Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• elliefrelliefr Posts: 16

@stever Thanks--I was wondering the same thing about the responses. I have a couple of them who want to know how or where I came up with my price. I know the wrong answer is because Brian suggested it. :-) I also have two dealers who say they will take my price. I've sent them a response asking for the total out the door price. I find it unlikely they are going to accept that price without any dickering since I've had two dealers bow out. I also have some that haven't responded.

I know I shouldn't do this but I am focused on a particular color. But I am also very much focused on my budget. I have concerns that if I wait until Sunday, my color will sell out (there are about 37 or so in the area). I have some dealers who tell me they don't have my color but they can get it for me, at no extra charge. Can I trust that? If I can get the deal, I can wait a few days for the car. I'm willing to hold out until Sunday if that's what I need to do to get the best deal.

I am headed to a movie so I take some time away from this project. Then a good night's sleep and we'll see how things go tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261

@elliefr said: stever Thanks--I was wondering the same thing about the responses. I have a couple of them who want to know how or where I came up with my price. I know the wrong answer is because Brian suggested it. :-) I also have two dealers who say they will take my price.

LOL. We may make @brian125 really famous.

If you have two dealers meeting your price, why not do the deal (assuming they have your color)?

And yeah, dealers do swaps all the time and it's usually painless.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,912

hey Stever,

Are you by the Don Imus ranch in New Mexico. Don has that kids for cancer held at his ranch every year.. I listen to him every morning before going off to play golf in NY/NJ on 770 am.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

edited August 29

@elliefr and @stayghost

If the 2 agreeing dealers are further than any dealerships closer to you see if the closer ones will match/ beat for the immediate sale. Let each dealer know WHEN I hang up with you I'm going over to X Honda to buy vehicle .. Do you want the sale or are you going to let x Honda steal it from you.. tell dealers exactly what I said it works most of the time.. you have every dealers back to the wall with making you a better offer or they lose you to x Honda's dealership......... Play the game.

Your cards say you have 4 aces in your hand.

You are both in the drivers seat. like the 1978 song from.............. Sniff n tears.

Have fun Tomorrow............ I'm going to be kicking Chevy butt myself Tomm. Cant wait.. lol

• stayghoststayghost Posts: 18

Thanks @Brian125 .. you're kinda making me look forward to waking up tomorrow, grabbing a coffee and bullying these dealers!

@brian125 said: hey Stever,

Are you by the Don Imus ranch in New Mexico. Don has that kids for cancer held at his ranch every year.. I listen to him every morning before going off to play golf in NY/NJ on 770 am.

I'm camping a couple of hours NW of there right now at a hot springs spa sort of near Espanola. Can't recall being on the road between Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM where Imus's ranch appears to be, although we were in Mora not too long ago and that's sort of close. One of these days.

We're moving to Las Cruces permanently on Monday.

• tsc4tsc4 Posts: 2

Please help. I want to purchase a 2014 CRV EX AWD in NC this weekend (I see the model available in inventory on several local websites). I understand the concept of offering invoice price minus 1500-2000 (24,853+830 destination-2000 below invoice discount=23,683). What I dont understand is, how to figure out what other incentives exist at any given time. I also don't know how to predict what fees are going to be required when the deal is finalized (I imagine this is part of the game dealer's play). Assuming I can calculate what the NC tax will be (giving me the final out the door price), how do I know what a good pre-tax out the door price is? Thanks in advance!

@stever @brian125 The reason I didn't accept the offer is because I didn't have the total itemized list. I just ran the numbers for total out the door based on my numbers for the TTL. For one dealer, if I have my math right, the OTD price they sent me has an extra $1,000 hidden in there somewhere. So I want the itemized list. The other one said he would match it but hasn't yet sent that itemized list or total out-the-door price. I don't want to show up on the lot and then have other fees show up. Also, they don't have my color but they say they can locate one for me. I have one dealer that is closer who has been working with me, until I sent my note today. Haven't heard from him.

I like to fish. I am very patient. I can wait. When I get my price, I will check with a closer dealer but if it works out with one of these other two, they aren't too far away.

Brian--I'm sure you will do well on your Chevy deal!

@tsc4 I'm sure Brian and Steve will have info on this. Here is an Edmunds article: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html Here is a list of NC fees..scroll down towards the bottom to see vehicle fees: http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/fees/ Also, Carmax has a calculator to calculate fees based on your state: http://www.carmax.com/enus/tax-title-tags-fees-calculator/default.html

• carey12carey12 Posts: 4

Does anyone know if $2000 under invoice is possible in Southern California? Does the Honda Finance promo effect the deal?

• atla4atla4 Posts: 3
    What is "dealer cash"? Is that a credit from Honda factory to buyer? Is it available to cash buyers and you just ask the dealer for the "dealer cash" amount to be taken off the vehicle price after all negotiations have been completed?

