Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,920

S2,

Good deal in a tuff market area.. Your 750 flex cash made your deal a homerun.

Enjoy your new CRV

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• rachicagorachicago Posts: 4

@brian125 said:

Hi Brain,

Thanks for the reply. I am in Chicago, Illinois. Yes, the price $27650 includes destination fee. Doc fee is around $167. Flex Cash is varying between dealers. Ranging from $125-$750. But the final amount including destination and flex cash is $27650.

Thanks.

How much flex was added in your deal?? 125 to 750????

• oracledudeoracledude Posts: 1

Hi Brian,

I live in Atlanta and I am currently in the market for a Honda CRV EX FWD, here is the breakdown based of online information:

1. Dealer Invoice ---------- 23,519
    2. Destination--------------- 830
    3. Doc Fee ------------------ 600

Total without Tax and Registration is : 24,949, you can see the doc fee is quite a rip off.

I will start sending emails out next week as I am in no hurry to purchase so I can wait until the end of the month if need be.

Via Truecar I get a price of 24,948 (inclusive of dest and doc fee) so do you think offering 23,500 (inclusive of dest and doc fee) would be taken as a not serious offer or is there even room to go lower?

Please let me know what you think

edited March 15

Yes i agree with you. You would need a EX model selling price of 22,089 for the vehicle to be 1430 below invoice. Once the dealership adds there doc fee charge onto bill of 600, Your deal would be $830 below invoice. This might be the best you could do in Atlanta so keep on negotiating lower.............. time is on your side.. Find dealerships with flex cash to give

Another Scenario in Atlanta is;

I would think Realistically if you could get a dealer to give you 930 below invoice plus the flex cash of 500 or as high as 750 in some area's, this would counter most of the 600 doc fee charge that is applied onto the final bill of sale. making your deal 830 below invoice after all fee's have been applied to deal.

This is what my target price would be to email dealerships with a 600 dollar doc fee charge.

You would need a total of 2030 below invoice to fully counter that doc fee charge of 600 on the bill.

23,519... EX model without dest/ charge included in price.

-2030.... target price to buy plus adding dealers doc fee into your offer.

21,489... would be your target price to buy making your deal 1430 below invoice.

Hope i did not confuse you. Its all about countering that doc fee charge. If you dont mind to travel out of state to VA. or MD, Pohanka honda, and Criswell, are 2 dealerships where you will get 1500 below invoice or more this month if your state dont pan out price wise.................good luck

• Hi Brian, Thanks for all your contribution regards the pricing info ; I finally was able to re-negotiate the final selling price for the CRV AWD LX . I initially got the price of $ 22204 but told the sales person regards other dealers offering deals so he finally agreed to get me a $200 gift card or the all season mats so that it would make it the final price of $ 22004 which includes $750 and the final price is $1550 less than the invoice which seems very competitive ,

So finally I got the CRV LX AWD OTD price $23996 .

Thanks

Great job................. enjoy your new ride

• ghrpghrp Posts: 3

Hi All,

I bought my new 2014 CRV Ex-AWD today for close to $1191 below invoice.

A lot of helpful suggestions from brian125 along with other discussion items in this forum helped me get this deal. Thanks so much brian125.

Below is my breakdown

Dealer invoice w/ dest charge for CRV EX AWD : --$24,695.00

PA Tax. ----------------------------------------------------1,481.70

Lic & fees -----------------------------------------------------94.40

Doc fee -------------------------------------------------------133.00

Honda Flex Cash --------------------------------------------(500.00)

OTD -----------------------------------------------------$25,904.10

On top of that, I was able to use my Amex card upto $3500 for the downpayment, that is $35 in rewards. If that is included, the OTD comes down to $25,869.10 or about $1226 below invoice.

This definitely would not have been possible without brian125's help. Thanks again.

ghrp

nice job . enjoy your new crv.

