Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• campinutcampinut Posts: 8
    Thats curious in Anchorage. I wonder if altittude may change things being I live in Kentucky. A friend of mine has a 2000 Explorer with a V8 and gets 18 at best and another friend has a 99' Explorer V6 and gets 23 at best. I do not know of anyone with an Escape. I also wonder if the dfferent MPG could also be due to weight difference on the Explorer after the new body style in 2001. Can I get more input?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    As I've mentioned in the past, the 4.0L SOHC V6 in the Explorer is a crude gas hog that might allow for the 4.6L V8 to post better fuel economy numbers. Trick to the 4.0L, keep the revolutions under 2000RPM...anything over will dramatically worsen the fuel mileage estimates.

Prior to the new Mustang receiving this 4.0L, I thought maybe it was just the bulk of the Explorer that made the engine post such horrible fuel mileage estimates...And considering my numerous testing with a new Mustang with the 4.0L, I can tell you it's just as bad. I was able to post 18MPG and that was with the A/C off and keeping the revolutions under 2000RPM.

This is one of those senarios where opting for the larger engine, might be more economical...amazingly.
  • mystiquemystique Posts: 24
    Thinking about getting a 4x2 for better gas mileage. Anyone know how they go in the snow/rain etc. Its a heavy vehicle so i figured it might be good still.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I don't know where to start here.

First of all, The Explorer is a vehicle that weighs over 4,500 pounds. The Expedition (in two wheel drive) weighs just 900 pounds more. How much mpg do you think a vehicle this heavy should get? My wife's '02 Explorer (2wd-4.0-XLT w/ SOHC) gets 14 in the city and will consistently get right at 20 mpg on the highway if you stay under 75mph. I don't know about you...but any vehicle that gets 20 mpg on the highway that weighs 4,500 pounds seems pretty good to me! AS mentioned here in previous posts, the V8 will not post BETTER NUMBERS, but just about TWO MPG LESS! BTW, I have 40,000 trouble free miles on this "crude V6". (Motor-wise anyway!)
  • mystiquemystique Posts: 24
    Great thanks, I do mostly highway driving so 4 wheel drive doesn't make all that much sense. I am seriously considering the new 06' with RWD and the V8 6speed combo. I figured that it should be pretty good in the snow and the fact that most streets are plowed reasonably well after storms makes it more sense for me.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Chuck,

I'm with you in questioning the statements made.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    What say you, oh wise one, of a 2001 Ford Escape? I know they haven't been very reliable, but would it be worth it for the extra couple of MPG? The Exploder is getting 13.5 city 17 highway. I think the V6 Escape is rated at what, 18/20? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just a thought. Found a nice one at a nice price, not seriously considering it but considering nonetheless.
    "AS mentioned here in previous posts, the V8 will not post BETTER NUMBERS, but just about TWO MPG LESS! BTW, I have 40,000 trouble free miles on this "crude V6". "

Considering I have the equipment to not only test it, but also program various codes for improvements of various items (fuel economy being one), I can tell you the V8 will post better numbers if driven the same way. As I mentioned, bringing the V6 over 2000RPM's will worsen the issue. Not that it's necessary since that V6 is able to sport 90% of it's torque at that RPM.

At 75MPH revving around 3200RPM, I'm looking at 15-17MPG, and at 95 (speed governing kicks in at 98) your looking at 3600RPM posting around 11-13MPG.

This with the 3:73 Axle ratio, on an Explorer Limited 4x2.

This same engine in the new Mustang V6, 2500RPM at 75MPH (less effort due to it's aerodynamic shape) showing 20MPG with 3200 coming in at 95MPH getting 16MPG at that range, and at 110 it drops to 10MPG when hitting 3500-3600RPM.

Anytime a downshift is required into a lower gear and your hitting 5000RPM, just let go of the accelerator because it's just sucking wind and getting you no where, 3000RPM is the sweet spot where most of the downshift should take you to. Although unfortunately for the Mustang, the processor is much slower and programmed differently, therefore it'll downshift you into the 4000RPM range (where you must hope it'll upshift one gear and give you a 3000RPM upshift). Hopefully a TSB will cure the delayed downshift/upshift thrash that some might notice.

From what I have seen and expericed, the only range where the V6 becomes "economical" over the V8 is at the 55-65MPH range, and that won't stay around much with the new 6Speed for this years Explorer which is posting better figures in that range.
    "Considering I have the equipment to not only test it, but also program various codes for improvements of various items (fuel economy being one), I can tell you the V8 will post better numbers if driven the same way. As I mentioned, bringing the V6 over 2000RPM's will worsen the issue. Not that it's necessary since that V6 is able to sport 90% of it's torque at that RPM."

