Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

@rameshkumar said:
    Hey everyone,
    Being a first time car buyer, thanks to this site I have learnt a lot and is quite helpful.
    I have received a deal in Tx for 2014 CRV EX FD.
    Sale Price: 22095 + Destination Fee:830 + ST: 1432 + Document Fee: 125 with an OTD of
    $24,652.Do you think it is a good deal?

Your at 1492 below dealers invoice this is a good price and deal in your state. there may be a little more money left on the table to get if you are a good negotiator. Post your deal and dealership you bought from when your deal is complete .... Good luck today

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

@mrbrewers said:
    Can you tell me if this is a good deal in SC for AWD CRV-EXL, sale price 25900 + TTT apprx 850 = 26750. This is not OTD price, Interestingly we need to pay Sales tax approx 850 later to SC state (don't need to pay at purchase) = final total (Take home price) = 27600. This model does not have navigation or rear entertainment system. Appreciate all your hep.

This is a good deal at 2100 below invoice.... Minus dealerships doc fee charge and that is your true buying sales number.

Otd numbers state tax, dmv charges are regulated by your state we do not need that info. Selling price and doc fees indicates a good or bad deal. every poster has a different otd number form each state due to what i mentioned above. post your dealership and deal when done ....... good job

Ive been telling all you guys. Play the game right til the end of this month you will be very happy with pulling off a really good deal. End of june you will see very good buying numbers in alot of states. June ends the 2nd quarter for all car companies. If your not ready to buy today wait til the last days of june..

• mikec34mikec34 Member Posts: 17

Brian (or anyone else),

Could I get an idea of good pricing for a CR-V EX FWD in the Orlando, FL area? Wife totaled her car, so we need to buy soon. I wish I could wait until the end of June and not the beginning...

Haven't started visiting or contacting dealerships yet. Wanted to get an idea of pricing before I go. Only thing I've done thus far is get Truecar pricing. Lowest was:

$22,699 + $699 doc fee = $23,398, plus whatever taxes, title, fees, etc.

Thoughts?

Hi mike34

Below are the 3 dealerships that forum members have been playing hard ball with in your area. You should be able to make your best deal with one of them. Begginning of June you may not find that real good price like others have posted. but if you attack each dealership with letting each know:....... this is the model and price i'm looking to pay...... i'll buy right now from your dealership...... You should come close to your target price.

Buyers have done alot better than the true car price of 951 below invoice price after considering the 699 doc fee. I would set my target price low and high end to buy 1000 to 1600 below invoice price shooting for that 1600 high and maybe settling for 12 to 1300 below if possible.

Dealers to contact...... Auto nation, Coggin, Holler

@brian125 said:
    Hi mike34

Below are the 3 dealerships that forum members have been playing hard ball with in your area. You should be able to make your best deal with one of them. Begginning of June you may not find that real good price like others have posted. but if you attack each dealership with letting each know:....... this is the model and price i'm looking to pay...... i'll buy right now from your dealership...... You should come close to your target price.

Buyers have done alot better than the true car price of 951 below invoice price after considering the 699 doc fee. I would set my target price low and high end to buy 1000 to 1600 below invoice price shooting for that 1600 high and maybe settling for 12 to 1300 below if possible.

Dealers to contact...... Auto nation, Coggin, Holler

Thanks a lot, Brian. I can see how helpful you have been in these forums. A few quick questions.

1. Where do you get the invoice pricing number? It seems that googling it gives a few different numbers.

2. So you take the invoice price and try to beat it by 1600 (good deal) or so, after the doc fee? I'm just trying to figure out how I should be doing the math.

3. So based on my numbers, if I am at $951 below and I would like to get to $1600 below, then coming back on the offer above and subtracting $649 would give me an offer of $22,749. That would be my "good" target to get to, yes?

4. Last question: What options (e.g., wheel locks, mats, etc.) are good to either ask a dealership to throw in as an incentive or are good to actually purchase (not better than aftermarket)?

PS Coggin is the dealership that contacted me regarding the offer above.

Thanks!

edited June 2014

mike

1- These sites you could find MSRP and Invoice pricing on all vehicles

• Edmunds, Nada, KBB.com, Msn auto, Truecar pricing, AOL auto.