Thanks
  • sjytansjytan Posts: 4

Hi @brian125‌, thx for the reply, but I still not very sure with your advise. You said the target price is $1.5-2k below the invoice price. If I refer to the quote I got from dealer:

MSRP $26,050.00 Sales Price $22,913.44 Accessories $412.00 Total Sale Price $23,325.44 Tax (6.25%) $1,457.84 VIT $59.90 Title & License Fees $275.00 Total Drive Out $25,118.18 (includes destination charge $830.00, and also includes window tint$312.00, and nitrogen filled tires $99.00).

Then what should be my target price that I should pay? Right now the OTD price is about $1k lower than MSRP, is this a good deal? The dealer also tried to convince me to close the deal but I believe I still can get better deal than that, don't you think so?

Btw, I'm in houston, if anyone has experience of buying CRV in Houston recently, please advise. And any recommended dealership? Many thanks!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,801

@atla4 said: What is "dealer cash"? Is that a credit from Honda factory to buyer? Is it available to cash buyers and you just ask the dealer for the "dealer cash" amount to be taken off the vehicle price after all negotiations have been completed?
    Thanks

Dealer cash is extra bonus money that Honda pays the dealer when they sell that unit. You should factor that amount into your negotiations, knowing that the dealer has that much more room to play with.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• stayghoststayghost Posts: 18

Have initial offers from 8 out of 20 dealers. Can you believe 12 haven't responded yet? Getting on the phones now. IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

It seems like they all woke up at 10:00. Getting phone calls and emails. I am at $22,500 out the door right now. With Brian's suggestion of $1,500 to $2,000 off dealer invoice, my math with all the taxes, title and licenses puts me at $21,456.19 to $21,986.19. I am going to wait out the day and see how things go as I am hearing from more dealers. We'll see how the day progresses...perhaps I can get a couple of accessories I would like thrown in.

I have two dealerships, both about 45 to 60 minutes away who don't have my color. One said they could get it for me but there would be a $100 transfer fee. I let him know the other one also didn't have my color but offered to drive it to me for free on Tuesday when it came in.

• carey12carey12 Posts: 4

I think the deals in So. Cal were better a month ago :-(

edited August 30

@tsc4 said: Please help. I want to purchase a 2014 CRV EX AWD in NC this weekend (I see the model available in inventory on several local websites). I understand the concept of offering invoice price minus 1500-2000 (24,853+830 destination-2000 below invoice discount=23,683). What I dont understand is, how to figure out what other incentives exist at any given time. I also don't know how to predict what fees are going to be required when the deal is finalized (I imagine this is part of the game dealer's play). Assuming I can calculate what the NC tax will be (giving me the final out the door price), how do I know what a good pre-tax out the door price is? Thanks in advance!

Unless dealers have a lot of your model CRV on there lots getting 2k below in NC will be a task. What do you mean by a pre-tax otd price ?

pre- tax numbers are vehicle selling price, plus any added accessories / items in vehicle. That total price gets taxed by your states sales tax rate along with dealers doc fee/ admin charge. that should round out your OTD price. Some states have a small tire disposal fee or a internet fee. Your DMV charges that accrue for this vehicle will not be included to be taxed by the state. These charges are separate line items on the bill of sale after total purchase price is calculated.

On doc fee's :

I live in a state with sales tax. Is a doc fee taxable? It depends. California, Illinois and Arkansas specify their caps as taxable; Iowa says doc fees are not taxable. Each state has its own laws.

Hope I explain your question

edited August 30

sjytan

You need to tell me what model this is? 2wd or Awd. This info needs to be in each post every time you post. I remember you asking about the ex model but not sure. If it is???? I gave you both invoice prices. Subtract your target price from the invoice and negotiate. dealers with vehicles that have all that crap added to them walk away. Buy what you want unless you cant find your model. or negotiate down added options to as close to there dealers invoice as possible

From what you are posting above you have a 99 dollar item that must be thrown into the deal or removed off bill. Window tint can be negotiated down another 100 dollars or more.

Your target selling price for the vehicle is 1500 to 2k below . Work on getting a price somewhere in between or at this target price then negotiate accessories down some. Or find another dealer with your model without dealer gouging you for all those pricey items.

Got to take care of business myself today. I have a 4pm car buying tee off .

See you guys later.. Good luck with negotiations.

• tsc4tsc4 Posts: 2

Thanks Brian. Yes, that information helps. Before I pull the trigger on my emails tonight, I just wanted to clarify that my math is right. I am planning to offer invoice price (plus destination fee) minus 1500 (since 2000 is possibly too steep in NC) plus accessory price plus tax (on whatever gets taxed) Nothing else, right? Any doc fees, dealer fee, advertising fee should be part of above price, correct? THANKS!!

@brian125

I am in FL and looking for the 2014 Honda CRV LX.

Had a guy tell me on the phone he could do it for $22,500 out the door and all the other dealers told me there was no way. They were right. When I got him to send me the itemized list via email, it was actually $23,000.

