Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I don't believe there are any controls in the back of the Explorer. The Expedition has second row controls, but not the Explorer. NOBODY has third row controls...
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    There are controls in the for the back seat of my wife's 2002 Explorer. They are located up on the headliner kind of in the center. The question is - Is this a decontented item for 2004 or 2005?
  • Can you please help me figure out my problem? I just purchased a used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer and the only problem I have with this nice vehicle is the radio. It sounds like there is maybe not enough power to bring the sound on through or all the speakers are blown. There is not that type of sound where speakers are blown though like heavy rattling, so just can't figure it out. Also, in the back seat where you plug in your head phones in the radio control; that works fine if you use the head phones. I just don't know much about radio and speaker electronics. I sure appreciate your time and help. Thanks!
    You mean the rear seat speakers are weaker than the front ones? If so, that's normal for this car, why I don't know but that's how they are.
  • Thanks for the response; however no, all the speakers are weak; they are barely coming through even with the volume turned full. The only way I can listen to it decent would be through the head phones.
    then, I'm betting the amp is bad, not the speakers.
  • Thanks so much for your reply to my problem. Where is this amp located and how do I get it replaced or checked?
    Well, now it gets a bit sticky for me. I'm pretty sure it's in the back behind a side panel somewhere, but beyond that, I'm not sure. The actual radio on these cars isn't in the dash, all you have there is the control panel, and the CD/casette player possibly, but the rest of the radio guts is elsewhere in the car. Makes it hard to steal that way. That's what you need to replace probably..... I'd talk to the parts guy at the dealership. Talk to the old codger with the Ford cap on his head......behind the counter.
  • we have a 04 Lux. Mountaineer. We live in the north east wher it has begun to get very cold. The tire pressure warning system is always going off. Dealer says it is sensitve to the cold pressure changes. Is this common? Any fix? Or just ignore it?
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Always had its tire pressure light on in the winter. Took us a while to get the pressure exactly right, after that it was fine. I learned to ignore it for the most part until we got it figured out. They are very sensitive to the cold tire pressure, so pick your poison, either adjust it carefully or ignore it.
  • I have an 03 Explorer XLT, which I am generally happy with except for one issue: it does not have AdvanceTrac stability control.

In looking at the NHSTA rollover resistance ratings, electronic stability control seems to really make a difference in reducing rollover.

Now I'm thinking - is it worth taking a loss and trading in my 03 Explorer for an 05 Explorer with standard stability control? Any thoughts out there on this matter?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Personally, wait till next year. A redesigned version will debut next year.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Alot of people aren't aware that 10 degrees of temperature change will change your tire pressure by about 1 psi.

The pressure sensors are required by NHTSA to be extremely sensitive. The best time to check your tire pressure is on a cold morning.

YOU SHOULDN'T BE IGNORING THIS.

If you find that you don't have time to check your pressure in the morning. JUST ADD 1 pound of pressure for every 10 degrees of expected temperature difference.

Mark
    It is normal, the fix is to pump them up to about 40psi in the fall, so that they stay adequately inflated when the temperature drops overnight and you won't set them off in the mornings. You may need to bleed them in the spring again, to keep them from being over inflated in the summer. In short, they need to be checked every couple of months to keep them within safe parameters, and not neglected.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,738
    ant14, have an '02 explorer. thinking somewhat the way patrick9 is, so i can get stability control and side curtains. also power moonroof :)

what will be better about the '06?
    Explorer,

It'll be resystled, a more powerful 3V 4.6L (from the Mustang), a few other modifications like suspension tuning and such, some new items added, etc. Remember it's the 4th year of the product cycle, therefore it means the modifications will be a bit more extensive.
  • 02xls02xls Posts: 40
    Last month Steve the host posted a link that was a press release referring to 2004 Explorers tranny clunk or something like that. Does anyone know if the 04's have a different trans. than 02 or 03 explorers? Why only 04 owners questioned?
    Same tranny, but different fluid was used.
    ANT14 I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while and I think you have posted on here many times in the past. I currently own my 3rd Explorer. I had a 93 sport and now have a 99 XLT and a 02xls. This explorer run will end for me on 12/23 when I trade both my Fords in on my first import SUV. I may be beating a dead horse with this question but in your opinion how with all the problems that Ford is having with the redsigned 02 and newer explorers are they able to get away with no recalls or at least the willingness to repair the ones with major problems even out of warranty? I am mainly talking about the Rear End Pinion Gear/Drivetrain issue that they will not own up to.
    You are more prone to hearing about Explorer complaints since there are so many of them on the road. We are talking about 350-431K units yearly. When one thing goes wrong, many more people are seen complaining since it affects a higher population.

Explorer on average, are near the top of their segment in reliability, and beat some comparable imports. But when something does go wrong, it's viewed as "the sky is falling"...While Honda has transmissions failing at high speeds, and Toyota has oil sludge/engine problems yet are easily forgiven. Something the media recently has been critisized over doing.

If a recall hasn't been issue, chances are it's affecting such a lower percentage of the vehicles population, and/or NHTSA hasn't found a need to require the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

As I've mentioned before, if a specific dealer hasn't been willing to fix your issue, you can try another, and/or try Ford's Customer support and document the issues till a resolution is made.
    Thanks ANT14 Dude do you work for Ford? I have called every Ford dealer in my local area as well as the Customer Support Lines (I wonder if over in India where they are answering the phones they call it customer support with a straight face) and I have gotten no help what so ever. I know Ford has alot of vehicles on the road, the way I see that is if you have made that many vehicles you should know how to engineer and build a rear end that works and will not begin to fail in large numbers and in short time periods. I mean is the rear diff. in a vehicle like the Explorer some kind of new technology?
    I would guestimate a good 90% of the time, it's not really Ford's fault. It's really the supplier's. Because of the bad economy, and the increased costs on raw resources/materials, it's much more diffucult for supplier's to manufacturer/supply a part and keep it profittable for themselves while fighting for business with competitors. Therefore, change the formula on one part, and it can adversly affect it. Everything down to "the oven wasn't set at the appropiate temperature", and that itself can cause an issue for the mentioned issue.

