Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ah, yes, I believe I did as well. It may be the best Explorer yet - I haven't driven one - but style wise - I don't see much if any improvement.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    place "The Grass House"

And two demerits for the first person offering admonishments to people who live in them! :)

tidester, host
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    AWD V8 Luxury 7-passenger

Just turned over 1,000 miles. More than 250 of this on NASTY dirt/mountain roads. 45-50 MPH over washboard surfaces. Descending & ascending gnarly, twisty, rutted, rocky grades at 5 MPH. Still no rattles. AWD needed at times, and works great.

Nav. guidance voice still sounds like Lilith (Frazer's ex-wife) gargling. Street name spoken way too rapidly.

Location of the Nav. screen above the climate control registers is a subtle but significant safety factor because it's now at the same level as the instruments, and much closer to the line of sight to the road.

Getting adjusted to inside door handles, but still not happy with them.

Tongue-depressor fix for overdrive button location is essential if a person uses it much. I use it often for engine braking on highway downgrades.

Another wart is the lack of a "Cancel" button for the speed control. The only way to disengage it without losing the speed setting is to tap the brake pedal ... and it requires a firm tap. My '03 Lincoln LS had "Cancel", as well as my '06 Mazda 3. It should be easy to make the "Resume" button dual-mode.

Getting compliments on the styling from pre-teen boys, and young-married folks. My color is Cashmere ... VERY dusty at the moment.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This post is completely wrong and the person who wrote it does not understand leasing.

When you turn in a lease EARLY, you are still responsible for ALL OUTSTANDING LEASE PAYMENTS.

In rare instances, the trade in value the lease vehicle will exceed the buyout on the lease. The buy out equals ALL REMAINING PAYMENTS and the RESIDUAL VALUE or PURCHASE OPTION of the lease. This only happens if the vehicle mileage is a lot lower than typical.

Most leases are calculated at 12k miles per year. Obviously, for your friend to be at 27k in 20 months, he is SUBSTANTIALLY OVER MILES which really accelerates the depreciation.

In regard to the price on the Sonata please keep in mind that ultimately it is the person who buys a car that determines its price. The price will reflect supply and demand. FL is a different market from CT with maybe more supply and/or less demand, hence the different price.

Not all auto sales people are not out to screw people over, they are trying to make a living too. Must auto sales people are trying to form a relationship that will lead to repeat business.

Mark
  • My wife are expecting our third child in March and need to go from our current Jeep Liberty to a larger vehicle. Other kids are 5 and 2 1/2. We are anti-minivan, and really like the looks and ride of the Mountaineer, and its a great value with current sales, but a little concerned about practicality. Love to hear from anyone out there who has a Mountaineer with more than two kids on the younger side. Thanks.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    You have very right to be concerned about practicality. With the 3rd seat up in the Mountaineer, there is no room for things you need for little ones. And believe me, you would want one of the little ones (probably the 5 year old) to sit in the 3rd seat, especially on long trips. Then there is no-room for luggage for those long trips. You or your spouse CANNOT access the 2nd and third rows without stopping the vehicle. You can in a mini-van. If you still want a SUV, you need to take a look at something larger, like an Expedition or Suburban. However, IMHO you be much better off in a Toyota or Honda mini van. And I won't even get into resale value.....
    Then there is gas mpg to be concerned with. This of course is not to mention that this is FORDS FIRST YEAR of a new redesign. Their reputation is less than stellar on new models. I came out of an '02 Explorer with rear-end and issues with the transmission solenoid. I traded it in with 46K on the clock for a 4Runner. Let us know what you decide. Will practicality be more important than "appearance?"
    Chuck is a known cynic here. His experience wasn't so great. We have had 1 Explorer and 4 Mountaineers, currently have an 04 Premier V8-AWD. What Chuck said about luggage room is correct generally. At least on the long trips, you may need a luggage carrier on the roof, and that will eat up your mileage. An Expedition would do better. As for Ford's new vehicle reputation - I disagree, and cite the introduction of the newest F-150,F-250 series - a flawless introduction. One can have a lemon anywhere. The new Mountaineer carries over their engines, and running gear, so I wouldn't be afraid of one.

Toyota has great products as well, but they are different in their characteristics, and less evolved in design - more old school.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Hey, I just have the greatest admiration for you for traipsing around this long with 2 kids and 2 parents in a LIBERTY... ;) :shades: ;)
    "Chuck is a known cynic here. His experience wasn't so great."

NV, I felt I gave an accurate appraisal of the cons of the Explorer which you agreed with. Me being a cynic, I feel is not a necessary part of this conversation.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "This of course is not to mention that this is FORDS FIRST YEAR of a new redesign. Their reputation is less than stellar on new models."

The Ford 500/Mercury Montego, both being newly engineered models, were built at a newly remodeled Ford plant, and have experienced no first year issues. If anything, it was one of the top 3 vehicles rated by JDPower's for initial quality...behind the Grand Marquis, and Buick LaSabre...didn't see the newly designed Avalon on that list heh...

The Freestyle itself, built in the same factory as the above mentioned vehicles, also had no issues come up on it's first year build.

The Mustang, another newly engineered vehicle was also built in a newly remodeled plant, was rated in the top 3 in initial quality by JDPower's with no first year issues.

The newly re-engineered Ford F-150, had it's introduction, with no recalls in it's first year.

The re-engineered Super Duty F-series, also debuted with no issues.

Etc.etc.
    "The Ford 500/Mercury Montego, both being newly engineered models, were built at a newly remodeled Ford plant, and have experienced no first year issues."

C'mon ANT! Your saying there have been NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER??

