Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Just received this offer from a dealer in NJ (Bridgewater). Would love to get thoughts. 2014 CRV EX/L w/ Nav

27445 - Car Price 830 - Destination Fee 2014.45 - NJ Tax 299 - doc fees 7.70 - Online MV Fees 7.50 - NJ Tire Tax

30,899.45 Out The Door Price

Trying to get them lower, but not sure they will budge.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,455
    edited February 7

rutgersdave

Negotiate thru this month with Auto-Sport honda they are in bridgeport. they will sell lower by the end of the month..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• I am in SoCal, and I am looking for a 2014 CR-V LX FWD. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to wait till end of March (end of quarter) instead of end of Feb to buy?

both dates are a good time to buy. Start your search and negotiations 3 week of Feb, buying at End of march if you cant strike a good deal prior.. get several dealerships involved.

• stfwaynestfwayne Posts: 26
    edited February 8

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD with no navigation.

I was quoted 30,895 OTD at one dealership in Michigan, then quoted 30K OTD at a 2nd dealership with some haggling in person, finally I was quoted under 29K OTD at another dealership (over the phone) but I would have to come in to finalize the price.

So I am going to go to the dealer that offered me the following: - 2014 CRV EX-L AWD (NO NAVIGATION) - Urban Metallic - Black Leather - All Weather Floor Mats, Trunk Mat, Front Hood Deflector - OTD 29K (dealer said he could go slightly under 29K but id have to come in)

So my question is...is this a good price? Are there any other accessories that are necessary to ask to be thrown in such as wheel locks, door guards? Should I try to haggle down even further to 28,500? Should I try to get warranty or maintenance thrown in for free or part of the price?

Since the dealer was trying to beat the 30K price that is why he said he can go under 29K to give me $1000+ incentive to buy from him over the 2nd offer i got for 30K. But he said he cant offer this price past next week and my mother really wants a new car and doesnt want to wait any longer.

I want to purchase this car next week so any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have enjoyed reading this comment thread as it has been very helpful to gauge what others have paid.

Thanks again (in advance lol!), Shawn

edited February 8

stfwayne

OTD pricing can not determine a good price from a bad price . Unless you are buying in the same state and comparing several dealers together. Here is why??. Every State's tax rate, and dmv charges differ along with dealers doc fee charges. Some states have no sales tax, some have 9%. Some dealerships charge doc fee's of 75 dollars others as high as 900. Doc fee's are added dealer profit. If i know a dealers doc fee charges are 500 I then add that extra 500 onto my target or asking price to buy.. Thus making that charge a wash on the final bill of sale. Most dealers wont remove this charge from there bill of sale ............... so add it on......... dealers know who the smart buyers are and who they will get over on.................................. Dont let it be you.....

You first need to know your cars invoice price. Then you need to figure out a target price to buy/ What to ask dealers for?. Knowing how and when to buy is the key to any good deal.. Always try to buy the last days of any month.. last 2days, last day.

Below is how you break down any car deal.

Give us your agreed selling price of vehicle?

Does this price include destanation charge of $830

What are dealers doc fee charge?

Your CRV exl awd invoice is............. 28,000 including dest / charge.

Depending on your area which you did not mention the target price for crv's can range from

500 below dealers invoice to 1700 below excluding any rebates and incentives.

Supply and demand and your area will be a factor in pricing. Find dealerships with rows of CRV's and pricing may be alot better. Call high volume dealerships you will recieve beter pricing.. Buy at months end will help you get better pricing. Get several dealership involved by email then direct calls to the int. managers will help get better pricing. avoid walking in and out of dealerships .. YOU will waste your time . Secure your best deal on line via email then close deal with direct calls to the INT. MGR. of each dealership.

Presidents week into the end of the month is when you should shoot to make your lowest price deal. Hold out Negotiate and buy at months end.. Let each dealership come to you for your business . Let dealerships chase you and not the other way around. If your target price is 1k below invoice stick to it and hold out til months end... The end of the month is when you have the most leverage.. Here in the Northeast sales for all cars have been terrible due to the weather. These next 2 months will be very competitive with Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, and Ford running there incentives and trying to pick up sales.. This will help us Honda buyers.. All car companies numbers are down for Jan/ FEB

As far as accessories... if you get a great below invoice price dealer wont throw in free accessories.

Not a good price dealer may try to lure you with some freebie's..

wheel locks are standard on your model. Splash guards, Running boards, Pin stripe, door edge are all nice features, Always ask dealer to throw in the ones you like at his cost when negotiating your deal. Not after your deal and price has been struck. leverage is lost then..

hope this helps you understand................... Brian

• I got the first round of email feedback from six local dealers in SoCal (Inland Empire area), the best I got is $21,300 for CR-V LX 2WD (Invoice $22,600). If there is no trick, might be a good price even though it is not yet the end of the month.

edited February 9

Wow Brian thanks for that great post. Showed it to my mom for her to read since she is buying the vehicle im just helping her negotiate and get the best deal.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out very nice of you.

