Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tbaggstbaggs Posts: 2
    i CALLE FORD AND THEY SAID THAT TEHY HADN'T POST A RECALL YET . i GUESS CALL THEM AND COMPLAIN AND MAYBE THEY'LL DO A RECALL
  • pboropboro Posts: 1
    Have a great deal of vibration in my 1999 Mountaineer when it starts going from 65 to 70 and above. The tires have some tread left but are over 5 years old and probably the problem. What would be the best tire to replace them with, I use it primarily to tow my bass boat and not used off road, maybe a gravel road through a national forest every once in a while. Pressently it has Goodyear 235/75 15r 105s on it.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul
  • txredtxred Posts: 3
    I've had the same crack in my 2002 Mountaineer for over a year now. Dealer told me it occurs because of the way we close the glass, and he's seen it happen a lot. Mine hasn't gotten worse, just a perfectly straight line crack, where the two pieces come together.
  • I understand that the '04 Mountaineer had a transmission recall. I have an '05 and the same problem happened to mine, but the VIN number doesn't pull up under the recall. Anyone else have problems with and '05 or do you know of any recalls on the '05 Mountaineer transmissions. About $2900 worth
  • we have the same crack-just appeared one morning. And action taken towards repair?
  • romiromi Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Mountaineer and have gone thru 3 sets of tires. You need to rotate them every 5000 or when you remember. If you get mud or snow in the rims they'll be unbalanced. And if you get uneven tread wear try to rebalance them. It helped me once.
  • romiromi Posts: 2
    I have had my 97 Mountaineer for 226,000 miles and the Check Engine light came on at 80,000 miles and the code said EGR valve. I was quoted $400 to fix it because it was inside the engine somewhere. I said the car runs fine. They said don't fix it then. So I haven't - the only problem I have is the check engine (idiot ) light on the dashboard cannot be stopped. When it is reset it simply comes on again. All you 97 owners can expect the engine to last 200,000 miles no problems I still don;'t even burn oil. But tires, ball joints and breaks are common replacements. My last repair was the fuel pump at 225,000 miles.

My next repair is the ?
    This car makes a groaning noise when I turn corners especially when it is warmed up. When I drive straight no problems. Any suggestions?
    I fear driveshaft or CV joints. Any idea how much these things cost? :(
  • I have an '05 Mountaineer and my roof paint cracked and flaked off all the way down to the base gray. It was 3 weeks out of warranty; the dealership got a quote to repaint for $980 after Ford refused to correct the mistake. (They admitted it was a factory defect in paint). I was offered a deal to pay $200 and Ford pick up the rest. Plus, the motor in my back windows went out and the fuel gauge doesn't always show a full tank even after I fill up.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    it all happened overnight because Henry Ford was pissed off at what's happening with his company and his ghost came out everynight cracking those liftgates trying to deliver a message to his heirs... "DO SOMETHING!"
  • meemeemeemee Posts: 8
    If the ghost is sending a message it isn't helping. The crack appears "better" in warm weather. Cold really draws it apart and it stands out. Ford offered to "maybe" help toward repair. But said that I would using my one time out of warranty coverage. Getting an estimate. Really have not had any other problems or expenses. Only oil, filters, gas, wipers and tires.
  • I've got a 2005 Explorer with the factory tow package. I found the wiring harness in the rear storage. It has pigtails that will connect to the brake controller, but where under the dashboard is the connection that it plugs into?
  • keogh22keogh22 Posts: 1
    I've called my dealership about the crack and getting it fixed; all they had to say was that there has been no recall issued yet. The Explorer has the same problem and Ford has issued a recall and is fixing the problem as long as the vehicle is under 6 years old and has fewer than 75,000 miles on it.

I've called Ford/Mercury about issuing one for the Mountaineer and they said they haven't. My only thought is that they are waiting for more people to complain before they issue a recall.