(SEE BELOW)
    Quality Woes Plague Five Hundred, Freestyle and
    Montego Launch"
    September 28, 2004

Given that these models were launched (JOB1) on August
    10th at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP), and were
    originally slated for shipment on August 23rd, dealers
    were expecting larger stock levels by now. However,
    shipments of these early units were halted with
    quality concerns, though many have since been cleared
    to leave the plant following inspections and repairs,
    though only at a trickle.

Internal Ford Motor Company documents recently
    furnished to a well known Ford enthusiast site,
    indicates that there are serious quality issues with
    the early-build Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle and
    Mercury Montego models. While the documents detail
    everything from build costs to assembly concerns, the
    most troubling area that these documents detail are a
    high number of quality issues plaguing the D3 platform
    vehicles.

According to the documents, these early D3s have
    possibly suffered from one or more of sixty-five (65)
    quality concerns, from defective platforms to faulty
    CVT gearbox and paint quality problems. In addition,
    employees at the Chicago assembly plant have been
    voicing their concerns on the message boards of the
    Ford enthusiast site since September 25, 2004.
    However, according to the source, the sheer number and
    serious nature of several of these problems is
    abnormally high, and potentially cause for
    consternation, particularly for buyers of
    early-production Five Hundred, Freestyle and Montego
    models.

For a company that has already been stung in the press
    and the court of public opinion for a high number of
    recalls and perceived quality lapses, fundamental
    component concerns like the quality of Ford's CVT
    transmissions have Dearborn executives and company
    loyalists alike reaching for the antacid.
    Sorry, Chuck1. I apologize. I didn't mean to offend. NV
    Apology accepted!
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Hey Chuck, I have an early build Freestyle, and I haven't seen any of those 65 problems you mentioned. Looks like they got it right by holding the release until all was ready to go. In fact the Freestyle might be the answer to what they are looking for. More luggage room when the 3rd row is up, or use the 2nd row bench version to allow for lots of room in back, and it's also built on the same chassis as the 500 which got the highest rating and a Gold pick by the IIHS in the most recent crash tests.
    "In fact the Freestyle might be the answer to what they are looking for."

While the Freestyle is about the same size as an Explorer, it really sounds like they need something larger than both of these vehicles. Who wants "three little ones" sitting three abreast, especially on long trips.... and then there is the luggage, stroller, baby bag, etc. issues.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    The thifd seat folds 50:50, so the vehicle will accomodate the kids & some luggage. Also, the 60:40 second seat allows two passengers & luggage.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Freestyle is about a foot longer than an Explorer.

You still won't have enough luggage room on long trips.

Mark
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    All cars have issues, the issues that the 500/Montego/FS might have had, are not large enough to dignify a recall. Hence, it's not an issue. As in issue, I'm talking about the general build of a vehicle, with known problems that can cause a cocern to warrant a recall. Or one, where it's just "known" that a particular vehicle possesses a certain inherant problem.

Some examples...Hondas CRV's fires related to leaking oil onto a hot component in the engine bay. Toyota has it's engine sludge problem on the 3.0L V6, transmission failures on it's Aisin AW units, faulty rear lightbulbs. GM has the OHV piston-slap ticking problems in it's Vortec V8's.

The above stated are examples that have not prompted the manufacturer to issue a recall, but it's "an issue" to look out for.

On the above stated article (which I'm quite familiar in more ways than one), those were units that were built, under "build and hold". The article was released for the authors "gloom and doom" senario of the week. He fails to mention that this same senario takes place with all new vehicle launches, by ALL manufacturer's, even Toyotas. (And I even discussed that here, at the time it was published).

Six Sigma combed over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and made sure that anything that wasn't perfect, would be held and rectified before release. It's like viewing a home your about to purchase, and the inspector gives you a list of things he had a problem with, yet the list was compiled as if were problems across the line...NOT specific unit related like it originally should have been.

This is a normal procedure for all newly engineered vehicles.

A recall was recently released a few weeks ago under: 05V515000 which pertained to a strap that could corrode, for the fuel tank bladder. This is something otherwise unsuspecting and not something a customer would complaint about, rather, the supplier altered the part in a way that didn't meet Ford's criteria, therefore Ford issued a recall for it.

As for issues that are driven by customer complaints, there hasn't been any really to substantiate investigating by NHTSA for a recall.

The fact remains that 500/MGO/FS were surveyed by JDPower, and rated in the top 3 of it's segment on Initial Quality. Hence, the majority of the issues were ironed out prior to the vehicles being shipped. Granted, there's always some that will develop the issue after the customer has bought the vehicle.
  • littlezlittlez Posts: 167
    gorathlives:

My wife and I just bought a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x2. Great new interior, 50/50 split-fold third row seat (you can get power-fold), easier access to the third row by flattening the second row seat closer to the floor, great ride and handling, Roll Stability Control, etc. We have two young children, but my 7-year old is always having friends over, so the third row is used quite a bit. Plenty of room for the kids and plenty of cupholders. Anyone who says the third row seat is cramped needs to sit in other third row seats in this segment. We did and we felt like it had the most room.

I heard the 2006 Mountaineer has all the underpinnings of the 2005 Lincoln Aviator. I drove one for a year. Great vehicle, too. If the 2006 Mountaineer rides anything like the Aviator, it's got to be a winner, also.
    "The third seat folds 50:50, so the vehicle will accomodate the kids & some luggage. Also, the 60:40 second seat allows two passengers & luggage."

Yes, two CHILDREN IN THE MIDDLE SEAT AND ONE IN THE THIRD. And the 3rd seat folding in half is of no use if someone sits back there (even a child) because it is CONFINING! You want the kids NOT TO SIT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ESPECIALLY ON LONG TRIPS!! (Yikes!)