2- yes

3- Yes if you could get it.. Remember if a dealer has only one of your model they may want more money... 10 or more of your model makes getting your prices alot easier. Subtract your target price from the your models invoice price. dont forget to re- add the 790 dest/ charge back onto the deal. that we all have to pay.

4- alot of dealers will throw in at no charge to get your business wheel locks and splash guards. dont be fooled.... wheel locks are on every model they cost the dealer about 20 dollars if that. splash guards you could buy on line for $67, and mats are 90. Nitrogen in tires is Bs.. Dont pay for that .. Use above prices as a guide to making dealer sell these items at this price or cheaper. or as i would do try to get dealer to throw them into your deal.

Example; dealer# 1... does not want to sell for 1600 below invoice but he is close to your house and you want to buy there. lets say dealer 1, want 12 or 1300 below invoice .. You counter offer with throw in x accessories and i will buy today.. otherwise i will think about your offer and get back to you............................. Play the game.. Go to the next dealer etc.

All accessories at good prices can be found at

College hills honda

Cheap honda parts.

Use these prices as a guide to getting as close to dealers invoice price as we know.

Go thru the Internet mgr at Coggin. get his number and email and send him a email with what you want . Put him on the spot for a sale that moment. Tell Coggin Honda you have emailed auto nation and others and first dealer to met your price gets your business. also tell Coggin that you would prefer to buy from them you leave 5 mins from the dealership. Tell all of them that.........LOL

when i buy cars i like to speak directly to each internet mgr. this way i wack each dealership off my list if they;

1- Cant give me a honest answer about price

2- Have no clue what there doing..

Good luck

• srini0603srini0603 Member Posts: 1

Brian,

Is this a good price in Northen NJ? Honda CRV EXL AWD:

$26563 (this includes destinaation charges) + $259 document fee + $7.50 NJ Tire fee + $10 NJCAR DSP Service fee + $301 DMV Fees + 7% NJ Tax. and the total comes to $29000.

Also there is no cash back and there is no 0.9/1.9 APR for Northen NJ. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

• rags10rags10 Member Posts: 7

Thank you Brian for your feedback on my deal. I will post the dealer details once I complete my transaction.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

@srini0603, there is "Dealer Cash" of $500 and it's available for the Patterson area zip code I looked up, so it's probably available where you are. Dealers don't have to share that incentive, but your quote is well below invoice of $28,164, so I suspect it's rolled into your price.

edited June 2014

@srini0603 said:
    Brian,

Is this a good price in Northen NJ? Honda CRV EXL AWD:

$26563 (this includes destinaation charges) + $259 document fee + $7.50 NJ Tire fee + $10 NJCAR DSP Service fee + $301 DMV Fees + 7% NJ Tax. and the total comes to $29000.

Also there is no cash back and there is no 0.9/1.9 APR for Northen NJ. Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

Yes its a good price for June 3, in NJ. Find out if dealer added any incentive money to get you to 1178 below invoice price. If dealer did you should make them bump up there offer 3 to 500 dollars for a immediate sale.

• johnpitjohnpit Member Posts: 9

Is the invoice price the same in all states for the CR-V EXL? Does anyone know the invoice price in Wisconsin *without navigation or entertainment pkg. I know the destination charge may differ....Thanks

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,119

Invoice is the same for the 48 states... you can build your car using the tools at the top of the page and get the invoice price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• johnpitjohnpit Member Posts: 9

Thanks......Do you know if you can get power seats in the EX or do you have to up grade to the EXL....We definitely need power seats but not all the other extras in the EXL...Is that something we can pay to have added on.....Thanks again

EXL model comes standard w/ 6 way pw seat.. Ex does not

• buya123buya123 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014

Is this a good OTD price for Northern NJ for 2014 CRV LX AWD?

MSRp e-Price $22,587
    Destination $830
    Sales Tax $1,581.60
    Tire Fee $7.50
    Doc Fee $348
    Out the Door $24,295.10

read prior postings

Took my car delivery today. Honda CRV 2014 EXL All Wheel Drive. OTD 27,000. Dealership is Brown's Arlington Honda. Dealer included wheel locks & all season mats as part of the deal.

