Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• mackd2mackd2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in this forum and went into a dealership to test drive but walked out because they were playing games. Anyway, can you guys let me about this deal through internet dealer pricing through edmunds? I'm in Northern California and the internet price was $23,799 including destination charges. Dealer quoted $26,400 OTD for a 2014 ex fwd. The internet sales manager said it is month end and migt be able to lower it. How does this sound?

Thanks in advance!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

mac,

You can do better on price... Re read prior posts and apply same system

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• s239911s239911 Member Posts: 6

Kenny,
    Just bought in twin cities. Out of the 6 dealers in town, Richfield-Bloomington Honda and Brookdale Honda are the 2 most likely to undercut each other. One tactic that I wish I have knownof, is not divulging your exact location. As some dealers are willing to take a lower offer if they know you live close buy and they can get the service business. I had a back and forth with Inver Grove Honda, they asked me where i lived, once they figured i lived 36miles away they didn't want to counter. My recommendation is that you say you live in Minneapolis until you lock a deal, otherwise if they know you live in Fargo they are not likely to give you their best offer. Just my 2 cents.

• birdie6birdie6 Member Posts: 9

I want to buy a EXL in the next month. I can't seem to find the invoice price in the Chicago area. I also want to know what is a good price before tax and title. And is Costco pricing worth it.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

@birdie6 said:
    I want to buy a EXL in the next month. I can't seem to find the invoice price in the Chicago area. I also want to know what is a good price before tax and title. And is Costco pricing worth it.

There are shopping tools available here at Edmunds that provide the invoice and target pricing.

edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2014/?sub=suv

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• wdwdlgwdwdlg Member Posts: 9

Hi All,I am from NJ and i would suggest people in TRI STATE AREA not to WASTE time in even looking for a deal here.If you have means to travel to some other states do so you will ALWAYS find a better deal and customer service then NJ/NY on there worst day.

Before i start i want to Thank Brian without whom this wouldn't have been possible and some part to user MD2X who directed me to his home state MD where i purchased my vehicle.
    This is the reason its Very Important that people post there STATE Dealership and DETAILED breakdown to help others.

I wont go in detail of how to DO IT because its already explained in detail by Brian multiple times in the forum so just need to go back and read.

Here is my breakdown.
    Dealer : Criswell Honda Germantown, MD
    Vehicle : 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD
    MSRP : 25025
    Invoice Price : 23554

Purchase Price** $21,730 (including destination)
    Documentation Fee $200.00
    State Sales Tax 7.00% $1,535.1
    New Tags & Titling Fees* $400
    Lien $20.00

Total : 23885
    <-750 Flex>
    Drive-Out $23,135

@ 0.9% APR 60 months this comes to be approx 395/month

** $1824 Below Invoice / $1624 If Doc fees is included / $2374 if Doc and Flex both are included

• Out of state buy you have to pay your OWN State Taxes , Tag and Titling Fees .Tags and Titling fees will be little more then if you would have purchased in your own state.

Read this in one of the forums so just adding it here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-an-auto-finance-manager.html

Here is the Top 10 list that should get you in and out of the F&I room unscathed.

Don't agree to be a monthly payment buyer. If you do, you'll quickly lose control of negotiations as they pack payments and hide the real cost of the car.
    Don't buy a car without first checking pricing guides such as Edmunds.com's TMV. Print out this information and take it with you to the dealership.
    Don't buy the extended warranty. The bumper-to-bumper warranty will last for at least three years/36,000 miles. The powertrain warranty will then cover all the things that make the car go down the road, often for up to 75,000 miles.
    Don't buy the extended warranty (if you really want it) for the first price they offer. Mark-up is about 100 percent, so there is plenty of room for negotiating.
    Don't enter the F&I room unless you have independent financing or you have recently checked your credit report and investigated what your bank or credit union will offer for a rate. Otherwise, how will you know what interest rate you deserve?
    Don't buy paint protection (it's just a glorified wax job) or fabric protection or VIN etching or LoJack (unless you have an irreplaceable collector's car). These are high-profit items for the dealership and can always be purchased somewhere else if you decide you really want them.
    Don't pass up gap insurance if you're leasing (unless it's already in the contract).
    Don't forget to run your monthly payment numbers using an auto loan calculator get a rough idea of what your car payment will be.
    Don't believe that the F&I guy is really your friend, even though he acts like it.
    Don't believe the F&I guy if he tells you that you have to buy the extended warranty to qualify for low or no-interest financing. I've used this line a few times before. And it's not true.

