Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,355

@saratogasteve said: Isell - what do you think is a good price for a Honda Accord? as a sales person - how do you

come up with a price when your mother or family member wants to buy a car? Would you tell them MSRP is suggested and they should just follow the "suggestion" of the manufacturer?

• I remember when dealers would write dealer mark up on the sticker - some still do.

We had a "family and friends" pricing policy and that varied by model, availability etc. usually we would charge around 200-600 dollars over invoice and include any incentives if there were any.

Some people here think they have all of the answers and that dealers have "secret" profits and that making any kind of a profit is evil I do believe.

Bottom line, it always boils down to whatever the MARKET is. That is what determines pricing. If it's a dime a dozen car than a skinny deal can be made. If it's some high demand car that is in very short supply, do dealer in their right mind will cheap sell it.

It's no different in Real Estate and many other things.

• radar007radar007 OhioPosts: 15
    edited February 2

My question is why can I get a quote for a '14 Accord LX for roughly $1700 difference for the exact same car in 2 different states? Why do some dealers give deep discounts and others will not. Do they not pay the same for the car? Do higher volume dealers get better kickback from the manufacturer? I want to buy local but that is a pretty big price difference.

• jwatljwatl Posts: 8

Well, after a ton of research and negotiating with ~10 dealers, I finally pulled the trigger today and bought my 2014 Accord EX-L V6 (no Nav). I think I got a steal at $27,302 before TTL (includes all dealer fees and $500 flex cash). $29,296 OTD. From what I can tell, that's $1,241 below invoice.

Brian - thank you for all your help.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,022
    edited February 2

jwatl

Good job negotiating. Excellent price for your area..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• tbj0801tbj0801 Posts: 9

jake1728 and saratogasteve: No trade-in. Just a straight purchase, all negotiated before I even walked into dealership. Used all the techniques described by Brain and others in this thread.
    The Northern VA dealers (Landmark, etc) and Annapolis were a waste of my time as they just gave me the usual run-around; so I quickly eliminated them. Criswell Honda did call me as I was walking into dealership to sign the final papers and it appeared they were going to verbally agree to same deal. In hindsight, perhaps I could have even gotten slightly better deal (or a few other accessories thrown in) by prolonging the negotiation (and getting greedy) by playing off Criswell, etc. but I needed to seal the deal that night due to my own time constraints. My family and I are incredibly happy!

edited February 2

@radar007 said: My question is why can I get a quote for a '14 Accord LX for roughly $1700 difference for the exact same car in 2 different states? Why do some dealers give deep discounts and others will not. Do they not pay the same for the car? Do higher volume dealers get better kickback from the manufacturer? I want to buy local but that is a pretty big price difference.

Supply and demand and your area are all factors in pricing. If you live in truck country a Accord may sell cheaper. Snow belt area's folks may want that 4x4 instead of a car.

If the price is worth a out of state purchase and pick up we can help you in this forum to make your transition go smoothly. Bus, train, rental car one way very inexpensive. A savings of 500 or more may be worth your time. Everybody has a different take on buying.

• jake1728jake1728 Posts: 5

@tbj0801 said: jake1728 and saratogasteve: No trade-in. Just a straight purchase, all negotiated before I even walked into dealership. Used all the techniques described by Brain and others in this thread.

You did really well, then! I'm impressed; I should have you negotiate my next car. ;) I doubt you could get much more even if you played them off.

Enjoy the new Accord!

• radar007radar007 OhioPosts: 15
    Brian125,
    That's the puzzling thing I live near the snow belt in ohio and lots of trucks around here but got a much better price in VA. Might have to make the trip when the weather breaks. Local dealers won't budge much. Thanks for all your insight into buying cars.
    edited February 3

radar

I would try to get contact info from poster... tjb0801 on dealer contact info.. If his numbers are true he made one hell of a deal at 2500 below invoice price on a 2014. If you could get anywhere close to that number you will save 1300 dollars to make a I day trip to pick up your new Accord.. Id say thats a nice savings for one days work effort.. Here is his last post.

tbj0801 Posts: 9

February 2

jake1728 and saratogasteve: No trade-in. Just a straight purchase, all negotiated before I even walked into dealership. Used all the techniques described by Brain and others in this thread. The Northern VA dealers (Landmark, etc) and Annapolis were a waste of my time as they just gave me the usual run-around; so I quickly eliminated them. Criswell Honda did call me as I was walking into dealership to sign the final papers and it appeared they were going to verbally agree to same deal. In hindsight, perhaps I could have even gotten slightly better deal (or a few other accessories thrown in) by prolonging the negotiation (and getting greedy) by playing off Criswell, etc. but I needed to seal the deal that night due to my own time constraints. My family and I are incredibly happy

• jake1728jake1728 Posts: 5

@brian125

Do you think 2500 below after flex (or even say 2k below after flex) is doable anymore since it's not month end? Something tells me that tbj's deal is going to be hard to replicate at least until the end of this month and maybe till the end of March.

edited February 4

I cant speculate. That price is so low its almost unheard of any dealer needing or wanting to sell that cheap End of the month would be best time to nail a similar price if possible????. Some dealerships will sell real cheap one month and the next month wont .. . Its all a big game...... find the right dealership at months end and anything is possible..

edited February 4

The bad weather here in the NorthEast has effected sales for all cars. . With dealerships getting to the point of having there stores and lots overstocked will result in some great deals. Be patient and buy last 2 days, last day of this month and next month. Presidents week heading into the last days of Feb may be very good this year.. Check dealers inventories to see who has alot of Accords sitting around and try to make deals with them 1st.

