoever wired it wasn't very smart, because while it's engaged, the lights flash on and off continuously. And it doesn't turn off when you take the key out after it's started.

So, basically I have no use for this remote. :)
  • crazyflycrazyfly Posts: 61
    This is a good price and the peace of mind is priceless. The lojack installer normally puts a small sticker on the back bumper that tells the world the car has lojack...okay, it doesn;t tell the world, but it tells people who know what the sticker means that the vehicle has lojack and to not mess with it. Lojack transmitters (several) are concealed in different sections of the car. There is no ongoing maintenance costs of the system but you may want to get a new battery for the lojack systems after 2-3 years. I hope this info helps.
  • In a nutshell I am looking for upgrade(s) that will maintain or increase resale value without breaking the bank. Have considered intakes/exhausts, Nav/DVD, bug deflector, etc. Probably going to sell the car within the next year or so only because I need AWD. It's in great condition, 87k miles - all stock except door panel speakers. Looking for something "utilitarian" ... something just about anyone would enjoy having and could justify spending some money on.

"What is the best way to spend up to 1k on this car?"

Suggestions? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.