Maybe your right. The only thing is, that it is NOT THE EXPERIENCE of those who post here. Maybe it's the mentality of - "I have a V8" and those who do may possibly be a more aggressive driver. The only thing I know is in regards to the V6 is that I have two and one-half years of "real world" ownership experience. The motor has been trouble free. Yes, I have had issues-the transmission solenoid, a slight rear end whine. It's been nothing like the '99 Suburban which I paid 30K for that was an absolute nightmare!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You guys should lighten up on ANT - you don't know who you are talking to there...... :) I'm just saying...........
    I think the Escape is a dandy little SUV - I'd stay way from the first year out, they had some teething issues, but other than that, they're plenty reliable to great. I hope it's the V-6, cause they're fun.
  • Chuck1
    You may have a valid point here! He keeps talking about "keeping it under 2000 rpm" and you implied that the V8 drivers may be more agressive drivers. That may very well be true in a lot of cases, as I am a V8 driver and the only time my V8 is under 2000 rpm is when it is off or idling at a light, other than that it is floor it! I do mostly city driving and I get 14 in the city and 18 on the road, and that's good enough for me! :)
    Yes, well at what you stated......you are getting only about 1 less miles-per-gallon city and two less miles-per-gallon highway than the V6. All I know is that you can't duplicate what happens on the road with what goes on in a lab. I know, I am in industrial sales and I send samples back to my lab all the time, while they are very good at analyzing issues, they can't duplicate the conditions on the piece of equipment the samples come from.....
  • campinutcampinut Posts: 8
    To Chuck1 and ANT,
    Didnt mean to get folks riled up. All had very good points. My next question (to any one if you know) Where can I find aftermarket performance parts for the Explorer. New and older ones, say 1998 and up. Lookin for chips or even turbo if they make it for the Explorer. Just let me say .... not tryin to race it just curious. Any help or tips welcome .......... Thanx
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    Let's just keep focused on the cars and folks won't have reason to get too riled up with each other. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Yes, it's an XLT V6, but it is an '01. I'm going to look at it today, but like you, I also wonder about the first year issues. I've seen some '02's with similar miles for a little more, so if I decide that I like it, I may shop around. I still haven't located the antifreeze leak on the orange explorer, but it continues to lose antifreeze. The reason I am even considering the Escape I found is because of it's price, and mileage. It has 46k miles and they're asking $12,9. I've had the Explorer appraised at $7,0 and with a payoff of around $6,0 it should bring it down into my comfort zone for payments. But once again, just considering, not serious. Thanks for the info!
    The 4.0L isn't unreliable in any way (except some cracked mani-folds one year, long ago... but that's just an added component otherwise), in fact the engine is quite economically feasable to build in relation to the new 3.5L coming up (hint). But the term "crude" relates to noises caused by added components, not much from the actual engine itself. Although it does have much higher NVH noises/levels, than any other Ford OHC engine (the 3.8L being the top winner in that case, urrrr).

The engine won't be around much (for the above mentioned issue), the 3.5L will phase-out the majority of current Ford V6's (Vulcan 3.0L being the first, then 3.8L, 4.2L by 2008)...the 3.0L Duratec will stay for a long time.

BTW, the 3.5L Duratec35 is not a bored/stroke version of the Duratec30. It's actually a whole new engine overall, with a new block as well... Only thing carried over is some of the initial design tweaks and details, and that's very little of it's own.
    "The engine won't be around much (for the above mentioned issue), the 3.5L will phase-out the majority of current Ford V6's (Vulcan 3.0L being the first, then 3.8L, 4.2L by 2008)...the 3.0L Duratec will stay for a long time."

So, ANT, in the timeline you gave above, when does the Cologne 4.0L ride into the sunset? :confuse:
    An exact date hasn't yet been determined, and maximizing it's use is important as well, and economically feasable. Therefore, when the Duratec35 is in full swing, and the initial developmental costs have been amortized from placing this engine in use for awhile, would weigh into when exactly the Cologne V6 get killed. So in other words, maybe 4-5 years. I can tell you definately, this engine won't make it into the next decade.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    I have a 2004 Mountaineer Luxury AWD with a V-8. Started noticing a chirping or squeaking sound every time the A/C cycled on and off that first spring after we bought it. The dealer has changed the compressor which didn't stop it. Took it back and they re-gapped the clutch in the A/C which again didn't work. I've since taken it back two times complaining about this loud annoying sound as recently as three weeks ago. They either don't have a clue what's causing it or they know and don't want to fix it. They claim they haven't had any other complaints about this problem. Has anyone out there with an Mountaineer or Explorer with this same engine had this problem?