Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011-2014 Kia Optima general discussion forum.

2»

Comments

• lovmycarlovmycar Posts: 15

I didn't need that much to get me talking about my new Optima. LOL A bit of info on the Turbo. Just before the turn of 3 thousand miles and the 1st oil change a calculation was made on MPG. Combined city and hi way about equal I would say came out to 28.14 MPG. I think after a little more break-in time it may go up. On this tank of gas so far is mostly hi way with a bit of bumper to bumper mixed miles and the average is showing above 31. I will calculate around next oil change. Seems to be very little difference from my 3013 with the 2.4 as far as MPG. The car in general very different. It's very quiet extremely smooth handles like a dream and quick. The torque this little engine produces at a very low RPM is unreal. Very satisfied with it!

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,248
    edited March 16

Yes, I was very bored that day. Glad you are enjoying your 2014. It is going to snow AGAIN here tomorrow, so I put on my new car cover. It is supposed be 4 to 6 inches, so it will not be any kind of snomageddon situation, and I am off tomorrow so I plan on enjoying it. I am really happy I get to keep my wash and wax nice and safe under the cover until Tuesday.

What kind of driving are you doing to get that kind of MPG? It is very congested here, but still, I am getting 19 mpg. I am a little tired of it, no matter what the circumstances. Perhaps it has something to do with my K&N filter? I dunno.

• lovmycarlovmycar Posts: 15

I do very little driving in highly congested areas and I live close to open hi-ways. My normal use is more open road than in city so i'm sure that has much to do with my MPG being as it is. I usually keep up with traffic speed on the interstates so that does put me at well over 70 MPH much of the time. The MPG could look better if my foot wasn't so heavy. Don't get me wrong I don't use it as a race car I take off smooth and slow and rarely get down to hard. I am well satisfied with the mileage.

You are driving just fine! Most people would kill for that kind of real world MPG. Especially the 6 million people around DC metro. I guess my 19 to 20 mpg is probably right on the money considering the short, low speed trips that my car is forced to endure daily.

On a another topic, I had a letter printed in Car and Driver in the backfires section of the current issue. Believe it or not, this is the second time I have had a letter printed in C/D, but the last one was 20 years ago. I have written to the editor maybe 5 times in that time, so it isn't a case of bombarding them with mail.

Here is a picture of it:

edited March 30

Ordered carbon fiber "K" badges, exhaust valance, and license plate frames. It is the finished, clear lacquer kind of real carbon fiber. After seeing it on another Optima, and noting that my chrome license plate covers are very corroded, I pulled the trigger to dress up the back of the car w/o being too gaudy. (I hope)

Pictures to follow.

There will be a first annual, Washington DC area Kia Optima owners meet at Potomac Mills Mall.on Sunday, April 13th at 1:00 PM. If you are interested in buying an Optima, come to the meet and get real answers from real owners. Already own one? Meet up and talk mods, MPG, prices, 2.4 turbo kits, you name it!

We will be initially meeting up at the IKEA at Potomac Mills.

I just installed carbon fiber "K" badges and a real Carbon Fiber license plate frame, after my heavy chrome frames corroded, and I wanted a less flashy-chrome look. Here is a pic:

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

Looks very good, Chris. Probably even better in person. I am surprised to read about the premature corrosion on the original parts. Your car is only 2 years old and rarely gets exposed to salt. Plus you keep it impeccably clean all the time.

@crkyolfrt said: Looks very good, Chris. Probably even better in person. I am surprised to read about the premature corrosion on the original parts. Your car is only 2 years old and rarely gets exposed to salt. Plus you keep it impeccably clean all the time.

Hey cranky!

This year it snowed a lot, but they were corroding before winter. The extra snow, salt, sand and cold this winter just finished them off... or so I thought!

The chrome plate covers were aftermarket, and the funny thing is that once I got them off the car, I found a bottle of CLR, and it completely killed off all the corrosion. Effortlessly, w/o even scrubbing! So, now I have an extra set.

I had no intention of making the car lighter with carbon fiber, but it is 10x lighter than the chrome ones I had on there and I like the look better. The badges took all of 15 mins to replace. It is nice to hear from you!

-C

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

Interesting about the weight difference. Carbon fiber has always mystified me with its abilities. Looks good, is super strong yet incredibly light. Of course it's expensive so no free ride. Having less weight on a trunk lid is always a bonus though. I find that over the years either the struts or springs get weaker and often requires help to raise or keep them up high enough that the lip isn't in your way with larger stuff when your hands are full.

Nice mod though, how much was the pair?

edited April 8

Well, I was talking about my corroded ones on www.optimaforums.com, stating I was thinking about getting c/f ones if I could get an pair for $50 with free shipping.

One of the vendors who post there (K5 Optima Store) said "sold". So I bought them. They are made by SEIBON, who make serious parts for F-1, NASCAR, etc. Anyway, he didn't check the price and they were $37 EACH! Lol. However, he kept his word and I got them. These are 5 layer c/f, with clips molded in to hold the bottom of the plate, and covered with gloss resin for a perfect finish.. On the back you can see how the layers compressed when the air was sucked out of the mold. Honestly, I was just jazzed to hold c/f in my hands for the first time! So, then I bought the carbon fiber "K" badges to match the plate frames. I know... I am totally anal.

Anyhow, here is the SEIBON link to theirs. You can buy it direct for $32 each.

http://seiboncarbon.com/store/products/carbon-fiber-license-plate-frame.html

edited April 15

DC AREA MEET AND GREET

This past Sunday marked the beginning of the first annual Washington DC area Optima owners meet. With only a weeks notice we managed to attract every year, make and model, color, and almost every modification the industry has to offer. We met at Potomac Mills Mall located 25 miles south of DC, with most people having to endure hours of congested I-95 traffic to get there, including myself. Every part of the DMV was represented, and no two cars were alike, right down to the wheels!

A professional photographer arrived with the Bel-Air MD group, and took some great pictures shown here!

Spawned by a growing following of this popular model, there was a meet in West Chester, PA on the same day. Instead of spending 4 hours each way in grueling traffic here in the East-Coast megalopolis, a board member on a competeing site started our own event. We hope to become a larger event, possibly called the Mid-Atlantic owners meet which would attract more people from points south.

• tylorness88tylorness88 Posts: 3

Ok so I just bought a 2014 optima LX and I'm not sure if it is normal but my gas pedal seems to have this popping feel to it almost like every crack in the road is felt by my foot. Is this something to look into or is it just a new car needing to be broken in? The dealer said its nothing but we all know dealers.

That does not sound normal. It sounds like there is a loose bushing or p[possibly even a motor mount loose, so every time you go over a bump it shakes the engine, then therefore that gas pedal it is attached to. Is this a brand new car or a dealer demo? Was it a low mileage used car? Like with less than 5000 miles on it? This means two things. 1) Previous owner financing fell through, 2) car is a lemon and owners finally traded out to another car.

W/O more info this is all I have to theorize about. Good luck. BTW.... if it is a lemon, upgrade to an EX,

2»