Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    It has become that obvious huh? LOL! I guess I can admit it. I think about other people out there (GM people, Toyota people, DiamlerChrysler people, Ford people etc) and wonder why we feel so strongly about these car companies that some of us (including me) don't even work for. Heck I even grew up in a GM family. I guess I became a Ford guy because I have had really good products from them. As a Ford guy its a bummer when Ford brings out a new product (2002 Explorer, Escape, and Focus) and botches it up with silly manufacturing glitches and poor materials. Recall rear hatch glass breaking into a million pieces on the new Explorers, and slicing of tires on the assembly line. A number of things went wrong on the Focus (a product of Nassars Regeim). I understand that its the manufactures fault in some cases and that their products are inferior. Yet Ford is the one that is constantly cost cutting. When will the cost cutting stop and the bullet proof quality start? These are just the minor rantings of a Ford guy though. If you are having problems with your Ford I wish you better luck with it. Stick in there if you can, maybe things will get better? If you have a good Ford I wish you many more years of continured satisfaction.
    Ahhh. Now that feels better ;-)
    Navigator 3740- I always look forward to your comments hehe. So, from one Ford blue bleeding guy to another...Goodnight ITS LATE!
  • I noticed one post stating that the Explorers are being marked up over MSRP. I just bought a Mountaineer in Woodbridge, VA and got $2750 in rebates. I ended up paying below invoice....
  • I just purchaced a Mountaineer yesterday for $1,100.00 under invoice. This was before the $1,000 rebate I got fro trading in a Villager. Ford wouldn't go much below invocie and I would nto get teh exctra $1,000 rebate with Ford. Plus, the Mountaineer looks nicer IMO.
  • Hello everybody,

Have a quick question... Has anyone encountered a problem where the overdrive light is flashing on and off repeatedly? I own a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6. It only has 8500 miles on it, about six months of driving. I hope this isn't a transmission problem, because I will be very pissed. The car is brand new!

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    uh oh... according to the owners manual, when that light flashes like that, you're supposed to bring it back to the dealer for a fix. I think it's a problem with the tranny, but it could be as minor as a computer chip related problem. But have it checked anyway for a peace of mind. Something interesting happened to mine yesterday. I started the car, turned off the O/D, and was driving. Oh boy, did I feel that jerk from 2nd to 3rd. I stopped, went again and the jerk wouldn't go away. So I turned off the engine (which is like resetting the computer no a day), and drove it again and the jerking was gone. :)
    I will try later again driving it with the O/D off to see if it jerks again. wish me luck! lol
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    it could be any failure or just a misalignment of the gear-detect sensor. at any rate, it's a warranty deal, and it's nice to get the defects shaken out quickly. there was a pretty common set of complaints 96-99 with the 4-series tranny in which the clutch for 3rd gear failed... and some shift issues with the OD light the same years that cleared up with a computer reprogramming.
  • Hello again,

I just came back from the dealer. The flashing OD light was diagnosed by the computer (according to the service rep.) as a torque converter problem. Wonderful!! The rep. said that they are not 100% sure since they did not take apart the transmission or looked into it very deep. He said that there is a possibility that the sensor is faulty. Sure.
    I can't believe this. As much as I want to believe in American cars and quality, once again it is proven to me that the quality is bad. but it is not only that, the service isn't that much better.

The service rep told me to bring the car back on Monday. They can't get me a loaner because they are out of them. This is after I specifically paid extra for the extended warranty program (when I bought the car) which covers free oil changes and a loaner when the car has to stay over 24hrs in the shop). But THEY have no loaners!
    So the rep. said since we have the holiday (the big whopping one day off for New Years) there is no point keeping the car in since they will not be able to really look into it and if they need parts they don't have they will not come in until day later. WHAT???!? So this means that I have to wait until next Monday to even start getting the car looked at again? How does that make sense?

I don't want to make this a Foreign vs. American car/service debate, however, I can't help it. I also own a BMW 325i. Everytime I go in to BMW for anything (oil change, etc.) they always make an appointment first (something my Ford dealer doesn't do). When I make my appointment I ask for a loaner (even if I am picking up the car the same day) and when I go in it is ready and waiting for me. I am in and out in 15 minutes and I am at work on time. And if for some unusual circumstance the loaner is not there for me (because the person that was scheduled to bring it back did not) they bend over backwards and give me a ride AND pick me up from work. Try asking for that at Ford. They didn't even want to give me a ride to work.

