Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You may be correct, gregb, but you are drawing a reasonable conclusion from deduction - and who knows, Mercon V may be "beyond synthetic". I mean, maybe it's made from the most expensive liquid on earth.......bottled water!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,834
    r
     o
      f
       l!
    Then there's Starbucks coffee...... NOBODY could afford to fill a transmission with that!
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    Could be a new blend. How does Metallic sound ;-)
    Uh, I'll have a double Mercon Synthetic blend please in a go cup.
  • cubescubes Posts: 29
    Well, according to some links thru google, it appears that Mercon V is a high quality synthetic blend. No mention on when it will be available at your favorite coffee shop.
  • my 2002 MM's abs light went on early in the morning. it stayed lit during my morning commute and didn't showed up back into my commute late in the afternoon. Searching at the ABS problems in this forum, it seems that Ford still is contracting with cheapo suppliers. Mine is now at 18K others experiencing similar problems. BTW does the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover the rental car or is it the dealer's goodwill to provide a loaner car? the ford dealer says that it's not covered by the warranty (they don't have loaner cars)..
    I've had 3 Mountaineers and one Explorer. The ABS light came on once in the Explorer at about 114,000 miles. Never in the 3 Mountaineers.
    My dealer has loaners too. It depends on where you go. Some of them "get" the value of offering loaners, some don't unfortunately.
  • gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    Not to beat the Mercon thing to death, but I'm betting that the links you found were for Mercon V compatible fluids from makers other than Ford (Motorcraft). I, too, found those while searching for information.
    For what it's worth, my dealer has a poster in their waiting area that says that the trans fluid should be changed at 45K intervals. That may be the dealer's recommendation, though.
  • cubescubes Posts: 29
    I bet you might be right, since I didn't come across a Ford link related to Mercon V. Regarding scheduled changes, I think I remember seeing in the Mountaineer manual that it calls for 60K. I'm not that concerned about the miles since our Merc lease will be done in November with around 40K on the clock.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    I have a question to Merqury Montaneer/Ford Explorer owners: I am looking at various vehicles now, one of them being Merqury Montaneer, which could be had now under Red Carpet Purchase (lease in reality) option - for #320 a month (taxes & $800 prior to car interception) for 48 month I can get 15,000 miles a yesr, V6, regular stereo, sunroof, leather seating, AWD, running boards, (+something else). Is it a good price, and, will the car last 60,000 miles without tranny or engine or any other major part failure? Of course, every car is different (my Accord went through 3 tranny's withing first 8 months of it's life), but as the rule of the thumb?
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    running gear is really pretty good among most manufacturers. exploders/mounties are pretty solid vehicles and you only have occasional limited populations of interesting vehicles caused by funny parts.

for a full escape from issues, you would also want to roll a manufacturer's extended warranty into any vehicle's lease plan. then all you have to worry about are the fabled and frequent stories about overmileage, bumps and scratches, and crud ground into the carpets and seatbacks by the neighbor kids by accident. your accord experience should remind everybody that EVERYBODY can get a run of cruddy parts or a solid team effort from a lazy engineer on occasion.

I've got almost 50K on my exploder, no issues at all. the battery went about when you expect it to, and I might have a fuel regulator or gas pump issue beginning to appear... or it might be a cheap relay before the fuel pump, haven't ID'd the problem yet.

I'm not sold on car leases for individuals at all, but I readily agree lots of folks like 'em.

I think you'll be fine in the mountie. just do the regular maintenance and look at anything that seems odd, like any good vehicle, and it should be a nice ride and a nice experience.

oh, that regular stereo. wimpy like all the rest. get the Mach, you'll like it. even more if you get the optional multi-disk with it. good tunes make a good drive better.
    1 Explorer and 3 Mountaineers so far - I think they're the perfect vehicle for me. My explorer has 120,000 tough miles on it, no major repairs yet.
    Is V6 as bad as they say in reviews and does the rear hatch window actually explodes?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    No the hatch doesn't explode, this was a pre-production event that occured on the first few, years ago when it was launched.

