Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Before you get all excited about gas prices, consider that if you drive 12k a year in a vehicle that gets 20mpg, your annual fuel cost at $3.50 a gallon are $2,100. If gas is $3.00 a gallon you would pay $1,800. only $300 in savings. If gas got down to $2.00 a gallon you would be paying $1,200. Only a $900 savings or less than $20.00 a week. Are alot of people willing to pay $20 a week to drive the kind of vehicle they want or need to drive? Most likely.

Most people who buy Explorers, based on Ford research, choose this vehicle because it works best with some aspect of their life style, for instance they take long road trips with the family. They tow a boat/camper on the weekends. They take the family skiing.

Alot of people are still going to purchase this kind of truck. Will SUV sales slow? Sure, but its going to be the weak SUVs that suffer, not the strong. The 06 Explorer is the most capable SUV on the Market.

Mark
  • Bullseye, Mark!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Right on, Mark!
  • I just bought this vehicle last week. It has a keypad on the driver's side door, but the seller did not know the combination. I was told by Mercury to look for the combination on the vehicle's computer, but I don't know where the computer is. Does anyone know if I can do this myself without going to the dealer? Thanks. :confuse:
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    to look on the vehicle's computer probably means to bring your car to the dealer and they will get the code for you off the car's computer. you can also call ford customer service and give them the VIN and they should be able to give you the code after verifying that you're the owner of the car.
    The computer is in the back, I believe, behind a panel. Wish I could remëmber which side. There should be a white sticker with 5 black nümbers on it. Your permanent code.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Actually, if you get a flash light, look up under the dash around the steering column. If the code is there you'll see a sticker on a lil' black box thingy.

Ford no longer puts the codes on the vehicle though so you might not have it. Either way, your dealer can retreive it from the computer for you.

Mark.
  • I saw an '04 Limited yesterday at the Ford dealer. $44,000 sticker for a loaded-to-the-gills machine including NAV and DVD. Some nice improvements over the old machine but it was nothing spectacular. I guess if you back out the DVD and NAV the price would be about the same $38,000 sticker (I paid $33,000) that was on my '03 Mountaineer Premier. bot 3 years ago this week. Nevertheless, I can't imagine anyone forking over 40 grand for an Explorer, especially with gas prices uncertain. But as mid-sized SUVs go, it does appear to be the design leader again. It will be interesting to see how high the rebates have to go before they can move volumes.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    for a 04 model, I would think the dealer would have done anything possible to get rid of it today, LOL. How about family pricing plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus :P $16k out the door!
  • Hi guys, I am still in search of my Mountaineer and I getting a deal from 2 different dealers One is offering me either 2002 black/leather AWD Mountaineer with about 48660 mileage and/or an white/tan leather Explorer for $15500.00 including taxes, fees everything. Another dealer started me at &17990 and now is offering me a White/upfolsery seats Mountaineer with 55450 mileage for $13990+ taxes and fees which is $15575.62 in total....what do you think....I have $15000 in a check to purchase as a cash buyer...are these good deals or should I wait for something better in the line?
    Please helpppppp!!!!
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    If you can't buy a Ford backed warranty with either one of these vehicle, I would run the other way. If I understand the warranty situation correctly, both of these vehicle have too many miles to qualify for a (Ford) warranty. There are far too many "lingering issues" to buy these used without a warranty. Some of these are: bad rear ends, bad transmission solenoids, bad power window motors, the transmission needing a reflash is common.

Remember- a used car (Or SUV) was traded in for a reason. Why did the previous owner get rid of it?
  • Thank you Chuck1 you are the BEST!
  • Oops! I must be brain dead. I subtracted a year (from the current '05 model) instead of adding. I MEANT to say that I saw the '06 Explorer, and reviewed it above! Oops!
    With all due respect to our friend chuck1, I take some issue with his concern over a used car. I have bought and delivered hundreds of used cars at the Manheim auctions, and never had a bad one - many of them have been Explorers & Mountaineers. They're not all bad, in fact the vast majority of them are very good. Occasionally, there is a clunker out there, and boy do you hear about it here, because that's what this board is for. My 2002 Mountaineer had one repair on it - a squeaky idler arm pully, and it had the cracked liftgate thingy. That's it. But it's in the used car lot now, because the wife wanted an 04. That was because she loved her 02 so much, which she wanted because she loved her 98 so much, which she bought because she loved my 97, which I bought because I loved our 94. See the point? I've never had a bad one, and the 94 was bought used. The rest were new.

