Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Having just bought an 05 Taurus, I'm glad to hear that. But I think you're wrong - and trolling here........
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    Nevermind anyone saying it looks like a Taurus (even though I like how the Taurus looks). It's more like a lean and low Explorer which is a nice thing. If Ford can make it reliable and satisfying to drive, they could have a winner. Ford is pretty good at pulling something outta their hat when against the wall. . .Taurus in the 80's, Explorer in the 90's. Freestyle could be just the right blend of SUV and sedan (kinda like the RX was for Lexus). I'm seeing a bunch of these relatively new vehicles around town. There aren't many cars (these days) for which I twist my neck to get a better look. Among them are the Chrysler 300 (don't want a sedan but if I did. . .), the Dodge Magnum wagon (pushing the limits but may be on the mark), Nissan Z (totally useless but very handsome), and the Ford Freestyle (Ford hit the target visually if the car works mechanically). Shallow as it is, the public rushes to buy a handsome car, and ditches them just as quickly if they don't do the job. Hope this one works for Ford. I will check it out in my 24 month cycle. Love how they look.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    As an '02 Explorer owner, I am very disappointed on the "looks" of the freestyle. Is it just me....or does it look like a mini-Explorer? Not that it is a "bad thing". However, the Explorer is coming out as a new design in '06. And it is my understanding that the 500 got such lukewarm reaction that a "refreshing" was immediately ordered and will be out next. I don't know where the Ford designers are, (maybe out to lunch) but Chrysler has left them in the dust! :confuse:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Have you seen the actual photos of the 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer? What about the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr? How about the Mustang? The Fusion and Exploer show the new look of Ford, and the Montego, Mountaineer, and Milan the new Mercury look. Both looks are more classy and sophisticated than many competitors, and the Ford interiors are much nicer than the plain, even cheap interiors some of the others are now selling.
    I agree with everything you said......What happened with the Freestyle? :confuse: Also, the 500 and Focus? The Focus when it first came out, looked "cutting edge." Then they "squared it out" to look as boring as the 500. So three of the models IMHO, are extremely boring!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,983
    Here's a diversion for y'all:

What's the point in designing ugly cars?

Now back to the Explorer/Mountaineer?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Chrysler and Nissan have the artists today, for sure. Ford is going for a "corporate recognition" look, DNA if you will. And I sort of like it, but they could jazz it up a bit.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    It's just you. It looks NOTHING like a mini-Explorer except for the blue oval. It looks like a Taurus station wagon.
    Daryl,
    That's a BRILLIANT observation! :cry:
  • bjohnrinibjohnrini Posts: 3
    2004 Mercury Mountaineer

Does anyone know if I have a device (gps unit - RM300) plugged into the power plug and have the unit turned off, does it drain any battery power? there is a green light on the cord of the device that always stays green? I was wondering if this is drawing any power?

Also, does anyone know of anyway to stop the power plug from providing power when the vehicle is turned off? I would rather have my gps turn on when I turn my vehicle on and turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Thanks
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    i would leave the gps unit on, then check it about an hour later. i think you will have your answer.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    green pilot light is on, at least you know that the line is live with voltage...now, if I put a radio on the wire, but the radio is off, then the line is live, but the radio is off, so no power drain (altho the pilot light itself is a tiny drain on the battery...if left like that in an airport for six weeks, you could return to a dead battery)

I would unplug the cord, or stick it into a power outlet that is connected to the ignition switch, rather than a live plug 24/7...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Teh always live cigarette lighter (power point) is one of the best features of Ford vehicles. I want it that way. For example,I want my cell phone to charge when the car is off, not just when it is on.

The tiny amount of power going to the turned-off GPS unit would be an issue only if you had the car parked for a long time.
  • bjohnrinibjohnrini Posts: 3
    >>The tiny amount of power going to the turned-off GPS unit would be an issue only if you had the car parked for a long time.

And what exactly is considered a long time?

>>I would unplug the cord, or stick it into a power outlet that is connected to the ignition switch, rather than a live plug 24/7...

How would I go about connecting it to the ignition switch?

Thanks
  • midas72midas72 Posts: 18
    Bought a 2003 XLT last night with 26k miles :) Salesman bumped the certified warranty to cover 55 more components and I kicked in another $320 to cover 29 more like power window regulators etc. It is a V6 with sunroof, rear air, adjustable pedals, skipped the 3rd row. I think I got a good deal -- $19,800 before tax and title.
    and a good decision too. On the 03, you get a little known added bonus also - your spare is mounted on a matching Alloy wheel - not a black steel wheel, allowing you to integrate your spare into the tire rotation. Only the 03's have that.
  • midas72midas72 Posts: 18
    Thanks -- did not know that! Haven't finished going through the owner's manual yet. In the end, I could not find an '04 that wasn't a rental with the options I wanted. So even though I wanted the extra secuirty features from 2004, I went with the '03.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    i didn't know if the power point shut off after time, like the interior and puddle lights lights, etc...
    It doesn't, but unless you have a refrigerator plugged into it, it won't kill your battery. Charging a phone or something takes no power from a battery of that size.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    Not to throw rain on your parade, but you paid 20 grand for a 3 year old vehicle. A BRAND NEW XLT can be had for $27,000 or so after all the rebates. Although that's about 35% more cash upfront, the miles-per-car would have been cheaper on the brand new vehicle.