So, if you haven't called Ford to report your problem, please do, so we can all get this fixed.
  • dhutchensdhutchens Posts: 1
    I cannot get the liftgate to open when i pull the lever one side opens but the other side stays locked. help
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    It seems very few people are visiting this thread, but I'm hoping someone with a similar issue happens by. Our 2004 Mountaineer developed the crack in the liftgate as others in this thread have reported last Sunday morning. Just appeared out of nowhere. Started along the left edge of the Mercury Applique and ran up to about a inch and a half below the glass. Now a week later the crack goes all the way up to the window. Unfortunetly the Mercury dealership that I'd developed a good relationship with closed last July. I know they would have taken care of it no questions asked. I just bought a Ford Fusion SEL from the nearest Ford dealer which is about 2 miles from the closed Mercury dealership. I asked them to see what they might do to help me out. Body Shop manager said he would have to run it by the General Manager whom is on vacation until 11/3/08. He said they have seen a few with this problem (in reality I bet it is way more than a few) , but because it's out of warranty they probably can't do it for free. I was wondering if anybody has gotten these taken care of and how much should I expect to have to pay if Ford refuses to fix it for free? Is the fix holding up? Thanks in advance.
  • Hi, there are a lot of people with this same problem, Mountaineers and Explorers. Ford is fixing the problem with no cost to the owner. We just had our out of warranty mountaineer fixed at Tasca Ford in Cranston, RI. You just have to pusue it.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I had a problem with my 2003 Sonata that I just gave to my daughter. About a year ago the drivers side seat developed cracks in the leather which they claimed was considered normal wear and tear and they refused to take care of it. Went through a lot of back and forth with the dealership that I bought it from to get something done. Car only had about 30,000 miles on it. With the cost of $1800 there was no way I was willing to pay for it. Finally after much complaining and phone calls they sent a Customer Service rep up from Cincinnati and he agreed to have it fixed for free. Hopefully I won't have to go through as much to get an obvious defect fixed by Ford. I'm now concerned with the fact that the crack is spreading that the rear glass may shatter or pop out on the highway. Don't know if I can go very long with the risk of this occurring if it's at all possible for that to happen. It seems to be expanding a little more every couple of days. Right now it only has about 2 inches more before it runs the total distance from the glass to the bottom of the liftgate.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,690
    i am responding you your post over in the fusion forum, but i don't think you will like the answer.
    my '02 explorer has the same issue, and it is not extremely rare. how many vehicles it happens to, i have no idea. i even remember hearing it go 'crack'.
    it is purely cosmetic. the painted panel is not structural, so don't get too worried about any safety issue. i stuck a piece of duck tape over it for 6 months or so, until my wife and kids broke me down with complaints.
    my story is that i am very faithful(service every 3k) to the dealer i bought my explorer from and they did and 'after warranty adjustment(awa)'. your vehicle is eligible for 6 years or 75k miles, but it is pretty much completely up to the dealer to step up to the plate for you.
    i bought my first vehicle from the dealer in 1990 and this awa was in 2006.
    it's about a 450-500 repair.
    since the kids have been driving for the last couple years, the panel has some scratches on it anyway.
    Actually the Body Shop Manager called me this afternoon after talking to the dealership General Manager. Told me that they would only charge me $100 and they would take care of the rest. I said it sounds good and they are ordering the part today. I figured they might since I just bought a Fusion SEL V6 and for the first time ever their Premium Care Extended Warranty from them just last Tuesday. Bought the Warranty because I was able to get them to drop the price from $925 to $750, 5/75 Warranty and I will be driving about 15 to 20K per year.
  • I just want to know where to call, I have a 2005 with the same crack and I have been going through the parking lots and seeing a lot of them out there. I seen the crack appear when I opened the hatch, not the main but the smaller one where you just open the window, My wife or myself did not know there was another latch until we seen some one in the parking lot and seen how they opened it. The minute I opened it the crack appeared. I took it to the local dealer and they do not want to do anything about it.I have owned Fords all of my life and this is the first time they have not fixed a problem like this!!!! :confuse:
  • I would like to know more about the no fix cost. I just joined the "cracked liftgate" club with my 2004 Explorer. The crack runs vertical from top to bottom and is about 1/4 inch wide. It is located dead center of the liftgate and runs right through the Ford logo. I called the dealer last week and they said it would take a couple of days to fix and the cost would be around $550. I have seen other sites where people said that they paid to get the liftgate replaced only to have the new liftgate crack as well! So it seems to be a design and/or manufacturing defect by Ford.

