Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2015 in Honda
Welcome to Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Honda Civic purchase experiences. If you have recently purchased a 2014 Civic, please share your experience here.

If you've purchased (or are thinking of purchasing) a 2015 Honda Civic, here's the current model discussion: 2015 Honda Civic Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

To discuss the latest lease details for the current model, please join us in the 2015 Honda Civic Lease Questions forum.

You can also research local dealer inventory and get pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on our 2014 Honda Civic page. (Here's the 2015 Honda Civic page.)

To see all forums discussions about the [insert make/model], including earlier model years, please visit our list of Honda Civic discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

Comments

• hmmhmm3hmmhmm3 Member Posts: 4

Everyone here seems to be using OTD price. Is leasing never an good option? If you get a good OTD price, how do you convert that into a good leasing deal?

Now that some dealerships have 2014 Civics, how much discount should I expect with a 2013? The best I've seen OTD reported here was ~$17.1k-$17.3k. The best OTD for the dealerships around in W PA @6% tax is $18.3k-$18.5k. $18k is already below invoice, so how did people get that much below?

• cherylcelerycherylcelery Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

Hello,

I got a quote for $18478 OTD price for the 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic. I am purchasing it from Orange County. Is this a good price? I also have a quote of $18395 OTD for the 2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic. I would greatly appreciate your insights!

• radar007radar007 Member Posts: 24

Looking at 2014 Civic EX sedan in Ohio. Best price currently is $20,335 + TTL. What should be my target price for this? Are they selling these below invoice yet? I'm also considering a '13 Accord Sport that I can get for close to that I think. What do you guys think?

• radar007radar007 Member Posts: 24
    UPDATE: just got a true car price for '14 civic EX at $19,335. Or can get '13 accord sport with 13,000 miles for $19,831? I like features on both but what would you consider a better deal?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@radar007 said:
    UPDATE: just got a true car price for '14 civic EX at $19,335. Or can get '13 accord sport with 13,000 miles for $19,831? I like features on both but what would you consider a better deal?

Just the way we've always gone at my house... we prefer new over used. It's not that the used car is going to have guaranteed problems, but there can be issues you have to consider. The only used car we purchased in the last 30 years had about 12K on it - and we wound up driving it to about 230,000 miles - but being a manual transmission that had original been owned by someone in CT where they were doing a lot more stop and go driving, the clutch was a bit more used up than it would have been if we had owned the car from mile one. If we had kept the car for another 20-30K it was probably going to be an issue

• veri1veri1 Member Posts: 6

Bought 2013 Civic LX for $16500 (OTD) in northern VA yesterday. There was an incentive of $500 for recent college grad. Hope it is good deal. This forum helped a lot on a target price.

• jm2710jm2710 Member Posts: 1

Yesterday I was offered a price of $20,050 OTD for a 2013 Civic EX with these dealer options priced about $2000: mud splash guards, door edge film, wheel locks, moonroof cover, dealer car care package. The car has 16" alloy wheels. The starting invoice was about $21,560 and the bottom line listed price was about $23500. They were also charging $499 for doc fee. The last OTD number quoted was $20,050 plus $750 in sales tax. Is this a good deal?? Thanks

• vmsivmsi Member Posts: 5

I bought a 2013 Honda Civic EXL Navi for the OTD Price of $22,100.00 [20,400 base Price + 7% state tax =1480 + 249 Doc Fee + 33 Licence Fee] all togeather i got for $22,100.00 - This is @ Honda Marrisville , Columbus Ohio.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

• dottieedottiee Member Posts: 7
    We are buying a 2014 Civic EX-L with Navigation. It seems to be a bit rare at the moment (Jan 22) here in OC, CA. The color combo we want is not available anywhere in SoCal. We're going to wait a few weeks to see if inventory goes up. We would be happy with $24K OTD, however, per vmsi's post above, 2013 @ $22K OTD might make us more ambitious.

Sedan.

• g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160

Dottie, you should definatelly get the dealer down to $22k otd, good luck!

$22k would take lots of luck. Do you really think that's possible?

edited February 2014

Dealers seem to be playing hardball at moment. Probably because of low EX-L w/Nav inventory.
    Either the Nav trim cars are rolling out late or Honda thinks less than 1 in 100 Civic Sedan buyers want Nav.