Am I going to buy another American car or a Ford? Most likely not.

I am not trying to start a debate here. I am just giving my opinion and venting at the same time.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    thanks for the update...
    from reading this message board, according to some of the people here, the tranny on these new explorers did indeed have problems AND the technicians here in the USA weren't trainned to fix them. Good luck with your car... hopefully it will run better after it's fixed.
  • Ford has changed the liftgate somewhere in production for the Mountaineer. We owned an '02 that was built in August '01 and just purchased an '03. The glass portion of the liftgate is more difficult to close. You almost need to slam it shut. This was not the case on our '02.

We had over 21,000 miles on our '02 and there was a problem getting the truck to start. Traded in for an '03 and upgraded to a V8 since the 0% for 60 was tought to pass up
  • I agree with your comments on the 4runner. Does anyone know if there's more driver room now?

Indeed, my opinion is that the unions are a major player in the downfall of Ford and others. They were working for the country in the first part of the 20th century, but now they mostly protect inadequate workers (believe me, the education one I was a part of in NY would make you cringe if your kids were being taught by people who would have to be convicted of a felony to lose their jobs). This is not to say that there aren't dedicated, quality workers in these companies, but I'm sure they'd love to get rid of their so-called 'peers' who don't pull their own weight.

Anyway, if my 5-year-old cars squeaked and rattled, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Also, if I was off-roading on the farm on a daily basis, it would make sense as well.

Ford die-hards will never leave, but few on the outside will join. Most will go to Toyota now (The Pilot didn't impress me nor handle very well). Lucky for Ford my father always votes Republican and always buys Ford. But he wasn't amused when I laughed at his 61K Sable blowing the engine with no reimbursement.

Happy 2003 all.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    While I realize that you try an avoid a Foreign v American debate, it is difficult to do so...this topic has been argued in other places...I, too, believe that unions were responsible for improved conditions and worker treatment in the first half of the last century...ever since the 60s-70s, American quality has dropped...it improved ONLY because we had the pants beat off us by the cheap Corollas and Civics imported in the early to mid 1980s...I spent 10 years, 1980-1990, in Detroit, working with the unions in a certain capacity, and it only convinced me that the unions were the worst thing since Communism...while not wishing to express too strong an opinion, "the purpose of a union is to attract the lowest quality worker to produce the lowest quality work in the highest possible quantity, thereby contaminating the American supply of goods and services"...they keep drunks and drug addicts on the assembly line for up to two years, while they continually appeal in the "grievance process", but we get to buy the products, while they scream "Buy American"...you show up drunk or drugged at an import plant (built in Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, because no unions), and you are fired that day...the sole purpose of the union in the 21st century is to "protect" the incompetent worker who convinces us to buy Toyota, Honda or Nissan...the unions will work their membership out of jobs until the last 3 good union workers remain...Strong opinion to follow...
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,152
    Let's stick to Ford/Mercury SUVs shall we?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    It has been a solid performer to date. No squeaks, no rattles, just a great truck. The more time behind the wheel ( it is my wife's) and the more impressed I am with the truck. Great ride, steering and handling, excellent turning radius and lots of spaceinside.

The only dilike is the mileage which barely gets me 400km a tankful (250 miles) which is around 70 litres (18 gallons). I understand winter is usually worse for mileage but it is a little worse than expected. I am hoping to get 500km a tank in the spring/summmer.

Also, not terrible impressed with how the 4WD engages, feels sloppy at times. Other than that, I love this truck.
  • ron222ron222 Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 mountaineer, and the A/C smells like a horse. A qualified technician has run a Motorcraft A/C deodorizer through the system with very limited short term results. This mold (or whatever it is) is causing respiratory problems for my wife and daughter. Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so, what was the fix.