Getting a little dejected but I know you will say to wait until Sunday. Here are some prices I have so far. I know the nitrogen tires and stuff are bogus. The cargo tray and cover would be nice but I can get those elsewhere.

$19,794 $100 transfer fee to bring in the color I want (I'm telling them to remove that) $629 for wheel locks, a cargo tray in the back, door edge guards, nitrogen filled tires, and cargo cover. $228 (estimated tag and registration transfer fee..I've asked for exact) $1,335 Sales Tax $22,786 Out the door

$19,849 $699 doc/dealer fee ? Taxes, tag ,etc $22,913.33 Out the door Includes a package that includes including the nitrogen tires, wheel locks, etc and the trunk tray but not the cover. (This guy just told me he thinks they met their quota and the price may not be available. He is checking.)

$20,777.15 Price $598.50 Dealer Fee $123.95 Doc Fee $140 Tag Transfer $8.50 FL Tire & Batt Disposal $1,301.88 Sales Tax $23,000 Out the door

I have another guy who claims his dealership doesn't charge a dealer fee but of course the prices are higher...$21,987. He quoted me a price of $23,400 out the door but when I ran the math, it will probably be higher. I'm double-checking with him.

Thanks.

@brian125 For your reference, this is what you had suggested:

Your target price to buy in FL. should range from 1500 to 2000 below dealers invoice price. if you could get a higher price than 2k you have done very well.

Your States doc fee's are high at 699, to get a price of 2k below dealers invoice price you need a asking price of 2699 off the invoice price of your model. The LX fwd model with destination charge include is.......................... 22,548

any accessories added to your vehicle you want at dealers invoice or close to that number.

@cheap‌ Honda parts or @collegehills Honda . Use these prices as your guide to getting the dealers to match accessorie prices.

The guy who met his quota said they used up their dealer cash so the price is now $500 more.

@brian125‌ , thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm planning to get 2014 CRV EX FWD. The invoice you gave me is $24513 (include dest charge) + tax 6.25% ($1532) + VIT $59 + title & license $275, then the drive out price without anything added will be $26379. following your guide, the target price should be $24379-24879. Is this what you meant? Many thanks!

edited August 30

Invoice w/ dest charge=24,513 minus target price of 1500 to 2000 then add your OTD pricing onto that number..

@ellisfr-................... tomorrow if your price is not met lower it down a few dollars for the sale.

Thanks. We will see how things go on Sunday.

By the way, for those of you who have followed these methods...emailing and/or phoning several dealers, one reason you might not have heard back from some is because your phone mailbox is full. :-) Just discovered that and as I deleted messages, the new ones from yesterday and today arrived. FYI.

• vichervicher Posts: 1

@brian125...kudos, I got the deal I wanted. Great info and feedback to save me and countless others on this forum some serious money. Thank you so much!

@sjytan...I pulled the trigger on same car you want in the DFW market. Got it for $24.5k OTD...all from the comfort of my recliner. Most of the dealers in the area have approx 45 2014 CRVs on the lot and with 2015s coming in the door n the next few weeks, these guys just gotta move inventory. Good luck!

edited August 31

Congrats @vicher!

I was wondering if everyone was having more fun negotiating instead of actually pulling the trigger on a deal. :)

@brian125 thanks for the advise, I understand it now. The dealer still does not want to lower the price so I am still waiting to see any better offer.

@vicher‌ could you please share your detail/itemized OTD quote? I wanna ask the dealerships around here if they can "match" it. Many thanks.

• Sjytan,

I'm in Houston metro area. Not sure what trim level you got but I got 2014 LX base model for OTD about $23200 ($500 of it is GAP which I generally don't buy so could've been $22700). On all cars they put tint, nitrogen air in tires,etc. BS just to keep you from your target price. Nitrogen in tires for lifetime is what they tried to sell me for value. No thanks. I don't want my front windshield and side windows tinted as dark as back so no thanks. but this is how the car comes so I will take it but not pay a premium. They will tell you they will offer you extras like floor mats, full tank gas etc that is included in new car purchase anyway. I invested about 2-3 hours reading up on here and other websites, used Brian's advice (Thanks!), and sent 1 set of emails and half-assed f/u emails as I'm tired from work. This website is great as this is the second time I used it to buy a new car to make a new car buying experience as painless as it can get. Get multiple emails out, make them price match the low offers, get an "OTD price", target a dealership and be prepared to walk. My first new vehicle I purchased 3 years I ago I walked and they called back and gave me lower price, but time is a luxury we don't always have. I'm sure I could have gotten similar deals elsewhere in Houston but you really need to get offers from the Houston Hondas and the one ones nearby like Galveston, etc. within 1-2 hours driving distance. I stayed off the phone and just did emails until I knew which dealership I wanted to go with then used the phone. Even after getting a promise of no haggling...I had to haggle. Almost walked out, but they got me and sold me GAP insurance.

• New 2014 LX $23200 OTD in Houston metro. They tried to make me pay top dollar for window tints and nitrogen air in my tire Fo' Life!