The V6 is reliable, and not a cause for concern. Although you could get the same gas mileage and better performance from the V8 over the V6.
    They don't want to lease out to me V8 for the same money as V6, understandably. IT's just all mag's are saying V6 is so underpowered....
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Well, I traded a 97 Explorer Limited 5.0 V8/AWD for a 2004 Explorer XLS Sport V6/Control Trac 4WD, I haven't been disappointed at all.

I've had the 04 3 weeks today and have put over 1700 miles on it. Other than a cooling system hiccup at -55 its been flawless. I find the V6 to be very pleasant and it has tons of power. Its a smaller engine than my prev Explorer but is much more refined and has a lot more power.

So far I've averaged 16 mpg, but that's mixed driving and idling, the truck also has snow tires on it which hurt the gas mileage too.

Drive them both and buy what you like, both are good engines and the V6 is certainly not lacking in power or reliability.

BTW, these new Explorers are AMAZING in the deep snow, very, very impressive.
    "They don't want to lease out to me V8 for the same money as V6, understandably. IT's just all mag's are saying V6 is so underpowered.."

Screw the rags, one month they love the vehicle, next one they kill it... All biased trash to begin with. Just test out both versions yourself and see what you prefer best. The V6 transmission is programmed to work at the heart of the band majority of the time so it's rare you will require anything more. And a higher axle ratio might help a bit as well on initial acceleration if need be.
    I've had 2 V8 Mountaineers, and 1 V6 Explorer and 1 V6 Mountaineer. I agree with ANT, that the V8 will give you about the same economy, and makes the truck MUCH more fun to drive and satisfying. BUT, if the V6 was patently unreliable and underpowered, why is the Explorer the best selling SUV in the country ever since it came out? The 6 is very adequate and tough as nails generally. My 94 has 120,000 miles on it, and passes smog like a brand new one. Again, I would get the V8 if I could, but the 6 is just fine.
    Testdrove a Mountaineer today - it's much better than I expected, honestly - a while ago I drove the old Explorer - one from 90th - and there is no comparison between these two. The only thing - MM swinged out it's rear when driving on icy road. Now waiting for the "order" from my wife, what we gonna get - Mountaineer or Isuzu Ascender...
    "Mountaineer or Isuzu Ascender... "

Your kidding me? Has she test driven the Ascender yet?
    That's what I was thinking, but since I haven't considered an Isuzu...ever...I thought maybe I was missing something? No?
    Hey glad to hear you are giving the Moutaineer a look. A fine automobile IMO. Goodluck with your decision!
    Yes, she did. They are sort of, from two different games. In common they have only affordable price for which I can get them. Ascender is a 40,000 dollars vehicle, V8, leather, Bose stereo, heated seats, etc - I'd say it's more of Lincoln Navigator competition - but, I can get it under 30G's. Ride on the road is even better than Navigators. Extremely quiet. But, It's more money than Merc - like 30,000 dollars + tax, and I have to buy it. From woman's point of view, Ascender is better - or simply more luxurious. From my point of view - Merc is totally OK, it's much less money per month and in total, since it is a lease, dealer is literally 5 minutes away and I leased before from this dealer, so I know what to expect. V6 in Merc, though, is very hard to compare with V8 in Ascender (which is the same vehicle Trailblazer/Envoy) - any V8 is so much better; but, Merc handles also much better plus, it has some real bad weather/off-road capability, which Ascender has not - it's a station wagon for those who hate station wagons. And, 4 years later I can give Merc back and forget about the whole thing. So, there are always pluses and minuses.
    The only thing, that concernes me - it is 4 years lease, I need 15,000 miles a year, and warranty is 3/36,000 - will the vehicle last 60,000 miles without buying additional warranty for 2,000 dollars? 'Cuz same money will equal the monthly payments to the ones of Ascender, which has 7 years/72,000 miles warranty...
    " Ascender is a 40,000 dollars vehicle, V8, leather, Bose stereo, heated seats, etc - I'd say it's more of Lincoln Navigator competition "

But how many will really pay $40K for an Asender? It's essentially a Trailblazer as you stated. The Trailblazer/Ascender was able to fit the 3rd row seat by extended the platform, in turn gaining a bit more mass as well (I believe it weights 100lbs less than a Tahoe actually) which is why a V8 would definately be needed in that vehicle.