Nationwide Inventory

2014 Civic Sedan (17,000)

2014 Civic LX (13,449)

2014 Civic EX-L w/Nav (145)

Our trim/color combo (8)! Up from (3) last week.

Offered an internet rep $23.5k OTD for a 2014 Civic EX-L w/Nav. Denied, no counter offer.

I'm also having doubts about the negotiating powers given to internet reps. I'm guessing they are limited and a better deal can be had in person. I'm sure internet reps are dealing with lots of low-ball offers.

We'll wait until March...

• jackwalsh12jackwalsh12 Member Posts: 2

Just bought a 2014 Civic LX 4dr 19,000 OTD. Took a lot of negotiating but we did the deal

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063

@jackwalsh12 said:
    Just bought a 2014 Civic LX 4dr 19,000 OTD. Took a lot of negotiating but we did the deal

Can you provide a breakdown of the $19K? Selling price, taxes, fees, location. This will help others in their negotiations.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@cherylcelery said:
    Hello,

I got a quote for $18478 OTD price for the 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic. I am purchasing it from Orange County. Is this a good price? I also have a quote of $18395 OTD for the 2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic. I would greatly appreciate your insights!

Sounds like a good deal. That would make your sale price under $17k. Did you get one?

• camjrcamjr Member Posts: 1

Hello everyone, new user here with a couple questions regarding a 2014 Civic Sedan EX-L w/out navigation. I'm in southern California and was wondering what price I should be shooting for on this particular model? Is it common to negotiate a car price with an internet sales manager in terms of OTD price or base price minus fees? ANY experience, tips, help, anecdotes MUCH appreciated.

edited February 2014

@camjr, I'm new at this, but I'm thinking that if you do not negotiate an out the door price, the dealer can surprise you with all kinds of fees at the last minute. I would take $1k off the invoice price and run it through the Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator at dmv.ca.gov. I'm thinking $23k OTD would be a good deal for an EX-L. So, maybe shoot for $22k OTD for a great deal.

• jackwalsh12jackwalsh12 Member Posts: 2

Used 500 flex cash and 500 College Grad incentive

• balabbalab Member Posts: 4

Here is my adventure in the new 2014 Civic Honda land. I live in the Bay Area (Northern California). Hope the following will help Bay Area folks directly and those out of the area will have an idea.
    This review might be a bit long. I hope it helps you to prepare and do prep work from what I have gone through.

Bought a new 2014 Civic Sedan CVT (14 miles on Odometer), Modern Steel/Black interior, on 03/08/14: drove off parking lot after signed/paid $18820.10 financed through Honda @ 1.9%, 60mos.

I received 4 quotes from 5 different dealers via Edmunds. The best quote I received was from Anderson Honda (Palo Alto) and the worst was from Auto Nation Fremont (who rather worked with me on the MSRP instead of Invoice price - duhhh!). I received a no quote from South Bay Honda (Milpitas) who kept insisting on me coming down to the dealership or call them - well they lost a potential customer.

Anyway, here is the ordeal of buying a new car at a dealership - fun ?
    -Internet/email quote (from a salesperson @ Anderson Honda): " $16,988 (includes destination...) + tax + DMV license. Approximate OTD: $18,868 "

When I came to the dealer (Anderson Honda) , I was shown a paperwork as: $17,488 + tax + DMV. I was stunned!
    The salesperson did not explain to me very well for me to understand this price. The sales manager (his last name is Lee, forgot his first name) has an attitude and after explained to me a second time about the price, his face was all red and was ready to walk me out the door: take it or leave it and "you are very welcome to shop elsewhere: We are a 5star rating and we are a volume delear. We sell 350 cars a month" - exactly his quote. So why a price difference?
    Here is how I understand it: the difference between the email "quote" and on site price is about $500. This amount is the incentive/discount if financed through Honda => [ $17,488 + tax + DMV + doc&fee ($105) ] - $500 = OTD . Note, this $500 incentive is after the total with all tax and fees included. But, I was tricked with a email quote of $16,988 ($17,488 - $500) + tax + DMV. I then recalled that I sent 4 different emails to the sales person and asked for a detail breakdown of the price quote but, no response! Now, I know why no response. I was not very happy with this trick.

