Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    The TSB has to do with the rough shifting and applies to vehicles produced before 5/21/01; after that, the new software was already installed.
    The fix is to simply update the software through the OBD II port. It takes only about 15 minutes after it's hooked up.
    I mentioned the TSB to my dealer and he had no trouble finding it, but I don't know where or if it is available online; it's not a recall, just a service issue.
    Good luck!
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    FWIW:

I called Ford to ask about stability control on the 2002 Explorer and they told me the availability date is November 5th. I don't know if that means the first build date or an estimate of when they will be on dealers lots. I assume that the Mountaineer is on about the same timetable.
  • cdavantcdavant Posts: 5
    I've had a 2002 EB on order since June--it's due soon. While my dealer assured me I'd be under invoice with my $750 repeat buyer credit when It shows up, I wonder what happens if Ford offers "customer cash" or rebates before it comes in. Should I expect incentives offered after I placed my order?

And I have a beautiful set of PIAA Dual 90 driving/fog lights that I can't see any place to install on the EB. I know it comes with fog lamps, but I've got the PIAAs already. Has anyone added lights to the EB? Is a grill guard an option, and has anyone installed a good looking grill guard on an EB or Mountaineer?

Thanks for any input

cdavant@pol.net
  • cdavant,

Any incentives that become available prior to delivery are good. The only thing I can think of that would change that is if an incentive stated specifically it could not be used with another offer. When we ordered our Exploder, Ford Credit had an interest rate of 6.9%. It dropped between the time we ordered it and when it was delivered, but we got the lower rate.
  • fiery1fiery1 Posts: 31
    Rear ended, and damage was minor. I was hit pretty darn hard this past weekend from behind, that "whump" sound will never leave my mind. I was in Santa Barbara on vacation and was sitting in heavy State Street traffic (it was fiesta weekend there much to our surprise) and all of a sudden, a 4Runner slammed me from behind. Thank God for that huge rear bumper and the impact protector under it. And, the tow hitch device! The bumper cover was gashed and the guy's license plate did a bit of damage to the plastic "step pad" at the top there, but the replacement for the entire bumper cover is only going to cost him $587.00 and we did settle this privately. He did a bit of damage to the front valance of his own car (it was a 96 4Runner 4wd) but needless to say, I felt relieved that the Mercury did so very well being rear ended at what I believe was a 15 mph impact. Dead on, too.
  • I got a mighty chuckle about your recent posts in the triplets forum. "Snailblazer, Convoy, Enchilada," that truly is funny. The triplets are no better than Ford in the number of recalls. They've had two as well. One for the center console and the other that required not even driving the vehicle for weeks on end. I'm with you, judging by the number of posts in that forum versus this one, one could surmise that the Fords are relatively trouble-free, save for a couple of well-publicized issues. When you read the triplets forum, there's a litany of issues. Air bladders exploding, mirrors pointing in every direction except the right one, not being able to get gas into the thing; not my idea of idyllic automobile ownership. One question, does anyone know when the telescoping wheel and memory pedals are going into production?
  • have a new 2002 white mountaineer for a about 4 weeks now and so far no problems and I take this truck to the heart of nyc everyday. the ride is ten times better than the 1999 I had. this one does not have the moon roof but I have the rear a/c and its cools the truck really fast. I looked at the gmc envoy but the dealers in n.y got a little crazy with the prices and couldn,t come close to what my merc dealer was offering me! and i think i made the right move! so far so good!
  • jmfreshour,

Thank you sir...may I have another. I always like to keep my audience riveted.

teo,

or is that geo, as in Metro or Prizm or Tracker, or whatever it is you drive?

Nice comeback dude. Quite frankly, I expected more from someone who wouldn't venture into the lowly Explorer boards. After all, there isn't any action in here. Why not go back to the GM triplet boards and find out how to correct the next problem you're destined to experience? He-he.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    which in this case is the MY2002 Explorer/Mountaineer.

Please leave the personal attacks out of your messages, and stick to discussing the vehicles.

Thank you,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • I currently have a '98 XLT Explorer - currently trying to decide whether to return for a 2002 Eddie or jump to a Nissan Pathfinder. The options list on the two are comparable but the Pathfinder ends up at approx $1,200 less with financing 3% lower (even taking into account the Ford loyalty rebate). Anyone out there face a similar decision - please share your thought process. Also, anyone who can provide a comparison between the '98 and '02 Explorer (drove the '02 briefly and the ride feels pretty stiff). Thanks in advance.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Personal attacks do not belong here in Town Hall. "Name calling" is also inappropriate for Town Hall as it violates our Terms of Use. Consequently, I have removed several posts.

