Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Does anyone have any idea when Ford will be offering Control Trac stability control for Explorers and Mountaineers?
  • rshinnrshinn Posts: 5
    I looked at 2002 Explorers at Portsmouth Ford
    in Portsmouth, NH today. They had a very good
    selection (15-20) and they were discount priced.
    $2500-3500 off MSRP depending on model. No haggle
    dealership. I think I'll wait for the V-8 and
    stability control.
  • I wrote control trac...it is really called advance trac...the ford stability control system.

i d like to know if anyone knows or has any idea when will it be available...will it be available on 2002..or in future years..I d like to get my mountaineer before the end of this year.
  • I was reading the Ford news on www.blueovalnews.com earlier - looks like the new Explorer may have a recall coming soon - not good! It said they were having reports of the back tailgate glass breaking when the door was being shut. Anybody else heard this news other than from the Blue Oval News site?
  • elemelem Posts: 1
    AFTER A MONTH OF RESEARCH, COMPARISONS, AND AGONY, I FINALLY DECIDED ON THE 02 MOUNTAINEER. I TEST DROVE THE ACURA, FORD EXPLORER AND 01 MITSUBISHI MONTERO. I WAS LOOKING FOR A V-6 WITH THE THIRD ROW SEAT SO THE DURANGO WAS OUT. I FOUND AS PWASH WROTE, YOU DEFINITELY GET MORE FOR YOUR MONEY OVERALL AND ESPECIALLY WHEN COMPARED TO THE HIGHER LEVEL EXPLORER. THE PROBLEM IS, THE EXPLORERS AND MOUNTAINEERS ARE LIMITED IN STOCK AND UNLESS YOU HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME TO WAIT FOR ONE TO BE ORDERED, YOU MAY HAVE A TOUGH TIME AS I DID FINDING ONE THATS NOT FULLY LOADED (MOST ARE COMING IN WITH MOON ROOF, 6CD CHANGER, AND SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS) FEATURES WHICH I Didn't REALLY WANT. THANKS TO THE WEB, I WAS PRETTY WELL PREPARED AND DEFINITELY HAD MORE INFORMATION THAN MOST OF THE SALES PEOPLE I DEALT WITH. THE DEALER I ENDED UP GETTING IT FROM JERKED ME AROUND A BIT TRYING SO HARD TO "LOCATE" THE VEHICLE FOR ME. WHEN I EXPLAINED HOW HE DINT EVEN HAVE TO SELL ME THE CAR JUST ARRANGE FOR ME TO PURCHASE IT HE QUIETED DOWN. I THINK I GOT A DECENT PRICE ANYWAY. HOPEFULLY I WONT REGRET MY CHOICE!
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Ford said several months ago that it would be an option mid year on the 2002 Explorer, but they did not repeat that in latest press release on pricing. Don't know if that means delay or just not high enough priority to make the release.
  • tractiontraction Posts: 141
    I ran across this article on the web. Ford already has 100,000 orders for the Explorer, not sure how many orders for the Mountaineer.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=7882

Here is what the Ford web site says for the availability of the AdvanceTrac system.....

"New AdvanceTrac; interactive vehicle dynamics system - the first application on a truck or SUV - combines the benefits of traction control and electronic stability (yaw) control (available later in 2001)"
    here is the link to the Ford web site that talks about the safety equipment

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=239&press_subsection_id=424

• Thanks so much for all the information on the introduction of the stablity control option..
    I m gonna wait for it and am so happy that it is expected this year...I ve decided on a Mountaineer with all the options except rear AC ( i want the moonroof)..I m not so keen on the lack of 4wd low and the funky aluminum plastic..but other than that..i think the vehicle is terrific
    The mountaineer seems to be priced better than the Explorer Limited and Eddie Bauer.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    The thing looks like a minivan on steroids. I am glad I bought a late 2000 model instead of waiting for the 2002.

The newly re-designed Chevy Trailblazer is a much nicer exterior design.

But then again, I am a 26 year old guy who wants a truck, not a 38 year old soccer mom who has a family to haul around.
  • jhetellejhetelle Posts: 2
    njdevilsrn, you may be right that the Trailblazer has better exterior looks (but that's a matter of personal opinion), but the 38-yr old soccer Mom can haul around her family in her new Mountaineer while you have your Trailblazer sitting at the dealer to have the suspension replaced (see latest recall).
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    There are issues with both of your statements.

njdevilsm - obviously, you are trying to justify your purchase of an older, inferior model with a history of problems. Whatever makes you feel better.

jhetelle - check your own backyard before you criticise others. I found this article on the www.blueovalnews.com website:

"2002 Explorer fuel tank ruptures halt shipments to dealers -

It's a good thing that the 2002 Ford Explorer isn't subjected to the three strike rule in baseball or the three time convicted felon rule in California. But what it is subjected to is Ford's "Quality is JOB1" launch process that is becoming synonymous with words like disaster, butchered, etc.

