Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    1996 Explorer Sport. Sold in 2002 @ 92,000 Miles. Needed a fuel pump, new shocks, and a door lock actuator.

2000 Explorer XLT 2 year lease. 4.0L SOHC motor had to have the timing chain tensioner fixed. Gave back to dealer with close to 30,000 miles on it.

2000 Limited with the 4.0L SOHC that my wife currently drives. Has needed 2 lower ball joints and a thermostat. She is currently at 76,000 miles. I also mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was getting a lot of front suspension noise. Turned out to be the front stabilizer bar end links. I took off the bolt for each and installed 3 washers on each end link to pull it tighter together. It worked beautifully! A 29 cents fix! For the horrible roads we live on, the Explorer still remains to be very tight and quiet.

I am a Ford guy, but I am not trying to sweeten a sour grape. I am reporting all problems I recall having, and am lead to believe these are very good trucks.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    When I turn heat on, there is some sort of smell coming into the car for 10-15 minutes. It smells and feels like pulverised coal, or something similar. At times could be unbearable. Then it disappears. Sometimes I turn heat on, and - miracle - works just fine. What could it be? 2004 MM, V6, 12,500 miles, perfectly maintained. Wents position is windshield/floor.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Pulverized coal, you say......that's a new one on me... I'm not sure I made it to class in Chem lab the day we did that chapter. Is that what this new yellow coolant smells like hot now? No more sweet jello smell? What else could it be though? You gotta have a leak in the core somewhere, probably a pinhole. I'd make the dealer tear into it and find out. Does it do it enough to make them smell it reliably?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Fsv,

Is it the same transitioning smell as a house A/C system, when you first switch it to heat, from months of cooling? My guess it's probably the coating from the heatcore, and might take awhile for it to dissipate.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It could be what ANT just said......and you could be hyper-sensitive. :)
    Could be. But the other six in the car say the same.

coating from the heatcore - could be. I'll give it some time. Appointment at the dealer is on the 4th of February, anyway.
  • I have a similar problem - my '03 XLT has a pipe tobacco smoke odor come from the heat when it is first turned on - but ONLY when it is damp or raining out. It goes away after a couple of minutes. Before I try and have it looked at, any ideas on that one? Never a scent with the A/C on or on a dry day. I've owned it since new, and I don't smoke!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,958
    It won't fix the problem but a half ounce of fresh ground coffee tossed on the carpet will mask odors for a few weeks, and doesn't outgas formaldehyde like those hanging trees.

Avoid if you're sensitive to coffee odors.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 4.0 2003 M. Mountaineer that was avg. 15 - 16 mpg; I brought it into the dealer for new tires. They said there was an upgrade to the computer - since then my mpg has fallen to approx. 12.5. The car seems to run fine other than that. I spoke with the shop and they said they can't remove the upgrade to the computer - Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    You need to talk to the Service Manager about the "reflash" they did on your computer. Whatever it is, unless you drive pretty crazy-12.5 mpg is WAY TOO LOW. The minimum you should get is around 14 MPG in town. BTW...I would never buy tires from the dealer. There are several "national chains" where if you buy their tires-they will do free rotation and rebalance for the life of those tires. Generally, the dealers don't do this. And if they do-is it really that convenient to take the SUV to the dealer for rotation and re balances? I don't think so!

GOOD LUCK!
    is 300 miles on 20 gallons in mixed driving, which is merely highway. So, I average 15mpg too. And, as I stated previously, I drive like Miss Daisy's driver. I guess, MM are just gas burners. People saying they are getting 20 IN THE CITY - I doubt reality of these stories
    This is a 4,500 lb. vehicle. They are not going to pull 20 mpg in town-no way. You miles-per-gallon at 15 mixed is right in there. As I stated previously, I have always got 20 MPG HIGHWAY at 75 mph. I have done this at least three times.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    chuck1.. it is kind of stange i get my best miles on long, but high speed runs too. i have v8 with tow package.
    Mines a V6 !

-Chuck1
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    i still think mu eplorer eb looks great after 2 1/2 years. i mean clean or dirty. right now, it is trashed on the outside.
  • My 03 explorer has now had a new ring and pinion at 24000mls and a complete rear end hub to hub at 36000mls. The second was covered under ESP I reluctantly paid the deductable then called ford and asked for a refund of the $50.00.I was told I should be glad i bought the ESP or I would have paid $1647.00 for the repair.I cant understand why acompany that spends millions to get customers in their dealerships wont spend$50.00 to keep one who has bought 3 new fords since 1999.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ANT, a couple of shows (Detroit and LA) have come and still don't see any news anywhere about the Explorer 2006. At this point I ma undicided about the Explorer or the Expedition, it seems that the later already has must of the "goodies" expected in the 2006 Explorer...will we see anything by April's NY Auto show?....will the Explorer 2006 be available towards the 4th qt of 2005?....I ask you since you seem to have a "Ford crystal ball" into the near future.......thanks in advance...
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    We saw the Explorer Sport Trac and where that is headed and what's to be expected of the vehicle. When I return from vacation, I'll be able to give you a production date. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe 2005 is a short run year for it, before introducing the new one, or I believe it's 2006 has a short run, with a spring '06 introduction for it. As I stated, I'll try to look for the specific time period.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Thanks for your reply..I will look forward to your info on the Explorer 2006...like I said I am still undecided about the 2005 Expedition..have a great vacation
  • Hey ya'll

If you own a 03 Ford Explorer get ready to have you rear end replaced on a fairly regular basis. I bought mine new 16 months ago and I put a few more miles on per month than most. The first replacement went in at 28000...they paid. The latest one went in at almost the same mileage 58000...I paid. Ford service was unsympathetic at best but the parts rep at the dealership was a little secretive but more than a little informative. The Nashville dealership I bought it at is one of the bigger ones in Tennesse but he told me mine was the 47th in 2004 that he had ordered. Ford is naturally silent about the problem because any TSB or recall will cost them. I'm in the music business with a major label deal so I'll make my noise where I can.

Steve