Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    My co-worker bought (leased) the 2002 Mountaineer that I had described prior to this post. I was somewhat concerned that she was missing a few things that she might want, as I mentioned before, but the items you all came back with seemed unimportant to her/family. As it was just delivered yesteryday, there are very few miles on it (so far)... it's amazingly smooth and solid. I know they love it so far. They paid $250 over invoice to a non-local Mercury dealer.

Surprisingly, it's got a lot more "goodies" than the 2002 Explorer that I investigated myself, and a lot more neat extras that were not expected til it was here. Memory 1-2 seats, heated seats, fog lights, lights that illuminate when the remote entry button's pressed, just nice little treats for the owner. Personally, I think the 3rd rear seat option with the V6 is nifty - there are not very many with these luxury items, the high-tech look, and the use of the 3rd rear seat with a high-output 6 cylinder.

So far, so good! I guess I will keep you all posted. I learn a lot here, and will monitor this area to learn more about these cars. They certainly are good looking and definitely unusual.

-Ret
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I've had my new explorer for a week now, and love it. It was built on May 9, and I took delivery on May 28. 3 days short of 10 weeks for the order. No wonder sales are down. No one here had what I wanted, so I had to order. The HomeLink and adjustable pedals were in it, but no telescoping steering wheel.
  • jmfreshourjmfreshour Posts: 57
    Hi all, my wife and I rented an XLT for the weekend to see if we could really live with this new model as a daily driver. We also test drove a Mountaineer. The answer from the queen was a resounding yes, but we have to get one with all of the bells and whistles (just got my masters so looking to reward myself). As the Eddie Bauer and the Mountaineer are mechanically simliar (with the exception of 4wd vs AWD), we are cross-shopping the two, as I am sure many of you are. However, after pricing both of them with all the options that the Mrs. wants, the EB comes in $1,200 higher than the Mountaineer both on the invoice and MSRP. I e-mailed a local Ford dealer to see why the discrepancy exists, but have yet to receive a response. Are there any Ford dealers/salespeople on this forum that could provide a reasonable answer to this question? An interesting side note, I noticed on the Mountaineer that the engine and transmission come from Germany and France, respectively. Is nothing sacred anymore? I guess that it's just globalization at its best. Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    IN this arena, the reasons for the Mountaineer were as follows:

1. More goodies for the Mountaineer than on the Explorer for the same price, or too close to worry about.
    2. the looks, the looks. Mountaineer's front grill area, odd headlights, and rear grill-guard appearing tail lights were too good to pass up.
    3. Resale.
    4. Color schemes.
    5. seats - two tone, high quality.
    6. digital information system in dash with running totals of miles, miles to empty, etc.

-Ret
    Many thanks, Ret, for the reasons; I agree with every one of them. I just can't comprehend why the powers-that-be at Ford Motor Company would pull a boneheaded move like pricing the two similar vehicles that far apart. I guess that there are some consumers that will pay $1,200 to have the words "Eddie Bauer" on their vehicle. Each to their own. We all buy want we want, right? I, for one, prefer the way that the Mountaineer looks and the AWD that is different than the EB's auto 4wd. I realize that some may need 4wd-lo, and thus, the EB is the only option, but AWD will suffice for me.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Posts: 96
    I will be ordering a 2002 Mountaineer as soon as the Advance Trac is available. I have seen many of you guys are previous Explorer owners. I see on the new 2002 with the trailer tow package a two inch by two inch female receptacle.

I have the Limited Slip and trailer tow package on my 96 XLT Control Trac. The bike rack I want to buy now fits the 2002 two inch receptacle, so it will work on my new 2002 Mountaineer. Will the bike rack also work with my old 96 Explorer? Thank You. And enjoy your new trucks, I cant wait till i get mine
  • pilot16pilot16 Posts: 10
    I had the Queen cheeck the new Exploder against the Mountaineer and the Merc seems better built. She drives a 93 Exploder and is ready to trade. The 7 seat option is important and we noticied a difference between Merc. and Ford. The Ford seems kinda cheap and doesn't have the fit and finish the Queen demands. She likes the ride in both.
    Are we married to the same woman? Couldn't agree with you more on the Merc vs. Ford. The Merc just seems "richer" to me. Plus, comparably equipped, it's cheaper than the Ford. Go figure.
  • fastbuckfastbuck Posts: 11
    My 2002 6 cylinder 4WD XLT hasn't hit 1K miles yet, but so far I'm barely surpassing 13 mpg on about a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving.