"I agree to disagree in a civil manner should I take issue with the statements of another Town Hall participant or any Edmunds.com, Inc. Editor or content contributor. I understand that civility and respect underlie the success of an on-line community such as Town Hall."

If you have a disagreement with another member, please be respectful of their opinion even if you disagree with them. Please be mature and do not resort to name calling simply because you disagree with another member's viewpoint.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • I'm reposting as my email address was not correctly listed before...I'm still looking for some honest opinions...Thanks!
  • hungry2hungry2 Posts: 11
    I have had my 02 mountaineer for about a month now and for some reason it was built in April but was still on the lot in July (I'm still trying to figure out why, is something wrong with it or maybe cause it's a newer dealership?) This was th eonly one on the lot in a color we liked (Black) and without billions of options. SHould I assume they did any work necessary per the TSB's or should I ask?

I don't have homelink and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything great without it. Is it just a garage door opener? I was thinking about the steering wheel and wondering why I would want it telescoped out. Would that bring it closer to my chest and face and cause me more airbag injury risk?? I'm just trying to rationalize not trying to hold out longer for these options, but really I had no choice as my lease on my 98 mount was up.

Yes,for those who asked,the ride is better (still not a luxury car by any means) It feels slightly bigger, looks a lot bigger, the kids love the 3rd seat but miss the rear audio controls they had in the 98, and the neighbor's kids think it looks cool.

Thanks for listening. Any comments would be appreciated.
    One other question, somebody a few posts back (around # 276) mentioned that he rented an explorer that had no front headrests. My Mountaineer does. Is that an Explorer/Mountaineer difference or did they change that since he rented? I am always looking for the little differences between the two to justify the price of the Merc.
  • Good questions. The telescoping steering wheel allows for greater adjustments, therefore more comfortable driving positions. Think of it this way, if you had really long legs and really short arms, you could move the seat all the way back and then pull the steering wheel out. Accompanied with the adjustable pedals, the telescoping wheel allows a driver to sit farther away from the dash. My wife is 5'2" so these features are important to her. As far as the headrests go, Explorer XLTs and XLSs have the ridiculous all-one-piece seats. The Eddie Bauers, Limiteds, and the Mountaineers have adjustable headrests; a much safer arrangement in my opinion. When comparably equipped, the higher-end Mountaineer is actually cheaper than an Eddie Bauer or Limited. Enjoy your Mountaineer, it's a great vehicle.
  • I have a new 2002 Explorer XLS with 4wd and at 500 miles the service engine soon light is on. My manual mentions vehicle running out of fuel, poor fuel quality or water in the fuel, or the fuel cap not properly installed. I had approximately 1/4 of a tank of gas and filled with mid-grade (89 octane) and installed cap. Its now been 2 days, several trips, and 150 miles but the light is still on. Also, just found out a friend with the same vehicle had the light go on at 175 miles. Any others had this problem?
    OooOO my kinda guy. I could hear the sarcasm dripping! LOL! ::high 5::
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I'd have to agree with Mazman, Goldenjake with only 500 miles on a 2002, i'd be driving it into the dealership as soon as it came on the first time before theres a major breakdown.
    Now be nice kids, I think Goldenjake99 knows he should get it checked (benefit of the doubt here). He is just wondering if this is a problem that is out there with lots of the trucks, or if it is just his particular truck. Since I haven't hit 500 miles yet I would be interested to know if there is a problem I should watch for too.
  • Thanks hungry. That is exactly it and thanks mazman and fiery after your posts I drove directly to the dealership (I hadn't thought of that.) and was told if it didn't effect the driveability I could make an appointment for 2 weeks from now. Since warranty service is free I figured I'll wait until something serious happens and have them fix it.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    The dealership didn't even run any tests on the truck or nothing? they just told you to make an appt and they'll get you in two weeks later? I would have complained especially when it comes to being a new 2002 with 500 miles on it they should have kept it and gave you a loaner, in my opinion thats risking getting yourself stranded somewhere or making the problem much worse, I suppose maybe they'll just unscrew the service engine soon light bulb and call it good when you take it back in two weeks :)
    Two weeks? It may not affect CURRENT driveability but what about what the problem is right now? Meaning, what if you affect the long term car "essence" by not taking care of it right away?
    Find another Ford/Mercury dealer to bring it to right away.
  • How is everyone's gas mileage?
  • a36a36 Posts: 10
    When my 2WD XLT (V6)was 6 weeks old and at 535 miles we drove it from near Ft. Worth to Park City, UT. Admittedly this is not the time that
    fuel economy should be computed, but here are the
    results.