• h22a1h22a1 Member Posts: 10

Here's the breakdown of the deal I negotiated for my brother here in Western WA. It's seems very hard to get a great price here in the Pacific NW.

2014 CRV EX-L AWD

MSRP $29,775.00
    Invoice $28000.00

Selling Price $27337.00
    Doc Fee $150.00
    Flex Cash -$750

Total before tax and license is $26,737.00

edited March 2014

@birdie6 said:

Invoice on model EXL awd = 28,000 with destanation charge.. EXL 2wd = 26,830 w/ dest charge.

Going thru costco might be worth a look to see what kind of price you could get. Read thru prior 2 months postings to get a better idea on your area's pricing and how i talk about getting the best possible deal.. There have been several posting from Chicagoland..

• chiquita105chiquita105 Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone. I just finished my first car buying experience today and I wanted to share my price info with those who are trying to buy CR-V LX FWD. I'm from south Florida where the dealer fee starts from $699!
    First of all, I would like to thank brian125 for devoting your time to give valuable advice!

Here is the breakdown.
    MSRP $23,775
    Invoice $22,383

Dealer selling price $19569.98
    Dealer fee $699.00
    Electronic Filing fee $24.99
    Tire Battery Lemon law fee $8.50

OTD price including tax and title/registration fee $22,000.

I went to car.com to gather a list of dealers and started emailing/calling the ones with bigger number of stocks. I had them bid against each other and picked the one (which ended up being the closest one) who was willingly to beat any other dealers price.
    Some dealers just played with the numbers and some even lied about their inventory.
    I found out this is such a stressful game that needs a lot of patience. But at the end of the day, I'm glad I was able to come home with a car I liked!

Big thanks to this forum:)

edited April 2014

Chiquita,

You have pulled off a monster deal with the numbers you posted. Post the name of the dealer in S. florida where you purchased so other forum members in Florida could try for a simular deal............................ Seems like you played the car buying game very well.. End of the month buying always pays the biggest dividents.............. Enjoy your new CRV

• chiquita105chiquita105 Member Posts: 2

brian125,

Thank you!
    I purchased my CR-V at Ed Morse Honda.

• raam2raam2 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014

Hi Everyone

I am planing to buy a 2014 Cr-v LX FWD - either this month end or next month's end and have been following this forum for a few weeks now. I reside in Houston.

Thanks Brian and all others for all the help.

I just started getting quotes from dealerships, and have been quoted a sale price of ~$20800 (excluding destination fee) leading to a total OTD price between 23000 -23600 (including flex cash, with Honda financing). For my own financing, I might have to shell out additional $500.

My questions are:

1) My primary question is, I saw that the company invoice price is ~ $21550. So, would it be reasonable to target a price of $20550, which leads to a total cost of
    20550 +
    830 (dest) +
    200 (doc fee, vehicle inventory fee..any other add on fees from dealer)
    1500 (Taxes and Licensing fee)
    = ~ $23080
    = ~ $22580(With Honda financing+500 flex cash)

I was unsure if in the Houston area if I can target a price 1000 dollars less than invoice (more/less?).

2) Also, some dealers send an invoice price = 22550 for a LX FWD model, which is 1000 more than what websites , and other people here say. Even the NADA website says ~22500 for LX 2WD while MSN auto says 21500. Which to target?

3) Also, is there anyone currently planning to buy a car in Houston - we can buy together? Or anyone who has recently bought one in Houston and willing to share their experience/name of car dealership?

Thanks a lot - Raam

• bigpengbigpeng Member Posts: 3

@nkch17‌

Hello, I am living close to Ohio and I want to buy Honda CR-V LX AWD which is the same model with you....your price was amazing, can you tell me which dealer you got it or you can give me the salesman's contact number?

I got most of 23000 invoice price and I think it is really too high...

• blocker176blocker176 Member Posts: 1

Anyone know if there is flex cash incentive this month as well?
    Have offer of 26,500 on 2014 CRV EX-L (invoice 28000) including destination. The dealer fee is $400. This seems like a pretty good deal but maybe can do a little better?

Thanks to everyone for any help you can offer!

edited April 2014

raam

Yes your numbers are good.. you covered the fee's. Dont mix up Dealers invoice price and the msrp price. . Invoice price on your model Lx fwd = 21,553 plus dest charge of 830 = 22,383..

Minus 1000 off that price as your target price.. If dealers have flex cash to finance the vehicle you will get another 500 to 750 dollars reduced of the bill.. You have 2 months to get your target price so negotiate hard and be firm with each dealership telling them i buy today if you meet my price for 1000 below dealers invoice on your model..

