Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of Edmunds Price Promise?

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016
edited January 8 in General

In our new, national TV ad, we promise easier car buying with upfront, locked-in prices. What do you think about that?

What do you think of Edmunds Price Promise?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016

Tell us what promises you've made and kept!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    edited January 8

This has been tried many times by many people. I do wish you well!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,708

agreed with Isell. But, while some people want to haggle, there is still IMO quite a lot that are still paranoid about the process, and would be happy to have a set "good" price to eliminate the negotiation price. Of course, others will just use that as a starting point to grind down the dealer more, but not really losing anything there.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• berriberri Posts: 4,213

But then you've still got the trade in...

• hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315

I agree most people have a trade and then what happens? The dealer wants to give you the same price as they can buy at the auction. That is when all these one low price deals fall apart.

• hercules00hercules00 Posts: 116

This is a much better concept than the 'guaranteed price' offered by some of your competitors.

Three years back I bought a car at the 'guaranteed price' and it went like a dream. All discussions over email and I got a very low price and the best lease terms. Even I was surprised - had technology finally outwitted dealers?

However, while buying another car a few months back, I realized that dealers had improvized. Now they will give you a guaranteed price certificate, with fine print that says the price is valid only if the EXACT car is in stock, which is rarely the case.

The VIN specific price guarantee is a much better concept. Just bought a Passat TDI (dealer eventually went even lower though).

However, I think you should hammer on the fact that your price is VIN specific. Your ad does not make that clear. Otherwise you are no different from at least 4 other competitors.

• robbiegrobbieg Posts: 327

Only a great idea if the price is actually a great price. For example, most buyers believe that the advertised no-haggle price is beatable at another dealer with very little effort.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762

If a host wants to send me a private email, I'll be happy to share my thoughts. Just not in a public forum.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 5,874

@isellhondas said: If a host wants to send me a private email, I'll be happy to share my thoughts. Just not in a public forum.

Sent you a PM via new forum message system. Check your inbox associated with your profile.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ken117ken117 Posts: 195

Not sure of any real issue if a dealer will only set a price an a specific vehicle. The buyer, once they get a price, knows that dealer's general pricing agenda. For anyone comfortable with math it should not be difficult to extrapolate to a different vehicle. No dealer can sell without the buyer buying. If the buyer does not like the price, the buyer can walk away. There is always another dealer.

The one problem I have with a price like Edmund's Price Promise is that it is, to a great degree, set by the dealer. It is not likely the dealer will set such a price at the lowest acceptable to the dealer. While such a price may be attractive to many buyers uncomfortable with the haggling process, it is doubtful the best price can ever be achieved without some negotiation.

Personally, I use such prices as a starting pricing point and negotiate downward to a lower final price.

• mdukesmdukes Laguna NiguelPosts: 2

Did you know that in 2012 89% of car buyers ended up purchasing something different than they originally inquired about? Staggering.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,007

@mdukes, it's also interesting to see what cars are being cross-shopped.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• buster6buster6 Posts: 104
    edited March 26

I tried it for a car I bought last week. I ended up buying from a dealer that I did not contact via price promise. My experience was that dealers on price promise would do 1 of 2 things.

1. tell you to come in as nothing can be done over the phone-- did not waste any time with those dealers
    2. give a price, but added in "fancy wax" and "nitrogen for the tires" so there discount was not real and made up with "BS" fees.

I ended up with a dealer that was pleasant to work with on the phone and was able to deal structure my lease easily. I found him on an online enthusiast forum. He knew all about the car I was buying and had a reputation to maintain with other forum members. It worked out well. I was willing to travel 400 miles away from home to have that experience.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116

@mdukes said: Did you know that in 2012 89% of car buyers ended up purchasing something different than they originally inquired about? Staggering.

that's because, in some cases at least, they carry their cell phones into the showroom with them.

They go to the dealer to "showroom" a certain car (try it out but buy it elsewhere), end up seeing something else they like, then punch into their cell phone for invoice #s or product reviews, and then, (now "captive" by the dealership), can often be talked into some other car they had no intention of "showrooming". e.g. "For just a little bit more we can get you into a......"

I think Price Promise works best for people who are pretty much decided on what they want.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• saratogastevesaratogasteve San Jose, CaPosts: 19

I recently purchased a vehicle using the price "promise" on Edmunds and while I did take up a dealer on their offer, other dealers wouldn't offer a price without asking me to come in for a test drive or some other lame excuse not to offer a price. Even with the price I got, my initial reaction was - if that's their initial offer I must have room to negotiate. But through the comments area of prices paid, I determined the offer to be a solid no haggle price. Still I worried about surprises and asked that the salesmen to put in writing that there was no after market added items such as an alarm, "lifetime" was, seat protector, $200 pin stripes.....that sort of thing - and to break out the OTD price including all fees, tax, title and registration. - in the end it worked out, but some dealers still refuse to participate by suggesting you 'come on down' will treat you right!' mantra without a price up front. I also might add that the purchase process was very smooth until the finance guy started the aftermarket selling process - trying to convince me that something eventually would go wrong with my brand new car and that I shouldn't drive off without an extended warranty. I had to tell this individual, after painfully listening to his awkward sales pitch, "no thanks, I never buy that stuff" over and over and over. And as I'm walking out his little door - he again insisted he couldn't believe I would pass on such a "great opportunity". I wanted to scream 'STFU!', and give me the keys to my new car so I can get out of here before I lose my dignity.

• 1985mb1985mb Posts: 54

Around here (metro NYC), I think it's almost pointless unless you obligate dealers to state their doc/processing fees upfront. NY dealers cannot charge more than $75, while NJ dealers can charge any fee they want--so they lowball you on the initial "Promise" and then make it up on another line item. The only way to make prices really comparable is to state prices that include EVERYTHING except tax, title, and license paid to the state.

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 154

I wanted to scream 'STFU!', and give me the keys to my new car so I can get out of here before I lose my dignity.>

Been there, done that. But not this last time around, the “finance guy” turned out to be a beautiful young woman. I could have sat there and listened to her for hours. Being old and very experienced, I have lots of sales resistance, so there was no chance of my actually buying anything. But I listened very carefully to everything she said. Heck, I wouldn’t mind going back and doing it again!

The only way to make prices really comparable is to state prices that include EVERYTHING except tax, title, and license paid to the state.>

No, the only way to make prices comparable is to compare the amount you have to write on the check. If you’re shopping across state lines, and there is a difference in taxes, that might make it unfair to the dealer, but your intent is to write a check for the least amount possible. Period.