• nkch17nkch17 Posts: 10

Just bought a CRV AWD LX with all-weather mats in Ohio

Invoice ................22,500

Sale price.............22,065

Tax......................1654

Doc fee.................250

DMV.......................33.5

Total Final Sale......24,000

Flex + Grad ..........(-1000)

OTD....................23,000

I asked the dealer to close the deal with all-weather mats and the manager came over. The manager was weird and said we can't get the all-weather mats and increased our agreed OTD price. What the heck! So we got up and left. The dealer ended up calling and saying they will do the agreed price and mats. I have definitely learned a lot and will be a smarter buyer next time around .

THANKS to all the people here and @brian125 :)

• bufitfn1bufitfn1 Posts: 1

I just leased a 2014 CRV lx AWD 36 month lease I negotiated down to $224 a month $0 down $474 due at signing, 15,000 mile per year. With tax payment is $239 month. Sound like a good deal? Thanks

• s239911s239911 Posts: 6

nkch17 congrats!! isn't invoice for LX AWD 23,500k? you quoted 22,500? or is that the offer you got from the dealer? Your deal is amazing. $2,500 under invoice wow that's a first

• nkch17nkch17 Posts: 10
    @s239911

Most of the invoices I got range from 22,500-23,500 (round numbers)

The lowest invoice I got was 21,995 from Honda East in Cincinnati, Ohio. I hope this information helps you guys!

Brian, See NKCH17 response about invoice prices. do you know if destination charges are low in Ohio? because some CRV's are made there?

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,818

@s239911 said: Brian, See NKCH17 response about invoice prices. do you know if destination charges are low in Ohio? because some CRV's are made there? @s239911 said: Brian, See NKCH17 response about invoice prices. do you know if destination charges are low in Ohio? because some CRV's are made there?

Destination charges are the same for all of the 48 continental states.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks kyfdx, how do we explain the discrepancy in invoice price being quoted. it's roughly a $1,000 difference. I thought invoice was fixed

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,818

@s239911 said: Thanks kyfdx, how do we explain the discrepancy in invoice price being quoted. it's roughly a $1,000 difference. I thought invoice was fixed

If you ask a dealer to "quote" you invoice price, then invoice ends up being whatever the dealer wants it to be. You can research invoice prices here on Edmunds. The only differences would be regional advertising charges. Be sure to include the destination charge in the invoice amount.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• asf2013asf2013 Posts: 1
    edited March 19

Curious to hear your thoughts on whether or not I got a good deal:

Visited the dealership less than 2 weeks ago to test drive a CRV LX AWD (knew we were absolutely not buying that day) and negotiated down to $23,500 without really trying and without doing all my research. Have been getting phone calls from dealership ever since then, and kept an eye on online offers.

Went back today having done my research (thanks to this forum) and knew that my invoice price (we are in RI) was $23,554. Thanks to this forum, I walked in knowing my goal was to get a price no higher than $22,700. I also chose the dealer that I knew had the most CRVs on his lot, so I knew he'd be the most motivated to move the car.

I asked my salesman to make me his best offer first (figured I'd put the ball in his court), and he quoted a price of $234/month (including tax) with something like $1500 down. I asked why the price was $234/month when the online offer is $219/month, and he informed me that the $219 is exclusive of tax, so when you add our state tax it comes to $234 -- fair enough. Then I asked what sale price that lease payment was based on, and he said, "Good question." My husband jokingly said, "Bet you didn't think she'd ask that," and the salesman said, "Actually, I didn't count on that." He came back and told us the sale price was $22,900. I asked him about flex cash at that point, he left and came back to tell me that $22,900 was inclusive of $500 flex cash. I told him that honestly, I needed to have the price down at $22,700, and the salesman said, "Oh, we can definitely do that." Then I said, "Well obviously I should have gone lower," and my husband told the salesman that we had read that Honda had been offering $750 flex cash in some locations. So the salesman said that he would change our offer to $22,500 and see what his boss said. A few minutes later, he came back and said we had a deal for $22,500. That's when I mentioned that I am a new grad (didn't want to mention it earlier and have them deny me flex cash because of new grad discount), and the salesman said, "Well this is going to be a record. You'll get $500 for being a new grad, so you can have the car for $22,000."

