Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in speaking with people who used to own a Ford Explorer, but have since traded it in for a different vehicle. If you’re a former Explorer owner and would be interested in speaking with this reporter, please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 28.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    According to USA Today AND EDMUNDS - SUV resale value is going down fast...

www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-07-24-old-suvs-usat_x.htm
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,681
    these things go in cycles. summer is not the best time to sell an suv, at least where i live. sort of like selling a convertible in the winter.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Which is why I'm glad I lease. Residual is already set. If the truck tanks, I just give it back to Ford, lease another one, or something else. If the residual is a great buy at the end of the lease, I sometimes buy the vehicle out of the lease and keep it, or sell it.
  • levymanlevyman Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer with a v6 engine and 32,000 miles. Leather seats, 6 CD changer. Drove it today and liked it alot. Just wondering what some owners say about the vehicle and if they would recommend it. Have had a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with around 145,000 miles on it and I think it's on it's last legs. Any suggestions or opinions would be great!!! Thanks!!
    GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY.
    Shop around.
    Good prices on the net. Make sure it is a FORD WARRANTY!!

Potential rear-end problems. transmission solenoid, reflash of computer for transmission, power window motors.
    Are you buying from a Ford or L/M dealer? If so, demand they run an Oasis on the car, see what has been done to it already in the way of service or warranty work. They're a good car - but some of them do have the problems Chuck mentioned. The Transmission problem with the Solenoid is really an 04 problem, not 02, but a reflash could be needed. I've never had the whining rear end problem, but lots of them did - however, that's also mostly an 03 problem.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,681
    have an '02 explorer. had a reflash, but i didn't notice any difference. tranny got softer and the first to second gear shift had more hesitation and flair as the miles accumulated.
    the tranny flush recommended by service at 30k fixed all that.
    don't point it out to sales and expect it to be done. just set aside the money for it and have it done as part of scheduled service.
    have 47k miles and the rear axle has gotten noisy. my warranty is to 75k, so i'm not in a hurry to get it fixed(yet). i really don't know how prevelant this problem is, but it is not unheard of.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Ant,

Thanks for theformative post.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the Mountaineer prices. I expected a big jump due to powertrain improvements and added content, and the apparent demise of the Aviator.
    IT looks and (prices) sound great. Now all they have to do is make with a transmission that doesn't need a solenoid or a reflash, and a rear end that doesn't whine. Or for that matter any new problems or "bugs" that surface in this new model. LOL!
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,501
    Here's our version of the story:

Ford Cuts Price of Redesigned 2006 Explorer (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    Explorers are now going out the door for up to $10,000 below sticker. The sticker has always been fiction and now it's become BOTH fiction AND fantasy! Sure, Ford lowered the "sticker" price a little. But, again, the actual transaction prices won't be cut. In the current world, the manufacturers don't price vehicles anyway. The MARKET does. Probably the '06 will command more bucks than the '05s did for a little while as "have to have the first one" folks pony up. But by Xmas, especially if gas stays high/goes higher, dealer lots will be LITTERED with Explorers/Mountaineers and rebates will be back again so these will move in the below 30K price range...as set by the MARKET, not FORD.

GM and FORD COULD control prices if they were able to cut production. But until the companies restructure (which won't happen until the next recession/depression causes a true crisis), they'll muddle along building more vehicles than the market really can support thereby causing their vehicle prices to remain lower than what they used to get. Heck, I paid $33,000 for my loaded Mountaineer 3 years ago. Today I can buy the same '05 for about $29,000. Again, supply and demand. A little better quality wouldn't hurt either.
    Good point about the market.

Let's take this over to Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: Prices Paid & Buying Experience or to one of the News & Views discussions. Someone may be here just to learn about the Explorer/Mountaineer.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Ford lowered the "sticker" price a little. But, again, the actual transaction prices won't be cut. In the current world, the manufacturers don't price vehicles anyway. The MARKET does. Probably the '06 will command more bucks than the '05s did for a little while as "have to have the first one" folks pony up"

I agree 100%! Hey! Ford, GM, everyone else - the days of the SUV as a profit center is gone! You guys better figure out how to make money on crossovers and cars!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    to Edmunds policy, but it is ironic that nvbanker sold his 2002 M'eer and levyman wants to buy one...they shoulda just hooked up and made both happy... :P ;)
  • Check out the car based SUV-like vehicles like Honda Pilot. These have the butch look of an SUV but a unit-body car construction, thus they are lighter in weight, higher in gas mileage, and lower overall cost of operation. Also see the other forum as moderator suggests. :P
    "Check out the car based SUV-like vehicles like Honda Pilot"

Yea-go check it out all right. There are several owners over there (Pilot Board) who have hurt their vehicles by towing. While they have the "look", they can't match a "body on frame" SUV for towing capacity. Currently, there is someone over on that board trying to figure out how to tow 3,500 lbs without the transmission ripping out!
    "Check out the car based SUV-like vehicles like Honda Pilot. These have the butch look of an SUV but a unit-body car construction, thus they are lighter in weight, higher in gas mileage, and lower overall cost of operation. Also see the other forum as moderator suggests."

And all the durability of a minivan - which is what they are based on. For a minivan, they're very good.
  • yeedayeeda Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer, and recently had a transmission broken down, which will cost near $4000 to repair! The shop told me that there are some broken metal pieces flowing around inside the transmission and I don't think it is result of normal use! I wonder if Ford has program to investigate whether it is a defect part and if yes will Ford pay for the repair bill?
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    Unless you are just barely out of warranty, I highly doubt that Ford will do anything for you.
    1) How many miles is on your Mountaineer.

2) You must have gone to AAMCO. There are always metal shavings in an automatic transmission that has been driven for any length of time - that's normal to find them in the pan. I've not heard of a transmission shop in years though, that still tries to scare the customer with this story. It's an old scam. To to a different shop - or the dealer, and get an honest inspection. These guys sound like crooks.
    Thanks for the opinions!
    1) Only 46000 miles and just over 3 1/2 years;
    2) I sent my car to the L/M Dealer. He was originally telling me that he can get Ford help me (provide a transmission for free), but later said they won't. The repair bill will be around $3500! I don't know if I can talk to Ford myself on this. Your thoughts?
    Just over 1/2 year out of warranty - do you think it is short enough for them to help?
    Depends. How many miles was the original warranty for? 36,000? (that's what we list for the drivetrain -- link).

I think you're too far gone in miles if I'm reading this right.

The Secret Warranty: (AKA) After Warranty Assistance (AWA)

If the dealer tried to go to bat for you for AWA and failed, you may want to get a second telephone opinion and another estimate or two. You can always tow it to a cheaper independent garage for repair.

Steve, Host

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I would suggest going to a junk yard to get a good used transmission for several hundred dollars, or to an independent shop which will rebuild the one you have for $2,000.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    ANT, are the doors on the 06 the same as the ones from 02-05? thanks