What kind of gas mileage are others getting with this setup?
  • rollierrollier Posts: 8
    Fastbuck: My 2002 4.0 2wd Mountaineer (V-6 4.0) is averaging 16.5 MPG at 50-50 city and expressway driving at 2000 miles. Went to Pittsburgh over the weekend from Toledo (245 mi each way) and averaged 23.5 on the road at 65-70 MPH. I am really pleased. Air conditioning running(front and rear) for the whole trip with light luggage and two adults.
  • mansingmansing Posts: 1
    Does any body has any information on 2002 Mountaineer:
    1. Gas milage for Mountaineer with 4.0 liter 6 cylinder AWD.
    2. Noise from AWD when driving above 70 MPH.

Appreciate any information that you can provide.
  • lindamanlindaman Posts: 3
    My new 2002 explorer, 430mi, up shifts harshly between 25-30 mph when the gas pedal is release. There is a thud, clank, shudder of the drive train. Anyone else experience this? What has dealer done to correct it? Seems like it could cause transmission, drive train problems.
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    Sounds like you better get some warranty service before you break something!
  • I agree with mazman. Get the thing into the shop. We picked up our 02 Exploder last week, and have not experienced these symptoms.
  • mry0716mry0716 Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the 02 EB Explorer and finding them very pricey ($36-37K) considering I am just looking for a better seat than the XLT comes with. I have looked at the 02 Mountaineer and would be very happy with the option level of a stripped model at about $31K. I'd be OK with AWD vs. 4WD. However, the ride is kinda soft with the factory tires and shocks. I'd say for less than $200 per wheel for parts (less if I could resell the "used" tires), the tires and shocks could be replaced and I'd get a more truck like ride. Does anyone have an opinion on how practical of an idea this is? Tires are easy to get, but when would I find some good aftermarket shocks (like a Bilstein) available. Does anyone know who the OEM shock supplier is?
    The shocks that Ford supplies with the vehicle are garbage. I replaced mine with Bilsteins and the handling and cornering is far superior to the Ford shocks. The only thing is that Bilsteins are not cheap. I also have heard good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks, but are also expensive. The Michelins supplied on your vehicle are probably the best all around tire you can get. Since the Mountaineer is not set up for sand or off road, you just really need a mud and snow road tire.
  • mry0716mry0716 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.

What is Bilstein part number for 02 Explorers, I can't find it listed.

The tires I have seen on the 02 Mountaineer are Goodyear Eagle LS, not Michelins.

If I was to do a swap, I'd put the Explorer Michelins on it, mostly to stiffen the ride. I drive a lot in snow and rain, but don't plan on going "off road" by choice.
    Check out Bilstein's website for the part numbers for your vehicle... www.bilstein.com

The Michelins will give a softer ride than the Goodyear Eagles because they have softer (less dense) treads. That also means that they puncture more easily and wear out after anout 40K miles.

I'd stick with the Goodyears that you have. They are good tires, and unless you can sell them to defray the cost of the more expensive Michelins, you probably wont realize a big difference in ride or fun.

BTW, I live in NYC, and they are stealing Michelin tires off of explorers here, probably because of the shortage of these tires. I've seen a few explorers up on blocks in the morning with their tires gone. I'd also invest in lug nut locks.

Good luck
  • stewtostewto Posts: 11
    As to some of the questions above: with my 1,500 mile '02 AWD 6 cyl Mountaineer...

I have the same experience with the harsh up shift between 25-30 mph when the gas pedal is released. A Ford factory rep called me last week to interview new owners (I am impressed with that). It was a very thorough interview - about an hour. In discussing the transmission characteristics including above and others, he said "it's a learning transmission, and that by 2,000 miles it should stop doing this" however he also noted there is a fix' at the dealer for those transmissions where something is wrong. Mine goes in Monday to have it looked at and fix what I hope are some other minor things.

As for gas mileage - I'm getting 14-16 around town, and 20 - 21 on trips - both cases A/C always running.