My payment was down to $204/month, but my husband and I needed to add miles so we got a lease deal for $221/month for 15K miles/yr plus down payment/taxes/fees of 1367. Total cost of just over $9k for three years. How'd I do?

edited March 19

asf2013,

I think you both did a great job of being prepared with price and knowing the honda Incentives. Sounds like your salesman could not get over on you. It could of been a different story if this dealerships lots were not as full with supply and you did not do your homework first hand.. The key to any good car deal is knowing how and when to buy. getting all your models prices and incentives first hand.. Having a target price to buy and not just asking dealerships to give you there best price..

What you did not mention and along with negotiating the lowest possible price is ............... When you lease a vehicle you need to know the residual value, money factor and cap cost and desired mileage to figure a lease. Its always best to know these numbers prior to making your deal with a dealer.. This important info can be found right here in some of the leasing car forums.. Car-man does a excellent job getting these figures for folks..

.................. enjoy your new CRV

• riles4riles4 Posts: 7

@brian125 said: Example:

Invoice price CRV exl awd no /nav...................27,170 plus 790 dest charge= 28,000 Invoice w dest charge included...................................28,000 dealerhold 2% of base msrp........................................- 543 dealerships doc fee charge........................................- 300 Total starting or asking price to buy .....................= 27,157. OR 843 below dealers invoice price

Brian, you used the example above several days back. Using that example, is the $27157 the out-the-door price you're suggesting to ask for or that is just the selling price you're indicating...in other words $27157 + X% sales tax + TTL = total out the door

edited March 19

Correct that price excludes taxes, dmv fee's, and any other Otd pricing. What area and model are you interested in buying.

• riles4riles4 Posts: 7

I'm in North Florida. Looking only at 2014 EX-L 2WD, no navi, no res, or added accessories/options (assuming the already tinted back windows is already included as standard??? as well as the alloy wheels on the EX-L (10 spoke)???).

My research says: Invoice price is $26,000, with a $830 dest charge to add on top. I believe dealer fees in my area are coming in at $699.

edited March 19

riles4...... You are correct invoice is 26,000. Dont forget to add in the dest/ charge of 830. This way you and dealers are on the same page price wise and theres no confusion in pricing..

All dealers you contact let each know you will buy your said model of 26,830 minus your target price and taken in consideration each dealerships Admin or doc fee charge of 599 plus into your asking price to buy that moment for the sale.

Here is a example if you decide your target price to be 1000 below invoice price.

EXL 2wd invoice w dest/ charge........................26,830

minus your target price ....................................- 1599

Total................................................................25,231

This price gets you exactly 1000 below dealers invoice. This price also excludes taxes, dmv fee's and admin/ doc fee. It also exludes any incentives that you qualify for [ flex cash, or college grad. ] By putting dealers admin/ doc fee of $599. onto your asking price will make this ridiculous high fee a wash on the bill of sale. Here in NY our doc fee is capped at $75. Every state has a different number

Make a list of all the dealerships you want to travel to in Florida. Call each dealership on the phone speak with the internet dept. Ask each dealership.. What are your doc fee, and or admin fee's ???. That is the only question you need answered at the moment. Once you have your info you could Re-call each dealership with your target price and counter offer to each dealership.

This is how you should start your negotiation process.