. Our beloved Accord has dropped to 4th place this month in sales behind the Camry, Altima, and Fusion . This is a good thing for future Accord buyers.

Stick with a higher target price to buy this month... If your buying and dont get your targeted price hold out til Feb/ presidents weekend to get your price. By the end of feb, if your target price is a little to high then Re- adjust price down and make the sale to buy . The leverage for consumers will be very favorable for us in some of the harder regions to buy. Best to get 10 to 15 dealerships involved and keep negotiating thru Jan, into Feb if your target price to buy is not met.....

Sales are down and you know Toyota, Nissan, Ford , and Hyundai will be loading up on Incentives and rebates to pick up sales...

I'm not saying you could get 2500 below invoice price or 2000........ I do think on a average in most states your target price to buy/ lease should be from a low end of 800 below to as high as 1700. If you could get dealers flex cash on top of these numbers you have done very well. Use your head......If u know your area's market price is not good dont be asking for a 2k below invoice price that will get you nowhere fast and be very frustrating to make a good deal.

MD and VA are 2 area's where you may work hard for 2k or more on a Accord. Boston, MA will sell close 1000 to 1500 below at some dealerships at the end of the month.

OHIO.........500 to 1000 on average

NY/ NJ/ 500 to 1200 on average.. Know your area's market prices

PA/ DE, NC, SC..................same

I personally think getting 1000 to 1200 below invoice price plus flex cash will be more the easy norm for alot of folks.. The higher end deals far a few apart . Better negotiators and hitting that right dealer may be a key to getting that price of 2k or higher.

Work together................... Post the city your in and the dealerships name so folks dont have to keep posting to ask your location etc.............. happy hunting............ Good luck

• llllll Posts: 4

Hi All, I am looking for Accord LX 2014 at los angeles, CA get internet quotation $20,870. What will be the reasonable price in CA?

edited February 6

III

700 below invoice to as high as 1700. It will all depend how far you want to travel to get better pricing. LA pricing is 500 to 1000 below invoice on the average..

looking at your internet price if it included the 790 destanation charge that puts you at $ 749 below invoice price. The Lx model Invoice price with dest/ charge is 21,619

• Brian,

I have been reading your posts and trying to follow the methods in the forums for negotiating the price of Honda Accord. I am from Austin and it is notoriously hard to negotiate. I want to go for a 2014 EXL. The best price and personal negotiations from two dealers was 28125 OTD (with $500 flex cash). They claim they are selling the car at invoice and cannot go down any further. I was willing to settle for 27500OTD. Nope to that too. The taxes here are 6.25%. What do you suggest?

I have quotes from other places like San Marcos, San Antonio and Houston. Some did not respond, other quoted similar numbers.

Thanks.

edited February 6

zene,

What was the dealers selling price of vehicle?? What are your dealers doc fee charges. OTd pricing gives me no info into your deal.... Do you know the invoice price of your model.?

I would hold out to the last days in feb. contact as many dealers as your willing to travel to and make the best deal out of the lot. Target pice in your area 500 below invoice. Outside Austin shoot for 1000 below dealers invoice.

In your emails to all dealerships you state : You will buy your model vehicle, color and any options for xxx price for a sale that moment holding sale with a credit card deposit.

Email the dealerships closest to you and ask if they want your business before you go buy at dealership x. outside of Austin. Emails then direct talks with each dealers internet manager..

make dealers that are closest to you match further dealerships price or walk and buy further.

• carkhojcarkhoj Posts: 13

Need some expert advice. I'm offered Simoniz glasscoat on my new accord for $500 by the dealer. Does this add any value? Should I buy it? Thanks.

image.jpg 1.6M
    image.jpg 1.5M

wash on wash off........ holds no value. Save your money. Every new car comes with a factory clear coat finish to protect the paint. if you want to keep your new cars finish looking new

Wash, claybar, and build up 5 to 6 layers of wax thru the year. repeat every year.

You could buy a product called liquid glass wax. Cost 20 dollars and probably works just as good as your mentioned product.

• Brian,

The invoice was 26650. Taxes were 1665. Tag+Title+state inspection = 120. Documentation was 350$. Total comes to around 28750 and with flex cash he said it was 28250.

Thanks.