Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Evidently not a popular color in the Southwest. I can't place one in my mind....only the dark red. But whatever color it is, I don't think it should vibrate under hard acceleration.
  • brast69brast69 Posts: 17
    I had a 98 Mountaineer prior to my 2003, I had the same vibration under the drivers floorboard, I felt it on the gas pedle when I accelerated. Turns out it was a lot of work that needed to be done in the front transfer case,the front hub replaced, bearings, seals, gaskets etc. I only had maybe 40,000 miles when I needed that done. Its quite expensive...Maybe you should have the dealer absorb this costly repair.
    LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I have/had 3 Explorers. 1 with the engine that will come in the 1999 you are looking at (4.0L OHV V6). That old OHV V6 just ran like a champ, but was harsh feeling. It had the vibes that you mention, but it never had a problem because of it, and wasn't much more than a nussance. I would take the advice of some others here and have it checked over, by a trusted tech. Sounds like a good price. Goodluck.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    I went back today and looked it over again, drove it again, actually even let someone else drive and I just rode to pay attention to sounds etc. This car does have the OHV V6, rather than the SOHC V6 found in the XLT. The vibration is exactly as brast69 mentioned, I feel it in the driver's floor board and on the pedal. However, when riding in the passenger seat, I could still tell it. I'm taking the car all day tomorrow, would have brought it home tonight, but the dealer said 'due to our insurance policy, we cannot allow a vehicle off the lot when we are closed.' I think that's malarky myself, but, oh well. I am also taking it to my mechanic for them to look it over, drive it and see what they think about the vibration. I'd like to find another XLS with the OHV engine and see if it does the same. So far I've driven 2 XLTs with the SOHC engine, and it was smooth as silk, and it felt peppier. I went in heavily armed with trade in and retail values for the 2 cars I wanted to trade in, plus the autotrader page with the $12,650 price on it. This is when things began to get complicated. I had been dealing with 1 salesman...but he needed approval of his manager. Well, I went in and showed him the autotrader page, and he said "no problem, you can have it for that." Then when I popped in the idea of trading in an additional car, I was told "the manager is at a sale today, he will be back later this afternoon. Come back by then and bring your other trade for him to look at, and we'll see what we can do." I did just that, and here is what the manager told me: "Because this car (the second one) is so old (10 years) and has so many miles (109k), all I can give you is wholesale, because I'll just take it to the auction and sell it. It's worth about $2,000 wholesale." Kelley blue book told me trade in was $3,035, but according to this man, and another dealer I visited today "Kelley Blue Book is useless, don't go by what they say. All dealers and banks use the yellow NADA book, and the black book." That was comforting...NOT. Then, I noticed he was still going from the $13,900 ASKING price. I said "what happened to me getting the $12,650 advertised price?" B/S followed: "I put that price on there so if someone 600 miles away wants this car, they can come get it for that price, straight out, no trades. That is wholesale on that vehicle. If I sell it to you for wholesale, I'll have to give you wholesale on your trade" which was $4,000 instead of $5400. By the time I left that place, I didn't know which was my front from my back. I was offered a 60 month payment plan @ 6.99%. I went to another dealer and looked at, and drove a '00 XLT, which I ironically like LESS, but it is quite nicer than the XLS. It only has 24k miles, has a power moonroof, 6 disc changer, plus in dash cd and cassette, and all the other XLT goodies. Price for it is $18,500, and he would allow $100 more on the trade than the other dealer, $7500 rather than $7400 for both cars. But, rather than having a $6500 loan, I'll have a $11,000 loan for 60 months at 5.9%. The rear wiper on the XLT doesn't work, which was the same case with the other XLT I drove. I know it's a common problem with explorers, escapes, expeditions and windstars...but has there been a recall? Any other advice for me? I really appreciate what all you guys have said so far, it's been helpful!
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    I'd expect that XLT wiper to be repaired before the trade went down, and I can tell you my old 93 XLT was a good vehicle. I now drive a 2002 Mountaineer. Good luck. I'd forget the orange vibrator!
    Have the dealer repair the wiper and whatever else you can find wrong...Because as soon as you purchase the vehicle, its on you!! Definately forget the orange vibrator, if you really want vibrations buy a HARLEY...........
  • heintz1heintz1 Posts: 52
    I'm the original owner of a 2002 V8, 4WD XLT w/ towing package (the vehicle is 18 months old, with 41,000 miles and counting), and for several months now I've noticed the following: When driving on the highway at ~65-85+ mph, when I tap off the cruise ctrl. or take my foot of the accelerator, and let the truck coast, I feel a somewhat coarse vibration from somewhere under the truck (and I even hear an accompanying, soft "growling" sound) as the vehicle's speed rapidly bleeds off. A few months ago, a Ford service advisor drove the truck on the highway while I sat in the passenger seat, and he seemed to feel there was nothing to worry about. Within the next several weeks, I plan to take it in to have a Ford technician evaluate this issue, but I'd first like to know if anyone here might have any ideas about this. FWIW, I've purchased Ford's 100,000 mile extended warranty, so I'm not concerned about repair costs at this point. At any rate, I don't know jack about vehicles, but I'm wondering if this could be some type of a bearing problem? Any thoughts?
    yeah,
    Look at message 1409...Maybe that will help you out. It starts out as a vibration, eventually you will start to hear a "humming" sound then its time to take it in for the front end repairs.
  • heintz1heintz1 Posts: 52
    #1409 is interesting, but I don't have ANY vibration problems when accelerating.
    I'd give some attention to the transfer case. I can't give a bullet proof rationale, but I suspect your "chain case" may be the source of the noise on deceleration. Also, consider the universal joints. Over the years I have noted that they can get loud when going out. I had none of these troubles with my 1993 Explorer-- the only Explorer I have owned. I lost the drum in gear number two and that cost me $1100.00. I went from there to a Ranger, and now have a Mountaineer.
    This is a chronic issue on all Ford SUVs, not just explorers, and from what I've read on these boards, it has to do with a position adjustment sensor on the motor. Sometimes jiggling will get it started, but that's just temporary. Every Ford built SUV from Mercs to Lincolns have done this, sometimes twice during my ownership. I don't know what they do to fix it, it's always covered, but it's cheap, so probably not much of a big deal. I would demand that it be fixed before I take delivery though. If you're not happy with the XLT, price and all, then keep looking. Explorers are a dime a dozen out there, the right one for you is out there. Don't settle, and stay away from the Orange one that vibrates.....
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    I know, it's against your recomendations, but I just can't swing the cost of the XLT. Besides, the XLS is everything I need and want. After driving it again today, I told the dealer that I want the thumping and the vibrating addressed, and was told the car will be going into the garage on Monday for further evaluation. If I didn't mention it before, I took it to my mechanic on Friday (I drove the car all day long) and he noticed a "thump" coming from the rear end as you first take off, and it also happens some times when you accelerate from a steady speed as if to pass or something. I told them I wanted all of this addressed, and fixed if needed before I buy it. The deal stands at $8500 right now, but I offered them $7900 today. The salesman just laughed, and I said "what, did I say something funny?" It broke the ice, and I'll stand firm on that $7900 on Monday or whenever I get back to the dealer. I'm also going to purchase an extended 3 year/36,000 mile "compelete" warranty, that, as the dealer mentioned "is just like a factory warranty. The only items not covered are wear items." He quoted me a price of $1,052. He did not say if there was a deductable or not, I will find out on Monday. The dealer mentioned that the "thumping" and the vibration could be the drive shaft. He said he's seen the same problem NUMEROUS times on Rangers in the age range of 98-01. He said the Explorer may be the same way, and he could fix that no problem. Any other suggestions? You guys have been great so far. I like having this kind of info to throw in their face when I get to the dealership hahaha. Thanks again!
    Well, MY Ranger never thumped or vibrated, and it now has 170,000 miles on it. This car sounds like there's a reason it has low mileage on it, and it's not granny driving it to church on sunday. Sounds like this trucks been over the AlCan or something and lost. Buy it if you must, but what I DON'T want to see is an endless tirade on these board from you about how BAD Explorers are because this one scares the hell out of me....