• ekb13ekb13 Posts: 4
    edited March 19

Edit- wrong thread

• lfc4evrlfc4evr Posts: 8

Hi! I'm new here as well, and want to also reiterate that this forum is truly a treasure trove of information. Great job brian125 and all the contributors!

brian125, I'm in northern NJ and know from reading the thread that 500-700 below invoice is pretty much a good deal here. I'm looking for a CRV LX AWD and have an offer from DCH for 23,050 with Costco discount. Doc. fee is 359. My target is 22195, which is 1000 below invoice taking into account the doc fee. My assumption for this calculation is that invoice price is 23,554, so I'm 1,359 below invoice factoring in the 359 doc fee. Is this a good starting point to email to 5-10 dealers in the area? I have a feeling that if I bring up flex cash, they are going to lie and say that either the 500 is included or not available. What are your thoughts on this approach? Also, has anyone bought a car through the costco car program and are there any things I should know about that?

Thanks!

edited March 19

ifc,

For our area in NY/ NJ this a good starting price point. Negotiate hard and dont give in to the end of the month .. keep on telling each dealership I WILL BUY FROM YOU TODAY for this price, Otherwise i have contacted several dealerships in state and out of state and will be waiting to see who meets my price before commiting.. You may not get 1000 below after adding dealers doc fee's into asking price in NJ........ BUT....... You have to try thou.. Your asking price raises the price bar and dealerships looking to sell might go right to there highest price right away avoiding all that bs and nonesense looking to get that sale today..

Another good deal could be getting 700 to 800 below invoice price and finding a dealership that is offering flex cash this would give you a price close to 1200 to 1300 below invoice with flex cash.. thats a very good deal in NJ right now.

I will suggest making a list of your targeted dealerships in NY / NJ. . Then call each dealerships internet dept. Youn want to know 2 things, and 2 things only in your calls......... Price negotiations is the next round of calls.

dealerships flex cash availability.. 500 or 750...???

Dealerships doc fee charge,....???????

After you know this info you know exactly how much to tell each dealership YOUR target price to buy is................ and for the sale that moment while speaking to the Internet manager. This would be your 2nd round of calls to each dealership. Now your ready to buy.

you also let the manager know you will be financing the vehicle thru them to collect the flex cash incentive.. That incentive money of 500 or 750 has nothing to do with your offer price to buy..

Flex cash is giving to you from the Honda corp. to finance vehicle thru them.... Dealer is not giving it to you out of his pocket. He lose's no money on this.... Make your lowest possible deal below invoice from the dealer and take his companies incentive money as a bonus.............LOL..

brian125....George from Autosport just emailed me. He is offering 21,495 (incl. destination fee). The email mentions that "All pricing includes maximum AHFC flex cash while supplies last, which sounds like the actual price is 21,995 and he has applied 500 flex cash already. However, doesn't flex cash get applied at the very end?? I don't know, am I interpreting it right? Regardless, this price sounds too good to be true for NJ!! That's almost 1500 below invoice if you take out flex cash and assume the "true price" is 21,995. Is my calculation correct?? How do you suggest I respond?

ifc,

What model did he quote you on. CRV lx awd.

Invoice w / dest charge = 23,553. Dealers will apply the flex cash to your deal.

I would call george and make him break down this deal.

Here is what you want to know.

Selling price without flex cash , was dest charge included in this price.

If we are correct in assuming these prices are right this is a very good deal for NJ.. Make deal today..... Tell George............... Brian over here at edmunds says to lower his accord prices he has 3 locals going elsewhere to buy unless he wants the business.. I will have them call him.

• wdwdlgwdwdlg Posts: 9

IFC, I am also from North Jersey and have been looking for CRV LX AWD but with NO luck. If you don't mind sharing the breakup it will help lot of people here.I also don't mind going along with you talking to same dealer to finalize a exact same deal if we can get better deal buying together ??. You can Pm me your details if you wish.

Ok, I got the breakdown Brian. That price is excluding destination charge. He said that with flex he could take it down to 21195. If I add 830 dest charge that is 22025, still 1500 below invoice. Add in the 299 doc charge and now we are down to 1200. Again this is for lx awd with no additional accessories. What do you think? Also Brian if wdwdlg and I team up does it help for both of us to get a good deal??