This was GM's final minute stunt to be able to compete with the Explorer, since the Explorer is able to fit a 3rd row seat optional, but in the same compact dimensions unlike the Trailblazer's extra foot (and then some) length.

As for the Explorer/Mountaineer's ride it was accomplished by the Independent Rear Suspension which is why you feel the more controlled ride, WHICH is what made the fold flat 3rd row seat possible.

As for the concern with the V6, you could upgrade to the V8 if you wish on the Merc, just kill the additional warranty which at $2000 seems a bit rediculous overall. Or keep the V6, but up for a higher axle drive ratio which helps with acceleration. But I wouldn't place too much priority on GM's 5.3L V8 which has been a source of problems pertaining to increased oil usage, and piston knocking. Check this website out which is looking to place a class action suit against GM for this issue... http://www.pistonslap.com/
    Ok, them's fightin' words. Have you ever driven an Navigator, fsv? Because you sure can't buy one for $40,000! You must be confused. The Navigator is much larger than the Ascender, and much more expensive. From the Edmunds review of the Ascender, they claim this is Isuzu's best truck, and:

Pros
    Strong six- or eight-cylinder engines, simple interior design, plenty of passenger and cargo room.

Cons
    Spongy suspension, numb steering, low-grade interior materials, odd exterior proportions.

Ok, insulted, but over it.

The Mountaineer will give you 120,000 miles of trouble free service if you want. But frankly, I'd get the wife what she wants. Happy wife, Happy life! My mantra......
    Haha, you can tell us Explorer/Mountaineer owners love our trucks can't ya? Were almost downright pushy, but we just think and feel they are better than some/all of the competition for the price and that's why we own them :-)

Have you floated through the Trailblazer, Bravada, Envoy discussion? That may be worth a look as far as any issues you may encounter. Though I am sure that there are many of the tripplets out there are trouble free. Also, no one is sure how much longer Isuzu is going to be around in the U.S. I think I read somewhere else on Edmunds that they pulled out of Canada this year. So if they pull out of the U.S. will GM honor Isuzu's warranty, or their own 36/36,000 for their tripplets?

I gotta agree with Nvbanker though, you must make wifey happy!
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Want a Misuzu (Isuzu)? Ford/Mercury makes much better vehicles. We have one Isuzu dealer in the state of Alaska, there's a reason for that, NOBODY wants the things, they don't hold up for very long. I'm on Explorer number 3 and I highly doubt I'll drive anything else.......well, maybe an Expedition in 4 years.
    To nvbanker - of course I drove Navigator. When I was returning my LS, it was the first thing I did - and I didn't like the Nav at all. Feels too big. I like Ascender much better. So does my wife. I don't compare cars based on mag reviews - I might ask questions based on them, but never present their opinion as my opinion or truth in last instance. Only after I drive the car, then I talk. Honestly, I like Ascender's highway manners much more than any of FMC offerings. But, again, I have owned GMC and FMC vehicles. So, Fords, in general, handle better. I was very pleased even with Focus when I rented it recently in FL.
    But, to make the story short, it looks like I am getting the Mountaineer - the $288/month Red Carpet promotion thing is over on the Feb. 2nd, and you can not beat it - everything I need is to make home on time (I am leaving today and will be back only Saturday. I'll have may be two hours home and than I have to leave again. In this case everything what's left is Moday evening - hate to do things in the last moment). And, I sincerely hope that "The Mountaineer will give you 120,000 miles of trouble free service if you want" - I really want it.
    And, hopefully kids on my street grew up a bit - I can not take all dents and scratches and baseball imprints on my cars any more...
    I was just surprised to see you compare the Navigator to the Ascender, as I don't even consider them in the same size class, or anything else. That's all. Couldn't see the correlation.

$288/month? Hmmmmm....I have a Mountaineer on order myself......haven't heard about that deal.