• nkch17nkch17 Member Posts: 10
    @bigpeng‌ I will send you a message

@blocker176 said:
    Anyone know if there is flex cash incentive this month as well?
    Have offer of 26,500 on 2014 CRV EX-L (invoice 28000) including destination. The dealer fee is $400. This seems like a pretty good deal but maybe can do a little better?

Thanks to everyone for any help you can offer!

You need to call each dealer that your working a pricing deal with and ask if they have flex cash to offer . Flex cash from dealers are giving 500 to 750 to finance the vehicle thru them.

• coolplantcoolplant Member Posts: 1

I'm trying to buy a CR-V EX-L 2WD in Dallas area. Among the 6 dealers whom I contacted for an email quote, there was only one responded with an OTD price of $27, 267. Is this a good deal ?. How to negotiate further. Rest of the dealers are asking me visit in person. There is so much review on how to negotiate but just too much to grasp quickly.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

gg

Thanks a lot Brian. Will keep this forum updated on how it goes. - Raam

• pennyky1pennyky1 Member Posts: 2
    2014 CRV EX AWD out the door for 25852. This includes free maintenance oil changes for first couple years. 0.9% Apr thru HFS, pleased with the deal overall. Would rather have a 2wd but they are hard to find in my region, Kentucky.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

You'll be happy when it comes to resale, that you have the AWD. Plus, in the meantime, it will be useful. In my experience, the CR-V doesn't suffer much from reduced fuel mileage or tire wear, when choosing the AWD model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pennyky1pennyky1 Member Posts: 2

kyfdx yeah AWD will likely be a plus. The family 2013 CRV was rear ended by a large SUV. I was thoroughly impressed with how it "accordioned" aka crumpled and absorbed the hit. Safety and reliability, it was a no brainier to get a CRV. Although resale is a plus, this one will be a keeper for a long time. ;)crosses fingers no accidents

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

@pennyky1 said:
    kyfdx yeah AWD will likely be a plus. The family 2013 CRV was rear ended by a large SUV. I was thoroughly impressed with how it "accordioned" aka crumpled and absorbed the hit. Safety and reliability, it was a no brainier to get a CRV. Although resale is a plus, this one will be a keeper for a long time. ;)crosses fingers no accidents

Yeah... my first CR-V was totaled at the 3.5 year mark (unfortunately, no one else to blame it on), but I drove the next one for 6.5 years and 106K miles.. And, still got $9K trade-in for it!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hansgruber11hansgruber11 Member Posts: 5

It's strategic to purchase at the end of the month yet most dealers don't have any available flex cash at this point in time. What's a buyer to do?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

@hansgruber11 said:
    It's strategic to purchase at the end of the month yet most dealers don't have any available flex cash at this point in time. What's a buyer to do?

Some dealers may offer incentives to staff for early month sales targets - 10 cars in the first 10 days, stuff like that. And, as you've noted, you may have a better chance at getting flex cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Trades In's,

Most Dealers will only give you pricing from certain books like galves, or the Nada black book etc.. These prices are low ball prices.. Its always best to sell your vehicle privately. How you proceed is find dealerships with a short driving distance and make your best deal out of the lot.

Never travel far distances like you did.. You wasted a whole day of your life to realize dealer is rapping you on the trade..

Sell private or take the loss.. Your only advantage is the trade in value gets deducted off the bill of sale which in return saves you on tax.

hansgruber11 Posts: 5

Buy earlier in the month if that flex money is the difference.

• sewheelsewheel Member Posts: 3

@raam2 said:
    Hi Everyone

I am planing to buy a 2014 Cr-v LX FWD - either this month end or next month's end and have been following this forum for a few weeks now. I reside in Houston.

Thanks Brian and all others for all the help.

I just started getting quotes from dealerships, and have been quoted a sale price of ~$20800 (excluding destination fee) leading to a total OTD price between 23000 -23600 (including flex cash, with Honda financing). For my own financing, I might have to shell out additional $500.

My questions are:

1) My primary question is, I saw that the company invoice price is ~ $21550. So, would it be reasonable to target a price of $20550, which leads to a total cost of
    20550 +
    830 (dest) +
    200 (doc fee, vehicle inventory fee..any other add on fees from dealer)
    1500 (Taxes and Licensing fee)
    = ~ $23080
    = ~ $22580(With Honda financing+500 flex cash)

I was unsure if in the Houston area if I can target a price 1000 dollars less than invoice (more/less?).