I've tried coaxing the horse out of the dashboard with a carrot, but it did not work. Woooohhh Nelly!!!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,152
    Oh what the heck, take a look at the current Letters to the Editors too :-)

(scroll down a bit to the Most Wanted section)

I'd love to direct you to a current "foreign vs domestic" debate, but those boards go nuclear so fast they wind up getting frozen almost as soon as they leave the gate.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    Try turning off the defroster and A/C a mile or so from home and leave the blower on. It will allow the ducts to return to outside temp and prevent the moisture build-up caused by the cooler air.
    I've tried blowing the system out for hours, with both A/C on and A/C off. I've tried blowing it out with the heater on (the smell is curiously absent while the heater is on), only to have it return immediately when the A/C is turned back on. The mechanic I use (nice guy, honest; a rare find!) has routed out the condensate drain and there was no sign of anything. I have taken off the glove box and looked in the recirculating air intake and saw nothing in the fan. The only ideas I have left are:
    1. Spray isopropyl alcohol (IPA) in there, just in case it is a grease causing the smell.
    2. Spray bleach in there (bleach kills everything)
    3. Disassemble the whole unit and scrub down each part individually.

Unless, of course, anyone has any other ideas.
    For anyone who has the Explorer/Mountaineer radio display problem (radio works, display doesn't), see the following website for the fix:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

• jv312jv312 Posts: 32
    The CrossTerrain tire info was right on target. Finally towed snowmobile trailer for the first time this season, and the Explorer handled like a champ! I do have a question for those in the colder regions regarding the road salt & sand. I've notice on the bottom of my doors behind the cladding & inside the door edging that it traps the stuff like crazy. I do not have running boards, but I did install Ford front and rear mudflaps to try and stop this. It cut down on some of the slop. Has anyone else noticed this? The back passenger doors are the worst. Fortunately, none of this stuff comes in the cabin.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    have not decided whether to pony up the $19.95 access to "the fix" section yet, but thanks for the link.
  • heintz1heintz1 Posts: 52
    I know what you're talking about, and I too have front and rear mud flaps, along with tubular steps, rather than running boards. For what it's worth, I painstakingly re-detail my truck every six months (a weekend project requiring a garage) with Zaino products (www.zainobros.com), and I also apply Zaino to the insides of the doors, etc. This is time-consuming, but it's time well spent. During the winter, I periodically rinse these areas (along with running her through a soft brush car wash every week or two), and with the amount of salt on the roads this time of year, it's hard to do much more than that. At any rate, Zaino products not only provide for a gorgeous finish, but that finish is also very durable and protective, assuming that one takes the time to periodically wash off accumulated grime, salt, etc.
    I need some additional explanation, as a friend made an offer that I do not know if it will save me money or cost me money...my friend is a Ford retiree, and he offered me use of the “Z” plan,
    which he says will allow me to purchase any vehicle under Ford’s banner at “3% over DEALER
    COST”...( if I am not mistaken, A-plan if for Ford employees/retirees, X-plan if for their
    immediate family members, Z-plan is for non-relations...correct me if I am wrong)...here’s the
    bottom line questions...1) if “dealer cost” is defined as Edmund’s invoice cost, and if Z-plan is
    3% over that, there are already dealers out there who will sell a car at Edmund’s invoice, and Z-plan would cost me money rather than save me money...if “dealer cost” is defined as including all other holdbacks, etc., then Z-plan would be a great deal...does anyone familiar with Ford plans know how “dealer cost” is defined?...2) Also, my friend said that since he was a salaried employee, as opposed to an hourly (unionized) employee, his plan will also allow the discount on Jaguar and Land Rover...so, while I could consider Mountaineer or Aviator under the Ford/LM brands, does anyone know the discount on Land Rover Discovery, since Edmunds has no listing
    other than MSRP?...3) do employee discount plans only cover new cars, or does it cover used,
    too, since I would, in the future, consider a 2 or 3 year old Jaguar XJ8L???...thanks for any
    helpful information...

Bob
  • cubescubes Posts: 29
    I believe that the Z-Plan (for retirees) allows for the same pricing as the A-Plan (current employees) which is definitely below invoice.

I have a copy of the Ford invoice for my 99 E350 Club Wagon and the numbers are as follows:
    MSRP: $30540
    INVOICE: $26699.60
    MEMO (Invoice Less Holdback): $25801.60
    A-PLAN: $25421.60
    There are some additional figures of $2555 and $23122.00 with no headers attached to them so I really can't tell what they mean. Keep in mind that this info is three years old and things may have changed a bit.