Good luck.
    DO NOT BUY THE WARRANTY FROM THE DEALER...BUY IT DIRECT. It is cheaper and you have your choice of deductables, and you will eliminate the salesmans commision. It is the same exact place where the dealer gets it. Go to the website and look at it. The site is www.fordesp.com. (The ESP stands for Extended Service Plan). I made the mistake of purchasing it from the dealer the first time BUT for my 2nd truck I went directly to the website and purchased it!!!! GOOD LUCK
  • fineman2fineman2 Posts: 22
    HI,

Has anyone bought a 2003 explorer XLT 4X4 recently in central NJ. I am looking for one and would appreciate any clues about the price.

Thanks,
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    the shafts will just be out of alignment, and that's got a procedure in the manual to follow for getting them back into the groove. but I wouldn't pay a nickel until/unless it rides smoothly.
    Go to Reedman in Langhorn, Pennsylvania. (:o]

I bought a brand new 1990 Dodge Ramcharger there, obviously about 13 years ago. It was a good experience back then. You might pop over there and check it out. They had most every brand of car at the place.
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I took a stab at doing a home fix on this little problem when it showed up in both my 1999 Expedition and my wifes 2000 Explorer. I found out from reading here that it isn't actually the motor that is to blame, but the bracket that holds it in place. It bends with time and then wont allow the wiper to make contact with the switch that signals that it is in the rest or service position. All I did was get my saw and cut about 1/4 of an inch off of the arm that comes off of the wiper which allows it to rest in the bracket on the door. This allows the wiper to come down far enough to contact the switch and has been working fine for some time now. I guess only more time will tell is this is a permanent fix or not.
    Ok, just wanted to pass that on to anyone who is interested ;-)
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    thought about it once, but only had to have the original motor assembly changed. thanks!