2) Also, some dealers send an invoice price = 22550 for a LX FWD model, which is 1000 more than what websites , and other people here say. Even the NADA website says ~22500 for LX 2WD while MSN auto says 21500. Which to target?

3) Also, is there anyone currently planning to buy a car in Houston - we can buy together? Or anyone who has recently bought one in Houston and willing to share their experience/name of car dealership?

Thanks a lot - Raam

Raam -- I too am looking in Houston, TX for a CR-V I'm looking at EX-L with no options and NOT AWD. Have you found a dealer in the area that seems to be the lowest price or most willing to negotiate? I hate the whole haggling process!!! too much stress!!! Just curious what your experiences have been so far!

edited April 2014

hi everyone

I emailed 10 dealerships in and around Houston (within 35 minutes driving distance from my home). I compared the prices, and some of them were too high for me even to consider.
    I also just visited a nearby Honda dealer (with one of the lower prices quoted) and test drove their car (CRV - LX 2WD). The initially quoted price was:

Price Breakdown:
    Offered price - 20708
    Destination Fee- 830

Doc Fee 125
    Inventory Fee 43.8
    All Title Fee 126

Sales tax 1299.25
    Rebates (flex cash) 750

Total - 22382
    New total (after little negotiation ~ 22200, with window tint)

But I have been told after the test drive that they can offer me the car for a few hundred dollars less and have the window tinted (a requirement for me). So I am looking around $22200 OTD.
    Does this sound like a good deal? This is the cheapest quote for me (though two other dealers came very close and I might be able to get a similar or little better deal). However, I have not started negotiations per se.
    ~~~~
    It is ~ 1800 below invoice price (1600 with doc and inventory fee). Looks like a good one to me, and the sales person was no-nonsense and no pressure. I walked out saying I need more time to think.

I am also trying to get a grad rebate (I recently graduated with a PhD, though I am not sure if PhD will be considered for a grad rebate). But I was told that would be clear only at time of buying. That might make it 500 dollars cheaper (lower probability though).

Also, he told I most probably will get a APR of 1.9 (Honda rate for a 60 month loan).

My main question is: Should I wait for the month's end for a even better deal? I do not want to be too greedy and hold out for more time if it might not bring in a reduction of more than 200 dollars. Also, this dealership is less than 2 miles from my place.

Please let me know of your thoughts. Brian - your inputs are also requested.

Thanks
    Raam

Hi sewheel

just sent you a message. Take a look at it. I went to Russell and Smith Honda, and I believe that John Eagle and few others are good and offered a decent price.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Sounds good to me - TMV for a Houston zip code for an LX before the $~1,300 tax is around $22,400 when I run the "Build Your Own") tool.

You might try going to the home page and getting a Price Promise certificate and see if that starts you lower, and then add in the tint (and work on the rebate angle).

It's hard to say about the best time to buy. The end of the month is good in theory because dealers are scrambling to make their "quota". But what if the dealer makes quota in mid month? And because sales sometimes get jammed up at month end, some manufacturers offer special bonuses to dealers for moving metal the first ten days of the month.

I got my current ride at the end of the year and thought I was being clever by literally taking delivery on New Year's Eve. Turns out the year end didn't happen until Jan. 4th for the manufacturer's purposes that year, so I'm sure I left money on the table. :-)

• sewheelsewheel Member Posts: 3

@raam2 said:
    Hi sewheel

just sent you a message. Take a look at it. I went to Russell and Smith Honda, and I believe that John Eagle and few others are good and offered a decent price.

I sent you an email back. Let me know if you didn't get it. I want 27000 OTD, but would be thrilled if I could get OTD between 26,000-27,000

Thanks a lot Stever@edmuunds. I looked the price promise certificate, and the offered price for me is currently lower than the certificate.

@brian125 can you please look at my post above and comment on the price I got. Thanks a lot!

• penny30penny30 Member Posts: 3

hi, does anyone know that whether doctoral degree is qualified for the Honda college grads program? Many thanks.

Found this at hondafinancialservices.com (pdf file).

Looks like the cutoff is a master's degree.

edited April 2014

Raam said;

Please let me know of your thoughts. Brian - your inputs are also requested.

You have some very good offers on the table if they are very close in price. The above one is a excellent deal. Can you get a few more dollars off? This will depend on the dealers stock and how bad they want your sale. A few hundred more maybe at best. waiting another month will not be worth waiting. Close the deal. This new CRV is calling your name..

What you should concentrate on being the one deal is very good ..