First of all this is not a high altitude car and
    an awful lot of these numbers are from altitudes
    of 5,000' and higher. The owners manual cautions
    you about buying the 85 octane fuel in high
    altitude locations, as a result almost all fuel
    is mid or premium grade. The 22.5 gallon tank
    makes it neccessary to buy fuel only twice a day
    on a trip like this - full at departure and one
    fill up at lunch - fillup at days end.
    677 miles on the first day (refueled in Amarillo)
    ended day at Pueblo, CO - 19.025 mpg.
    619 miles the second day (refueled in Rawlings,
    WY) refueled at intersection of I-80 and US40
    very near Park City (Park City is not a cheap
    place to buy fuel!) 20.365 mpg.
    Nearly all of this driving was at the speed limits of 65 to 75 mph. All across the plains
    of WY (elevations 6,000' to 8,000' ASL) the limit
    is 75 mph and that is what the cruise control was
    set on. For 1,312 miles (some local driving in TX was on the first tank) 66.022 gals. and an
    average 19.87 mpg.

A recent tank fillup that encompassed only 191.9
    miles (1/3 around town and the rest going down
    hill into Salt Lake and back up the hill to P/C)
    was 10.621 gals - 18.067 mpg. The vehicle has
    over 3,000 miles now and this was all COSTCO
    91 octane fuel.

Will write more when we return to TX at the
    begining of next month. That trip will be through the mountains of CO to intersect I-25
    south of Pueblo and will be an interesting
    comparison to the all interstate driving.
  • bordsource,

My wife's V8 2WD with tow pack is up to 16.5 in purely city driving. With every tank the thing has improved. It's up to 3500 miles now...probably going to level off, but I can live with that.
  • fsmasekfsmasek Posts: 14
    First, the telescoping wheel. I am 6 foot one inch and find it difficult to be comfortable in many vehicles mad for people with short legs. If i move the seat back far enough, I find my arms (which are not short), may be straight out, rather than bent slightly. A telescoping wheel solves such problems.

I have a V8 2WD Mountaineer on order and it will cost $1,200 LESS than an Explorer EB with the same equipment. Some earlier posts here alerted me to this advantage. The person who asked about the headrest diffrences probably rented a base Explorer. It seems Ford made a mistake, as the bass Explorer loks better than the XLT, EB, and Limited with their ugly lower body plastic pieces. If I had bought an Explorer, I would have removed the plastic parts and had base model bumpers painted and installed.
  • I ve recently also ordered a new Mountaineer since late JULY and still no truck. Is the truck in such demand or are they having ongoing delivery problems.

Has anyone experienced similar problems ?
  • fsmasekfsmasek Posts: 14
    First, I regret the many typos in my previous post. I ordered my Mountaineer on June 19. Today, the dealer told me that it was being shipped from Kansas City (they are made in Louisville, KY), and would probably arrive in two weeks. Given the normal summer break, and maybe additional break time due to weak demand, the delivery time does not seem abnormal. I have ordered about half of the cars I have purchased,
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Your Mountaineer was probably made in St Louis. I live in Lexington, Ky, but mine was shipped by rail from St. Louis. Bought it on May 31, and it took ten weeks from the order date. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't built in Louisville, but was just happy to get it.
  • rpashbyrpashby Posts: 3
    Our 2002 Mountaineer is a great vehicle. Compared to our previously owned 1990 Ford XLT and 1995 Eddie Bauer, this enhanced SUV provides more space, better gas mileage and most of all a softer ride. We have the V6 engine and live in Vermont were the roads are very hilly, yet we get excellent mileage. Seems to average 22 mpg and have got up to 25 mpg on one trip, that one was on a short trip over straight and flat terrain.

We love it except for the harsh/firm shifting. At 3,000 miles I brought it back to the Dealer for oil/filter change and explained how it would slam into gear so hard it felt we ran over someone
    or drove over a huge speed bump (doesn't do this all the time).

Service Mgr informed me that the transmission needs to learn how to shift and after it gets more miles on it it will get better. It's been 6,000 miles and it still hasn't learned. Brought it to another Dealer and got the same story but, they said they would contact Ford to see if there is a solution.

Anyone having the same experience? If so, let me know if you found a Dealer that cured the problem and how they did it?

I had read were the contol module can be re-programed but, my Dealer knows nothing about that fix.

Thank you