So, here is a breakdown and final drove off parking lot:
    sales price with destination charge : $17,444 (the red face sales manager discounted $44, hah!)
    Doc processing : $80
    Other doc #$%!@ fee : $29
    Tax, DMV licence... ...
    --------------
    Total : $19,320

If finance with Honda - $500
    My OTD $18,820. The finance guy even tried to cheat me on the $500 incentive after I agreed to finance. He did not subtract $500 from the total and wanted me to sing the paperwork. PLEASE READ and BE ALERT: all the documents before you sign and walk out the door. Car dealer are all same $!%^*! - they will try to cheat/steal your wallet!
    Yes, I had to listen to the finance guy's sales pitch of additional coverage (8yr...), alarm...
    to which I said no to all. He was not happy and started to have an attitude. Man, don't they all have attitude when they can't steal or squeeze anymore out of your wallet.

I left the car dealership (Anderson Honda) with a bit of a bad taste in the mouth although, they gave me the best quote among others. Hopefully, this gives you an idea of how tricky they can be.
    Here is another thing: a week earlier (03/02/14) I went to Capitol Honda in San Jose. I (and my family) had the worst experience, a nightmare, that we have ever been in our life. This dealership (Capitol Honda) has no integrity. They have horrible sales tactics. I found out that three other people that I know via our casual conversation that they had gone through the same ordeal/nightmare/horrible experience with the salesman's (Tom Loi - ok so Edmunds will remove his last name) and the dealership (general manager/owner).
    I wrote a review on Capitol Honda on another thread. Please read that review and you will understand.

PLEASE STAY AWAY from Capitol Honda in San Jose.

If you are in the market for a new car (be it a Honda or any make/model), PLEASE:

• Do research, internet/google it would be a good start or via Edmunds which has some pretty helpful threads/discussion/experiences that others have gone through - I suffered because I did not read all the threads here at Edmunds' - specifically the Capitol Honda in San Jose.
    • Get a quote (via internet/email) from the salesperson with all the details: no hidden/gimmick. Any incentive? please include in "quote"... You just want Out The Door price and that is what you expect to pay.
    • Be flexible: have a firm price point that you want to pay for the car and perhaps + $100-$150 (this number is not much and you can still get the car you want but only extend this number when you already walked out the door then came back and negotiate this additional number). However, don't be afraid to walk out the door and leave if the price is not right or something is fishy (expect this!) I spent 5hrs at Capitol Honda and gone to the last step sitting in the finance office with the finance guy and about to sign the contact but, only to be turned away. Boy, we were mad as hell!!! But, then again it is a good thing that they were so greedy and did not sell me the car otherwise I would have a nightmare for the rest of my life of owning the car and knowing that I got ripped off from a horrible dealership. I got a better price at another dealer. How greedy Capitol Honda San Jose.
    • Expand your perimeter, perhaps drive a bit further (50 miles out) and you will sure get a better deal/price. I bought my 1984 Honda Accord (in 1984 of course) in Walnut Creek because all the dealers here played hard to get and gave me an attitude. I gave them a eff-off and drove out of town to get it. It is no big deal. Spent $50 (?) on gas but, I saved $700 and talked to a nicer sales staff. Talk about wanting to do and help local business. What is it with the car dealerships here in the San Jose area? Greed? Attitude?

Honda Civic LX and EX should be pretty easy to deal with these days now that is March.
    EX is about $2000 more than LX. I am sure you can get a better deal of $1000 difference between EX and LX. I would get an EX.

Good luck and have fun (shouldn't that be?) shopping.

• drookerdrooker Member Posts: 3

Was wondering if anyone can help. We live in NJ and thinking about buying a 2014 Honda Civic 4D Sedan EXL without navigation. Price I got so far was 21,511. This is before 7 percent tax, doc fees of 289 and dmv fees of about 289 as well. Any opinion on if this is a good price?

@drooker said:
    Was wondering if anyone can help. We live in NJ and thinking about buying a 2014 Honda Civic 4D Sedan EXL without navigation. Price I got so far was 21,511. This is before 7 percent tax, doc fees of 289 and dmv fees of about 289 as well. Any opinion on if this is a good price?