Someone above asked about AWD drive noise above 70MHP - I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary so far.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Which Tires have the softest ride? is it the Michelins or Goodyears or BF Goodrich's, i've been hearing some people tell me the Goodyears have a soft ride and others say michelins have a soft ride, anything on BF Goodrich Tires?
  • I'm sorry, but I have to make this post. We got our 2002 XLT 1 1/2 weeks ago (with V8 I might add), and so far I can't say enough about it. Acceleration is great, fit/finish great, no squeaks or rattles, and the ride/handling is very good. I'm impressed so far. This is our first SUV, and thus far I can't see where we could have made a better choice. I really like this thing!!!
  • wgraferwgrafer Posts: 591
    Had my '02 XLT since March, 4600 trouble free miles - until last week. Opened glass hatch and when I went to close it it SHATTERRED! Right in my face! No personal damage (except small cut on hand where it disintegrated). I THINK the attachment on the left pneumatic mis-aligned and stressed the glass. I had already taken it in for the 'recall' way back when, but that was on the hinges only. Went to dealer and asked if he saw many of these, he said 'not until today' -- mine was the second one in one day! Anyway, I'm driving a courtesy car until they can get some new windows in stock. Other than this (which I hope is not usual) it has been GREAT - much more forgiving handling and better ride than my old '98 EB or '95 XLT. Anyone else heard about shattering rear windows???
  • trevinbtrevinb Posts: 1
    Two weeks ago I was at a dealer comparing the Mountaineer vs. the Explorer. The sales person had all the doors open with the glass hatch up while we were looking at a Mountaineer. While my wife was sitting in the third row, the glass hatch exploded! The sales person was standing under the hatch and was slightly cut. The pnematic arm on the glass had come undone causing stress on the glass.
    sounds like ford wants to let those disgruntles
    calling the explorer the exploder...

i ll buy another one anyway...cause overall..they do a fine job
  • eweygrineweygrin Posts: 33
    Two weeks ago, the left gas cylindar broke loose on my wife's 02 Mountaineer. Caused body damage. Was in body shop for 5 days. I told dealer to double check the left cylindar. On Sat in a funeral home parking lot (during my dad's wake) the left one broke loose. I was fuming. The timing couldn't have been any worse. Couldn't close the glass, cylindar was sticking outof the vehicle. I really needed the 7 passenger capability of that vehicle and Ford let me down. I was so embarassed and upset over the whole situation. THANKS FORD. MY DAD WAS A FORD RETIREE WHO HAD A LOT OF PRIDE IN YOUR COMPANY. YOU LET US DOWN.
    so sorry about your dad
  • stewtostewto Posts: 11
    To the people who have had the rear glass break, is there something we should look at to prevent this from happening? (I've asked my dealer twice and in so many words they said they don't care).

Thanks
  • davipardavipar Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a new 2002 Explorer and wondered if anyone knows the current incentive interest rates that Ford is offering for a four (4) year loan? Also, I currently own a 95' Explorer and had heard about a $750 owner loyality rebate that was being offered to present Explorer owners if they buy a new Explorer. Does anyway know if this is true and any details?
    Thanks
  • fsmasekfsmasek Posts: 14
    I thank this discussion group for allerting me to the $1,200 price advantage of the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer over a 2002 Ford Explorer. We had rented an Explorer while on a trip and liked it, although the V6 is slow after 30MPH. The new GM Bravada, Envoy, and Trailblazer have an excellent engine, but lack the independent rear suspension, 3rd row seat, and side curtain air bags. I was offered 3% over invoice by two dealers - Tustin Lincoln Mercury and Galpin Lincoln Mercury. I ordered a Mountaineer equipped with 2 wheel drive, V8, Convenience Group, Luxury Group, Trailer Towing Prep. Package (to get the 3.73 rear axle ratio for better acceleration), Air Conditioning, Automatic Rear, Radio System, audiophile, Restraint system, front & 2nd row side impact air bags, Reverse sensing system, Seats, Leather Surfaced Sport Bucket, (5) P245/70R16 Goodyear BSW tires, Exterior Color Mineral Grey Metallic, and Interior color Parchment, Medium. I will pay cash, and the total with tax and license will be about $35,500. Santa Margarita Ford offered me $1,000 over invoice, which is also about 3% over invoice.
  • lindamanlindaman Posts: 3
    The harsh shift problem was fixed by dealer. there is a TSB out on this issue. Explorere built before 5/21 may have this problem and can be fixed via a transmission programming change. Works fine after the update.