Many times the manufacturer has no idea there's an issue with the part, and goes ahead to install it. Us as consumers, will always run the risk of testing most of these parts, even if supposedly they have been used before-yet the formula changed a bit.
    One of your suggestions was to contact my local dealers about the rear end problem. This response you just gave must be a canned answer that Ford is telling their people to give to customers. The service mgr. at one of my local dealers gave me the same line of bull. I was going to ask what dealership you worked for so I could bring my truck in to you but I already see what response I will get. Look I don't mean to target the brunt of my frustration toward you but I do not believe that a company like Ford can use a supplier like Dana for rear ends and settle for faulty/cheap parts and not be able to accept the responsibility when they do so. A Service Mgr. told me that it was not Fords fault it was the supplier. I then asked for the suppliers phone # and a contact name and was told that the supplier did not take calls from Ford customers with problems. The redesigned Explorers came out in 01, how many years and how many rear end failures have to occur before Engineers at Ford will either fix the problem or find a new supplier. This is not rocket science but I guess Ford is smarter than all of us consumers because they can continue to build sub par vehicles with known mechanical problems and foolish people myself at one time included, will continue to buy them. I sure would like to hear others opinions on this subject.
    I do not deal directly with dealership experiences, other than taking care of it for friends (for other manufacturer's) when they can't resolve an issue. The same advice I'm giving you, is the same advice I've given friends whenever they have an issue over any vehicle.

If you understand the structure of how dealerships work, you will understand that it's not Ford's fault directly how a dealership treats you. There's certain limitations overall, the dealership is seen as a service center, and outlet. Or for another example, it's like returning an item to your favorite dept. store...If one won't do it, you try the other, and the other.

You could contact the supplier and your own, and vent your frustration, although their contract with Ford doesn't require them to even read or respond to your letter. And because of the contract, it means Ford is bound to them till the contract expires. At that time, Ford will assess if they wish to continue the contract with a certain supplier. We all saw what happened with the Ford/Firestone marriage.

Now pertaining to the current issue, it only affected certain '04 vehicles, because that's when the supplier messed up. The problem was caught, and rectified promptly. In your case I would continue to press the issue till you reach a resolution.

I myself have been known to drive to 7 counties, to get a friends POS Passat fixed, over an A/C mold issue that dealer's didn't wish to touch. It was an "interpretation" case.... I SMELLED it, they didn't. Hence, no one wanted to bother. Found one dealership 190 miles away that did.... (4th time the charm though). But I'm annoyingly persistant that way, others might not be.
  • I have a 03 Explorer that had the rear end 'whine' problem. It took about three visits to the dealer, but it did get fixed. I was just persistent and they finally told me that a fix was not yet available, although a fix was being worked on (I believe this was around Spring 04) and that they would call me when it was available.

Well they did call (yes, a minor miracle IMHO) and about 2 days later the problem was truly fixed. I have not had any problems at all since then. I believe they (Ford) replaced the rear end gears,etc.. (minus the housing).
    ANT14 Thanks for your responses to my questions.

Patrick9 how many miles were on your 03 and I am assuming that it was under warranty. How many miles on truck post repair?
    Still have 94 Explorer, 140,000 miles - original engine, transmission. Have only repaired A/C and normal wear items on truck since new.

Had 97 Mountaineer. No mechanical problems in 24,000 miles.

Had 98 Mountaineer. No mechanical problems in 30,000 miles.

Had 02 Mountaineer - No mechanical problems in 35,000 miles.

Have 04 Mountaineer - No mechanical problems so far in 8,000 miles. Although transmission sometimes misses a shift. I'm not ready to quit buying Ford products because of it though, after this kind of track record, if the transmission does fail on this one, I'll get Ford to fix it. Plenty of time left on the warranty. If the truck turns out to disappoint me, I will turn it back in when the lease is up and get another one. After all of these great trucks, I'm probably due for one with a glitch, don't you think? Unlike some people, I don't expect perfection, because they're machines and machines sometimes break. I just expect it to be fixed as agreed, by the manufacturer's authorized dealer. And usually, they do that pretty well, I've found at my Lincoln/Mercury dealer here.
  • My wife's '03 Explorer XLT V8 has been occasionally making a clunking noise and seems, at times, to "slip" at lower speeds. The vehicle has approximately 14,000 miles. Just got it back from the dealer for the second time. First time they said it was the transmission solenoid which they replaced. Noticed the "slipping" sensation again. Second time they couldn't find anything else wrong. I have also noticed a "clicking" sound when starting forward or backward from a standing stop. It almost sounds like the hubs unlocking on my old pickup. Dealer did not mention anything about any reoccurring rear-end problems. If anyone has any additional information on this issue, could you please post. THANKS!
  • We currently have approx. 13k miles on our Explorer. We noticed the rear-end whine very early on, and I think it finally got fixed at approx. 9-10k miles. So we have been driving with the fix for about 3-4k miles or so.

One other thing I should mention (see post just above). We also had an issue where it would feel like the transmission would 'slip' or 'shudder' when going around corners. For example, when making a right turn from a stop sign - you could feel a shudder or slip. I thought that problem was related to the rear-end whine issue, but it was not. This problem was fixed prior to the whine problem.

All of the above was corrected under warranty.