We first reported that the all new 2002 Explorer wouldn't be available with a 4.6L V8 engine (link at end of article) or a manual transmission until later this year due to engineering problems. Then we reported that the PCM's (powertrain control module) on an estimated 15,000+ Explorers were allegedly programmed with corrupted software - which prevented their shipment to dealers.

Now, Reliable sources at an Explorer assembly plant told BlueOvalNews that yet a new problem has put a choke hold on those shipment plans to dealers. It's alleged that some 4x2 versions have been unable to pass certain required NOVA side impact crash tests. Inside sources say that during simulated left side impact crashes, certain 4x2 Explorer's transmissions would come lose and directly or indirectly rupture the new plastic fuel tank, which has been relocated on the passenger side center of the frame for 2002. "
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Just thought you'd like to know, I visited a Seattle area dealer 2 weeks ago that advertises itself as a "no dicker sticker" dealership. They quoted me a flat $700.00 over invoice for any 2002 Explorer, off the lot or factory order.

elem - with the "SUV's" you're looking at, it sounds like you're looking for a 3 row seat family hauler with AWD rather. Have you considered the Buick Rendezvous coming out this month? A well equipped AWD version should start at around $28,000 (MSRP). If you don't need AWD, get the FWD with traction control for about $25,000...or a minivan.
  • I agree that the new trailblazer might look slightly better than the new explorer.

That being said, I think the Explorer is a much better vehicle overall because of the IRS (independent rear suspension)

I also like the third row seat, probably because i m a soccer dad

If looks are really important,I think the Mountaineer looks nicer than the trailblazer

The thing is there are so many vehicles on the road that i think are ugly, but others love them.
    So of course it would be senseless to argue over which vehicle looks the best.

I dont agree that the Explorer resembles a minivan.
    I would have liked a more stylish design for the explorer...the new toyota suvs(Higlander and Sequoia) look nice as does the new montero..again ..my preferences.

And about all these recalls...I won t argue that the manufacturers should test more before unleashing the product on to the public. But it would seem to me that when these defects arise, and recalls need to employed, that this must be very costly both monetarily and in reputation ....I suspect vehicles are so complicated today, that all the defects and design flaws may not be evident until they actually are driven by consumers. Even the vernerable Mercedes M class had lots of issues when it first debuted.

I wouldnt recommend buying one of the first 15,000 vehicles of a new product run. Many wait until after the first model year.

I dont know how long i will last before purchasing my new Mountaineer.
    "Sorry, but none of the info you listed is true. Its funny how false rumors get spread."

I pulled it directly out of Blue Oval News. Why would they lie to that extent?

Would you care to back up your statement, or did I just hurt your feelings and that was the best you could do at the time?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,009
    Watch for news about rear window problems if you have an '02 model.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,009

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

When you look at this and also the problems that the new 02 GM midsizers are having, you are going to get those import lovers come in and gloat about how much better their POS is, etc.

The thing to remind them however is the deviant secrecy in the way that the import manufacturers work. They would do whatever it takes to hide these types of situations from the public and rather try to sweep it under the rug.

I applaud Ford and GM for coming up front with these new issues and hope they get the right reactions to doing so, otherwise they may revert back to the 'imports' way of doing things again and hide it.
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Posts: 40
    I have experienced problems getting clear and definitive answers from Ford Customer Service or two local Ford dealers regarding in several areas, they are:
    1. When will V-8s be available at dealerships, it appears that the April schedule has been changed to when?
    2. When will the "late availability" items such as the adjustable pedals, garage door opener, etc be available?
    3. What is being done to correct the rear window shattering glass problem on delivered and undelivered vehicles?
    Appreciate any information that comes from a reliable source.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I saw 1 2002 Eddie Bauer on the lot with a V8. When I ordered my V6 EB, I was told the side curtain airbags would cause about a 6 month delay. When they priced my vehicle, the pedals, telescoping wheel and homelink were listed as credits. 2 hours later, when my order was placed, the homelink garage door opener disapeared from the credit list.
  • Anyone hear anything about the 2003 Lincoln MK9 that will be on the Explorer platform? I guess it will offer the navigation system that seems popular.
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,814
    could somebody tell how much over invoice in the n.y. n.j. area the explorers are going for. i might even consider a 2001. a contact name or dealership would be great thanks brian

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

has any body purchased a 2002 explorer in new jersey. im curious to know how much there going over invoice thanks for sharing the information brian 125

• ess1ess1 Posts: 1
    brian125:

As a data point, last week we ordered a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 6-cyl from Douglas Ford in Summit, NJ.

Options ordered: running boards, side air bags, moon roof, reverse sensing, 3rd row seat

Salesman was Bud Dyer -- low key, very pleasant, no pressure, would recommend him

We were shown printout from Ford ordering system giving pricing as $37,210 "retail" (i.e. MSRP), $34,074 "invoice"

Per the printout, adjustable pedals and Homelink will be included when delivered. Telescoping steering wheel is not yet available -- credit of $54 given on invoice price.

