Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "Are they leaving the V6 as is?"

Minor refinements.
  • "I tell you guys I am sorry to say but I will not be purchasing anymore American vehicles. This Mercury has given me a bad impression of American products and the quality and worksmanship that goes into the vehicle let alone the service from the dealership."

You shouldn't get a bad impression of all American vehicles from one experience. The worst car I have ever had, as far as breakdowns and repairs, was (surprisingly) a Honda Accord, but that doesn't mean that all Japanese cars have poor quality and workmanship.
  • 02xls02xls Posts: 40
    "You shouldn't get a bad impression of all American vehicles from one experience" This is true 02mnt6sux, so go ahead and read thru the pages on this Explorer board and you will find many more experiences to prove that your impression is correct.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,755
    02mnt6sux and 02xls; guess you would have been happier if you had an 02eb, like me. look at it this way, how many '02-05 explorers did ford sell? oh, add mountaneers to that. how many different people are complaining here?
    02eb WOW I'm impressed! With Ford's A-Z plans, number of dealerships, fleet and government programs, low rate financing/rebate offers, Explorer, MM and Aviator offerings along with a dollar amount well into the millions spent in advertising dollars, Ford should be able to sell a lot of vehicles. Who knows how many are complaining, more than a few.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Thanks ANT for your quick reply. I think I will wait for the 06 Explorer in August....one final question, is the 06 being displayed at the current Auto shows?....maybe the one in NYC?....it sounds good..very good....I have an 02 Limited and it has been terrific after 31,000 miles...have looked at other SUVs (even more Luxury ones)and they do not even match the value vs price that the Explorers (and Expdetions) offer....
    In the current shows (and the one's that just finished) the Sport Trac concept was shown, moreso because that vehicle needs more exposure. In Chicago, you will see Mercury Mountaineer version. You might see the Explorer in other shows mainly because the Mountaineer and Sport Trac need more exposure. Everyone knows the Explorer and it's no issue selling, so there's a bit more concentration earlier on ST and Mountaineer's.
  • Hi 02. I am sorry to hear about your problems. I have two EB Explorers 1997 & 98 and they have served me well. Sounds like you got one being built maybe on shift change or defective parts. It unexcuseable for a dealership to have your car for the length of time you have mentioned. I would go directly to the service manager and go over your concerns again. Tell him that you want their best mechanic to work on your car and get these problems resolved within a day or so. Ask about a car upgrade, another Mountaineer. Parts shouldn't be a problem even if they have to replace the entire window regulator or track system. I would ask the Service mgr that if he can't get this car fixed who should you contact at Ford? Service manager want to get you problem resolved and not have you go to Ford about your problem. Hopefully the service Mgr will do his all for you. Also are they a Blue Oval dealership? You could also take this car to a Ford Dealer in your area if you feel you will get the service you deserve. They might baulk, but tell them what you have gone thru. Maybe they can do better. As to the extended Warranty. If they offer it to you free take it,just make sure it is the Ford warranty and nothing else. But here is what you want. You want a 100,000. Zero deductible extended warranty. The $50.00 is good but try for the zero and see. The extended warranty will add resale value to your car if you decide to get rid of the car, plus anyone who inherits your problems will have some comfort in knowing that the warranty will cover it and you will have peace of mind about Ford fixing it right hopefully. Every MFG has some problems or other whether foreign or US. I would call to speak with the service manager ahead of time so he knows to expect your car and can attend to your problems properly.Also their is usually a Ford service rep who visits dealership on a monthly basis as to deal with concerns like yours. Ask to know when he is coming to the dealership and make an appointment. Double check this as sometimes their schedules can change on the expected day they are to show up. Most of the time they will be at a dealership for ½ or most of the day to go over any problems with other cars or people issues. Parts shouldn't be an issue as most dealers now a days get parts everyday or next day if they are not in stock. I know this for a fact so don't let them fool you. Again check to see if this is a blue oval dealership. Blue oval dealerships must meet certain standards to carry that kind of quality service. Another idea would be to go too your sales person or dealership owner and explain your problem to them. I would write all this out and go paper in hand to whomever you are speaking too. Make several copies and keep a file so everything is together,names dates, times etc. Let me know how you fair. I hope it works out.
  • I have a 2005 XLT with Michelin Cross Terrain Tires. Here is my question. When driving in the snow in 4x4 Auto the truck does not feel very stable. It feels almost like I am sliding. I then proceed to put it in 4x4 High. I don't hear any clunking or feel anything different. The 4x4 High light illuminates on the dash, but the truck still feels like it is sliding. Is it possible that even though the 4x4 light on the dash is on, that the truck is still in 2WD mode? I had a 92 XLT a few years back. I seem to recall that when I locked that thing in 4x4, it went straight as an arrow. It felt as if I was driving on a dry road. Can the Cross Terrains be that bad? Any input would be appreciated.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ...makes sense..again thanks for your insights...I can't help but wonder how "close" you really are to Ford...
  • Well spoken, explorerx4.