Thank you Bryan for your helpful comments. I think I got a good deal and am happy with my purchase.

• albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42

@rags10 said:

Bryan, Can you tell me if this is a good deal in VA for CRV EXL AWD.
    Sale Price: 24275 + Destination Fee:830 + Taxes + Tag Fees + Dealer Fee 398.
    The Out the door price is 27000.
    Dealer is giving the following accessories included as part of the deal:
    All weather mats
    Splash Guards
    Wheel Locks.
    Appreciate all your help.

would you mind providing how much your taxes and tag fees you paid? its hard to believe $27,000 OTD plus they include $250 worth accessories.

edited June 2014

Anyone in the forum bought 2014 CRV EX or EXL AWD in WA State around Seattle or even Portland area. if you can share what dealership and how much you paid. thanks in advance.

Albert5 - Following is the break down mentioned on the purchase order.

• Sales Price + Destination Fees = 25454.25
    • Processing Fee = 398.00
    • Titling Tax = 1034.09
    • Tag Fees = 113.66
    • OTD = 27000.00
    • As mentioned in my previous post only Wheel locks & All weather mats have been provided. Dealer backed out on the splash guards.. :wink:
    edited June 2014

@rags10 said:
    Albert5 - Following is the break down mentioned on the purchase order.

• Sales Price + Destination Fees = 25454.25
    • Processing Fee = 398.00
    • Titling Tax = 1034.09
    • Tag Fees = 113.66
    • OTD = 27000.00
    • As mentioned in my previous post only Wheel locks & All weather mats have been provided. Dealer backed out on the splash guards.. :wink:

I see. difference maker is the sales tax, you paid $1000 less in tax compare here in WA state. In my area, we pay 9.5% for vehicle tax.
    Thanks for the price breakdown and enjoy your new vehicle.

Thanks Albert.

• jj22jj22 Member Posts: 7

Hello,
    This is an awesome forum, Hoped I had found this forum before I walked in the dealership today.
    anyways this is what I have agreed with the dealership on a qoute -
    How does the below price look for 2014 EX AWD.
    I stay in Maine state.
    24300 + 1358 tax + 34 title + 499 admin fee
    total OTD - $26195
    accesories included - wheel locks, body side mould.

pleases advice if this is good price.

If this is not a good deal then can I call off the deal by calling the dealer tomorrow.

Please help!

By agreeing with the dealership - I meant that I have signed the quote document given by them and said will buy tomorrow.
    So will I be in legal trouble if i cancel the deal?

@jj22, without seeing the document, it doesn't sound like you've signed much of anything. Dealers like to get deposits or written "commitments" so you'll return tomorrow and do the deal. Lots of people go home and "sleep on it" and don't go back or they call and tell the dealer they've changed their mind. You don't own the car until you sign the sales contract (and lots of posters say you don't really own the car until you drive it off the lot).

$24,300 is about $1,384 off invoice (invoice, including destination, is $25,684 for an AWD EX).

The "admin" fee sounds high. Dealers won't negotiate this fee but they sometimes will lower the price of the car to compensate if a buyer complains enough.

@stever - Thanks a lot for quick reply. what do you think about this deal?
    what would you advice?

jj22

Unless you get more dealerships involved in pricing there may not be much more room to save $$$$$. Accords are selling 400 to 800 lower in Boston .Buying in the beggining of June your not going to find that knockout. price. Get selling dealer to knock off his doc / admin fee by lowering the sale price of the vehicle. Otherwise play the game til the end of june with as many dealerships your willing to travel to. If you want to save this is what you need to do otherwise........ make the deal..

300 to 500 is how much more your target price to buy should be. dealer is hoping you take the bait at that price quoted.

One word of advice in the future in the car buying world . Never sign any paperwork
    unless your buying the vehicle that day. make sure all yourcar homework is done before going into buying negotiations.

edited June 2014

Hi brian125, Thanks a lot for your reply on my Honda CRV EX AWD query. So my target base price should be invoice price - $24854 - 1000 or 1500 = $23854 or $23354 plus tax and dealer fee. I live in state of maine. does this sound right? Also I will ask the dealer to lower their fees.