As for my location, I am located in Michigan area. I have emailed the following email to 14 out of the 15 Honda dealers in my state.

Hello, I am looking to purchase a new 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L with AWD, in Urban Metallic with Black interior and the following accessories: wheel locks, splash guard set, hood air deflector, door edge guards, all season floor mats, and cargo tray.

I am not interested in compromising on any of the accessories or interior/exterior colors. I have already test drove a CR-V and have contacted every single dealership in the state of Michigan.

Please only include the out the door price with all fees and taxes included. I will be purchasing this car before the end of February 2014 at the dealership that offers the most competitive price.

Thank you!

Hi mike

You have a high volume honda dealer up by you in Albany. I would send out a email/ then call to that dealers int. mgr. Give model and your target price of 1k below invoice.. your offer is not unreasonable and should be obtainable at months end. State in your email or call to manager you will buy that moment if he/ she agree's on your price.. With all the bad weather and slowing sales these past 2 months you should hit your mark..

• vb124vb124 Posts: 1

Hi Brian

I am in WI state, and got a quote for CR-V EXL AWD(No Navigation and DVD Rear Entertainment) for $26998(Including destination fee)+$179(Service Fee)+5.5% sales tax, and need to add $174 title fee.All together it ended up with $28845. Does this price sounds good ?Appreciated your comment on this.

vb124

Your working a good deal/ price so far. Negotiate thru the end of this month then close.. 1000 below invoice nice job .. Try to hold out to the end of the month. Let dealer sit on his offer. you may save a few more dollars by doing so. Overall if you buy at 28,845 and cant go lower on the price you will have made a very good deal..

Good luck and enjoy your CRV.

vb124

So far your working on a good deal at 1000 below dealers invoice. Get as many dealerships involved as far as your willing to travel and make your best/ lowest deal at the end of the month.. If 28,845 is the best deal at months end you did well..

Good luck............... enjoy your new CRV

edited February 11

Brian, I emailed all 14 dealerships in Michigan and have only heard back from 4, 2 days later. I know it's only been 2 days but do you think I should call for a quote or wait for them to email me back. It seems strange that only a few would contact me back when sales are so poor in these snowy months. And at the same time I dont want to call anyone to seem desperate after I sent an email already. So far the lowest price I was able to get with all my accessories, fees, taxes included was $29,040 OTD.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468

@stfwayne

If you read @brian125's posts carefully, his methods depend on timing your purchase during the last 2 - 3 days of the month. It is just the 11th of February. Wait it out. You'll start to hear back from the other dealerships as the month comes closer to the end.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited February 11

Vb124,................. above post is worth mentioning again. Always try to get as many dealerships involved as possible

Dealerships that are still looking to meet factory to dealer incentives, monthly or Quartly sales incentives tend to sell lower right at the end of the month. If a dealership does not need to meet any deadlines then that price you recieved on the 8th or 15th of the month will still be honored at the end. If its not you walk away from that DEALERSHIP.. I have found many great deals from high volume dealers at months end...They will sell alot lower thru the month than the little dealer will. But both will discount with big savings to meet there quoto's.. Catch the right dealership and you will feel like you hit the slot machine at vegas.

I'm sure alot of you experienced this; you walk into a dealership sit with the salesman you get nowhere with getting a good price out of him. They lie and will tell you how they cant sell any lower cause dealer is losing money etc, etc, Be armed with the right prices so you could knock these guys back into place. A educated informed buyer always has the leverage when buying.. You make every dealership try to earn your business, not the other way around.. . Sales folks today are trained to wear you down and confuse you.. And the classic scene is when a Salesman has to get up to speak with his manager 3 x and you are left sitting there like a monkey while they laugh at you from behind the back wall.. LOL.. 3 hours later of wasting your time. You finally had enough and are leaving.The Salesman chase's you down and throws one more last minute pitch to earn your business. Something he / she should of did 3 hours ago.. Dont be played like this. you deserve better. This happens alot to many folks........... Decide on a target price to buy then start negotiations online via email with 10 or 15 dealerships. Then closing the deal with the internet mgr. on the last days of that month.. Once you have a agreed price then go down to the dealer to wrap up your deal.. So much valuable time saved..

Sales are down for Honda the past 2 months stock is starting to pile up due to the weather.

Another big Northeast snow storm comming up the coast . That means another bad week of car sales sending alot of dealerships into the last week to pull off sales numbers... Sounds to me like a buyers month here in the northeast and midwest.

edited February 12

@stfwayne; said

Brian, I emailed all 14 dealerships in Michigan and have only heard back from 4, 2 days later. I know it's only been 2 days but do you think I should call for a quote or wait for them to email me.