X-Plan is pricing for Ford Partner companies and their employees and/or members. That pricing is A-Plan + 4%. That's what I used for our Mountaineer.

Regarding Jag and LR plans, if they are structured like X-Plan, I believe that they are a fixed dollar amount discounts. And if my memory serves me correctly, not very good discounts at that.
  • cubescubes Posts: 29
    X-Plan pricing is as follows:

Ford/Mercury/THINK - A-Plan+4%+$150
    Lincoln - A-Plan+4%+$250
    Volvo - A-Plan+2%
    Land Rover - Dealer Invoice+4%
    Mazda - E-Plan+5.3% (E-plan is Mazda Employee Price)
    Jaguar - Cash allowance of $500-$1500 depending on model

SuperDuty F450-F750, T-Bird, Volvo XC90, Range Rover and Aston Martins are not included.

Here's some additional info regarding the X-Plan program:

*   You can lease or buy your vehicle through this program.  However, depending on the brand selected, you may be required to obtain the lease through the respective brands credit source. [Ford Credit]
    *   You are eligible for all public incentives plus many incentives normally paid to the dealer. Some special offers may not be compatible with this offer so check with your dealer to determine which incentives you are eligible for.
    *   Prior model year vehicles are only eligible through March 31st of the current model year.
    *   Used vehicles are not eligible.
    *   Trade-in allowances are not covered by this program and will likely represent the wholesale value of your trade-in. (may be lower than expected)
    *   Dealer Participation in this program is voluntary.
    you for taking the time to respond...it looks like Z-plan may be worthwhile after all
  • I am presently looking at buying a 2002 XLT with 3rd row, aux. heat/air, V8, tow package, 6 CD. It was built in 12/01 and has the older front seats with no headrests. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have been offered a price of $36,000 CDN or approx. $24,000 US, which from shopping around seems like a good deal. I am only concerned with the lack of the headrests, leather steering wheel and side heated mirrors. I am hoping to hear from other owners of the earlier 2002, not 2002.5 Explorers about their impressions. Any info would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
  • gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    The headrest issue doesn't bother me, since I'm only 5'8" tall. The seat gives adequate support to my neck. If you're tall and it bothers you it could be a problem.
    As for the other items:
    Leather wheel- had one on my '95, and despite regularly cleaning and conditioning, the leather began to look terrible and I wound up covering it. I prefer the plastic for the long run.
    Mirror heaters- I live in Pennsylvania and can say that it's very rare that they would be of any use here. Don't know about your climate but I imagine you could live without them.

The one change that I would not mind having from the 2002.5 is the shoulder belt in the middle of the second row.

The 2002.5 comes with fog lights, which the early ones didn't have. I bought the kit from Ford for about $200 and installed them myself.

Good luck!
  • I am interesting in factory ordering an Explorer. My local dealer's "build sheet" has different "invoice" prices than the invoice prices on Ford's/Edmunds' website. The dealer is also insisting on a Ford Dealer Advertising Fund assessment as well as the doc fee.

I realize the dealer makes a tidy profit with holdback and the Blue Oval rebate, but still have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone purchased at or below invoice recently (and kept the rebate/financing incentive)?
    2. Did the FDAF and doc fee added to the "X dollars over/under invoice" pricing?
    3. How long does it take for an order to come in from the factory?
    4. Is the deposit refundable (say the vehicle comes in after the rebates expire)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Johnny
  • Thank you for the input. I did not receive as much feedback as I hoped but I did decide to go ahead and purchase the Explorer anyways. The dealer came down another $2500 and with the 0 per cent financing and no payment for 99 days here in Canada (a Wayne Gretzky promotion with Ford Canada), I couldn't be happier. Thus far I am greatly impressed with the vehicle, it is very comfortable and well laid out. I had a Nissan Pathfinder a couple of years ago and miss some of its niceties such as the leather and steering wheel controls for the stereo but now that I have a young family those items became less of a priority. The V8 is great and I am sure that I will be very happy with my decision. Can't wait to see how it pulls a trailer this summer.