I will call the dealer and tell them that I have changed my mind and need some more time to make the final decision.

Thanks a lot again for your help.

The dealer can't lower the admin or doc fee without opening themselves up to a class action suit for discrimination. At least that's what all the dealers will say.

So, the fee stays, and you complain about how high it is to encourage the dealer to lower the price of the car to make up the difference. Or some of the difference. Dealers have a lot of docs to track (for the banks, homeland security, yada yada), but it's not rocket science and there's a bunch of software packages out there sold to dealers to make compliance relatively easy.

Any doc fee over $50 is suspect and usually just an extra profit center for the dealer. Lots of states limit doc fees since most consumers don't realize it's possible to negotiate a lower fee by whacking the price of the car.

As far as the rest of your deal, what @brian125 said. :)

Thanks a lot @Stever and @Brian125...
    you guys are awesome.....
    This is an excellent forum. I will post later how it all went..
    Wish me luck :)

• mayurjmayurj Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I am negotiating with the dealers on a sale price for 2014 CRV EX-L/W Navigation AWD. The lowest that I have received so far is 26967 + destination fee. I am using this price to negotiate further with another dealer. But so far with the price above, what do you'll think? Is this a good price? If not what do you think would be the price to get for a great deal? I am in Chicago area.

Please advise at your convenience. Thanks in advance.
    edited June 2014

mayurj

Your deal right know is at 1647 below invoice . A excellent price compared to other members price thru out the states... There is no harm trying for a few more dollars. It can be done. I would try to get the dealer closest to your home to either, match or beat this price. This deal is good. So if no other dealers will go lower on the price and if you close on this deal today...... You have done very well.

Post your deal with name of dealer when you complete your deal. Posting this helps the other forum members in your area try for a similar deal

Wait, so is the goal to get $1000-1600 below invoice BEFORE taking into account destination fee?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,119

No... Include the destination fee in everything. Your invoice price (including destination) and your selling price... No one pays destination separately... it's no different than any other line on the sticker..

If you let them separate it, it just confuses the issue.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• raam2raam2 Member Posts: 10

HI everyone.
    Just wanted to update my car purchase experience in Houston. Sorry for the long note.
    Due to my work and personal situation, I had to buy my car at the start of this month. Ideally I would have preferred to buy the car end of June.

Anyways, I paid ~ 22000 OTD for a 2014 LX 2WD with window tint included fom Russell and Smith Honda - Houston. The selling price was ~19460, dest fee = 830, doc and inventory fee ~ 180. Rest was Tax Title and Licensing/Registration. The price was ~1900 less than invoice.
    From @Brian125 and @stever‌ I know that this is not a bad deal. A big thanks to you both. I know I would have lost at least 1000$ if I had walked in a showroom to buy the car in a conventional way.

I nearly did not haggle with the price as the initial quote I received from the nearest dealer was very competitive ($22350 OTD including tint ). However, when I purchased, Honda had removed their special financing rate for CR-V (all other cars had it - I conformed it from their website). So I bargained a little with the finance guy and reduced the price by around 350$ to offset the high APR. I ended up having a 2.5% APR which is what I had with a local CU.

I spent close to 3 hours in the dealership and had the car. Most of it was spent waiting. Negotiations were for around only 15 minutes.

Helpful tips:
    1) Have a credit union loan pre-approved - Saved me at least 850$. I had one at 2.5/3.5 % (based on down payment) approved. The finance person initially quoted 3.5 and I point blank told him I will rather use my CU. He came down to 2.5 immediately.
    2) Be prepared with the numbers. Do the math before you enter (how much more you will pay for every additional 1% increase in APR).
    3) If possible, get the APR rate before you enter the dealership. I did not do it due to time constraints. But you can say that unless you have the APR you will not step in.

Good luck and have fun with your CR-V

Terrific! Enjoy the new CR-V!

Raam very nice job. enjoy your new CRV..

Brian,

My wife wants to look at Hyundai Santa Fe's to compare to the CR-V we test drove. Hyundai has a lot of incentives right now ($750 incentive cash and $750 loyalty cash - because she has an elantra currently).