YOUR PLAN AND GOAL..... BUY THIS VEHICLE LAST 2 DAYS , LAST DAY THIS MONTH.................. like a game of poker you never tip your hand til the end.

IF you emailed 14 dealerships with what make, model, and your target price to buy....... then just sit back at let them respond to you. On Feb 26 thru 28th you start up your negotiations if a deal is not struck by then. This time its direct calls to the internet managers.. speak only to him/her for the sale if possible.. If your earlier email did not state............... I buy today at this price RE-send out emails again. Dealers may not repond till they know sales quoto's will not be meet this month.. You are consider a smart shopper so they know you will be holding out til the end.. Be impatient and you show weakness and they will pin you out. Never tip your hand to the very end. You have the leverage by buying like this and will make the best possible deal..

If your target price is xxx you want each dealership to match or beat that price for the immediate sale that moment. Do this thru the internet manger.. Make him/ her fax you a email with agreed pricing in writing or a faxed bill of sale holding with a credit card deposit... This covers your butt.

If i email 20 dealers.... 8 may not respond 3 may not want to discuss price online. The rest are the dealerships i try to make my best deal with.. If a couple of the dealerships that are not internet friendly and tell me they will match a price of another dealer i may consider them if they are very close to me otherwise there out.

Dealers that are not Internet friendly are usually behind the times and more times than not are Bs. Artists.....

• Does anyone think that Presidents Day may be a good day to buy? Does Honda usually have any incentives? I've seen other car manufacturers advertise Prez Day deals (Nissan with $2k bonus cash, for example). Or wait til the end of the month?

After some haggling the lowest price i was able to get out the door with all the accessories (cargo tray, all weather mats, mud guard set, wheel locks, front hood deflector) on a CRV EX-L AWD was $29,719 from one dealer and $29,919 from another. Im still going to wait till the end of the month but with both dealers telling me this is their bottom line and they wont drop it a penny whether i wait or not how do i approach the negotiation when i go to purchase it at the end of the month?

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,788

@stfwayne said: After some haggling the lowest price i was able to get out the door with all the accessories (cargo tray, all weather mats, mud guard set, wheel locks, front hood deflector) on a CRV EX-L AWD was $29,719 from one dealer and $29,919 from another. Im still going to wait till the end of the month but with both dealers telling me this is their bottom line and they wont drop it a penny whether i wait or not how do i approach the negotiation when i go to purchase it at the end of the month?

Can you provide a breakdown of those OTD numbers - selling price, taxes, fees, etc.?

Also, where do you live? This will help folks who read this discussion get the best possible price on their CRV.

Thanks!

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited February 14

Sure thing, Michaell@Edmunds...here is the breakdown:

2014 CRV EX-L AWD (No Navigation)

Sale Price of Vehicle: $26,988 + Doc Fee: $224 = $27,212

6% Sales Tax (State of Michigan) = $1,632.72

Transfer Plate and Title Fee: $23

$27,212 + $1,632.72 + $23 = $28,867.72

Accessories: All Season Floor Mats, Cargo Tray, Door Edge Guards

Hood Air Deflector, Splash Guard Set, Wheel Locks

Total for Accessories + Installation: $832.80

Total Out the Door Price with ALL fees, taxes, accessories included:

$28,867.72 + $832.80 =====> $29,700 (All prices come directly from the e-mailed dealer quote)

I havent purchased this vehicle yet but here are the prices that I received from the other dealers in the state to give you an idea of what I was going up against: $29,918, $30,451, $30,563, $30,690, $30,903, $31,000, $31,266, $32,098. I emailed the above quote to every single dealer and none could come close except one ($29,918 roughly $220 more than my best offer).

I plan on waiting till the end of the month (last 2-3 days) to make sure I get the best deal. I may call tomorrow to see if I can put a small deposit to guarantee the price thru the end of February (or should i not do this??) But what do you recommend saying to the dealer in person as I have only haggled over the phone and never met the dealer that gave me the lowest price (I test drove the car at the dealer that offered me the highest price). I plan on asking for the cargo organizer thrown in for free but what else should I ask for or should i just accept $29,700 as the best price available??

Note: the dealer that offered me the best price is the #1 Honda dealer in terms of cars sold per month so I dont think they are too concerned about not selling enough vehicles since they move the most out of any dealers in the state.

I apologize for the formatting of this post and thanks again everyone on these forums for your advice and help!

edited February 14

@stfwayne said, I plan on waiting till the end of the month (last 2-3 days) to make sure I get the best deal. I may call tomorrow to see if I can put a small deposit to guarantee the price thru the end of February (or should i not do this??