02xls, I beleive his point is similiar to one I have made before; yes, more Explorers are sold than any other SUV, but the important point is to look at how few complaints there are in comparison.

Complaints are reported to the media, to the NHTSA and BBB, and in forums such as this. However, there aren't a disproportionate number of Explorer complaints anywhere. Every major production vehicle has a "[vehicle]: Problems and Solutions" board on these forums filled with defects and other complaints, and since Ford does sell so many Explorers you would expect to see alot more complaints than other makes/models. However, this is not the case.
  • My boyfriend bought a 2004 Ford Explorer last year, WITH the 3rd row seat. He wanted to get a cargo shade for it (and I was going to purchase it for him as a gift). However, I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time.

Is it possible to use a rear cargo shade if the vehicle also has the 3rd row seats? I found someplace that has a very good deal on them, but don't want to buy it and find out it won't work.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    from those of you in the know...I just read (Motor Trend?) about the 2006 Sport Trac, and what I noticed was one of my favorite features, a new shifter on the floor/console instead of the column, just like the new F150 Lariat...if the Sport Trac will have the floor shifter, will it also be available on the Explorer/Mountaineer??? If yes, it could give me serious competetion for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, especially if the Ex/Moun also offers a 4WD option with hi and lo range...further, will the 4.6L 3 valve engine put out more than the current 239 HP and 220(??) ft lbs of torque...while the 2004 Mount that I test drove was peppy with 239 HP, having 275 or 300 can't hurt...:):):):):)...then it might compete with my Ram Hemi at 340 HP...
    Yes, it'll have a floor mounted shifter.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,755
    i think the 2v 4.6 has around 280 ft lbs of torque. the 2v mustang went from 260 hp to 300 with the 3v. i am only trying to recall the published numbers.
    Yes, although the Explorer will not have the exact 300HP and 320TQ that they Mustang sports. That's accomplished through special tuning which makes the best use of it's much ligher body, and higher revving nature.

The Explorer will have a detuned version of that version, making more torque at lower RPM's for hauling/towing capacity.
    BOB, look I agree with you that Ford has built and sold more than any other SUV, I listed the reasons and ways that they have done this in my last post. With this said disregard for a moment the actual number of complaints pertaining to the Explorer,MM, and Aviator and look closer at the content of these posts. Rear Ends replaced on the same vehicle multiple times, power windows not working, faulty fuel gauges, loss of oil pressure, rear hatch falling and glass breakage, multiple transmission problems, seats not functioning properly, having to replace brake pads @ 13,500 miles, blown speakers, A/C vent problems..... this is just to name a few. Not to mention the noted multiple trips to the dealer to address the same problems again and again, many times with no resolution, that many have mentioned. I know that you are going to say many of these problems are minor. But how many people out there want to spend $25,000.00 plus on a vehicle and have to deal with trips to the service dept. to have the brake pads replaced after 13,500 miles because the manufacturer used a low priced supplier or installed them incorrectly?
  • Sure, we can look at the content of these posted complaints. But since we all know that you like to make a claim and greatly exaggerate it, we need to look at the whole picture. There are also many owners who have posted on here that they have not had any troubles, right? That is why you cannot exclude the actual number of complaints. As I have said before, for every one person on here complaining there are a dozen out there who are happy.

But let's go beyond these forums. Let's get to the bottom of this issue once and for all.

We should consult some industry experts, people who research automotive reliability for a living, who know much more about this topic than you, I, or anyone on these forums. Experts like the people of Automotive Information Systems.

Wait, MSN Autos has already done that! "Determining vehicle reliability is an exacting task requiring professional skills, knowledge, and a wealth of information. That’s why MSN Autos partners with industry-leading Automotive Information Systems (AIS) for top-notch reliability data on all listed automobiles. the nation's largest and most comprehensive source of automotive repair knowledge regarding vehicle parts that break, model lines affected, and how best to make repairs.” How does MSN Autos rate the Explorer as far as reliability? Four out of five, not bad for any mid-sized SUV!

OK, but what about information available to consumers also? Well, that would have to be Consumer Reports! "Expert testing of thousands of products." For automotive, they anonymously buy vehicles and drive them thousands of miles. Oh, and they also survey 675,000 consumers annually, the most comprehensive automotive reliability market research project in the world. So, what does CR think of the current-generation Explorer? They rate it "average" in reliability, stating that it is improving over past model years. You yourself admit the old ones were solid trucks. The new ones are better still! And, CR now recommends the Explorer based on performance, RELIABILITY, and safety.

Still not enough? Alrighty, lets check out the Office of Defects Investigation. They accept complaints direct from consumers and then investigate. This government office, a branch of the NHTSA, is the one who makes manufacturers issue recalls. Surely if, as you say, there are a lot of people out there in hiding who are having problems with their vehicles, that have somehow been overlooked by all the other research, we'd find them here right? You're unlucky again. They only conducted 3 investigations on the Explorer in 2002, all closed with no recalls issued. 2003, 2004, 2005? NONE!