There is almost no posting in the buying forums for that vehicle, although I do see you did post there. For the Santa Fe with Popular Equipment Package (adds $1100), I am seeing an invoice price of $26,136 (includes destination fee and $250 advertising fee).

Thus, I should be shooting for $25,136 ($1000 below invoice) to $24,536 ($1600 below invoice) AFTER taking into consideration doc fees, correct?

And the $1500 in incentives should never enter the picture, because the dealership is not paying them, correct?

edited June 2014

mikec34,

Where do you live? and what state are you considering buying.

For starters . Print out pricing from Truecar.com.... Sometimes this site will lead to finding a dealer that will sell there vehicles alot lower than the rest.. This site works well for buying a hyundai. . Example : a NY zip code may net me 3 decent deals . Now put in NJ zip code and these dealerships are selling lower. this will help you start your negotiation process.

Go to the Truecar.com website. Put in your info, model, and all incentives, and rebates that apply to you. use the price's they give you as a buying guide to start your pricing with dealerships. . The higher volume hyundai dealers will undercut each other for the sale. The Santa fe is a great choice vehicle with a better warranty. You will get more for your money buying a Santa fe. Resale value on this truck is not good Thats the downside compared to the CRV. Hyundai has a good contender in this truck so pricing is not as good as other models they sell. What you need to consider is if you play your cards right 1500 below invoice is probably do-able plus grabbing the other 1500 in incentives. making a good deal at close to 2500 to 3000 below dealers invoice. Try to buy this model at the very end of June you will do good price wise....

If you post in the Santa fe forum i wil help you there. If you read my posts on emailing dealerships and negotiating you will be very happy with your results..

• keepleftkeepleft Member Posts: 7

@albert5 said:
    Anyone in the forum bought 2014 CRV EX or EXL AWD in WA State around Seattle or even Portland area. if you can share what dealership and how much you paid. thanks in advance.

Albert, I'm looking to buy a CRV EXL AWD right now as well in seattle area. Want to shop together for it? Best offer I've got so far is ~$26900 (+$150 doc) w/ phone/email conversations. As brian125 mentions, we will prob get a better price by just waiting til end of month, but if we are buying 2 cars, we can prob find a dealer to do a bit better.

edited June 2014

@keepleft said:
    Albert, I'm looking to buy a CRV EXL AWD right now as well in seattle area. Want to shop together for it? Best offer I've got so far is ~$26900 (+$150 doc) w/ phone/email conversations. As brian125 mentions, we will prob get a better price by just waiting til end of month, but if we are buying 2 cars, we can prob find a dealer to do a bit better.

Cool. yeah i thought about that too, to just wait until end of this month Plus they might have the 4th of July sale too.
    im leaning more on EX AWD more than EXL AWD due to price difference. (dont really need the leather seats and extra that comes with it but if the price is right, why not.)

I emailed them during the memorial weekend sale- Klein, Kirkland, Lynnwood, Seattle, Renton, Marysville, even Dick hannah & Tonkin honda in Portland. Lowest i got so far - OTD for EX AWD is $26,300 (tax included is 9.5% = around $2300) NO ADD ON just standard. i havent negotiate the price yet due to im still selling my other vehicle instead of trading it in and use part of it as down payment.
    I have asked a couple of dealers about any incentives coming up, and their response was "dont know yet"

I've seen couple of buyers here got an EX AWD for about $25,500 & 25,750 OTD. and their taxes is about half of what our taxes here in WA. So im expecting to pay a little more due to the tax difference.

What Dealers have you contacted so far? $26,900 is that just the vehicle price?

maybe we can tell them if we buy 2 (for you and a friend), they might even give us a deeper discount.
    So far, Klein honda offering Free 2 yr maintenance and honda Seattle offering 7yr/100k powertrain warranty included on all their new vehicles.

• mayurjmayurj Member Posts: 6

@brian125 said:
    mayurj

Your deal right know is at 1647 below invoice . A excellent price compared to other members price thru out the states... There is no harm trying for a few more dollars. It can be done. I would try to get the dealer closest to your home to either, match or beat this price. This deal is good. So if no other dealers will go lower on the price and if you close on this deal today...... You have done very well.