Total invoice price on printout included $250 advertising fee (called "FDAF Assessment") plus $26 for a tank of gas (13 gal at $2/gal). Except for these items, the invoice prices for the base car and the options seemed to agree with the info on Edmunds, given the $54 credit for telescoping steering wheel.

Salesman said they wanted $1000 over invoice, or $35,074.

Told him we had a quote from carsdirect.com for $700 over invoice. But it's not clear if the carsdirect.com quote covers the advertising fee and the tank of gas.

Anyway, we finally agreed on $600 over invoice or $34,674. He asked for a $500 deposit.

We were quoted 8 weeks delivery. They will try to locate a car with correct configuration if already on order by Douglas, or perhaps in trade with other dealer. No update on actual delivery date yet.

Hope this info is useful. We'd be interested in hearing if anyone else was able to get a significantly better price in the north NJ area.

Good luck.
  • uthemanutheman Posts: 18
    I purchased it about a month ago. I am very pleased. The only options were auto cranny and the "sport" group. MSRP was $28595. I got it for $26800 or $648 over invoice.

One thing I don't understand is how the extra $6000 - $7000 can be justified for the BE or Limited. The XLS 4WD with the sport group has power everything, cruise, tilt wheel, DC player (the standard one that sounds great), the same 4WD system as the XLT, BE, or Limited (3 modes, computer controlled WAD, 4WD, or 4WD low range), the same 4.0 6cyl and 5 speed auto as the more expensive ones, the same standard tow package (built in hitch receiver and wiring), the same roof rack, good looking 16in. alloys, running boards, tinted windows, very comfortable standard cloth seats, and the same good looks.

Granted the EB has a certain look that I like but I could not justify the extra $7000. The XLS has everthing I need. Just my opinion.

2. good exterior appearance
    3. good ride quality (for a truck)
    4. it's an American made SUV
    5. comfort level of the seats
    6. interior room (I'm 6'3" and when I have the
    driver's seat adjusted to my comfort level
    and when I get in back behind the driver's seat my knees just graze the seat. Something I could not say for the 2001 or most other midsize SUV's.
    7. the under floor storage compartments if you don't opt for the third seat.
    8. That new car smell and feel.

Dislikes:

1. The white paint had rail dust on it. (white buyers beware. It can only be seen on very close inspection. It will look like very small dots of rust. The dealer acknowleged the exsistance of this problem on white cars and it is at the dealer right now being taken care of under warrenty. Removal of this is best left to a professional ie. labor intensive.)
    2. more wind noise than I expected at highway speeds. (75mph speed limit here.)
    3. a transmission that shifts sluggishly from 2-3 and 3-4 under very light acceleration. It does not have this problem under moderate to brisk acceleration. The dealer is also looking into this.
    4. a rattle coming from the middle of the dash near the windshield. Also being looked into.
    5. an intermitant "raspy" sound from the engine at certain loads and RPM's. Also being looked into.

I had a 1985 Bronco II some years ago that I bought new and I loved that truck but it was an absolute heap compared to this one. How far ford has come with their mid size SUV's.
  • uthemanutheman Posts: 18
    make that tranny and EB
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    In the 4/30 Business week in an article on Continental about stability systems they quote Ford as saying stability system will be an option in November.
  • jconkjconk Posts: 1
    I had a pretty pleasant experience. I purchased a 2002 Explorer and traded in a '96 Explorer. I also got a $ 750 customer loyalty rebate. I got a Mineral Gray XLT with leather, 3rd row, moonroof, side impact airbags and running boards for about $ 300 over invoice. Invoice was $ 30,356. MSRP was $ 33,360 and Edmunds TMV was 31,040. I paid 30,690. The 2002 handles like a dream and blows away my '96. I'm really hard pressed to find much fault with it. The 6 cyl has more horsepower than my old '96 6 cyl. It's much quieter, too. As we left the dealership, my 5 year old said it felt like we were floating - even he could feel the 4 wheel independent suspension and the vast improvement over the '96 we had. I waited a year for this vehicle, and I'm glad I did. I really needed the 3rd row, which is more roomy than the new Tahoe's 3rd row, believe it or not.. the beefed up horsepower, decent gas mileage (with higher prices looming)and a vehicle with a 3rd row that could fit in my garage sealed the deal for me. Lower step in height and higher ground clearance also helped. These 2002's are going to be huge. Ford kinda created the whole SUV craze with the original Explorer, and they set a new standard and raised the bar with this new one. So people don't think I work for Ford, I have a few minor complaints.... the powerpoint next to the cup holder was a dumb idea, because inevitably, somebody is going to spill coffee or soda all over it. The keyhole where you start it is also cheesy and the key doesn't go in as easy as it should. Also, foglights should have been standard on the XLT. I don't even think you can get them as an option unless you go with Limited or EB....Anyway, that's my experience/review....
    thanks to all for your response on the price you received.autoland in springfield n.j.sent me a fax the salesmans name is shahid qureshi.he quoted me $100 over invoice.i bought a 95 voyager there and i know first hand autoland plays no games there a high volume dealer. my voyagerin 1995 i bought for invoice.good luck to all of youand enjoy your new rides.