Now what about the good old US legal system? The last recourse of a frustrated consumer who isn't getting help on his problems would be to try and get the car labeled as a lemon. By definition, a "lemon" means, as you yourself state, "noted multiple trips to the dealer to address the same problems again and again, many times with no resolution." So are there a disproportionate number of lemon law cases for the Explorer? You know the answer!

OK, so even though the Explorer is the best selling mid-size SUV, if your claims are correct than people would never buy another one, would they? Wrong again buddy! The Explorer has been highest in owner loyalty for 14 years. That's right, people love them so much, they buy another!

Oh yea, I forgot to illustrate, again, how you take some little piece of information and blow it all out of proportion. Those brake pads you were talking about? That was my post. I had written that I thought they needed to be changed, and the rotors turned, probabaly because I have been really hard on them. Well, it turned out that the slight vibration I felt when braking was just a tire that was out of balance. Oh, but you were quick to jump to all kinds of conclusions: "Low priced [break pad] supplier"? [pads] "installed incorrectly"? You need to either get your facts straight and stop making all of these ridiculous claims, or just shut up altogether.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "this is just to name a few. Not to mention the noted multiple trips to the dealer to address the same problems again and again, many times with no resolution, that many have mentioned."

This is a sore point with me. It took THREE TRIPS TO THE DEALER before they finally ordered a new door handle for the driver's side that was rattling. This is inexcusable! IT'S A DOOR HANDLE...... NOT A TRANNY OR SOMETHING!! Give me a BREAK!!
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    Will the refreshened 06 Explorers have an availble factory navigation system? It seems like most of it's competition already have them availble.
  • I am sorry that your dealer either had trouble diagnosing the problem and/or was reluctant to make it right. I would suggest that, for any future concerns, you find a service department who is concerned with customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, many major car dealers seem to be having trouble in these areas.
  • I get so tired of these "slippery slopes"!

There are complaints on every vehicle board on this site, be it a Chevy Trailblazer, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg, Kia Sportage, and on and on... It's pretty much the same each time, an individual has a problem and unfortunately has a dealer who can't diagnose it, doesn't know how to fix it, or just doesn't care about customer service and is unwilling to make it right. So he vents his frustrations.

But then for some reason you people, who seem to have it out for Ford, blow it all out of proportion and make all sorts of slippery arguments. "Yeah, Ford made a really bad product this time. Don't buy one of these, or you will have problems, too. They are bad. If you have to buy one for whatever reason, get a big warranty, you'll definately need it." And all of this is based on a personal experience and/or some negative posts, with nothing to support all of the claims made.

In fact, all of the evidence (and industry leaders, and experts' opinions, and market research and studies, and independent secondary researchers, and investigational organizations, etc. etc!) show just the opposite. They all show that the Explorer is an overall reliable choice, and if you buy one you don't have any greater chance of having some kind of problem than the average car.

So, you people keep it up. Keep making your unsupported and incomplete arguments. And I'll keep citing facts and research (from people who actually know what they are talking about) that show you are wrong.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It'll work fine, unless the seat is up. Then you'll have a problem. Keep the seat down, and it's fine, otherwise, you need to take it out.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I have to wonder though - these problems I have never experienced on any of my Explorers, so...... blown speakers? 13,000 mile brakes? I can get somewhere between 30,000 to 60,000 miles out of a set of brakes on every Explorer I've owned, if they can only get 13,500 out of theirs, and the speakers are blown too, I am starting to understand what's wrong with their truck.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    My wife's Explorer got 32,000 miles on the original brakes. She probably could have gone 35K, but she is a teacher and we took advantage of a vacation period and had the brakes changed. As far as the speakers are concerned, the only way I know to blow speakers is to turn them up all the way with the wrong kind of song playing. A song heavy in bass will blow speakers if you turn them up all the way.... Overall it's been an OK SUV. I purchased a extended warranty to cover the rear end. It's almost out of warranty with 35,500 miles on it!
  • ottavottav Posts: 31
    I was just on the media.ford.com website looking at the 2006 Mountaineer. It looks great, and they've addressed a lot of the complaints of my 2002. My question to you: my lease is up on September 10. Will the 2006's be in the showroom by then? If not, do you think there is a way to extend my Red Carpet Lease a few months so I can wait for one?
    It should be entering in the market just around when your lease is up. I would call RedCarpet Lease and ask if you could extend it pending the purchase of a vehicle that has not yet been released. Moreso, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do so.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    That new Mountaineer interior is looks really nice and finally there will be a DVD Navigation system.
  • ottavottav Posts: 31
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I'm really impressed on the number of improvements they've made to the 2006. From the interior to the stiffer frame and new IRS. From earlier reports I had read, this was only going to be a minor update. It's changed my mind to not get a leftover 2005 and wait for a 2006.