Another thing. I'm not saying the extended warranty is always bad - but it's likely to cost you $2000 or so. If you have $2000 to spend for the warranty, you can handle a pretty hefty repair, which is why you are buying the warranty. So, I don't agree with chuck1 that you shouldn't buy a used Explorer without an extended warranty. It's a crap shoot. If you get a bad truck, then he's right. But if you don't, you'll waste the money. Which is how the warranty companies make their money.

Anyway, that's how I feel. For the money, the Explorer/Mountaineer is the best SUV on the market, and damn good at that. You can pay more for a 4-runner, and it's probably going to last longer without issues, but it's not even close to as good an overall design, very trucky and hard to drive by comparison.
    Ok, spring - here's some hard core numbers for you. Manheim auctions sold 179 Mountaineers nationwide last week. At 55,000 miles, they went for about $11,000, assuming your prospect is AWD and a 4.0L six. (You didn't specify). Your dealer is making PLENTY of markup on that White one he's offering you at $14,000 in my opinion. Tell him you'll give him $12,500 for it (plus tax & fees of course) period. He'll still make $1500 on the car, unless he paid too much for it, which shouldn't be your problem. That's what I'd do. If you lived closer, I could buy you one out of the auction just like it for $11,000.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I take some issue with his concern over a used car. I have bought and delivered hundreds of used cars at the Manheim auctions, and never had a bad one - many of them have been Explorers & Mountaineers."

NVBanker,
    As I think you may be aware-I purchased a NEW Explorer in '02, and experienced EVERYONE of the problems I mentioned. (And other problems I didn't mentioned.) You know my new 4Runner doesn't have a rear end that whines between 55 and 60mph? Imagine that!! :shades:

The repair for the rear-end out of warranty I hear is around $1,800.00 You can buy a Ford backed warranty for that on the net that covers the powertrain. I did just that, and got over a $500.00 refund when I traded it in and notified the dealer who sold me the warranty (a dealer over the net) that I nolonger owned this vehicle. With all due respect, I disagree with you. To buy one of these used without a warranty is foolhardy! IMHO!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    nv... my GUESS is that spring25 told the dealers they had 15k in hand. how much do you think a vehicle is then going to cost them? ;)
  • I have an '03 Mountaineer that was bot in Sept, '02 so it's an early ;'03. Just hitting 40,000 miles and only had 1 (warranty) repair...a leaking strut (and I am not even sure if that was the truth...perhaps the dealer was just "looking" for a way to milk the warranty as it was near 36,000 when he "happened' to find that). And the driver's seat "leather" isn't holding up too well.

Other than that, this has been the best Ford product we've ever had and that is over 20. The paint still looks like new, the ride is fine and the mileage does hurt at $3/gallon, but for the size of the vehicle it's as fuel efficient as the competition.

And at 3 years, LOTS of people trade just to trade. It doesn't mean anything is wrong as implied above. I would not be afraid to buy a used one of these puppies.
  • thank you very much for your opinion, yes you are right, the Moutaineer is AWD and 4.0l six and I am offering him $15000 with everything including, the SUV price and tax & fees but he doesnt want to give me for less thant $15575 and it is not even Leather seats or sunroof or all that kind of stuff, My loan is going to expire on 09/24/05 and all these dealers want to make too much money in all their SUV, do you think is a bad deal I am offering him $15000 for a 55,000+ miles Moutaineer?
  • No when I went to the dealer I didn't tell the guy what I have, I let him show me and gave him a price range, he asked me if I was financing the SUV either through them or another bank, I just told him, let see what you have to offer me, so we took it from there...whe he started giving me numbers like $179990 for 2002 Moutaineer with 55,000+ miles then I told him it was too much then he went down to $16789, then to $15990 and then finally $13990 but with tax & fees he said I have to pay $15575.63 and that is when I took my check out and told him $15000 with everything including and we can close the deal right now, he said that I needed to pay taxes and stuff and seriusly I think I can do better, yesterday I was checking again some dealers online and I found another Moutaineer with less miles on it and leather seats and the dealer starting price is $16789 so if I got this guy going down from $179990 to $139990 (well technically $15575) then don't you think I can get this other guy go down until I have my deal of $15000 with all?