Like so many others that I have read about - the crack simply appeared on a cold day. I was driving when it happened and heard a sort of crack sound from the rear and when I stopped and looked - there it was. So it's not as if someone smacked it in the parking lot or anything like that. Cold weather seems to put enough thermal stress on this part to cause it to crack like a dropped egg. :cry:

Now I have been scouting the parking lots and roads for cracked liftgates - and they are out there!! Bunches of 'em!!!
    I'd just go to the dealership that you purchased it from and ask them if they would take care of it first. Fortunately in my situation I had just bought a loaded Fusion SEL from the dealership so they agreed to only charge me $100. I'm having it replaced on January 30. Hopefully you have had most of your vehicles maintenance done at that dealership and have developed some kind of relationship with a service advisor there. In my case, the dealership that I purchased my Mountaineer from went out of business. I believe the only reason Ford took care of me was that I bought a $27,000 car from them.
  • Regarding the transmission, I have an 04 ( :lemon: ) but the guy at the shop said there was no recall on file. He had to overhaul (refurbish) the whole thing for $2,500.
  • Can you tell me how you pursued this. I talked to the dealer and all they offered was a 20% discount on the $365. repair and Ford Motor is backing that up since there hasn't been a recall. Any suggestions would be apprciated
    I have an '04 AWD V8 and there was only a recall on the fluid for the transmission not for the transmission itself. There definitely was not one for the transmission inner parts. There was a Technical Service Bulletin for the Solenod which was replaced along with the Pan and Gasket under warranty at 13,000 miles.
  • Hi, my dealer didn't want to fix it, I had to call Ford direct and describe my problem. Before you call Ford direct, get an estimate from your dealer, because Ford will ask for an estimate. The Ford direct # is in your manual, or just ask your dealer. There is a lot of people with the same problem. Good luck.
  • My 2005 is in the shop right now 1/3 of repair paid by me and 1/3 by Ford and 1/3 by dealer. Did you figure out no cost repair. if there is a huge problem like there is Ford should be taking care of this 100%. Why should we pay for a known issue?

My heater having an issue also they are fixing under same program or it alone would have cost $1200+ now heater and crack repaired for $400+ still ridiculous.
  • So far I have had no luck in dealing with the dealer or with Ford. I did find out that Ford
    had a service bulletin regarding this problem with the Natl Highway Safety Adminstration
    but they are unwilling to take care of their "problem" if the car is out of warranty. It is outrageous of them to take this stand. I filed a report with the Natl Highway Safety Adminstration. Maybe if everyone who has this problem filed a report with them , then
    they would see the enormous problem this is and issue a safety recall
  • bigdan1bigdan1 Posts: 23
    I am thinking about buying a 2002 Ford Explorer. It has 71,000 miles, and asking price is $5,000. It is a private party in Chicagoland area. I took a quick look and it seems nice, but I don't know anything abouth the Explorer. I have been a Ford man my whole life, but only Taurus since 1993, and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars before that. Any and all input is apreciated. Thanks.
  • If anyone else has this problem PLEASE call the Ford Motot Company and complain. I woke up this morning to the same crack in my 2003 Mountaineer. I called the Ford Motor Company and made a complaint. They informed me there was no recall as of yet because no one is calling them to let them know what is going on. Just calling your local dealership is not good enough.
  • I already reported it to Ford and NTSB to no avail THey have known about this problem since 2003 esp with their Ford Explorers. They are not willing to cover this
    defect.