Never give any dealer a deposit.. The only time You leave a deposit is after you and dealer agreed on a sale price and your going to buy vehicle.

Wait til the end of the month those other dealers will lower there price. If not you buy from dealer#1..

Buying a car is like a game of poker. dealer has 2 weeks to close you. Let these dealers come back to you. Half will... Every time a higher priced dealer emails or calls, let them know in 2 weeks your buying from dealer #1 unless you could match or beat xxx price. and these accessories are added into the deal at dealers cost.. Not full MSRP.. If any one of those dealers agree before months end you seal the deal..

Your leverage in this deal is to drill into every other dealer beat my high volume guy or lose my business. By saying give me your best price is where your making the mistake and are classified by dealers............. as the average buyer.

brian125, every higher priced dealer that has followed up with me to see if I am interested I have let them know the best price that I have and told them I would do business with them if they could throw in an extra accessory and beat the price by $100 otherwise I will be going with my final offer of $29,700. Not one dealer has even attempted to beat that price with two or three dealers even getting upset and claiming I was lying and asking to see a quote. I sent the email quote to those dealerships as proof and they responded by saying they could not come close to that price but if i wanted the best service to stop by their dealership. Note: i only asked them for their "best" price in the first set of email negotiations. Since I left my number in the email forms all have called numerous times but none could touch that low number.

That is why I am so confused. Not one dealer has come close to the price of $29,700. One managed to get it down to $29,919 but told me that even if i waited till the last day of the month or during Presidents day sale (his words not mine) that he couldnt go under $29,900. I told him thank you for his time and hung up.

So now here I am with the offer of $29,700, I am just going to wait till the end of the month and see what comes up because no one is able to touch that price. I even called two dealerships in Ohio to see what they could do and their lowest number attempt to match my deal was $29,950. I dont know if $29, 700 is some kind of steal but no one has been able to touch that deal with the accessories included since I believe the high volume dealer was basically able to throw them in for much lower cost ($300-400 less) than the other dealers.

Like I said I am going to wait until the end of the month but how do I approach that high volume dealer that gave me the price of $29,700 when I make the final negotiations. Should I ask for a lower price in the dealership? Should I ask for a bigger accessory than just a cargo organizer (MSRP $78)?

Thanks Shawn

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,646

You seem to be putting yourself through a LOT over a lousy 100.00 but, hey, it's your money.

I just hope that 29,700 wasn't a lowball that they won't honor. Some stores will do that if they know they are being shopped all over. Since the other places wouldn't even budge 100.00, I suspect this is probably the case. Good luck!

Shawn

Play out the next 2 weeks and buy at the end of the month..

Ok guys turns out the $29,700 and the $29,919 offers were deceptive by not including the destination fee of ($830). So the best offer is $30,500 and since I got upset they said they would work with me on bringing it down from the original FAKE price of $29,700 to $30,500. Even though the dealership was deceptive they are still the lowest price by $300. And yes $100 does matter because that is the difference between getting an accessory and not getting one so it does make a difference.

• What is the best price I can expect to get on a 2014 CR-V 2 wheel drive

• oops, need to more specific. 2014 CR-V LX front wheel drive. What is the best price I can expect to be able to negotiate? and how about on the EX? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

• I forgot to add that I am in GA. B)

edited February 15

@ atlangel said,

What is the best price I can expect to get on a 2014 CR-V 2 wheel drive.

Your target price to buy should be between 800 below dealers invoice price on the very low end of the sale to as high as 1700 below invoice price.

You also need to take in consideration any dealerships high Doc fee' charges. If they are high you need to add them onto your asking price making that charge a wash on the bill of sale .

example; 2014 CRV, LX fwd model Invoice price = 22,723 plus destanation charge= 830.

Total ............ $23,553..... So if my tareget price to buy is 1200 below invoice and dealers doc fee charge is 599 my asking price to buy is $ 1799 below invoice price. This price excludes any rebates and incentives that apply to me. You then add your states taxes ,dmv, fee's and dealers doc fee charge onto bill of sale for your out the door pricing..

Buy at the end of the month to get best pricing from dealerships.

Good luck.................. brian

• Hi,

I'm in the Chicago area and have a dealer quoting me the out-the-door price of $27,326 for an EX. The cost of the car is $23,770 and they are adding on $3556 of fees including 9% sales tax ($2140), destination fee = $830, $247 regional ad fees (are these negotiable?) and who knows what else. This is the first price given to me from any dealer so I'm going to start here and work with other dealers. I'd like the OTD price to be $25k. Is that reasonable for my area for an EX? Want to make sure I'm being realistic before starting any more email negotiations and asking them to meet a price point. Any advice would be appreciated and worth a slice of deep dish pizza being sent to you.