Post your deal with name of dealer when you complete your deal. Posting this helps the other forum members in your area try for a similar deal

Thanks Brian, I am most likely going to close the deal tomorrow as soon as I do that. I will post the details.

• keepleftkeepleft Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

@albert5
    I just sent you a PM message so we can discuss further. The $26,900 is just vehicle+destination for the EX-L ($1300 below invoice but + $150 doc fee). I don't think we need to buy the same car, but if we use our buying power that might help us get the best deal. I've been mainly talking to everett/marysville/burien, bellevue/kirkland are owned by the same group and make a ton of money with high pressure tactics and not negotiating much.

Posted in Santa Fe forum, Brian. Thanks again.

@albert5 and @keepleft, occasionally I'll see posts about people wanting to get together to do a group buy (sometimes it's just family members going in for a couple of new cars at the same dealer).

Unlike group buys for smaller ticket items where people actually get good discounts, I've yet to see much here over the years where "groups" do any better than people buying individually. So I'm really curious to see how y'all's experiment works out. Please keep us posted and we'll keep our fingers crossed for both of you.

• nmakwana1999nmakwana1999 Member Posts: 1

Hi Brian,

I have got a quote for 2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD as per follows:

Sale Price : $ 24, 376
    Destination & Delivery: $ 830.00
    TTL: $ 1749.81
    Document Fee: $125.00
    Protection Package: $ 848.00

Total Drive out: 27983.49

This is in Houston, TX. Do you think it is fair deal? I think protection package is the way to get the profit. Do you think if I put counter offer of $26500 (total drive out), would be reasonable and achievable? Please advise at your earliest.

• gauravjgauravj Member Posts: 4

Hi Brian and Steve,
    I am in Atlanta, GA and have received quote for a 2014 Honda CRV EXL 2WD from a few dealerships. I am about to zero down on two of the quotes and wanted to run it past you experts.
    1) Gwinnett Place Honda - for a OTD price of $27,800 - they put $808 of accessories (Trunk Tray, Mudguards, 3M door tape, pinstiping, wheel locks) into the price and putting "exterior paint sealant" and "interior fabric/leather protection" for free. I am not sure how good or necessary are the freebies they are throwing in.

• 2) Ed Voyles Honda - an OTD price of $26,950 and they are putting a 3 year car care package which mainly include oil changes/lube/filters and tire rotation.

Please advice if these are good deals and which one of the dealership is better. I am yet to visit them and all the negotiations/quotes have been on phone/on-line as of now.

Thank you very much for your advice

nmakwana,

Your deal is 1624 below invoice good price . If you take this vehicle your losing money because the overprice protection package.

If you want that option in your vehicle dealer needs to cut that price in Half. otherwise tell dealer to find you another at the same price or you will go elsewhere.

this your hard earned money... buy the model you want right now. If we were in Oct where 2014 models and colors are limited then we consider this.

Another tip would be call dealer or visit. when your ready to buy and not before... Tell dealer you will buy this vehicle without that package Today for same price. or your going to xx honda down the block to buy it today.. Put on your best poker face and play the game.. They will change there tune if dealer feels they will lose the sale. Good luck

edited June 2014

@gauravj, the mudguards and 3M tape may be okay but the other stuff from both dealers doesn't interest me. And if the pinstrips are tape, I'd be included to pull them off.

The worry about the paint sealant (aka "mop & glow") is that it's just wax, and if the person doing the work is sloppy, you could wind up with swirls or worse on your new paint. (Some people order cars and request that the dealer not do most of the pre-delivery prep so they can clean their new car "properly" themselves).

You can do the interior with a $10 can of Scotchgard and probably wind up inhaling less fumes by doing it yourself.

I'm always dubious about the service packages unless they are built into the car's price from the factory, like BMW does. Even then, I'd be alert for "recommended" services over and above what the package covers. But as you can tell, I'm overly suspicious and think that most of this kind of stuff is just profit padding junk.

At least they didn't throw vin etching at you. :'(

This discussion has been closed.