Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ..."rule of 78s" which is the method of calculating the balance due for payoff...

Actually, it's a method for (approximately!) calculating your refund on unearned interest when you wish to pay off a loan early as the payments you have already made were based on going the full term of the loan.

FYI: If you have r months remaining on a loan of n months, then your refund will be [r×(r+1)]/[n×(n+1)]×total interest charge on the loan.

tidester, host
  • I own a 2002 XLT, and I just noticed a 2003 in the parking lot. Couple comments: First, the door handles. They are a black urathane type material. I think this cheapens the look of the truck. The 2002 has painted body color handles. Second, I took a peek inside and what is with the grey/chrome molding around the stereo and climate control? It does not look very elegant with beige interior! I have dk graphite, but still prefer the plain black in the 2002. If they wanted to dress it up, why not use the fake woodgrain (EB) on beige interiors and the grey woodgrain(Limited) on the graphite interior?

Although the seats do look nicer that they have less of the dk/lt grey/beige as in the 2002. And also, the dimming mirror, fog lights and the leather wrapped steering wheel is also a plus. These were added on the 2002.5.

I guess I was a little disappointed about what seems that they saved money on the handles in order to dress up the dash.

As the owner of a 98 and 02, I still like the Explorer and would recommend one to anyone. However, I would look for a 2002.5 instead of a 2003. You would save money and get a better looking truck.
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    What is the refund exactly in your post #1002?

AFAIK, your monthly payment on auto loan consists two portions, you pay in full the interest accumulated in the previous month, the rest is to pay down the principal. As your monthly payment continues, the insterest portion gets less and less, the principal part gets bigger and bigger. You won't owe interest for more than a month if you pay on time, and you are never owed interest, the balance in your account is always your remaining principal.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Exp/Neer. I am just confused with the statement.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    you are never owed interest

Yes, but all the outstanding payments are based on taking the loan to full term. In paying it off early, you would make all the outstanding payments at once and you are due a refund on the unearned interest for the "future payments."

Historically, the banks have used this method of "bookkeeping" but in this age of computers and calculators it would seem unnecessary. In fact, the "Rule of 78" is no longer legal for loans whose terms are in excess of 61 months.

tidester, host
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    Not exactly sure if you're looking for something elegant looking, but I got some from Walmart for the 3rd row seats. $3.99 each and I got two. Works great. And most of the time I do have my 3rd row down.
  • In addition to myself, a few others have reported a "clunking" sound when hitting a bump at low speed while turning. Local dealer replaced steering gear with no effect. Plan to go back for third visit and was wondering if any recent tsb's or solutions have been found. Do not want another part change if not the cause.

It feels like a looseness, but do not notice it at any time other than low speed turning.
  • Our 2002 has 20,000 miles on it now, and we've not had this problem so far.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    or maybe a suspension bushing
  • kmeeskmees Posts: 3
    They offer this model on the Ford page, but they have none here in the Raleigh area in stock that I can find so I can't drive one. My question is, does anyone have any opinion on whether the V6 can handle the AWD system without really becoming a dog? Yes, I am looking at a 4X4 as well for those days it snows and rains, but the convenience of the AWD interests me.
  • The 6 is a dog in any configuration. And that's what we have. Wish I had the V8
  • I need to replace my goodyear 245 70 16 LS tires on my 2002 mountaineer. I guess I can't complain as I have over 40,000 miles on them. I am looking at the goodyear fortera. Has anyone had any good experiences with other brands or types.
  • I've not driven an '02+ Explorer or Mountaineer with the V8. I can tell you, though, that I do NOT think the V6 is under powered for this vehicle. Our Merc does have the towing package, though, which probably contributes significantly to my satisfaction with the performance of the V6. I probably wouldn't be so satisfied with the V6 without the tow package.
  • We just bought a 2000 XLT and it didn't have the owners manual, hence no card with keypad code. Anyone know where the module is located and how to get to it to see the factory number?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • 2000 XLT. Changer is in the middle console. Any idea how it is attached in there? There is a single cd in the dash, so we would rather have the space in the console for storage. Also, on the front of the storage area, there is an opening which looks like it would be for an emergency brake (I assume for a standard). Is there suppossed to be a cover for that?

Thanks for any info,
    Steve
  • cubescubes Posts: 29
    I have to agree with mwmcdonald1. Our Mountaineer also has the tow pkg and I think the performance is more than adequate.

I drove the V6 and V8 back to back to back before deciding on the V6. I didn't think there was a significant "seat of the pants" difference between the two. BTW, I can't remember if the V8 had the tow package.

I imagine if you live in an area of diverse elevations or planned to do a significant amount of towing, the added torque of the V8 would come in handy. For our use, as a baby mover, grocery getter and general errand vehicle the V6 is more than adequate.

YMMV and yes, I do wish the V6 got a little better fuel mileage.
    hi all... just want to share this with everyone. something very interesting happened today on my 2002 xlt with 1500 miles. that fiberglass part right underneath the rear window wiper (where that ford logo sits) has a crack right from the middle. I used the rear window only 3 times. I wonder if that has to do with the pressure off the wiper or that piece of plastic is just too cheap and weak. oh well, anyway, taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.
  • Any recomendation for where to find
    a third row seat option for a '99 XLT?

thanks,

Mike
    went to the dealer today and they're pretty good about it. the mgr at the body shop said it's a defect and they would order part to fix right away. :)
  • Taboky;

I bought an Exploder new in '98 and the slot you mention in the console is actually for a box of tissues. A small travel size box will slide into the front of the console and the slot allows access to one tissue at a time. Clever, but not very useful. I found that this kept a nice layer of tissue "dust" all over the console most of the time.

Not sure how the CD Changer is attached, good luck though.

jlb1166
  • How did you figure that out? I didn't get a manual, but downloaded one from the myford site. Maybe the manual that comes with the truck is more descriptive.

I did find that the code for the keyless entry is on the control module located in the well that the jack is in. Needed a mirror and flashlight to read it, but cheaper than paying a dealer.

Steve