If the 1600 below invoice dealership is not the closest dealership to your house... make all dealerships that are closer beat or at worst meet the best deal you have.. Your buying power and leverage with this sale will be with all other dealerships...... Tell dealerships I will buy from you right Now........ Meet or Beat this price . Dealerships that wont match or beat price then you have your answer.

hope this helps

Thanks a lot @Brian125. Definitely helps...

@penny30 I had some of the sales people contact their respective dealer ship's financial directors and get back to me saying that PhD is unfortunately not considered for the grad rebate.

• penny30penny30 Member Posts: 3

@raam2‌ , thanks for your info. But I know one PhD got the grad rebate from other forum. Maybe it depends on dealers. Whatever, my dealer told me that I can't get financed from Honda due to my short credit history. So I was not qualified for the flex cash and grad rebate.

• buynewauto46buynewauto46 Member Posts: 16

All,
    Please find the March Auto Sales which shows honda is still low compared to last year ; may be try to bargain and get more than 1600 below invoice price .my 2 cents ........
    http://www.bloomberg.com/infographics/2014-04-01/march-us-auto-sales.html

Interesting numbers; looks like the Accord has suffered more than the CR-V though.

edited April 2014

Honda has lowered its pricing. We are seeing that across the country.. People have 3 possible 4 good choices in the midsize class and a couple of good choice SUV's. Saving a thousand or more dollars will affect alot of peoples choice in vehicles.

edited April 2014

Hello @brian125‌

I got a quote from a dealer gave me 25.3k OTD for EX AWD....I am wondering if this is a good price? He ask to do financing to achieve this price...I am just wondering if it deserve to buy or I could wait until end of month to see if there are any better offer?

Thanks!

edited April 2014

Remember that your local taxes and registration fees can make a chunk of difference when you look at "OTD" pricing. OTD should mean that everything is accounted for so that you owe nothing else when you agree to the price.

Around my area, an EX AWD comes in at $25,830 TMV before taxes and fees, so your offer looks pretty good if the dealer really is including taxes. (link) Financing is part of the deal because dealers make money packaging loans. One way to handle that is to get preapproved and ask the dealer to beat the rate you get from your bank or credit union. Often they can.

There may be "better" deals at the end of them month if the dealer has a quota to meet and is short, or if Honda decides to add on some extra bonus money. Hard to know that kind of inside info though.

edited April 2014

@Stever@Edmunds @brian125
    Hello,

I am just wondering if I financing a car I have to pay additional interest right? If I pay them immediately after I get approved by them, can I avoid to pay the additional interest?

edited April 2014

Bigpeng

If getting your best deal means financing thru honda then that is a no brainer. Our host @Stever@edmunds has provide some good info in his above post . If you wanted to buy the vehicle with cash ask dealer what is the least amount you could finance to get there best deal. 10k, 15k etc. You could pay off dealer loan within 10 days or the 1st month. Interest on one month is minimal due to very low interests rates. 0.9 or 1.9% etc. Check out Pen Fed credit union they have some of the best rates in the country for new and used vehicles..

As far as your deal of 25.3 k otd I could not tell you if its a good deal unless you breakdown your deal for me...... This is what i need to know.

1- Agreed selling price from dealership ? does that price include the dest/ charge of 830

2- What are the dealerships doc fee, or admin charge?

3- Was there any flex cash added to this deal?

4- Your EX awd model... Was there any added accessories to this vehicle.

5 what state are you buying in ?

@bigpeng, well, you have to read the contract. But yeah, usually the loan is set up so that the interest is added to the loan amount and spread out. So if you immediately pay it off, you are also (immediately) paying that interest. But the actual amount of interest may be low, as @brian125 says. And going for a lower loan amount/bigger down payment could work good too.

The other gotcha you have to watch for is any prepayment penalty if you pay off the loan early. Some loans have them, others don't.

When Early Auto Loan Payoff Won't Save (Fox)

If you had a "straight" loan with no penalty clause, then you could do the deal, pay off the loan and save most of the interest. And I think the dealer would be paid their "packaging" fee at the sale so they wouldn't care if you paid off the loan immediately.

• birdie6birdie6 Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2014

Just started getting price quotes. This is what I have so far for a 2014 CRV EXL/Nav:

1. Vehicle $28,904 (includes $830 destination charge)
    2. Doc Fees 166
    3. Plate/Liscense Transfer 145
    4. Chicago/Cook Tax 2779.05

5. Rebate (1000.00)

6. Total OTD if financed $30,994.
      If paying cash add an additional $500.

Other dealer so far is $10.33 less

What is a fair counter offer to what I have here so far.
    Thanks.

Birdie, is your model awd?

This discussion has been closed.