Edmunds shows invoice for a 2014 Civic EX-L (w/o Nav) as $21,918, so your price is just a few hundred dollars less than that. I would recommend that you read the last several pages of posts to see what others are paying for similar cars. You can probably do better if you shop around with several dealers - over the phone.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• someguy9someguy9 Member Posts: 2

FWIW, I closed on a 2014 Civic EX-L (no nav) and no other options for $21,366 before TTL.
    I suck at negotiating, but compared to Edmunds, KBB, Truecar, this appears to be a pretty good price.

Thanks for the input. the 21,918 is listed as the dealer price but a great price is 21,758 as an unusually low price for sale on True Car. So, I think anything below that appears to be good but I'm wondering if I am reading it wrong. I'm not sure if 21,918 is the actual invoice/tissue that a dealer pays????

• someguy9someguy9 Member Posts: 2
    Theoretically 21,918 is what the dealer pays. But there are all sorts of games in the form of hold backs etc that the dealer gets from corporate when they sell certain numbers of cars, etc
    But all us mere mortals have to work with is published MSRP and invoice prices and then sites like Edmunds, etc to find out what is happening price-wise in the market.

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone...We just finalized a price...21,300 (before tax, dmv fee of 286 and doc fee of 289 and insignificant tire fee of 7.50). I think it is pretty good...Appreciate the insight and help.

@drooker said:
    Thanks everyone...We just finalized a price...21,300 (before tax, dmv fee of 286 and doc fee of 289 and insignificant tire fee of 7.50). I think it is pretty good...Appreciate the insight and help.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new Civic!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• snailkitesnailkite Member Posts: 1

Just leased an LX for $175 down, $175/month with an $800 trade-in. Without trade it would be aruond $197 I think. Also, no disposition fee at end of lease.

I contacted the dealer through email, was told I was getting their internet price. I told them I was interested in the $0 down $210/month national offer and wanted to know the final price with all taxes, fees, etc. They came back with $195 down and $195/month. I was shocked! I sent several emails asking about any other out the door fees, taxes, disposition fees, anything at all. I was told no, that was it.

I get to the dealer and, you guessed it, they start talking, $195/month, plus (the wrong) sales tax, plus tag fees = some new higher price. I told my family to get up because we are leaving. This basically happened 3 more times as they kept trying to add in fees they didn't tell me about before. In the end I got the deal I was originally given through email, and a decent enough amount for my high-mileage, 2001 Elantra.

So, $195 x 326 months is a good target for an LX if you are getting a lease (that is ALL of the money we will give for the entire lease, they waived the disposition fee, too).

Good luck! Just keep "walking" until you get what you think is fair.

• hondaman82hondaman82 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2014

Hello, I just picked up a new 2014 Honda Civic 4 Door LX Automatic White color in Orange County , CA for $18800 OTD after $500 flex cash for finance through Honda at 1.9% APR. On the sale paper, the price of the car is $17600 + roughly 10% tax / tag, but they add $500 flex cash on top of my 3K down payment. My monthly payment $277 for 60 months. Hopefully this will help someone out there to get a good deal. Happy hunting!

• hondaman82hondaman82 Member Posts: 5

This thread is not very active? no one buy any 2014 civic at all? LOL

2014 Civic EX-L with Navigation $22,600 ($24,720 OTD) all cash. We were told the sales manager applied $500 flex cash (without financing) to get that price.... Whatever works. OC, CA

We almost walked because the first OTD price they showed us was over $28k, WTF?!

When we were signing, the finance guy offered $500 flex cash off an alarm system if we finance. I told him we would partially finance if flex cash was applied to the sale price without buying an alarm, paint protection or any other BS... He said no. I guess his "flex" cash ain't that flexible.

• hazelkohazelko Member Posts: 2

I just recently bought a 2014 Civic EX sedan for $21,005 OTD at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto! I'm very happy with the price. I originally got a different quote a week prior to getting my final quote. The first quote I got from them was $21,601.70 OTD which was pretty good since the MSRP for an 2014 EX was $21,880, but I decided to keep shopping around as I wanted something lower. Next week comes and I get an email saying that Anderson Honda is have a "Civic Week" which entailed Honda putting down $500 towards my down payment. I get another quote saying that the OTD for a 2014 Civic EX is now $21,005. I get hooked and exchange a few emails with a very helpful guy named Les St. Clair who is the internet sales manager and go in to talk about a purchase. Customer experience with Les was excellent and he never pressured me to buy any services or accessories for the civic. However, the finance guy I worked with, Ace, was a tiny bit pushy as he would try to sell us extended warranties and services even when we said no thanks. He used fear in his pitches for all the extra safety stuff which is perfectly understandable but it just didn't sit well with me (maybe because I was cynical towards the finance guy). Overall I'm very happy with the $21,005 OTD price I got for the 2014 Civic EX!

• dhart1268dhart1268 Member Posts: 9

I just purchased a 2014 Civic EX sedan for $19,500 OTD (including tax) at Honda of Waldorf in Maryland. I am hoping we got a good deal (the salesman thought so, but don't they always :smile: ) This included the Honda flex cash of $500. I shopped around a few dealers on line and created a bit of a bidding war. I probably could have gotten them down a bit further, but I needed a car by the end of the week. My salesperson was Steve Newman if this helps anyone, I am glad.

• ttg911ttg911 Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2014

Just inked the deal : 2014 Civic EX-L with Navigation for $21,959 and they are additionally applying $500 flex cash and $500 new grad as down payments for a final sales price of $20,959. I am still torn between leasing (.0003 or .72% money factor) or 1.9% for 60-months APR. Only other fees are: $295 doc fee, $125 new plates, and sales tax of 6.25% in MA. In addition, this dealer offers a $100 referral bonus and a friend referred me to the sales guy...easy deal and I shopped 2 other dealers via Internet Sales Managers and nobody would beat the deal...

Thoughts?

• stylinhondastylinhonda Member Posts: 52

dhart1268...Do you care to share the breakdown of your $19,500 out the door price? How much of it was taxes, doc fee etc? Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Sure: 2014 Civic EX Sedan

Selling Price            = $18395.81  
     Processing Fee        = $199.00
     Sales Tax (6%)        = $1115.69
     Honda Flex Cash      = (-$500)
     Registration             = $189.50
     Title/Lien Fees         = $100.00

Total Out the Door = $19,500.00

I put $7000 down and financed $12,500 for 48 months at 1.9% = $271/month.

Hope this helps someone else. Let me know your thoughts or questions.

I forgot to mention, the selling price of $18395.81 included the Destination fee of $795. Thanks.

• bmor1bmor1 Member Posts: 1

Dhart1268
    Thanks for the info. I test drove a civic 2014 today. I noticed there were 2013s at Waldorf. Is there a reason you went w/a 2014? Any performance or equipment improvements? I was quoted 17,500 freight included for an LX. Your price was very good.

edited April 2014
    There was another refresh done for 2014. check out the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/220978/2013-vs-2014-honda-civic-whats-the-difference.jsp

Since I had decided on the EX, the changes in technology were worth it for me. Your situation could be different.
    edited April 2014
    Hope this helps
  • anthony97anthony97 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the info from this forums. Just bought 2014 Civic LX at Sunnyvale,CA(bay area). OTD $19000(No Financing)
    Don't think this is a best deal. Really should get EX for 500 extra...

• anthony97anthony97 Member Posts: 2

Dealer offer 4 years full maintenance plan for 1250(with tax). Is this a good deal?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

$300/yr for maintenance for a Civic seems pricy... I'd take my chances, and pay as you go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2014
    I agree with kyfdx. How many miles that include ?
  • ksmoksmo Member Posts: 11

$16500 including doc fee for '14 Civic LX manual sedan. MSRP was roughly $|9200. This number is without taxes. Got special APR as well.

• 1985mb1985mb Member Posts: 60

How much relative to invoice do you think can be done on a 2014 Civic LX coupe (preferably manual)?

• suriyasuriya Member Posts: 9

Wow. This is the best price I have seen. Do you mind telling me the location?

Thanks

@dhart1268 said:
    Sure: 2014 Civic EX Sedan

Selling Price            = $18395.81  
     Processing Fee        = $199.00
     Sales Tax (6%)        = $1115.69
     Honda Flex Cash      = (-$500)
     Registration             = $189.50
     Title/Lien Fees         = $100.00

Total Out the Door = $19,500.00

I put $7000 down and financed $12,500 for 48 months at 1.9% = $271/month.

Hope this helps someone else. Let me know your thoughts or questions.

• wonjbwonjb Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2014

Hi all! Writing to see if my lease deal is considered good

2014 Civic Coupe LX CVT

$0 Down, $200 a month after tax.

I am in Los Angeles. Thanks!